Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No jobs!!

Since the CARES ACT is ending and I have tried to find employment since we were allowed to be out; I have had nothing but rejection emails. I am older and I imagine it doesn’t help. The emails say they went with another candidate then I find they are still hiring!  Not sure what others are thinking by saying so many jobs are now available. This is simply not true!!! If you are not 21 with a Masters there is really nothing out there, even at terrible wages. 

Highlighted

Since the CARES ACT is ending and I have tried to find employment since we were allowed to be out; I have had nothing but rejection emails. I am older and I imagine it doesn’t help. The emails say they went with another candidate then I find they are still hiring!  Not sure what others are thinking by saying so many jobs are now available. This is simply not true!!! If you are not 21 with a Masters there is really nothing out there, even at terrible wages. 

Jul 31, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Highlighted
Highlighted

I agree that it is very difficult out there. I'm not 21, but I do have a Masters. I am still getting the same response you are. Also, unless they start to college while still in high school, they couldn't have a Masters at 21 either.

In response to your main point, I believe what we are seeing is absorption. The position being advertised as required by law per state is likely being given to someone from within and the position being left is being dissolved to "tighten the belt," during this uncertain time. This has actually been my suspicion since even before COVID-19, and surely is even more so the case now. 

Of course, age should never be a consideration in the hiring process, and it is my hope that HR departments truly live what they learn. If you would like a suggestion, perhaps you could consider non-profit organizations that are more "grassroots" driven and hire people within the demographic that they serve. For example, programs that offer services to your specific age group. 

Something I plan to try myself is volunteering within the organization or business where I would like to work. It would work like an internship, perhaps. I know these are options within a lot of non-profits. We have free time, and they need help. It is a resume builder if nothing else. I hope these suggestions are helpful. 

Highlighted
Highlighted

I am 100% with you on this one .. I keep all emails from Indeed on jobs i have applied for and I have been looking for 3 years and I have been rejected for every one and again I find that these positions are still looking to be filled.  Like you, I am older.  There is no possible way that these employers cannot use my skills and experience. I'm also trying to figure out why you need a degree to answer a company phone courteously

Highlighted

I agree right! And when you call a company and the receptionist sounds like a child with no kind of phone etiquette, you start to lose your mind and talk crap in your head, in the meantime, you're still having to repeat yourself over and over again in trying to leave a message or talk to someone that can help you.

SMH...

Aug 1, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

Stay optimistic; look for a lower role in same location, different location same role, and keep hitting the interview monster roulette. Goodluck!

My experience has been similar and I moved from looking at manager/tech-lead to individual contributor role to better the odds in a buyers(aka employers) market.

Highlighted

I couldn't agree with you more on this topic since there is a lot discrimination when it comes to hiring out there even in the sensitive areas of age. The government has failed to hold accountable the job market industry and nowadays companies just do whatever they want. However, you still have solutions. if you feel that you have been discriminated because of age then you have the option to file a complaint with the labor department to hold accountable the specific company or business that discriminated  and that should teach them a lesson.

Highlighted

Sorry your are having a hard time finding work they are going to renew the benefits soon have you thought about taking a online certification with the time you will have with the next cares act that my help you find work  

Aug 1, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Hi @Hsbsbn99,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear about your current situation. These are some challenging times right now due to the pandemic. COVID-19 has had a huge impact on the economy, and jobs. It is difficult to navigate through it and continue your career.

Here's a list of resources that can help you with your search:

How to Find the Best Jobs for You

Explore Potential Career Paths

Companies Hiring Now

Indeed Gigs: Find Gigs, Side Jobs and Short-Term Employment Near You

Best of luck to you in your job search! 

This information is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only. We are not career or legal advisors and do not guarantee job interviews or offers.
Aug 2, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for all the posts. Sometimes age comes with biases and you need to over come these obstacles. Todays workforce is changing though, I see if first hand everyday! So stay positive and believe that you can succeed, no matter what! When you have the idea that everything is age discrimination, it can be deflating to your mental health. It becomes more your bias at that point than the company you are accusing has it. 

My professional and personal advice(I am over 40) on how to get past this bias, is simple!  Take some chances and step into the gray area of life, make yourself relevant, and keeping an open mind! Now this will take some work on your end because it will require you to challenge all the beliefs you have about the workforce!(not your skill set but how you think the workforce works!) Which is hard to stomach when you have 25+ years of experience. Start by doing something you usually wouldn't! Maybe something you feel only someone 25 - 35 yrs old would do. An example would be creating a video resume for yourself. Tape yourself selling yourself! Stepping out of your comfort zone and opening your mind to new things is refreshing. 

Make yourself relevant again! Cut that resume down to that last 10 years of experience, with the most marketable of your skills in that 10 years. No one needs to know what you did in the 90's anymore. Also tailor your resume to each job you apply to! This will help you know what works best in your resume and what doesn't! It will also show the interviewer what they need to see and not what you believe is important. Staying relevant goes beyond the resume and in the cyber world. Get involved online! Join skill set related groups, add connections to your linkedin account, beef up your linkedin account, etc.. Go where the generation that is hiring is..

Keep an open mind! You posses some amazing experience but not all is still relevant. So open your mind to others thoughts, ideas, and beliefs. This one will be hard for you(was for me), because it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks. With 25+ years of experience, you naturally feel that you know best. Unfortunately that is not always true. After 50, the 30+ yr olds are hiring and they think different. So adapt by staying open to new ways and mindsets. 

Lastly, Never rely on your past experience and degree to get you that job.(A degree alone will never get you a job!) The competition is fierce right now and you need to elevate your game. When you sell yourself don't lead with your years of experience and degree, lead with what you do!!!  So tell me about yourself... we all get that question.. how do you answer that? Try answering that without saying the years of experience you have and more about what skills you possess. I am a career engineer with a strong concentration in transportation management. What I pride myself on is doing this.. Then explain what excites you about being an engineer, giving examples of work that pertain to the job opening you are interviewing for....  mix it up.. step out the box.. then how long you have been doing it not your lead.... 

I hope this was helpful and best of luck in your job searches. Stay safe. 

This information is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only. We are not career or legal advisors and do not guarantee job interviews or offers.
Aug 12, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

I agree I am a 40-year-old female lost a 17-year-old job and had to start from scratch and if you’re not a teenager these companies don’t want you I’ve been through is three major companies so far and they want teenagers so they can tell him what to do and cut corners. I live in Gatlinburg Tennessee it’s really hard here because the job I keep applying for bookkeeping they don’t wanna hire me because I don’t know but I keep seeing the same job that I’ve applied for still looking still look and still looking yeah these companies need to give us old folks  A chance is it a higher and all these teenagers with a big fancy degree at right at the Because were smarter that’s my two cents sorry if you don’t like it by Rachel

Aug 6, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

I am having the same experience.  I never imagined being 60 years old with a Finance degree and not being considered for anything outside of sales.  I have had a lot of success in sales but after losing a job due to a momentary lapse of reason where I was making a healthy six figure income, I have lost my confidence.  Like a carpenter or painter losing their arms, a salesperson without confidence is disabled.  Now I'm applying for jobs that pay very little and having no success; age discrimination is alive and well!

Highlighted

I'm older, have a masters degree in my field that I got later in life, went to a prestigious university, had a great track record at three major tech companies, worked in analytics and AI for the 10 years, have done presentations to audiences from 1 to 300 people, went to "club" and exceeded quota, and am having the same issue.  Add to the mix that I am female.  I do thorough research on each company I apply to and only apply to those where I know I am qualified (sometimes over qualified)  I use a resume scanning tool to make sure I'm using the right tense, plural or multiple, etc.  My resume is usually between 87-100% match for the job I've applied for.  I'm willing to relocate at my expense.  Still nothing.  It's a tough market.

Highlighted

I have been out of work for 5 years now.  I hold a BS in Geology, MSc in Geophysics, worked for major service providers, implemented software, taught courses, trained and mentored staff, wrote instructional manuals, processed data, did some geology and nada.  Thousands of jobs applied for.   Nothing.  Customized resumes didn't help.  Playing the keyword game didn't help.  Reaching out directly to people, nothing.  Built my own website, nothing.  Most of my colleagues that did end up getting employed again have no kids, took pay hits, travel extensively and work excessive hours (avg. 60/wk).   I am overqualfied for some jobs and still get rejected.   45 yrs old now, male.    

Most jobs I see are contract, horrible hours, lots of travel, extensive skills (10 yrs of experience, recent experience, operator experience, programming, juggle 3 cats, sales, etc.) and mediocre pay.  

I had one interview where I aced their math questions.  I did fine in the interview and was rejected because I didn't tell them enough stories about my experience with difficult clients.  I told 2 stories about that, and 1 story about difficult colleagues when requested to.  Apparently I was supposed to drone on about negatives?  When people ask me what I have been doing the answer is always met with horror.  I took care of the kids, household, did some small contract work, volunteered at schools.  

I used to hire people.  I understand that resume's cannot possibly be detailed enough.   I understand that single interviews are not great at getting to know the person because of the emotion involved.   I also hear useless advice all of the time.  Fix the resume.  I have had people in and out of my industry comment and help me with my resume.  Zero impact.   C-level folks outside of my industry.  Zero impact.   The whole "focus on one job you really want" is B.S.   

Aug 7, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

I’m 45 with + years in my field. I’ve worked in many human services areas and prior to my serious health issues I got the jobs I applied for. 2013- 2020 brought me job loss due to health issues, surgery and finally released by my Docs to go back. Jan 1 I started applying and then we were all thrown for a loop. Now.. I get asked to submit my resume.. and nothing. Same employer.. 6 requests for resume and 13 applications. No response.. but a week later the same job will be posted. Over qualified for be a convenience store manager and out out of the field to long to get back into mental health.. rock and hard place.. and don’t know how to fix it. 

Aug 12, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted