Looking for part-time, at home work

Retired senior looking for part-time, work-from-home or part-time close to home position to help supplement SS. Would prefer work-from-home as I may not have a vehicle in the future and travel - especially in winter - would be an issue.  Have secretarial, bookkeeping, data entry and other skills.  Proficient with Quickbooks Pro, 2016 was last edition I worked with but would have no problems with newer.  

Highlighted

Retired senior looking for part-time, work-from-home or part-time close to home position to help supplement SS. Would prefer work-from-home as I may not have a vehicle in the future and travel - especially in winter - would be an issue.  Have secretarial, bookkeeping, data entry and other skills.  Proficient with Quickbooks Pro, 2016 was last edition I worked with but would have no problems with newer.  

Jan 31, 2020 Solution
Highlighted

Jan 31, 2020 Solution
Highlighted

Hello @pookie99 - sounds like you have some concrete skills to offer. Have you looked for Virtual Assistant positions where you work for a larger company that sends projects / assignments your way? You might want to start there if you have a strong internet connection at home. Another option would be to talk to local small businesses who may have a need for an extra set of hands but they're too busy to advertise it. You could start by doing research (preferably in person), asking several of them what their needs are (if any), what their budget is (if any), and then put together a little portfolio of your accomplishments and pitch your services to help out. Again, I recommend you find out what the needs are (if any) before going through the work of putting together an offering. Let us know how it goes! Good luck. 

Jan 31, 2020 Solution
Highlighted

All sounds good but being retired and on SS, I don't get enough to pay the bills therefore no money for gas for the car to get out and do that kind of thing.  And probably within a few months, the person living with me will be moving out and then I'll be losing my car because the money they put into the household paid the car payment, insurance and other bills.  I will, however, check into virtual assistant positions; another good suggestion but the bigger question is who do you trust?  Thank you very much for the help.

Highlighted

I'm so glad you found some of the advice useful. Heres the cool thing about the internet, if you know how to navigate correctly you don't  really have to trust anyone. one of the 1st things that could be done when closing in on an opportunity is to run your own background check on any possible employers.

Feb 7, 2020 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted

That is a great tip @Marcy777! Not necessarily for everyone depending on what your priorities are (like if you want to stay near family), but totally within the realm of possibility as a general rule and maybe something many don't consider. Definitely do your research on where you want to end up to make sure they have everything you would need, how to go about the process to dot all yours i's and cross all your t's.

@pookie99 how are you managing at this point? Did you find some supplemental income working from home?

Mar 31, 2020 Solution
Highlighted

Just be very, very cautious about 'work from home' positions.   More and more of these 'offers' are scams which involve sending you worthless checks to deposit in your bank to immediately 'transfer' to another account, or have you receiving goods purchases with stolen credit cards and 'forwarding' them to addresses in foreign countries.  When the pay is absurdly high for the given job, that's your first red light that something is amiss.  

Tuesday Solution
Highlighted

Just be really careful about 'work from home' positions.  So many of them are scams which expect you to deposit worthless checks in your baking account and 'transfer' funds to another account, or giving someone your back account information, or receiving goods purchased with stolen credit cards and sending them to foreign countries.  If a job is offering a salary significantly higher than you would typically expect to make on that kind of job, this is your first clue something is wrong.  

Tuesday Solution
Highlighted

Hi @IvaRiddle & @pookie99,

Thanks for sharing! Here are some additional things to keep in mind and be on the lookout for when conducting a search, including common details of check scams:

https://support.indeed.com/hc/en-us/articles/216354123-Guidelines-for-Safe-Job-Search

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/common-signs-of-fraud

You can also find tips on remote positions at https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/find-remote-work-on-indeed

Best of luck in your search!

Ryan

This information is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only. We are not career or legal advisors and do not guarantee job interviews or offers.
Tuesday Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

You also are likely a candidate for freelance or contract work for companies that need help with short-term admin projects. I would try to get listed on LinkedIn ProFinder so that these types of businesses can find you. Also check out Indeed listings for freelance opportunities. 

Feb 1, 2020 Solution
Highlighted

Hello @pookie99,

There are so many (valid) work-from-home jobs that are available today. Clark Howard, a popular consumer expert, put together a comprehensive 'Work From Home Guide' (that's the name of it). It's online, and I'm sure you'll find that list very helpful.  Also, check out sites like Upwork and Fiverr. While this may not be your goal, you'll find many freelancers on both sites making more than six figures. I hope this helps! Keep us posted on your progress! 

Wishing you all the best,

Coach WKiser

Feb 10, 2020 Solution
Highlighted

Hi @pookie99 

It sounds like you have a lot of skills to offer. I do agree with the other coaches, fortunately, there are more opportunities to work from home these days and it is very common. As coach @Alex_B mentioned, Linkedin ProFinder would be a good place to start and get your name out to where businesses/companies and see you. Recruiters, more often than not, use the LinkedIn platform as a way to find potential candidates for what they are seeking. Here you can write a complete bio and list all of your experiences/qualifications on your page. Hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you! 

Highlighted
Highlighted

Hi @pookie99,

Hope all is well on your end. If you are still looking for work, please take a look at this link below. This is an updated list of companies hiring during COVID-19. It might be useful during your search.

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/urgently-hiring-employers

This information is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only. We are not career or legal advisors and do not guarantee job interviews or offers.
Monday Solution