Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on relocating without a job lined up.

Hello everyone. I feel like I need to leave NJ. Opportunities for a solid career and a livable wage are very bad here. There are lots of jobs in my field of interest out in Montana and North Dakota. Unfortunately, I don't have the savings needed to relocate without anything lined up. I've tried that before, and had to move back home. It was very depressing. I don't want that to happen again. Employers did not take me seriously when I applied using my NJ address either. I also think there would be less competition for jobs out in those states, since they are less desirable.
Highlighted
Hello everyone. I feel like I need to leave NJ. Opportunities for a solid career and a livable wage are very bad here. There are lots of jobs in my field of interest out in Montana and North Dakota. Unfortunately, I don't have the savings needed to relocate without anything lined up. I've tried that before, and had to move back home. It was very depressing. I don't want that to happen again. Employers did not take me seriously when I applied using my NJ address either. I also think there would be less competition for jobs out in those states, since they are less desirable.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
The thing is let's say you move out there and get a job, what happens 6 months from now, a year from now, two years from now you lose that job...then what! Are you just going to pick up and move again?

I would not recommend moving soley on just a job alone. Move because you truly want to move to that area and you like the area itself, you like the people, the culture, the weather, etc...

The reality is no job is permanent. Make sure you move to an area that has multiple opportunities so that if you lose one job the city is diverse enough so that you can easily get another job.

Always think two jobs ahead.
Highlighted
Are you talking about jobs in the oil boom area? I would start looking at the cost of housing and job availability for the areas you are interested in. I was out there two years ago and we had to drive 100 miles out of our way to find a crappy hotel room for over $100. There are a lot of people out there working very hard and sleeping in their cars at night because there is no where else to live.

I would invest a grand in a one or two week trip out there to meet employers. Schedule a bunch of interviews ahead of time or find out about job fairs. Hotels/camping can be hard to find in the oil boom areas, but there is plenty of cheap/free camping in other parts of those states.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Don't do it unless:
1. you got like $20,000 saved for living expenses to hold you over
2. you have someone home in NJ who can send you money such as a parent

You will be miserable, hungry, stressed and will eventually give up and move back home.

I applied for jobs in Portland, Oregon and I am not from that state, but they called me back for a phone interview next wed; atop the resume I wrote SEEKING TO PERMANENTLY RELOCATE TO PORTLAND, OREGON. They called me back with a non Oregon address.
Highlighted
It was pretty amazing to see the boom towns -- we were just passing through, traveling around the country. Both of us had looked at the jobs out there thinking that it might be a fun way to spend a few months in a different part of the world, but the wages weren't actually that good -- you made a lot of money because you could work 80 hours a week, and then you would have to spend half of it living in some RV, hopefully with access to plumbing...
Highlighted
Highlighted
I just remembered how there seemed to be plenty of jobs and companies that were willing to relocate a good employee. Remember the days of free tuition if you wanted more education? The only catch is that you had to maintain a certain average. We really did have some good opportunities in the day.
Aug 10, 2014 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
I went to school that way. It was years later but the company that I worked for paid most of my college tuition.

When I graduated high school back in The Dark Ages, college wasn't on my radar. Course, I already had a job even before I graduated.

My sister, brother and cousin all had jobs within a month after graduating high school and it wasn't flipping burgers anyway.
Highlighted
I moved from Detroit to Ohio 6 years ago with $1,500 to my name, no job lined up, family or housing plan. I lived in a motel and everyday I was out applying to jobs and going to the local workforce development center. After two months of motel living and several rejections from jobs and being down to $300 I got a job. It took me 6 months after getting a job to get a place and through workforce development I got funding for school so It can be done you just have to be prepared for the ups & downs that come with it. Good luck to you.