Why am I having such a hard time finding a job

Against all popular media propaganda, the job market is a beast. Since Christmas is not that long when compared to some others' stories. So take care of yourself and stay encouraged while you keep filling out those applications.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Well college for service sector jobs immediately screens you out. It is just that way Walmart and McDonald's have enough applicants they don't want a college grad. The job competition in your field is probably fierce. There are not enough jobs. Tell your family that. When submitting your cover letter and resume make sure it is tailored to the job description. Use the same words as in the job description. So many businesses use computers to screen and they are looking for certain words before the application gets sent to HR. If there is a section for desired pay say negotiable or low ball. They are looking for the low bidder. If you have experience what field could you parlay that to which might open up other types of jobs to apply to? Look for part time and on call that is what is really out there these days. A job of any kind is better than nothing.
Highlighted
Christmas? May here. The past is the past so I start each day a new, because that's the only thing that keeps me going. One company has 18 of my applications, and I'll send in #19 for the next job that I qualify for just to give them a laugh. What do I have to loose? What else can one do? Good luck.
Highlighted
Quincy, Illinois is the second highest unemployed state, nearly standing at almost 9% unemployment. You are not doing anything wrong. Keep trying. Try to find temp work in your field or maybe do some freelance work.

But you need to realize that the job market is horrible right now, especially in Illinois.
Highlighted
Honestly....what kind of bubble do people live in? It makes me so mad....how can your inlaws/parents whomever not know whats going on out there? Do they not watch the news? Read the newspaper? It's astonishing.

If you're secure in a job and haven't looked in a long time not 'getting it' makes some sense but it just seems so foolish.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Keep trying! I'm a college grad also but I'm not married nor do I have a family; I have to do it all on my own.

I've been unemployed for three months now and it's difficult and I'm in Florida, which also has a high unemployment rate. However, I'm not giving up and you shouldn't either.
Highlighted
Well what do you know. A woman of so called faith who blasted other people for not working doesn't have a job herself. Didn't you say that if a man doesn't work he shouldn't eat? Yes that is exactly what you posted in the "Unemployed and looked down upon" thread. You shouldn't be eating according to your logic. You also said there is no excuse for anyone to not be working who isn't disabled. So why are you not working? Why don't you have a job? There is no excuse remember. It doesn't matter if it is difficult you should be working. Gee people like you really crack me up with your blatant hypocrisy. Pretty tough when the shoe is on the other foot.
Highlighted
Once again, this has nothing to do with me or you. Please stop STALKING my posts, and being mad when I or other people say things that you don't like! You will have to deal with people's opinions, criticisms and judgments for the rest of your life, unfortunately.

Also, if you're in the same situation as that young lady from the previous topic, please do all you can to get out of it so you can stop being mad at me because I told you the truth.

Find something else to put your energy into, and God bless!
Highlighted
Watching the news wouldn't help them... the news is saying that the jobs report looks good.... please. I have a job but I'm still looking because I took this job as a survival job (it's not what I want to do, but I'm grateful to have it, it meets my needs). To try to get 'a better job' seems like a pipe dream. It is very hard to find a job. Technically, I've been looking for a job off and on for several years (even though I've been employed).
Highlighted
I feel your frustration. I too am a college graduate, and have been looking for work since May. My family is disgusted with me. Hopefully things will change soon for you. Keep your head up and stay positive. Something will come through for you soon.
Highlighted
Highlighted
I’m a college graduate who has filled out countless applications, most online, but some in person. I can’t get a job. My grades in college were excellent, but I lack job experience, & these days nobody wants to train or hire anyone without experience.

I too am absolutely frustrated when I hear people tell me, “This is the best job market in years!" (They hear that on the news, but it’s not true!) These people who say this have been steadily employed at the same job for years (often decades), so they have NO CLUE what it’s like to apply for a job in this day and age!

My brother didn’t even know what an “auto-reject email" is! Email & online applications didn’t even EXIST back when my brother got HIS steady and well-paying job. Same with my other brother. Both my brothers have great steady well-paying jobs that they got back in the 80s!

My brother who hates me tells my other brother that it’s easy enough to get a job these days, so obviously I’m just lazy and not even trying.

“Bad" brother has managed to convince my other brother that it’s a “great job market", so that means that I must be “lazy" and “not trying".

Rotten brother has said many far worse lies about me—vicious personal attacks on my reputation and character. He hates me and will say ANYTHING to try to make me look bad. However, I never would have expected that my better brother would buy into any of that crap. But he has, which means that I get zero sympathy or even advice from the person whom I thought was my “better" brother.

My friends either are steadily employed or are in situations where they don’t need to work, so there is NO ONE in real life who can relate to the frustration that I’m going through. You’re not alone. I’m thankful that this board exists, otherwise I might think I was the only one who’s struggling.
Highlighted
The job market IS strong, though. The US is in the 7th straight year of job growth, unemployment rate (not just the main U3 number, but by almost all measurements) has been dropping since mid-2010, pay rates have been increasing faster than inflation for the last 4-5 years, and the US economy is in the longest economic recovery period that we've had in 70 years. I'm not saying it's easy to find a job, but the job market (in the vast majority of the country) is stronger than it has been in a long time.
Highlighted
Highlighted
"Corporate BS"? Sorry, just about every piece of research (from government agencies and private firms) have shown that average wages have been increasing fairly steadily since 2010, with the lowest 20% or so of earners seeing the highest increases. I've been part of numerous compensation review projects over the last several years, and time and time again we're seeing pay rates increase - our company just implemented a 20%-25% raise for a vast majority of our hourly employees throughout the country to keep up with rising pay rates.

I get that most people on here don't want to hear what I have to say (since I'm from the "other side"), but just because you don't like it doesn't make it incorrect.
Highlighted
I don't know anyone who received a 20% - 25% increase in their salary in one year unless of course it was part of the minimum wage increase that briefly took effect here in St. Louis City proper and then was reversed back to the starting point.

So tell us exactly where and how you source all of your candidates and the industry you are in? What parameters do you enter into your ATS to rank candidates, etc?
Highlighted
Highlighted
After a six year stint of unemployment, I finally found a job about 3.5 years ago. My starting wage was the same as I was making in 2001. I went the first two years without any raise at all.

Around my third year anniversary, I received my first raise: about 3.68%. In other words, only slightly above the rate of inflation and absolutely nowhere near the 20-25% quoted above.

And I still have a long way to go from my 2001 salary to get anywhere near what I might supposedly be worth in 2017.
Highlighted
Average HR Guy in MICHIGAN - you're a joke. You work for Donald? What kind of car you driving? What kind of tap water you drinking? You got a little scrap metal business going on the side? You get a fresh new start reorganizing through bankruptcy?

Yes, based on the new laws enacted in MICHIGAN you may work for a company that increased the minimum wage rate to $9.25 per hour in 2018. This is by law. Repeat. By law. Hourly wage.

MICHIGAN - THE LAND OF ENDLESS JOB OPPORTUNITY AND WEALTH!!!!!!!

"December 1, 2015 – Effective January 1, 2016, Michigan workers will see an increase in the minimum wage rate from $8.15 to $8.50. This new change to state law marks the second of a gradual 25 percent increase of the minimum wage resulting in $9.25 per hour by 2018."
Highlighted
Gee, thanks!

Nope, private manufacturer (as I noted in my above post).

A 13 year old Honda. Getting up there in miles, but it runs well.

Same city-provided water as everyone else?

Nope.

Nope.

That's great, but as I stated in my previous post, we increased pay rates 20%-25% across the country, not just in Michigan. Also, the minimum wage increase that went into effect in MI was a only a 4% increase from last year (2017 was $8.90).
Highlighted
Highlighted
I'm kind of getting sick of the jabs on here about how just because I work in HR, there's something wrong with me. I've been coming around here off and on for 3+ years (not always under the same username), and it never fails that someone chirps in with some comment about how whatever I have to say is null and void, or how my profession is worthless.

I come here to try and help people and offer insight from the "other side of the table" (because I have BEEN on both sides) and nothing more. If you don't want to hear it, fine, but this name-calling stuff is simply uncalled for.
Highlighted
Sorry. There are more bad people in HR than good and the bad ones give the few good ones a bad name.

I meet a lot of people in HR, and this includes hiring managers, who really have no business being there to begin with. The bad ones keep screwing over decent people like myself, and many others here, who really need a job. They're totally rude, inept even and you kind of start wondering how they got their to begin with. After awhile, they start to paint themselves as awful people.
Highlighted
Are there bad people in HR? Sure, just like there are in any profession. However, the vast majority are "good people" - and that's true in every company I've worked for.

I think that on a board where people are consistently asking for employers to "give people a chance" or "not judge a book by it's cover", there might be some awareness when they are judging others.
Highlighted
"[Eva in San Francisco, California] I’m a college graduate who has filled out countless applications, most online, but some in person. I can’t get a job. My grades in college were excellent, but I lack job experience, & these days nobody wants to train or hire anyone without experience."
I am in the same exact boat. I am a recent graduate and was awarded Summa Cum Laude and have volunteered many times in the past. However, I am having trouble finding a job as I lack a variety of job experience. I also hear the same thing from other people about "many jobs being available in the current market". It has me wondering while there may be many jobs out there, these companies may be very selective as competition is high. It feels good to know that I am not the only person currently facing this issue.
Highlighted
Highlighted
For any given job opening, there are dozens, if not hundreds of people that also applied for that job. I moved to DC from Florida after six months of being unable to find a job. I moved back, thought that three more years of experience and a certification would help me find a job. So far nope. I got a job offer before moving back which was contingent on passing a background check which I did, but they put the job on hold. Right now I'm back to square one.
Highlighted
Nobody, except, maybe, the top 20 percent of income earners got 20% bump in wages.

The problem with citing statistics is that the wages of CEOs and other very high income earners tend to distort averages.

There are a few things that can imitate rising wages, like rising debt; the creation of speculative bubbles in the last two years in sectors like housing and cryptocurrency, where a few people get rich.

The U.S. federal reserve is thinking about raising interest rates, which you have been told to interpret as the government being confident in thinking everyone can handle higher interest payments because they are earning more in real wages, but I think it may be to discourage speculative investment so that less and less people who can't afford more debt become collateral.

People lying about the economy is not a partisan thing. No oolitican who wants to keep their job will be honest with the public about the economy. They can be a little honest, like when George W. Bush wanted people to "work harder" or when Obama suggests more education beyond high school is necessary to succeed in the job market, but, they won't say everything that they know, and many of them don't know more than anyone reading this.

There's an economist claiming that the economy can handle higher oil prices. It's easy to call this person stupid but people who are on the "other side" tend to be out of touch and lack empathy. All healthy people WANT TO BELIEVE in good news because optimism is a huge motivator for them which means that the truth gets buried until we are staring at a recession again. Then, we'll "find out" wages increases were tiny compared to growing living expenses.
Highlighted
Just because the pay rates increase for a small number of employees doesn't mean the pay rate is increasing for an entire nation. Statistical reasonings are often flawed and invalid because they use information from a small group to represent the entire population. Like when they use college students for research about human behavior, as if college students are representative of an entire population. Also, the company you work for is only one company. What was the sample size? In order for your company's finding to be representative, the sample size would have to be substantial because the population of the U.S. is well over a few billion people. 10,000 people isn't even enough people to be a representative sample.

Also, an increase in wages can be anything from .01 cent to $10,000. Even if the pay rate goes from 7.25 to 7.26, the research will see that as an increase. Also, just because you specific company just implemented a pay increase doesn't mean that every company implemented a pay increase. Also, corporations aren't representative of the working population as a whole. Also, your individual participation is not representative of the whole population.
May 31, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I'm 61 years old. I worked in different careers. But in the last 30 years especially I kept watching my pay checks go down not up. I saw as more and more illegal immigrants took over construction jobs at cheap pay, I had a harder time finding work, and at lower pay. Plus, minimum wage is pathetic. My last job was a minimum wage for $7.25 an hour here in georgia. And they keep everything part time now a days. Not worth the time and gasoline to go there.
Aug 11, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Minimum wage is horrible in Louisiana we are also getting paid 7.25 and the job market is tough. I have a part time job but I also have been looking for a 2nd job. I have a college degree with major student loan debt. I can't find a job in my field do to the lack of experience. Why should a person with a college degree have to work 2 jobs? They said the system is made for us to fail but I am determined and will not give up.Every job must train regardless if you have experience or not so I don't see what's the big deal on needing experience for a job that pays 7.25. We are already giving an hour of our time for only 7 bucks so why should we have to stress over a job they should be filling out applications for our time.
Highlighted
Get over yourself, anyone is entitled to their opinions and that's why this world is filled with idiots. What are you even defending? Someone was bashing someone for being unemployed and now Karma put on her bright red lipstick and served her a dish without food. That's a learning lesson. You need to be aware of that red oak stick buried deep in your rump cavity.
Oct 3, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hey, ive read most of the comments and I can agree ive never went more than 4 months without a job till now and it just seems that the spacing between jobs is getting longer and longer no shot fired at the HR guy I promise but ive been unemployed since late may early June of last year and in all honesty I have my first child on the way and we still live with her parents I'm only 23 but its gotten to the point where I almost feel worthless and break down by the end of the night but I feel lost and useless mainly due to the fact of where I've applied to business and have been asked if I was Mexican and said no cause I'm white and immediately got hung up on or talk to companies that have said they prefure women and I just dont know what to do any more cause it feels like there's nothing left for men in the work force in general cause no one can afford to quit or get fired so they are kissing companies tail ends to keep the scraps they're getting and I dont say any of this to be racist or sexist but from personal experience