I continually get bored with my jobs

And I have no real idea of what I want to do with the rest of my life because I haven't felt the desire settle somewhere. I just start hating every job I've had after a while. I'm not lazy, I will work my rear off, but I just can't find anything I can see myself sticking with for at least a few years that actually makes money that I won't end up depressed about. Even what I've gone to school for is not making me happy. I'm 26 but feel like I'm wasting time.

One big factor I think is that I do not like working directly with customers. I just don't like being around people. I know I have to work with them at least some, that's fine. It just seems nothing rational will make me feel fulfilled. I'd see a career counselor but I've got a lot of bills! Maybe something working with plants, animals? Trucker?!? Does anyone have any advice?
Highlighted
@Bl1zzard01 The ADHD thing is interesting because I think it correlates quite nicely. 'Movers, Dreamers, and Risk-Takers: Unlocking the Power of ADHD' is a fun book to read and I think a lot of what the author describes will hit home for a few people. I don't believe everyone on here has 'ADHD' nor do I subscribe to its diagnosis but as a basis I think it can lead to a better understanding. It's a stepping off point shall we say.

I think most of us on here seem to have extremely low-conscientiousness combined with average to high intelligence (I consider myself average btw). Conscientiousness is not correlated with intelligence as far as we know (though a couple studies suggest a negative correlation, which is nice to know 🙂 ). Why we don't have the regulatory mechanisms that inhibit novelty acquisition I am not sure. Could be a number of factors.

To some extent low-conscientiousness combined with reasonable intelligence is the killer. You're not quite smart enough to get away with not being industrious, but you're smart enough to recognize a pointless job that has no inherent value hence why a few people on here describe wanting greater meaning from work. it's the logical route one's mind has to take and it's really the DNA of a creative mind. It wouldn't surprise me if most of us have had brilliant business ideas and foreseen market changes way before anyone else, but by the time they come about were off on another planet thinking up more crazy ideas.

I struggle massively with this like all of you, I tick all the depression boxes but I don't think we're wrong we're just unlucky.
Highlighted
@Foxxx you literally just described me to a T!

With the self employment, starting businesses, working super hard getting everything ready and than not think about it again.

I have started so many businesses it’s ridiculous.

See I personally do t not like being poor at all! I don’t like people thinking I’m poor. I think it might be a pride thing or something. I like nice stuff, I won’t drive a crappy car. I just like to come off as a successful person. Since I was 18 I’ve made pretty good money(especially for being a high school drop out). I believe I’ve made more than most of the kids I went to high school with.

The ADHD would make sense. I took adderal for a little while and when I took that I was so focused and could actually complete tasks and stay on one thing at a time!
Highlighted
Well, I don't have much advice for you, but I'm in the same situation. I had a job as a dry cleaner about 5 years ago and got so bored with it that I quit after only 2 weeks. Since then I've had a hard time finding a job and part of the reason is that most jobs out there seem too boring and I just don't want to have a boring job again. Since then I've gone back to school and am studying fine arts in hopes of becoming a comic book artist, but not sure how well that will work out. You mentioned you went to school as well. Even though you have graduated is it still possible for you to talk to a career counselor there. You also mentioned plants and animals and it sounds like you want to travel some with your job. The first job that comes to my mind with that is a biologist or some sort of scientist that studies wild life. There's also the option of being a park ranger, which would probably be easier to get but you wouldn't travel as much.
Highlighted
unlikely to be Aspergers due to the craving for change. Generally with Aspergers change is avoided.

My gut-feeling would tell me people like 'us' may have regions of brain associated with conscientiousness that are not 'normal'. For example "Conscientious people, who tend to be orderly, industrious and self-disciplined, had a larger middle frontal gyrus, a region involved in memory and planning." source www.livescience.com/8343-personality-predicted-size-brain-regions.html . It would appear we lack the ability to regulate interests in a way that fits modern culture.

I do think this kind of personality many on here seem to have is vital to humanity and culture. The problem is in today's society it's super-risky. You either become a multi-millionaire artistic genius freak of nature or end up at the bottom. There's very little in between (though on here there does seem to have a half decent income). There may have been a time when our way to thinking was of high general value, but alas in today's society our traits no longer are as advantageous.

I think if you have high intelligence you can get away with it but anything below that and life is very hard.
Highlighted
I think we could boil this down to 'craving novelty' or low in conscientiousness. It's something akin to high functioning ADHD and may be correlated with actual developmental differences in the brain. I think it's probably easy to get snobby and say "everyone gets bored at work" but pretty much fitting exactly what's described here it's much deeper than 'being bored'. It's like someone comes into your brain switches off all the lights. There's a fundamental lack of meaning or purpose, or you're just bored.

Like others here I don't have trouble finding jobs as such. I can seem bright, smart and enthusiastic to an interviewee. Naturally people like myself will have an interesting and obscenely diverse CV and set of interests, thus will always be of interest to potential interviewers (well, those who lack experience because real good interviewers will spot you a mile off). Though I think naturally most of us will seek some form of self-employment.

One thing that rang true with me was being able to design a complete business plan with a great idea (even have logo and design work all sorted).... and then a week later not even be bothered to even remember it.

Just like others here I have too many interests to list and work wise just as diverse. There's no coherent theme other than maybe being more on the creative end of the spectrum. I think a lot of people with this trait will no doubt be familiar with people wondering how someone so 'smart' and full of ideas can be so poor.

I think what we're describing in general is high creativity (or lets say need for novelty) and low-conscientiousness. I don't think anyone here is of low-intelligence either (that's doesn't mean we're above average either) and I think that's probably the key factor. If you're smart enough to know work is fundamentally pointless philosophically and and are not able to physically 'put' up with it for personal maintenance then you're in real trouble.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Personally, I think it is more about me than the jobs.

I was born creative, but I never utilized it like I should have. I always have ideas about stuff. I'm also somewhat neurotic. At times, I've wondered if I might have a bit of Asperger's syndrome or something like that. I'm meticulous and really like different things and change. I'm very particular about my appearance and health, you know, things like that. I keep lists about my diet. As I'm getting older, I also have a deep desire to make a difference in the world, to do good things for other people. I don't want to waste what time I have shopping or living high, going on trips, etc. I want to be old and wise.

I think many people are just attracted to novelty and easily bored.
Highlighted
I am in the same boat...

I am 23 and after about a year with every job i've had I get bored/unmotivated to try anymore and always switch jobs.

Even jobs that I have loved at first and look back and actually enjoyed my job.

I have even gone back to previous jobs I have liked and than after a year I get bored and unmotivated. I start calling in more and my sales drop(Usually a top seller and than after a year they just drop).

I currently am a self employed insurance agent and do digital marketing while working from home which I love. I just hit my 1 year on 01/01/2019... Why do I feel unmotivated again and thoughts run through my mind about going back to one of my favorite (fall back) sales jobs?
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Yes, me too. One of my jobs, I would hear people saying, "Oh, I've found it. This is what I want to do. I love it!" I'd be saying to myself, "Really?"

Yes, I can go without a job. I can find other things to do. I just need to be occupied and feel like while I'm alive, I'm living, and that I accomplished things at the end of the day.
Highlighted
Same here, I hate the fact that I have to work some meaningless job that I don’t care about for a meager paycheck in order to put food on my stomach. I would like to try entrepreneurship, but have no idea in what, agrrh. I’m not that creative either, it sucks!, I’m so lost. Wish I can make money without a job.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hello,you’re not alone. I’m almost 44 and feel the same. I’ve had about 20 jobs throughout my adult life and still don’t know what I want. The most I stayed in jobs is 2-3 years and I’m gone to something different. I’ve many jobs and careers and nothing seems to fulfill me. My last plunge might be to become an entrepreneur, maybe that would fulfill me?
Highlighted
Hi, Same here! Omg.... I’m not alone. I’m almost 44, and have had about 20 different jobs thoroughout my whole adult life, and I absolutely love to work but, I just get bored of the jobs pretty fast! I have been an office worker, truck driver, delivery person and many other jobs and nothing seems to fulfill me. I still thinking what to do with my life. I think we all should be entrepreneurs and live a nomadic life.
Highlighted
Hi, I'm 24, been in 2 jobs related to my major since graduation, and a whole bunch of short stints before that. Internships that were more like trials of regular entry-level jobs, co-ops that were just like hanging out in the adult world, and mostly teaching and working with kids, the kinds of jobs they give to teenagers and part-time for college students who don't mind working for less. I got fired/let go from my first job which I didn't really like, but then I hadn't planned on actually leaving because it got easier and I thought I could brave it out. I don't think I like working, but without school, there's nothing to fill my days. I also need some source of income for regular life. I live with my parents still, and most of the time they don't seem to mind me being there, but they also want me to stay "productive". I keep thinking of going into another field, but it seems like a tremendous amount of effort and I don't know how to get in an environment where I can learn and grow. Until I get a job, there seems to be no learning opportunity to break into this new field. When I am employed in the field I am in, and it may be true for all fields, I am not able to keep in shape, and I can feel myself becoming more unhealthy over time. I become weak, loose my breath all too quickly, and lose interest in anything that requires effort or more energy and commitment. I also am not able to maintain any relationships, and completely lose myself in my work. I find my moods are affected completely by how things are going at work, and I don't feel like a whole person with an actual life. I have gone to various types of therapy, and meditation/yoga camps/programs that promise to change your life, but nothing seems to resonate with me. A lot of them are combined with some kind of religion or philosophy that feels more like a cult. I keep getting older and older and somehow stuck in the same mental headspace, just more and more jaded.
Jan 12, 2019 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hello all; 9 months ago I came on here looking for answers as to why I didn’t know what to do with my life and how bored I got with every job I had.
I had therapy in the past for depression, but it didn’t help for this. I mean there’s also a few other problems that were also showing (mood swings, impulsivity, anger issues)
After research I think I might be suffering from borderline personality disorder (BPD) and I’m waiting to see a professional for it.
I’m not sayin everyone here suffers from any type of disorder, I’m just saying maybe in some cases we oughta dig deeper.
Highlighted
Guess you can say I’m the umpteenth person with the same dilemma and strikingly similar personality. I am 26 (but feeling much older by the day) and can empathize with everything you are experiencing...

Currently an office manager/optician at an optometry office. I have discovered that as an office manager i can see people more minimally and experience many challenges with the varying needs of patients, which keeps me on my toes. Most days I enjoy the thought of heading to work. I’m going to take a chance and say I could see myself retiring in management.

However, I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t have another late-night depressive quarter-life crisis. I am half-introverted half-extroverted and always want to try something new even if i’m not in an entirely boring occupation. My dream goals would probably be: becoming an astronomer, singer, or travel the world. Likelihood of any are slim to none.

I do have hope for all of us, and almost a sort of expectancy. May you all succeed, find happiness, and perhaps if this thread continues to thrive there will be a positive update later!
Highlighted
You are all speaking my language. I have had a ton of jobs, I am in my late 30s. I get bored so easily, i change my mind, I can't every decide what I want to do with my self. I also look for something else when there's too much BS going on or if I am in search for higher pay- it's been an ongoing game my whole adult life. I feel like I am half extrovert and half introvert. I had never been satisfied at any job and was feeling like there was something wrong with me. Then I finally found a job at a company I really liked, worked there for over three years, I was actually committed to working there and then was laid off! It was a company that was growing and changing, it kept me interested- it was an office manager position, so I had a variety of things to do, really liked the people I worked with and had a vartiey of challenges and problems to solve. Now I have a very easy, boring desk job in a smaller much more quiet office. It's really tough. Funny thing is I am paid the same, and do far less, I should be happy but I am not.

That being said, I know that it is possible for me to have a job I like, I did it once and I can do it again. But now that the office life has left a bad taste in my mouth I have more of a desire to work for my self, or at least find an office job that is not typical- I need some interaction with people and flexibility in my schedule and a reason to get up from my desk so I am not just sitting all day.

I hope we all find what we are looking for.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Who doesn't? You're suppose to save or mortgage while there and get out from under an employer ASAP.. Not sure what is with America's debt and disparity fad, because if you make at least 20k a year you really have no excuse.. Tons of programs to help you get ahead while earning, and I know people making 17k who don't seem to have a problem..
Jul 1, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Wow, this comment sounds EXACTLY like my situation/personality! I wish I could find something that was satisfying to me and lasted more than a year. I’m constantly seeking change and fulfillment but am never completely satisfied for long. I also have a love/hate relationship with people. Maybe I just don’t want to work??!! Lol... wish I knew!
Highlighted
Start your own company. Its not easy but I was in the same position and started a restauraunt with almost no experience. You control your own destiny and when you get bored there is always something to work towards Eg website, marketing ect
Jun 22, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
I think that's a good point. Out of desperation, I took a care-giving job, and it seems to have little or no possibility of leading to anything better.
Before I had taken this job, I had been unemployed for quite a while, and I was happy at first just to have a job. At this point, however, the drudgery and unpleasantness of the work is just too much for me to want to keep putting up with it. (I know there are people who take these jobs as a springboard for going into something better, like nursing, but I don't have the time, money or interest in going that route.)
Apr 11, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Wow. It’s like I’m reading my own story...
Someone said we’re not lazy, we’re depressed and need help.
I had therapy and I still can’t find what I want to do. People try to help us find new center of interest but nothing sticks. I have a bachelor in business administration, I’m a 39 y-o single mom and I lost.
Last Monday I wrote an entire business plan. It was ready to go, I just needed to find funds. And today I couldn’t care less.
I just want to be passionate about something that makes me money, and be happy. I don’t know what to do. I feel like a failure.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Omg reading your comment really freaked me out of how your personality is so similar to me. I'm not bad at school but i hate sleepwalking through it after 4 years. I'm 25 and still don't know what to do with my life. I seriously think everyone is better than me and always get envious of someone has a passion and put their mind and action into it.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
luckybunny, I feel the same way. I've had several jobs in semi-related industries, graduated with a degree I didn't like, started a doctorate program and then dropped out because I hated the material and didn't want the career (only went due to parental pressure), and my interests tend to fluctuate. I don't know what to do, or what I truly enjoy.

It really depends on the day or the week what hobbies interest me. Sometimes I like painting, other times there will be weeks when I don't pick up a paintbrush. My various, cyclical hobbies and interests include: painting, running, biology, writing, cooking, religion, philosophy, and psychology.

I get bored easily. I have a love/hate relationship with people. I'm caring and compassionate, but also extremely introverted and relish alone time.

I don't know what I'm good at. I've been told I have a talent for: working with young children, art, writing, working with animals, and over-thinking, lol.

I've taken every career test out there, every personality test, seen a career counselor, talked to family and friends, and nothing inspires me for more than a couple weeks. Ultimately, I want to help people but I also don't really like working with people a lot (too much interaction drains me). I want to be able to use my brain and be creative, and also have a fairly active job. I can't stand sitting at a desk. I'm not much for math beyond trig/pre-calc, and I don't have any mechanical aptitude. I like biology, but not chemistry/physics/etc. I feel lost and unhappy much of the time. I feel like a failure.
Highlighted
You don't need a career counselor. You need therapy. You are depressed. You don't want to work, period. I am not trying to be funny or mean, I really mean it. Until you figure out what is going on with you, no job is going to "fit".
Highlighted
Highlighted
Luckybunny I have felt the same way for years now! It's like I know I'm supposed to want a career but I don't know what to do. I've done the personality assessments, went to college and graduated, but still ended up from job to job currently in a call center which pays the bills. I'm still trying to figure it out and I've come to accept I just don't know. How I envy the people who know what they were made to do 😞
Highlighted
Start with yourself.
Make a list of the things you really love doing.
Those are what you get to do in your spare time. Maybe people will tell you to find a job doing what you love, but don't. Keep the things that you love doing for yourself, on your own time.

Make a second list. Things that you think are interesting, or that you might want to try. This is the checklist for your job - whatever comes close to the things you list here is what you want to get a job doing.

Get training, certifications, etc. These can get expensive, though if your current employer has an education assistance program it is worth it to stick where you are at just for the school!

Not sure if you are technically inclined but there may be technician type jobs where personal interaction is not a huge part of the work.

Good luck!
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted