Why dont all of the Union Carpenters Stand together and make a change??

I am sad because we as many others are losing everything we own and having to let our children go without.Never ever did I think we would be in this situation.Since my husband became a journeyman carpenter few years ago,he has been finding it hard to find a union job.Now it has been a long time and I am losing hope.We have now exhausted all benefits
The food bank has closed,which saved us.I have a full time job,we did not elect ins cov from my job cause every cent I make goes to keeping our home, utilities, car.Food is now a luxury!! 26 appretice grads for June.Why? Where is the BROTHERHOOD? Make a change! Families are hungry and afraid!Can't this happen? PLEASE?? Begging for help for all of us that are truly suffering. I am proud of my husband being a Union Journeyman Carpenter. But if he would have been a police officer or fire fighter,his brothers at work would have shared jobs and made sure no one suffered. My tears fall for my husband, my 3 children, every union family that is suffering. Please someone, somewhere, do something. PLEASE!
Highlighted
hay Crowbar-53 I'm not bitching about no work, all unions If the "Members" do not wise up and treat Unions correct, will be gone plane and simple. I am working. Since 2008 (the economy Crash) I have only been off 2 months around xmas both years. My gripe is the way the unions are being run with Our money and not looking out for us in the future and only we can do something about this as UBC members. That pile driver class sounds like a 40hr pre apprentice orientation class to me. Let me guess you got CPR Certified,Lift truck certified, crane etc.., To be a Journeyman union pile driver their apprentice program (in Cali) is similar to ours I believe 4 years. Believe me when I tell you that if Unions go away It's bad for non union as well, Who do you think set's the prevailing wage on job sites now Union that's who. Without someone to Negotiate wages for us, we would be paid like a slave and there would be a million unskilled slaves waiting to work cheaper than you believe me. I promise your boss and the General Contractor would love to pay us like a slave. What do they get for that Union Money, The best trained highest skilled workers in the workforce. We go through 4 years class room time and 5000 hr on job training before we can be called a union journeymen carpenter. And if you leave the Union you can take that 1st class Knowledge anywhere in the world and hang with the best of them assuming your versed in the metric system.But with the flood of apprentices,people buying their journeyman cards,Race separation,corrupt Union officials,Corrupt Foreman, If card carrying Union Men don't start acting like Men as a whole and Stand up against Ignorance,Fanaticism and Tyranny then don't Cry about it Later from the sidelines. To the rest of the world seeing this I would not rest easy at knight knowing the high rises you go into everyday were build by people that did not know exactly what they were doing at that moment in time,not here to argue rather inspire Organization
Highlighted
I do go out and get Jobs. My first union Job ever I Got by myself and worked for that general for 5 years. I have gotten every Union job I have ever worked on by myself from the General or Sub-contractor. I have never went on the out of work list, and only a few times used the job list the locals have. like I said in previous posts the last few years I have had to look for work at 40 to 50 subs and generals just to work at 7 Subs and generals job-sites. If that's the future where you have to look for work 25 times a year just to work 10 months out of that year for the next 30 years to meet your pension something has to be changed. I Love what I do and I am good at it that's why I fight for it.
Highlighted
Philadelphia just graduated another 400 apprentices this summer, The union has turned into a joke. Go to a meeting, all you "men" don't say one word, complain,all you do is run to the BA and wash their balls, hoping they will give you a job. The carpenters union needs to take lessons from the the ironworkers. They have been looking out for each other, rotate on and off the jobs when guys need hours for their benefits, what do we do? Our union just takes and takes from us and gives us less and less for benefits. Our unemployment is around 75%, now the BA's tell us you cannot look at union work as a full time job, find something else while you are waiting to go to work. As long as all of you sheep allow this to happen it will. Wake up and stand up! Start complaining to your BA's to do their job and make these projects go union or they will be replaced. Pressure the international to give us back the right to vote in or out the BA's, only then will you see change. Until then, all you sheep need to go buy chapstick.
Highlighted
marilynkirkpatrick.com/pdfs/2008-Carpenters.pdf
conklin4nevada.com/o/20/images/So%20Regional%20Council%20of%20Carpenters_Endorsment.pdf
www.williamhorne.com/endorsements.php
Look he was up for election in March He or whoever got the job Is sitting fat behind a cushy desk right now(that I paid for). Making anywhere from $75,000 to god knows how much in endorsements from My Regional brothers for at least 2 years of a 6 year term in office. Driving around in an all expense paid Government Car with free gas(that I pay for) Per-Diem and food that I paid for. He never picked up a hammer in his life look at his Bio, they are Career Politicians. This is where our money is going. He took our Money to lobby for Us I suggest Everyone looks up this Info for their region not just their town because the facts are I'm in California they are in Vegas but somehow my Dues went to an assemblyman in Vegas Open your eyes this is going on in your region to and your paying for it to. If we all do not get on the same page and move as a flock to hold these men accountable why would they ever stop? It starts with you Your local and region are giving your hard earned money away like candy. But we are the ones feeding the corruption by giving them the money. We need to Wake up by doing a bit of research Organize so we can move as a flock to cut it off at the source until they are willing to come to the table if we are not strong in number they can wait us out. I guess the answer to the Original post of why don't all of the Union Carpenters Stand together and make a change?? Its because there are not enough good Men now a days that will stand together for the truth and what's right. Me personally i'd rather die on my feet fighting than live on my knees but that means nothing when your standing alone. Multiply that attitude times 65,000 due paying members(my region) and you have a force to be reckoned with.
Highlighted
www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/thats-outrageous----corrupt-union-bosses/article27393.html

Your being raped and pillaged and letting it happen If this is not enough information to get you on the same page then you deserve what you get. Douglas McCarron, president of the national carpenters union, who pulled in $336,000 last year. Excuse me For what what was his job to Flood the apprentice program,take on Hack journeymen and give them a union card,layoff real journeymen, Come on people can we just wake up and get on the same page already. Research your region like I did mine get that Information out to as many card carrying members in your region by any means so we can cut off these spoiled rotten elitist who can't believe how dumb we are that we keep believing their in our corner. Myself and hard working brothers in my region are paying 1,300000 one million three hundred thousand dollars a month, and (15,600000) fifteen million six hundred thousand dollars a year in dues for this representation
Highlighted
i think all carpenters in indiana should go to the brandnew carpenters hall in greenwood indiana . and set up camp . if they can live so well and the people that pay there way ,should make it a little harder on them . i myself have called in on labors talking jobs away from carpenters . and the b.a. did nothing . you got labors running work here and the b.a s. do nothing but go to lunch and talk about how good they got it. these are guys that will call your house if you still have a phone and tell you there on your side . as they sign in a mexican that just got into the country they do not check to see if they are even from the u.s. the union my friends is nothing but the goverment taking your money , i have no respect for any b.a. in indiana . they are just as bad as the goverment . the bad thing is you will never see a b.a on a jobs site and ive been in 16 years, and never seen one yet on a job. but you will here from them to get your dues fu#k the b.a.s in indiana . i would love to see a b.a. i know at the store . well he would just run and jump in the suv we pay for and go back to his house in carmel where its safe . the b.a.s in indiana are a bunch wimps
Highlighted
Better check your facts HYRUM ABIFF.... Not true about Las Vegas paying carpenters full pensions after only 15yrs. of service. I have lots of friends there and worked
there myself on City Center project. These guys would love to be out in 15yrs.
Wish us guys on Detroit could vote our B.A. out of office. We can't cause they are appointed in by the E-Board of the local. The members have NO say on who gets in. We can only vote on the Organizers. What a joke that is.
Nov 13, 2010 Solution
Highlighted
hay Crowbar they were giving some of the Vegas Guys on that exact job two for one credit Mount blue I think. Thats why I said lucky few Of course not Every member. That is the problem you and all your friends and everyone on that job should have had that option as well.I was asked to go to that City center job from brothers but I was working already. Vegas did not have enough carpenters and a lot of carpenters in LA were going up there. I heard from a number of them about the pension credit. Since late 2005 I know 20 brothers at least that switched books from their local to Vegas. There was a boom and Vegas did not have the workforce So there were carpenters from all over Up there. I was just at these websites and It kind of gives guidelines and Mass Information about the road ahead.
www.uniondemocracy.com/Legal/legalhome.htm
www.uniondemocracy.com/UDR/100-At%20the%20Carpenters%20Union%20Convention.htm
www.carpentersunionbc.com/Pages/doc.html
www.thelaborers.net/LU81/carpentersconstitution.htm#top
hay Crowbar How can we move forward from this point as a flock? the carpenters Constitution (b) says the e-board is voted 1 member from each district not appointed is that a way? Vote in the e-board in masses open An appeal they hold quarterly meetings The Constitution and Laws can be amended or altered in conformity with the provisions of Section 59
Nov 14, 2010 Solution
Highlighted
While we starve, Our boses are getting fatter by the day! Look at our boses they wear streachy pants because a belt doesnt fit anymore! Yet they go golfing while you and your kids struggle! They hire their families after they said they wouldn't yet you are losing your home! They said work is coming and that's been two years of that! They say they support a Republican and yet he could care less of you or your families. Cobo hall is here for the Auto Show and guess who is working the bosses Nephew his friends and the bosses kids! Wow and they preach brotherhood! Our Union has changed for the worst guys who speak out get shut down or "Black Balled" If you have nothing to lose because you lost everything go to the meeting shout out at them make a presence the more we speak out the more we stand together in numbers and can shut this beaucracy down! Put a vote on the floor no hireing of family and we as members take a vote! Then and only then will this stop!!!!!
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Life is a progressive moment to moment learning process. Unfortunately some apprentices and some journeymen do not Understand that If they follow the program they will be recycled and treated like a 3rd world citizen by their own union This is a fact. We all have a different understanding of what is going on due to our own experiences,but the facts are still the facts even if you do not understand them. Fact If you want to rid your house of snakes the only sure fired way is to cut it's head off. Fact The only sure fired way to rid the union of snakes is to stop feeding them(Stop paying Dues in Masses). The hard part is Organizing a date and time where a good portion(30% or more) of the brotherhood wake up and get on the same page at the same time and stop paying dues they will have to restructure our future. The Facts are they can not punish you if you have the numbers. The facts are we do not have the numbers. The facts are we are to blame because we are sitting idle while they rob pillage and loot us and our family's future and they count on that all the way to the bank. It's really that simple, almost every carpenter I have ever worked along side is a true man and I would go to war along side them any day. Our skills and swinging of the hammer Pay for everyone's Salary from the fat cats at the top all the way down to the Lazy secretary's at the Local. Then they send us home to starve while the Project we just built makes Millions of dollars for a hand full of people. We could be organized by mid 2011 with a good number of brothers if we due our part. Hell send me $20 a month and Ill start a non profit get an attorney to server the brotherhood on behalf of the brothers Ill get the 30% of carpenters nation wide and fight these crooks alone if I have to. Im sick of watching good men being lead to slaughter because alleged brothers do nothing.
Highlighted
Highlighted
b a are a bunch of jokes i am glad they r have a good time we need to vote them in every two years so they can b in are shoes paid my dues for two years now and still no job they way i see it if we work then pay dues if no work no dues i hope the union falls flat on thier faces work non union now and we r bidding on every job the union does i hope non union companies win every bid they can to hell with the unions
Highlighted
Highlighted
Here in MN some of the union companys are only working the guys that work for under scale. I've been told by an owner to work 8 hours and write 6 on my time card if I want to look good. I have watched others do the same thing just to stay working. I have watched these companies hire the retired guys while others like me sit at home. These retired guys are working for cash while others work overtime for banked straight time hours. The union has become a complete joke and the best part is that the owners of these big companies are also on the head of some of the union boards making the decisions.

Exmamples of companies doing this? LETS NAMES SOME NAMES

ACOUSTICS ASSCOIATES...Have had guys working for under scale and or cash for years. They bid anoka school district jobs at scale price then bring in non union workers being paid way less to maximize their profits. Word has it some of the district members of the school are in on this as well.

TWIN CITY ACOUSTICS...used to never pay overtime for saterday work untill they were turned in. Their top guys work overtime and bank their hours for straight time. Some of the workers start hours earlier then everyone else to try and get more work done then the others for fear of loosing their jobs.

The union's days are numbered. When the companies within them refuse to go by their rules and implement their own. I would be hard pressed to say the union already has fallen
Highlighted
Hay Minnesota ,
I agree with you that they have the Fox guarding the Hen house, but that's because the farmer(members) is asleep at the wheel.

I disagree that the Union is finished at this Exact point in time, but if there is not a complete about face 180 from Members then your 100% correct in the near future and the way things are going in this country with everyone wanting something for nothing and taking from their neighbors it's on.

Their must be hundreds of thousands if not Millions of Union Carpenters in this Nation of Three hundred plus million people. and only 50 or so Union carpenters have listed on this site. So the vast majority are not aware they are being led to slaughter. I know there are other sites but this site only has 2 pages. The Only way I am still working is I have thousands of dollars of my own tools that they are suppose to provide and I have to cut corners and miss steps so the Hack next to me gets laid off first it's a shame if I take the time to do it the correct way the slave driver hints that I'm taking to long. I guess he won't be happy till I cut my hand off with my own Miter saw.

oh Hell no were naming names now 🙂 then almost every single sub-contractor I have worked for from Door's to finish to concrete on the west coast from the Bay area to San Diego all the way to the AZ border should be on that list for real.
Highlighted
I disagree that the Union is finished at this Exact point in time, but if there is not a complete about face 180 from Members then your 100% correct in the near future and the way things are going in this country with everyone wanting something for nothing and taking from their neighbors it's on.

Their must be hundreds of thousands if not Millions of Union Carpenters in this Nation of Three hundred plus million people. and only 50 or so Union carpenters have listed on this site.

Hyrum,obviously you are a mason,representing a reasonable,common-sense thought process. please consider your non-dues paying campaign for a moment. i have not gone into all details that are laid out for this movement, and i am not disagreeing with your approach. there is a high level of emotion(as expected)from most involved. please think,all of you,if you withhold dues and fall into arrears,you cannot run for office in your local for a period of 12 months! are you sure this is the position you want to be in for a year. years ago i was told if you want to effect change-"don't buck the system, undermine from within". consider this arrears issue in your planning stages, and keep organizing the organized for the sake of us all. to anyone who sees 4 agents going to lunch-follow them in,i would, remind them they work for you. make phone calls-take pictures-ask questions-follow them around. make sure they see you watching them. run for office in your local,become more involved, make change-don't wait for it. demand answers to your union qeustions-you are entitled an answer. REMEMBER **** WHERE THERE IS A SECRET,YOU WILL FIND A LIE.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hay philadelphia,
Believe me when I tell you all the details are not worked out and I am open to any and all ways that will achieve the end result of every Due paying Member getting what he was sold by our leaders and if not then they are instantly dismissed from their post as a leader and pay fines.
philadelphia :there is a high level of emotion(as expected)from most involved. That is part of the problem because when people lead with emotions they Forfeit logic if they were informed and acted on it there would be no problems.
philadelphia:(if you withhold dues and fall into arrears,you cannot run for office in your local for a period of 12 months! are you sure this is the position you want to be in for a year). As I said prior it would only work if the numbers were there. Consider this for a moment no matter how wrong people may think it is. 500,000 Union carpenters across this nation go in to work on Monday and when they are asked to work they just stand there and say & do nothing all day. They would all be laid off.Tuesday,They go down and get Unemployment for 99 weeks. Now the government is involved and want's the issue resolved asap. the Government would lean on the Union leaders till they figured it out. Wensday most of the jobs across the Nation would be placed on hold due to lack of skilled workers.Thursday now The union leaders from all locals have a choice to make do They look for other work or do they do the job they were elected to do. Friday They meet with Attorneys or negotiators for us the members and find out what we are looking for and bring it to the table and at the top of that list would be no member should be punished for the above actions. Meanwhile they figure it out for a week or a year what ever it takes we would be on unemployment since we did not quit we were laid off. The Sub-contractors would want it worked out asap so they don't go bankrupt.The union would have to play fair or go bankrupt,and the Government would step in like GM
Dec 25, 2010 Solution
Highlighted
Philadelphia;years ago i was told if you want to effect change-"don't buck the system, undermine from within". consider this arrears issue in your planning stages, and keep organizing the organized for the sake of us all.

Years ago I was told Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results Albert Einstein.
I have been doing the same thing over and over for years by getting up at 3:00 am to be at work by 5:45am working all day getting taxed close to 30% sitting in 3 to 4 hours of traffic a day damaging my body life and limb and expecting different results so I guess I am insane:) I agreed with your logic up until a few years ago but that gives them the time they need to rape plunder and pillage us. Now it's more about survey a situation plan it out take action & trust but verify for me. Please do not get me wrong I am not bitter or angry I do my thing and live in the hear and now but hope that people wake up and Organize cause we all know you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. The funny thing about it is if we put together a plan and put some hot rods and bobbies on the front we would have members falling over each other to sign up for the cause but the second you start talking about facts and their future it's like they view you as the homeless guy on the corner asking for money.
Dec 25, 2010 Solution
Highlighted
Hay Spiderman in woodbine
Your wish is my command tell him Hyrum Abiff says hello
spiderman in Woodbine, New Jersey I need the number for the International, Mr. Mccarron so I can give him a piece of my mind!

www.mccarronraids.com/about/ he has been raiding unions since 1988 must be nice if your him.

here is his facebook page if he has a Wall be sure to post on his Wall and let him know what you think.

www.facebook.com/McCarron2010
Dec 25, 2010 Solution
Highlighted
As A matter Of fact go to his Facebook page look at all his friends in high places and send all his friends a piece of your mind to. I hope I don't have to remind you all to keep it professional with facts and truth as if you start using bad words and do not have a point it only takes away from the importance of what is going on right now, but if you hit him and friends with truth and facts and expose him for what he is then we might be able to have a brighter future as the grunts he sees us as.
Highlighted
local #608 dissolved in new york? 7400 carpenters merged with local #157---well, now there is double the corruption in #157,good fix mccarron. if you keep going,doug,maybe a couple of years from now you'll only have one local left in the country. you can charter local union #1...stands for first in corruption, retaliation,discrimination,favoritism,embezzelment,and just run-of the-mill underhanded dirty dealings. doug,please do us all a favor, skip punishing the little guys,get to the real problem with this brotherhood. take a look in the mirror,now, fire that dictator. AFL-CIO expressed forming a carpenters international union-ubc greatly opposes this idea-I THINK,I WELCOME THIS IDEA. couldn't be any worse than what we have(or don't have)now.
Highlighted
Highlighted
yes,sonofjp is correct,and there is much more to the story-sorry if you felt i was over-simplifying the turmoil in #608. but the problems have gone on for years. just expressing the thought that if the "almighty mccarron" wanted the ubc to be an upstanding organization as we do. i feel he had an obligation to do more to correct the situation before a local was disolved that has been in existance (if i am correct?) for almost a hundred years. new york has/had corruption hotline on web sight, where is st.louis,chicago,philly,san diego,etc. hotlines, they are needed.
Highlighted
We will never know how more locals like New York are are going to be disolved. McCarrons trying to make one local for the entire country. That way he has better control over his assets. Everything this guy does is for his benefit but leaves you to twist in the wind!!!
Lets see whats next in his bag of tricks...
Highlighted
Highlighted
Remember when the fed's came in and busted the Teamsters back in the '70's when Jimmy Hoffa was the president?? Brought the entire union to its Knees. Maybe the same will happen to McCarron?
With the Teamsters, years later they still are finding dirt in him!! We may never know about what about the dirty deeds in McCarrons house.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
All, I mean all of the power in the carpenters union is owned by the rank and file. To the extent that any person or group of people other than the rank and file have any of that power, it is because the rank and file has permitted them to have it. That's not a good thing or a bad thing, its just the way it is. So, to repeat the billion dollar question that has been raised before in this blog, "Why does the rank and file have no direct say in who takes care of the unions administrative and legal affairs?", that is why is there NO democratic type representation of the rank and file with respect to the running of the unions affairs? The answer is because the rank and file deems it to be so, either by direct action or more likely, by direct INACTION. The rank and file needs to re-group.
From a website called Calculated Risk, "From the ADP(Payroll Service) employment report this morning:
Construction employment was unchanged in December, ending continuous monthly declines since June 2007. The decline in Construction employment, since its peak in January 2007, is 2,306,000." That's alot of construction people out of work for a long time. Maybe it is time someone or some group changed things for the better. Start with democratic representation. Maybe the AFL-CIO could be the way to go if it is structured the way the majority of the rank and file wants it.
Jan 6, 2011 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
i dont understand your comment here. im not buying any propaganda here buddy. i understand all the parameters of everything i am told, I fight for work, I've obtained many jobs ON MY OWN, 1 day to 2 months, and my BA has helped me. by posting my letter i hoped that people would understand what i have done to pave my way. i offered advice to an apprentice worried about the contract we made with the school. I know whats been done for me, and i know who is on my side. so dont tell me i am buying into anything. i know its the members who are suffering, not the BA's and the local presidents. but i also know that they are trying to secure jobs for the members. it shows in the PIN-POINT- jobs that are aquired. I also know unions cant compete with non-union companies right now, and that holding out for 75 cent raises to maintain the health plan and make no cuts anywhere else dont help that. especially when cities like detroit and ny took cuts. Im not stupid, this is the time when we, the members, need to stand together the most. now i respect all members here, and i understand your fustration here, dont under estimate my intelligence by saying i am buying into the propaganda. thats bull
Highlighted
I personally believe we, in Philadelphia, need to make several sacrifices to help bring work back to our members. In a private conversation i had with another member while doing some PAC work we both agreed "I rather make $30/hr [in the envelope] if it means i will keep working." thats a major cut in the envelope but think about it. in '06 we got a major HIKE in our pay courtesy of the GBCA and IFCA because over a better part of the previous decade the unions made the companies major amounts of money. that was our reward. also at the time, the economy was still in a boom, and projected to stay that way for several more years with major contracts and projects that were coming up. i think that we could secure more work if maybe we went back to the rate we were at before that contract. just a sign to the companies that we are willing to work WITH them. at the time the contract was signed, i worked for Lutter INC and for anyone who doesnt know, Frank Lutter sits on the IFCA board. I met the man personally, and was working in close vicinity when he was discussing the reason for the massive, nearly $10/hr (total package) hike we recieved. He said to his foreman "We truely believed you deserved it." so if we recipocate the same respect they showed us, when the economy begins another boom as the cycle rolls back around, we will see that hike again. I'm not saying it has to be a drastic return, but there has to be some kind of "Give back" $2/hr, maybe $3. i dont know, i've posted before, im no business savy guy. in fact soon i wont even really have to worry about this stuff. I recently joined the army. I am 25 and i am going to serve the country and learn a new job skill. But i am going to keep my book. i wish all of you good luck. I want to see the unions prosper because Unions are a vital part of our society. my unemployment is with-in 3 weeks of running out even on EB benefits and i had to make a big move. i hope that one day i can back to work with-in the Carpenter Union
Highlighted
Good for you,Vince. no one knows your situation better than you do.being able to adjust your situation to better yourself should not concern you what any one else says. I am glad to hear you would like to come back someday in the future,shows you have not lost all faith in the union. the problem is very simple,but as you can see from these previous posts,very controversial. I don't have a problem working for cut rate if the economy warrants(I would rather work for $5 an hour less)before accept a job outside the trade for $10-12 less. this does not help our pensions/h&w accounts. but the leadership of the carpenters union should suffer the same fate of the rank and file members.(we do pay their salaries don't forget)if the salary of the general president down to local organizer refuse a 10% cut,why should we accept a 10% cut as the norm to acieve work? if our situation was handled this way,I feel it would be acceptable to a majority of the members. the corrupt leaders? well thats a different topic/problem that can be handled in other ways(see previous posts as to what a member can do) EEOC,DOL,OLMS,LMRDA,etc.
Highlighted
Thank you very much for your support in my decisions. I agree with you 100% in this situation. I try to respect every1's opinions and views. I wish you alot of luck in these times. Hopefully we don't see the unions here go the way of Madison WI. thats a very bold move that governor is making. I do believe our unions here are stong enough to not let that happen.
Looking over your previous comments i can see you are a really sensable guy. recently there was a motion to bring back a vote for locals to elect their BA's if it ever passes, you should put your name in the hat! keep fighting brother! good luck!
Highlighted
I hear all of you. I have been laid of for the past 2 1/2 years. The unemployment rate here for residential carpenters is about 80% or more. I have seen in the past year 3 of the largest union contractors go non union and the locals here are doing anything to stop them.
I have taken classes in the commercial field and was told some of the commercial carpenters that were working that unless you know someone getting a job is going to be almost impossible.
So yes I agree if we should all stand together and voice our issues but I do not think that it will do much here (fall on deaf ears). I have recieved 3 letters in the past 9 months that I need o pay my union dues because it will help the union maintain and search for jobs. What a load of crap. I had called the union and told them if they were to put food on my families table or even pay my gas and electric bills I will pay my dues, needless to say i have not herd from them.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hi Vince, When and where did you hear about the possibility of the Philadelphia Locals going back to voting for the B.A.'s ?....I sure hope it happens as I know many do, they should have never taken our right to vote away,the memebers are the union and we should all have a voice,we should be able to vote someone in or out depending on what kind of job they are doing,it's not supposed to be a dictatorship. I also feel there should be a sharing of the work in some way,why should certain guys keep getting 2000 hours or more a year of work where some aren't even getting 200 ? what happened to a Brotherhood ?...,there should be some changes in times like these.Leadership should address this.
Mar 3, 2011 Solution
Highlighted
I heard of this possibility at a meeting, i was told by my BA Jerry Coughlin. He claimed he would be for the motion if it went before the international. He announced it at the meeting before the members of 1856. It wasnt just for Phila. Locals, the motion was to be presented before the international in Vegas to be worded in the by laws that quote "IT SHALL BE THE DUTY OF THE MEMBERS TO VOTE FOR THEIR LOCAL UNION BUSINESS AGENTS AND NO COUNCIL SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO APPOINT THOSE IN THE POSITION OF BUSINESS AGENT" these words would have handed back the right to vote to all UBC Members in every local. However, since writing that last comment i have learned that the motion has been presented before the International Council and DENIED. Surprise Surprise. i can answer your question, I know companies with Much work. dale for one had steady work for through out this whole time. My neighbor has worked steady with dale since his apprenticeship, while i worked and struggled to find work throughout this time. Companies have found a way to do more work with less people. despite his lack of man power the Road Man for Dale, Glen Roberts, was unsuccessful at landing me a job. for months i talked with him every day
Highlighted
3 times a week i visited job sited i knew he'd be at, tools in hand ready to work (tues he was at 18th and locust job site, thurs at Parx Casino, every other fri the job down the street from 18th and locust) and he looked me in the face and told me that with that determination i showed him that he went to his boss and begged him to let him hire me. and his boss wanted to keep the "Company men." through out my travels i would visit job sites regularly and had foremans do the same thing. they would call their road man and say something like "look this guy shows up once or twice a week ready to go, i got guys who are regularly late, can i hire him" and once again i get "no keep the company men" I made looking for a job an 8 hr a day thing, parked down town near several job sites, took hand truck of tools and went to job site to job site, i live in Philadelphia, i drove 2 hours to sands casino, got there even before the start of the day, got denied and drove all around allentown and bethlehem, people began to recognize me, road men and office secretaries i never met began to recognize my voice on the phone and phone # on the call i.d. and told me they wished they had work for me because i showed them such dedication.
Highlighted
the last thing i tried was going to the offices of companies and leaving resume's, and taking resume's to the sites... but it was always the same thing "We're keeping our company men working at this time" i did find several jobs that way, and a few thru the hall, i got a 2 week gig with TJ Manion on my own cuz when i walked on the job someone had got hurt, worked with Riff group for a day, and AFI for a week, even did last years and the years before Car Show thanks to JR, and a company called Modern Fold Styles thanks to Coughlin. But i havnt been with a company long enough to become their "Company Guy" i think thats what needs to be addressed. when this crisis first happened coryell jr had elliot lewis split the shifts at the the convention center from 8 to 4 hour shifts. now the companies there got around that by giving people 2 or even 3 shifts, but it did help alot of other people get a few hours needed to get by. but i do believe that didnt last long. but thats the type of leadership we need. we need to get on the companies to hire when they're short handed. not put the burden on the backs of those still working, trying to take on twice the work load
Highlighted
Highlighted
That sucks about the vote but I'm not surprised at all,It's more of the same ole deal,those in power don't want to chance themselves being voted out,VERY sad the members voice has been taken away for so long now. Also do you know another message board that is just Philly Carpenters ? , they should have one on the Phila. Carpenter site.
Highlighted
i dont know, i found this while i was posting resume's. at the top of this site it allows you to upload a resume. You could possibly start your own, and maybe let people know about it. i see this as beneficial with this being nationwide only because we can see whats working and whats not working in other places and see how we can apply that here.
Highlighted
To members in Philadelphia, there are several jobs coming up, a proposed notion to widen I-95. Hasnt been bid on yet but should run us till 2018, however District 50, a steel workers union which used to build roads to coal mines and is still allowed to bid road construction jobs in 3 states, one including PA, and will be allowed to bid on this pevailing wage job, so lets just hope we're able to obtain. Shops, including a Walmart at the frankford arsenal, and walmart plans 50 new Walmarts in the area. Five guys burgers and fries will be putting a store down near the new lowes on Arimingo, and a few more stores going around that area. several more were mentioned, ask your BA's be proactive and find out the companys bidding or already won the bids and get them on the phone. Hopefully you will be able to land something. Hope this helps!