Anyone doing Excelsior College's LPN-RN program?

I just recently graduated and passed my boards as an LPN. I have talked with Excelsior and I am just wondering if there is anybody who has done the program and is working as an RN. I am curious how many people are doing this route.
If this is something that you have done I would greatly appreciate a response letting me know how it went and if you are working as an RN now.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I totally agree with you. I think it's what you put into it. It's a commitment from start to finish. I think that poster just had a bad experience. Excelsior College has been around for years.

One more thing, I grew up in the Cambria Heights, St. Albans and Hollis area. I've never ever seen anything associated with Excelsior College there.

That poster just had a bad experience
Nov 3, 2019 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Here is what I have to say about people bashing Excelsior and not passing the CPNE...if you can't pass the CPNE, you shouldn't be a nurse, period. The PCS' are FUNDAMMENTAL and not hard if you control your nerves and study. If you can't pass the NSL, I would be worried about patient safety. Don't bash a school for your ineptness. Brick and mortar or online, you'll never pass the NCLEX anyways.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I know exactly what you mean. I was a cna for two years and was told repeatedly l was “just" a cna. It’s not just a joke that nurses eat their young. There is no such thing as “just" a cna; they work so hard and are our eyes and ears concerning patients because they spend more time with them than anyone else.
I quit my cna job to become a LPN and what l learned in school had practically no impact on my nursing career. You learn skills by being on the floor and most times it is trial by fire. It will either make or break you.
The RN’s position and power bothered me for awhile. They are hired fresh out of school and do not know anything. I’ve been a LPN for six years and have worked in three very different specialties and l can run circles around these new nurses. Many of them have the attitude of “I’m too good to help clean up a patient" or “that’s what a cna is for. No ma’am, that’s not how it works. The higher up your degree the MORE responsibility you have, not less. I do my nursing job but always help the aides, if you jump in with a “we are a team and the patient comes first" attitude your aides learn to trust and respect you because your not just doing your job but actively helping them do theirs because God knows they work their tails off for a pittance.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
If testing out of courses get studygroup101 study guides. They include everything you need to study for only 10 bucks each. cpne bootcamp for care plans is great! But there is also ATL clinical and Rob's CPNE online videos all recommended by students
Apr 23, 2019 Solution
Highlighted
The average wait is12 months. BUT I read recently on the facebook groups a couple of people got cancellation dates at 5 months for 1-2 weeks out. The latest one finished in December, studied and practiced and then started calling for cancellations. She gotone for this weekend (Apr26),
Apr 23, 2019 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
As a 2009 graduate of Excelsior's program I must first say it is not for everyone. It is independent and self-paced for a reason, so If you are unable to apply yourself (due to life's demands)and make it priority in your life, this is not for you. For the CPNE I was able to find a local person who charged a small fee to assist with studying for the program. She turned her basement into the clinical stations and posed as my patient to complete my assessments as she critiqued and provided guidance in the clinical skills. While she is not connected to the school, she was a great asset in my studying for that portion, and I'm setting up to do the same for others that are attending Excelsior . As a former Army LPN who had hospital experience, and who's LPN program curriculum included pediatric, geriatric and obstetric components; I had no challenges with Georgia accepting my credentials and allowing me to sit for the state boards. If you're in the same situation then you will have no challenges with getting licensed in Georgia. I know an LPN who just completed her CPNE with Excelsior and is awaiting guidance from the Georgia Board of Nursing on preceptorship since she doesn't have hospital experience as an LPN. Surprised at all the claims of fraudulence by the school as I found that the study guides provided all the necessary info that was needed for success in the program and the school always transparent in their role and my responsibility in being successful. I've never felt that my education was less than others, and have always been looked up to as a competent nurse. I've since pursued an accomplished my BSN and most recently my MSN in nursing education. As a nurse leader, I continue to recommend Excelsior to those LPNs with hospital experience as that is the only experience I can speak to. Thanks Excelsior for giving me an awesome start, and for those of you who are willing and able to commit, you won't regret this step in making your mark in nursing!
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
For you guys getting ready for CPNE..are you active on the Excelsior facebook groups and the Excelsior student forum on the Excelsior web site? Submitting your care plans (practice) to the advisers on the student forum? Read all the old questions..you can search. Someone mentioned Robs..how old is that? Get on those facebook groups, get in a study group. It is passable but you have to do it the right way, took me a while to understand the process. CPNE bootcamp is in FL..good program. There was a good care plan group and a former student in FL who taught you how to do excelsior care plans..Excelsior wants them a certain way..her name was Christy Rodriguez I think. You can't do it on your own IMHO.I passed in 2015 so I'm not up on the recent changes.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I am not bashing the program or promoting it. It is the hardest thing I have ever done but it is doable for some. And the difficulty is what Excelsior wants..if you can pass their program you can pretty much do anything you set your mind to IMHO. And it is nursing which in itself is it's own little can of worms..but you will always have a job if you survive the first year. I hope this helps someone. I recommend to get on face book and talk to current students.
And again..no College Network..they will swindle you in my opinion.

I'll try to monitor here if I can for questions etc. Sorry for the ramble but it is a hard program to describe, it is from my heart and done after an exhausting work day, family duties etc.Good luck to all.
Highlighted
If your care plan is no good you never see the pt, that is a fail. This is why you learn to care plan the excelsior way. At first it seems weird but really after it sinks in it makes total sense. And it is one way that Excelsior who has never met you in person to judge character etc determines if you can follow instructions and take direction. If you can learn to do an Excelsior care plan it means something and shows them something.
If your care plan is good you get to see the pt with 4 or 5 areas of care assigned. For example, one may be skin assessment. In the manual there is a section on skin assessment with lets say 5 or 7 items to cover (color, temperature, etc) You assess the pt and cover each aspect of the assessment..for example "I am now assessing for edema"..cover each step like in the study guide..they will know you studied. If you have obviously prepared they will often give you a little break if you make a small error. But show you have prepared and put in the work. If you pass three pts you have passed the clinical weekend (you can fail 2 out of a possible 5) If you pass your first three you are done. At least this is how it was when I tested out. If you fail the clinical weekend., you can do it two more times..you have to reschedule and take it again..can take months to get a new weekend. And you pay again. If you fail the clinicals three times you are kicked to the curb..done and the credits do not transfer. So yes there are those who fail, the pressure of that weekend is brutal and the stress alond stops some. Others get it done. I'm sure many good people have failed but many did not prepare and were not ready. It is how Excelsior weeds people out. They want you to pass but it is nursing..brutal but there is a purpose if that makes sens. I passed my first time, I'm no genius..older guy who did a career change but I worked my butt off and had a support group.
My messages here are long but are an attempt to pay forward some of the help I received.
Highlighted
Highlighted
4. The final part of the program is the main challenge. The clinicals. Includes clinical skills, care planning and labs. You get a large study guide and have to learn it but it is almost like a puzzle..at least it was for me. I actually passed my academics and got that clinical CPNE manual and glazed over..didn't know where to start. Closed the thing for a month or so after starting to read it. But that book is your map. This portion is where excelsior does the final test of your discipline intelligence work ethic..sorry very vague but it is where they will see who can follow instructions, who has the dedication to prepare, to figure out how to unlock the program. As I said I was lost, then I met one local student she had a local study group, a lab in her living room, just a single poor working mom with a heart of gold. She was ready to test out and was far into clinical prep, she showed me the way. I got involved with her group and the groups of fellow students on face book. I also took an online work shop (independent from Excelsior) that prepare you for clinicals. There are on site workshops you can travel to that teach you..what excelsior wants you to do. (one was called the CPNE boot camp..really this part of the Excelsior course is a boot camp..tough as heck.
5. Learn that study guide..you will go for clinicals to a distant hospital with (been a while I'm forgetting the terminology) lets call them instructors but really they are nurses that work for Excelsior and administer the clinicals. First night (Friday) you do the labs..pass them or you're done and sent home (actually you can fail one and make it up next day). This is why you prepare to where you can do them in your sleep. If you pass the labs. Next Saturday morning you go to the hospital and are assigned a pt..you can get up to 5 pts but you have to pass 3 of them. You do your care plan The Excelsior Way..if your ca
Nov 19, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Yes there are those who fail. It is not for everybody. It is especially good for those who have LPN experience and or good clinical experience from LPN school. Honestly, in LPN school we were usually with RN students who also had no clinical experience. I would urge anyone interested to get on Facebook, there are multiple groups for excelsior students. It is a tradition that we try to help fellow students. I owe my success to students that were further along than I was in the program. We try to pay it forward. I'll try a little right now:
1. You can't do it on your own, especially the clinical aspect. Excelsior gives you a manual to know forward and backwards including labs (set up a lab in your house and practice practice practice). As I said there are multiple support groups (I am going back about 4 years here)there is a forum on the Excelsior web site where you can ask questions of instructors regarding the courses and clinicals. Get involved there, ask questions, let thos instructors get to know you. They know who has prepared. Also there were great forums on facebook (understand I don't like face book but for Excelsior it was vital). There were a few great groups for care planning..submit your care plans and other students will critique and give tips. There where groups for the clinicals and labs as well. Again..You Cant Do It On Your Own!!! Get a local study group of dedicated dependable fellow students. Especially (really only necessary) for the final aspect of clinicals.
2> Do not go near College Network!!!! They are a scam in the opinion of most students..Not Associated with Excelsior!! You will sign a contract for semi useless study aids. If you really want that crap get it on e bay used from a student already ripped off. I have many fellow students who were tricked into signing a contract.
3.The academic courses are doable, typical RN course work, study the topics and take the tests in the Pearsons testing center.
Highlighted
I have the whole set of reference materials (over $3,0000). Only 1 book ever opened and they are still shrink wrapped. If anyone is interested in study materials, make me a decent offer. I even have the NCLEX review book. No marks and brand-new shape in all but 1 book. I've decided not to go this route.
Nov 19, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Excelsior college is being sued for fraud my almost 150 people. Don’t be fooled .. this college stole my future to be an rN away from me. I am going to spread the world like wild fire about their lies and deceptive business practices. Run.. do not go to this school!
Nov 19, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Glad it worked for you. For 95 percent of people who are not working in a hospital and not able or willing to "sell" this program to other people, it is a large amount of money and time wasted. I have talked to people who wasted 30 thousand plus with no degree and no refund. There is ZERO clinical instruction. This is the definition of a diploma mill degree.
Nov 19, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
^^^ The last statement is ridiculous and very subjective. I have to get to work can't reply in detail but I passed around 4 years ago, passed NCLEX 1st try and have been working for 3 1/2 years as an RN. The program works for those who are able to get it done (it is hard), a traditional program is not an option for some. I'm an RN supervisor for a large company in NJ and get this..I'll be 61 in December.
Good luck to all.
Highlighted
Go to a real, authentic in person clinical program. No one will hire you with an online degree. Excelsior College is a moneymaking scam. The only people who "graduate" are potential salespeople who can convince other people to throw tens of thousands of dollars down the drain with no refund. Do you really want to have a "degree" that does not lead to employment in that field?
Nov 19, 2018 Solution
Highlighted