Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What fields of work to look into?

It is hard to find employment right now during the COVID pandemic, on top of having mental disabilities and physical health concerns that make working difficult. I cannot think of an in-person job I would be capable of taking on right now in general, especially not wanting to expose myself daily to the virus. Remote work is hard to come by as well that doesn't include speaking over the phone. I have a hard time processing speech over the phone as well as immense anxiety regarding speaking on it. Plus my living conditions at home do not allow for me to voice chat with anyone.

I wouldn't mind work outside, or physical work where I won't have to be in contact with people, but I'm unsure what jobs that would entail. I thought the closest job I could do would be something like delivery driver like Doorda/sh or something, but that is still too much contact with other people than I am comfortable exposing myself to daily, right now. 

I've been trying to apply for disability SSI but it is a long and tricky process. In the meantime I have mainly been supported by a caring friend while my freelance art career is something I can hardly keep up with despite being a hobby I do the most. Even when I rarely get any commissions. 

Truly, I cannot work when I cannot even get myself out of bed to do something I enjoy, such as even just playing a videogame; but if anyone has suggestions for job positions I could possibly take on during this time, I would greatly appreciate it and would look into what my options could be.

Highlighted

It is hard to find employment right now during the COVID pandemic, on top of having mental disabilities and physical health concerns that make working difficult. I cannot think of an in-person job I would be capable of taking on right now in general, especially not wanting to expose myself daily to the virus. Remote work is hard to come by as well that doesn't include speaking over the phone. I have a hard time processing speech over the phone as well as immense anxiety regarding speaking on it. Plus my living conditions at home do not allow for me to voice chat with anyone.

I wouldn't mind work outside, or physical work where I won't have to be in contact with people, but I'm unsure what jobs that would entail. I thought the closest job I could do would be something like delivery driver like Doorda/sh or something, but that is still too much contact with other people than I am comfortable exposing myself to daily, right now. 

I've been trying to apply for disability SSI but it is a long and tricky process. In the meantime I have mainly been supported by a caring friend while my freelance art career is something I can hardly keep up with despite being a hobby I do the most. Even when I rarely get any commissions. 

Truly, I cannot work when I cannot even get myself out of bed to do something I enjoy, such as even just playing a videogame; but if anyone has suggestions for job positions I could possibly take on during this time, I would greatly appreciate it and would look into what my options could be.

Aug 7, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Aug 7, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

I have the same problem. I have a Masters and Bachelors Degree in music, I am autistic, and I have several medical conditions as well as being in my 50s. I cannot teach, but I compose and arrange music and play music very well on my instrument. I had a job in the past during graduate school doing shelf maintenance for the library on campus. I enjoyed that job very much because it did not involve speaking to people or being on the phone. Unfortunately,  and job that I have tried outside of music has been a disaster due to my autism and medical issues. My last nonmusic job was having to deal with customers over the phone and unfortunately, I had a meltdown and was gone from that job after that. I have applied so many times over so many years with no reply at or the reply, "You are not a good fit" that I just plain gave up. Unfortunately, what I do that does make a little bit of money with something I do well, is not happening due to COVID 19. So, that income is not there. So I am on my own. I would like something to do part-time along the lines of shelf maintenance in a library. I do not do well in busy or noisy environments. I like to work alone when I am not playing my music at something that requires next to no communication. When I am on a task, I am very focused. 
Another thing is that I cannot drive due to my sensory issues and too much going on at the same time. 

Aug 8, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

I always hope I can find part time jobs that don't impose every role onto one employee, but it is hard to come by those (as I wouldn't mind stocking shelves in a library either! But lots of places with job roles like that require you to take on other positions you may not be comfortable with.)

I'm not sure if you have tried vocational rehabilitation, but it is a free service that can help you find work, or allow you to get hired someplace while given accomodations and other help. I have tried it personally but I find that I'm really not able to get suited to daily work, personally. It is a bit of a lengthy process, but can be really helpful in even just the job search area.

Overall though, it is seeming more like freelance, self employed work online is what's becoming most successful for people. I am not sure how tech savvy you are, but I think you could consider online teaching or creating music/composing tutorials, and offer that kind of work through a website like patreon (where people subscribe to you monthly, and each month you can upload some videos, music recordings, or text-based composing tutorials.) Or, record and upload your music to youtube or other music websites. You don't have to be in the video either. Just some suggestions, though I know it is hard to keep to work where you set your own schedule, as well as breaking into those fields and gaining a following; since you need that before you may start making money.

I wish you luck too in your job search!

Aug 9, 2020 Solution by original poster