Board ordered nurse

Boy do I know how you feel. Due to a drug problem I surrendered my license and then got it back with Board Order for 3 years. UA's, meeting attendance, RN in area blah blah blah. I bagged my pride and went to start a dailysis career where the stipulations were not an issue. I had a snafu getting the ua's started in time and that really messed things up. Even though I worked 3 years at the dialysis unit, since the UA's had only been going on for a year, my stipulations are gonna stick until I have 3 years of UA's. So basically my order is gonna go on forever. Let me give you some good advice- go apply at those big dialysis companies. Be upfront right off the bat. Tell them you have stips that will not affect your job. Be honest up front!!! I tried to get jobs at other places but they treated me like I had VD. I am still on Order 3.3 years later and have no problem finding jobs in dialysis. It may not be your dream job, but you have a license and the pay is good. Just remember that at the end of the rainbow is an unencumbered license
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hey ZZ,
Wow! What an awful thing to happen.I'm quite sure all of this completely blindsided you as it often takes soo long for cases to actually go before the BON,looks like 3yrs in your case?! So sorry... Wasn't there HR policies to protect you,should have been unless you were newly employed there and still on probationary status??

It can be tedious communicating through this forum if you would like to contact me directly please do so.For sure,obtaining gainful employment is probably the most difficult aspect.Seasoned "warriors"like my self can be great sources of information and support to hopefully make your journey a little easier....until then my prayers go with you...warmly, Pat
Highlighted
Interesting blog. Thought I'd share my experiences. In 2007 I was working in an outpatient surgery center. We were issued fanny packs with all the controlled substances in a plastic box. On the morning of the incident the Pharmacy Nurse was late to work, and my surgeon was upset with the delay. I received my fanny pack opened it and did a cursory count. At the end of the day I turned in my fanny pack to the Pharmacy Nurse. During the return count it was discovered that one 2cc vial of Fentanyl was broken. She instructed me to document that as wasted. It was then discovered that one 2cc vial of Fentanyl was missing. I had not used any Fentanyl all day. I asked the Pharmacy Nurse what to do and how to document this. Her reply was “I don’t know." I asked if there was someone we needed to contact on how to resolve this. She replied “I don’t know." I asked her 6 times, finally she replies “ I guess we can document it as wasted." I asked if she was sure this was the correct way to handle this. She replied “yes." I asked one more time if she was how she wanted this handled and if she was sure this was the correct way to handle this. She again replied “yes". So I changed the number of wasted Fentanyl vials from one to two on the drug count sheet. Three days later she reported me to the BON for falsifying the drug record.
In 2010 the BON deemed that a reprimanded be placed on my license. The ruling was issued in February. I informed my employer, who informed the hospital to which the hospital asks my employer to not use me anymore, i.e. fired. I have since applied to over 150 jobs with in the state had 1 interview with no luck. I have over 30 years experience, never abused controlled substances. This was a documentation fault. But as soon as any employer sees "fentanly" in in reprimand,I don't get any interviews.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Bless your heart! Im in the same spot for the same reason. Mine too was totally non-work related and 5 yrs ago as well. Over 20 years of problem free, compassionate and conscientious nursing, and I can't get a job. I am also at risk of losing my home. I am so very sorry for your situation. I wish I could help you and all the others as well as myself. I keep hope in Christ ... and I keep plugging along. If you would like to email, let me know.
Highlighted
I have one year of UA's and employers are avoiding me like the plague...mine is for a DUI while on vacation, not even work related. Good luck, hope you have better luck than I have. I'll be homeless after the 1st of the year. Living in my car with my 2 dogs. 13 year experience as a nurse with no problems.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Article regarding LANDMARK case APPEAL Suspended License....

Please note this was in FLORIDA,other states may have different laws so ALWAYS check your state...VERY informative,sadly our BON tell us nothing,seem to know nothing,treat us like we are nothing.

Google: Ludwig vs Board of Health..that's it.Hope this helps at least 1 person.
Highlighted
I don't know. I know I had to wait for the board to meet to decide, that's all I know. They treated me like I was trash under their feet. When I was given my stipulations, I was treated as though they were doing me a huge favor by giving me my license at all. I did get two interviews for the 1st of this week, so I'm very excited - please everyone, say a prayer for me! I do not do drugs, never have. I do enjoy a drink but NEVER when I have to work or work the next day. I really don't deserve this.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hi there,
Wow,my heart aches for you truly.The issue here is in EVERY state you are mandated by the nurse practice act to report DUI to nursing board.Infact in Texas any violation with a fine for $300 or more must be reported to the board for ANYONE who holds a STATE license of any kind.When a nurse renews a license it ALWAYS asks if any arrests,crimes etc happened since last license was issued.Sadly as you learned,they always find out and regardless of how long ago it was you will "pay for it" now.I urge you and others reading this,review this on your BON site for your state/states most are same on this issue.Look over Nurse Practice act,the board gets nurses here on soo many things most know nothing about.Lastly,always check your STATE laws too,these can vary somewhat. Hang in there,eventually you will get a job,it will not be what you would like but it will be something.Until then may God Bless and protect you on your journey.
Highlighted
WOW!!!! I can not believe that there are people as ignorant as you still out there! Addiction is a disease, the same as diabetes or cancer. It is an incurable disease but it can be arrested and RECOVERY IS POSSIBLE. Nurses and physicians are at a higher risk for addiction because of our beliefs in medical treatments, the physical as well as mental requirements of the job. To compare the disease of addiction to robbing a bank is just crazy! It would be like telling someone with diabetes that they couldn't work in a candy store or a sugar factory. I pray that you never have to deal with addiction first hand, either yourself or with a loved one, but you really should learn more about the topic before you begin sharing on it. God Bless
Highlighted
Hello, I have been an LPN for 13 yrs. with absolutely no issues. I received a DUI while on vacation in Connecticut. I have been licensed in 4 different states, since I've done a lot of travel nursing. I applied for Texas...it took a little over a year to get it. The cost? $850 for a Psych Eval (board demanded it), fines and Restricted License that I cannot work anywhere outside of Texas without the Boards written permission. UA for a year. This DUI was 6 yrs. ago while on vacation and totally NOT related to work. I moved here to be near my daughter & grandson...cannot find a job to save my life! No supervised work, no restrictions other that Texas ONLY & UA's...doesn't matter-nobody will hire me! They have an 11 page document attached to my License when you try to verify me! I'm about to be on the street as soon as my unemployment runs out.
Highlighted
As a teenager, I made some really poor choices and got arrested a few times. So when I got my life together, I petitioned to the Texas BON and they put me on stipulations for one year, with drug testing and quarterly evaluations and stipulations on what i could and couldn't do. Being a brand new nurse with no experience and stipulations, it was so hard for me and so scary. But I went on craigslist and found a job at a nursing home that was pretty desperate for nurses. Luckily they gave me a chance and after almost $5000 in fees and embarrassment, I was 2 months from being done when I got a letter from the board that said my first drug test (nearly a year before I got the letter) had come out positive for something they already knew about. So I hired a lawyer, waited another year and just a few weeks ago I finally got a letter from the board that they were dropping the charges and that my stipulations were met and my license was cleared. My best advice to all of you going through the same thing I did is HIRE A LAWYER!! Don't get me wrong, it was expensive, the lawyer I went with had a $3000 retainer, but it was worth every penny!! I only wish I had done that to begin with. Also, if you ever have to mail the board anything, make sure that you send it with delivery confirmation and where someone there has to sign for it. At first, I felt guily about my past and so I took what the board gave me with my tail bewteen my legs just thanking God that the board had given me a chance, but now I know that we have got to fight! We are human, we make mistakes, but we all have to remember that this is a business. And they will make money any which way they can.So for all of you in my situation, look for jobs in small towns near where you live that are desperate for nurses, look on craigslist. Hire a lawyer. and fight! never give up! and may God bless all of us who make mistakes and are hoping for a second chance
Highlighted
Hi. I'm not certain that my situation is similar to yours except for the fact that the BON ((Ga) has turned me into a zombie! There was a computer glitch in Jan 2011, when my license was up for renewal. At the time, the only 'punishment' for late filing(2 days) was a $35 charge. However, after finding a job that I finally loved, in May, I was approached by HR stating my license was expired. Therefor, I, unknowingly, had been practicing without a valid license. Now the company refuses to pay me for services rendered during the month of April (there billing was always behind). They have not mentioned anything about the bills the collected on from Feb1 to May 10, Just the April amt. So, I was told that i HAD TO DO 'Reinstatement' in order to get my RN and FNP license back. After being unemployed with 3 children, mortgage, second mortgage...you get the drift. The 'Reinstatement' process drug on until I had to swallow my pride, stop fighting them and sign an AFFIDAVIT, pay$300.00 fine and try to get reimbursed for monies owed to me. Eight months all together.
Biggest question: If the co was billing through a Dr's number, WHY are they refusing to pay me now?
The BON judgement was a 'Private reprimand'. Not only that, the ruling for reinstatement became a BON rule AFTER my situation began. Any attorney's out there?
Highlighted
Highlighted
Dear Sheliah,
From my job search experience most if not all places I applied it was online and there was ALWAYS the dreaded question was your license ever disciplined?! You must answer truthfully as they will find out anyway also it is a violation of the Nurse Practice Act subject to discipline/fine by the Nursing Board should someone report you.If you are lucky enough to get invited in for an interview after disclosing this in general way on the application there is NO need to lead with that as you have already disclosed.I have never had the unit manager with whom I having interview with have a job application in front of them...they are interested in your presentation of yourself,and your resume/experience. When you are brought in for 2nd interview or when an official offer has been made to you then and only then do you bring this up.If you have no restrictions/stipulations left on your liscense I would NEVER bring it up unless directly asked...that was then,this is now.It only becomes a point of serious discussion if you have restrictions requiring special accomodation. Make sure you are not still on National Practioner Data Bank or the Office of Inspector General exclusion list in your state. I wish you the very best of luck...much congratulations on your hard earned sobriety...a lot to be proud of!! Warm regards, Pat
Highlighted
I am a nurse in recovery and sober for 6 years, I had disciplinary action which will be on my license forever, I had 3 years of probation completed some time ago successfully. My question is I am interviewing for new jobs and do I tell them my history right off the bat, if they ask because they will see I was disciplined, I dont mind sharing my story, but I dont know if I should lead off with it or wait until a job is offered, it's been 6 years, please advise
Highlighted
I find it ironic that in nursing school we are taught how addiction is a disease yet the medical profession, I have found, is one of the most unforgiving for this "medical disease". I struggled with addiction and went to inpatient and outpatient treatment on my own. I was clean for almost a year when an "annonymous" source decided to report me for my past bad decisions. My license was suspended for 18 months and I have 3 years of restrictions placed on my license. I can't find a job. I just saw a posting for a nurse in a treatment center and they listed in their requirements that they want a RN with no disciplinary actions against them by the board of nursing. If a center that treats addiction and knows about this disease won't hire us then who will? I have jumped through hoops for the board to get this far and still have to for 3 years after getting a RN position. I wondering if it is worth it?
Highlighted
Highlighted
Continued:

When I last checked, nurses do not, or rather should not posses these characteristics. Where is our compassion? I can truly understand repercussions if a nurse harmed a patient due to his/her non-cognitive state, but everyone should not be punished the same contingent upon their circumstances.

So, where do we go from here? I will connect with those of you who extend their personal emails. I am ready to turn these matters around for us as caregivers and fight the good fight!

To those who doubt and are non-believers, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE THROUGH CHRIST JESUS, THE ONE WHO GIVES US STRENGHT TO ENDURE UNTIL THE END! DON’T GIVE UP!!!
Highlighted
This was my original post to this discussion board:

I have recently received a LA Board Consent with an order to complete continuing education hours in the area of Legal Aspects of Nursing Care. Does anyone know of free CE websites that provide these courses?

…but enough is enough!

I too share in everyone's pain and frustrations in dealing with the nursing state board. I truly understand that as nurses, we are in the business of throwing out a lifeline to providing safe and competent care to our afflicted patients, but who and where is the support we need (nurses) when we fall under various seen/unforeseen subjections?

From reading the previous posts, my heart and soul goes out to every nurse that has been punished (not disciplined) by his/her respective boards. I recently received a board consent order due to failing a pre-employment drug screen. I consulted several nurse attorneys, but could not afford the outrageous retainer fees. I expressed to the board that I was not working as a patient caregiver at the time, but they turned a deaf ear to my plight. I researched all avenues to keep the board from moving forward with the charge, but they went full force! They seem to have NO MERCY with their own, and definitely live up to the saying "Nurses eat their young!" In these cases, "young and old."

Many of you seem to have the passion to fight this beast known as the "State Board" and I am willing to join you. If we don't stand for something, we will fall for anything! I strongly believe that there is strength in numbers and that we can defeat this enemy. Too many of us have exemplary educational backgrounds, exceptional nursing experiences, and caring/compassionate hearts, and I would hate to see us give up because of what the "state board" says we can and/or can not do. They are controlling, obnoxious, dismissive, have tunnel vision, and uncaring and cold towards the very entity that they claim to be, NURSES!
Highlighted
I just realized that I suppose I do have disciplinary action that has been taken. Its strange...I call the board myself because I was scared and knew that I needed help. Which I now realize was a HUGE mistake. I was going to get the help I needed for me regardless of what they said. But what do they do, a nurse on the board turns me in herself....so then was the disciplinary action of license on probabtion, random drug screens and counselor for however long...and meetings which I don't mind at all about. I couldn't afford the randoms, and the counselor so I had to voluntarily suspend my license for 2 years. Now that the two years are up, I still can't afford to do those things plus the many fines that have....I did what I had to do for me as a person and I got the help I needed. It makes me so sad how doctors just hand these pain meds out...they know what they do to people. I'll say again that I never did anything illegal to get the pain medications, nor would I. And now that I'm clean; I really just want to leave that in the past and be something I can be proud of for myself and my children. It angers me how difficult it was made for me by the board of nursing when if I had just been smart enough not to trust in them I could already have a career in something...or maybe still be nursing. Who knows....I would think they would want to take care of the nurses they already have...Anyway so if I have disciplinary action against me then I can't go back to school?? Thanks
Highlighted
As long asyou did NOT have any board action/discipline of any kind you should be good to go. I totally get it and do NOT blame you 1 bit not wanting to "fight this out".If you or anyone here can find an alternative means to obtain gainful employment that will enable you to pay your bills then I say ...go for it.May God bless you and protect you on your new journey!
Highlighted
Highlighted
AMEN! THE BOARD HAS MADE A FORTUNE OFF ME FOR THE PAST SIX YEARS. FINDING A JOB WITH THE RESTRICTIONS IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE AND NOW PITT, WAKE, AND DUKE ARE NOT HIRING NURSES WHO HAVE RESTRICTIONS ON THEIR LICENSE YET, THE BOARD WILL NOT EVEN SUGGEST A FACILITY TO TRY TO GET A JOB. IF THEY ARE SINCERE IN WANTING TO GET US BACK INTO SAFE PRACTICE THEN WHY NOT SET UP A PROGRAM WITH THE GOVERNMENT, HEALTH DEPTS., PRISONS, COUNTIES, WHERE WE COULD WORK OFF OUR RESTRICTION TIME IN THESE FACILITIES WHILE AT THE SAME TIME, THE STATE WOULD BE FILLING THEIR NEEDS FOR NURSES AND THEY COULD EVEN HAVE A BASE PAY RATE FOR THOSE WORKING UNDER RESTRICTIONS TO HELP WITH GOVERNMENT FUNDING OF THE PROGRAM? PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK, ANYONE, BY EMAILING US AT ***********.
Highlighted
Hi! I'm in Raleigh, N.C. and have been in complete recovery for 11 years. I waited to apply for reinstatement until my child started school but have had restricted license for 5 years now. Been offered seven jobs but Board would not approve due to tiny little issues they said did not meet restriction rules and just found out that Pitt Health Systems/Eastern N.C. Health Facilities will not hire nurses with any restrictions on their license and this was personally told to me by a nurse recruiter from Pitt. Also, Wake Med and Duke is now saying they will not hire nurses with any restrictions on their license. So, where are we to turn? The Board will not even suggest a facility to try to get a job at. It seems they offer the programs just so they can say they offer them but really do not want us back because they make it almost impossible to find a job so you can work off your restrictions. This is not fair and we all need to get together and do something about this. If there are others who agree then please email us at *********** where we are compiling information to bring to LegalAid to have these programs relooked at for fairness. I have worked hard to rebuild my life and get well and being treated this way by my Board is extremely disappointing.
Highlighted
I apologize for my comment getting misplaced so let me make it clear that it was addressed to the judgmental one hailing from North Carolina, posted about March 1, 2011. You know, the one with all the answers without asking a single question. You know who you are. Now get to the library and read the Elsevier article post haste!!
Highlighted
I am stunned by such profound ignorance. The AMA declared substance use disorders as legitimate diseases way back in the 1950's, due to their chronic, progressive and fatal nature. Read this article, maybe you could learn something although it seems doubtful since learning requires an open....NOT NARROW..mind.
[Special Section: Defining and Measuring “Recovery"
Special article
What is recovery? A working definition from the Betty Ford Institute
The Betty Ford Institute Consensus Panel☆
Received 16 February 2007; received in revised form 4 June 2007
Abstract
There is an unknown but very large number of individuals who have experienced and successfully resolved dependence on alcohol or
other drugs. These individuals refer to their new sober and productive lifestyle as “recovery." Although widely used, the lack of a standard definition for this term has hindered public understanding and research on the topic that might foster more and better recovery-oriented interventions. To this end, a group of interested researchers, treatment providers, recovery advocates, and policymakers was convened by the Betty Ford Institute to develop an initial definition of recovery as a starting point for better communication, research, and public understanding.
Recovery is defined in this article as a voluntarily maintained lifestyle characterized by sobriety, personal health, and citizenship. This article presents the operational definitions, rationales, and research implications for each of the three elements of this definition. © 2007 Published by Elsevier Inc.
Keywords: Recovery; Addiction; Substance use disorders; Addiction treatment
Highlighted
Highlighted
I am pretty familiar with investigations of misappropriation of medications. I am not an attorney, but my recommendation to you to is to NOT submit a drug screen, since you already know you will test positive due to already taking the medications illegally. What specifically if I may ask is leading to you being accussed of medication theft? Is this a nursing home setting, hospital setting, etc. Some may think 1+1=5, so if you take the drug test and test positive, they may automatically assume you did it, and that may sway how they investigate. It is sort of like if one believe's something, then find's evidence to support what one believe. Is this a medication that requires two nurses to count each shift? I would recommend that you ask them specifically what you are being accused of, and for you to sit down and document and go over evidence to help come up with credible information.

Is law enforcement involved? If so, I would definitely recommend you get an attorney so you do not mistakenly incriminate yourself.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I need help,advice, i was accused of diverting, the medication i am accused of diverting i take by illegal means. i have a problem but did not divert however my charting and work sucks from just not caring, even i would believe i diverted, so i was asked to submit a drug screen, i did i have til monday to change my mind. would you submit knowing it will be positive or deny it and let the pieces fall where they may? please help
Highlighted
Well said "Movingforward72",BRAVO!! I've been trying for 7yrs to get out from under all of this,has cost me over 3/4 MILLION $ to date with lost income,loss of home,car,savings,legals,medical and other bills.I was 30yrs a nurse when all this happened,have been in solid recovery over 3yrs,still cannot sustain gainful employment.I cope by reaching out to help others,I made a personal committment to reach out to ANY nurse going through discipline,addiction issues.I am determined to make my difficult journey through all of this count for something,I have a lot to offer,most of all...I care.Feel free[ANYONE!]to email me,I will help anyway I can.Warm regards....pat ***********
Highlighted
yes you are right there are consequences to foolish actions. EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM IS PAYING THE CONSEQUENCES FOR THERE ACTIONS.I doou believe that if you will take the time to read these post carefully you will relize that we are not making excuses for what we have done but simply trying to find a way back to the job that we love. The programs offered to nurses with drug or alcohol related offenses are not easy to adhere to, pay for, or explain to potential employers. Please know that we are paying dearly for the mistakes we have made. Because we love what we do and despite our mistakes will do whatever it takes to get back to it. Not everyone here on this forum is here for drugs some are here for honest mistakes, problems they had before they entered the nursing field and some here are even paying for others mistakes. IT'S LIKE YOUR MOM SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT YOU...... IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY THING GOOD TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!! FIND A NEW PLACE TO CHAT. WE ARE HERE FOR EACH OTHERS SUPPORT NOT FOR YOU TO JUDGE. IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT JUST GET A JOB WITH ANY OF THE STATES BOARD OF NURSING AND GET PAID FOR IT!!!
Highlighted
SOmething big that could happen to a hospital/nursing home/home health/hospice agency.......if one is working in a setting that receives reimbursement for Medicare/Medicaid (i.e. hospitals and nursing homes), CMS (Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services) could require that agency to pay a hefty fine for all of the patients/residents who the unlicensed nurse performed billed services on (i.e. wound care, etc). CMS views that as health care fraud.

In the most extreme scenerio (not sure all the specifics of your situation), you could be potentially opening yourself up to not only having board discipline through your state nursing board, BUT they could also refer you to the Federal Exclusions list (which is basically the worst thing that can happen). You will be prohibited from working anywhere that Medicare/Medicaid provides reimbursement, which is pretty much everywhere a nurse is employed.
Highlighted
Wow!! Back at you Raleigh!! I seriously don't even know where to begin regarding your highly judgemental,self rightous,grossly uninformed comment...seriously??!!News flash,addiction[to anything]is a DISEASE,similar to heart disease,diabetes,AIDS[remember the "gay disease"]it is deserving of TREATMENT just like ANY other medical condition.The DISEASE of drug/alcohol addiction does NOT discriminate,it is an equal opportunity disease,any 1 even YOU could sucuumb.Nurses' still in ACTIVE addiction most certainly put themselves and the public at risk when they practice while under the influence of drugs/alcohol and all would agree they should not be allowed to work in nursing until they have been treated and are in solid recovery.That is why almost every state has a monitoring program,it is their job to monitor recovering nurses,and trust me monitor you they do!If a nurse became diabetic but is now stable with dietary restricitions,Insulin and daily monitoring of blood sugars should this nurse not be allowed to EVER work as a nurse again??!!Then why is it if an addicted nurse gets rehab,practices a life rooted in recovery,is being monitored for compliance by the state why should this nurse be denied working in the very profession she probably has dedicated a large part of her/his life to??Very sad,frankly unbelievable,folks like you are actually out there.I will pray for you.
Highlighted
I am a RN and have recently recieved a Board order from the Board of Nurses stating i must work under the supervision of another RN dosent have to be on the same floor but working the same hours and that RN must be readily avaiable to ansewr any questions i may have while i am on duty my question is i am a longterm nurse and has very little acute care experience yet a fast learner where in Dallas county do you think i could apply for employment and possibly be accepted. Last position was Director Of Nurses

It just means you can't work home health or hospice out in the field where you will be working solely by yourself. Working at a nursing home, hospital, or even in a office doing quantitative analysis or nursing office type job. Getting into a hospital with these restrictions on license is pretty much not possible. I've done icu for 10 years and tried even prior to the settlement being in effect but was honest with them knowing it would be coming into play soon. i then focused on nursing homes strictly. hope that helped
Highlighted
if the board of nursing finds out you could lose your license. Either suspension, revocation, or probation. I would stop working immediately and not start again until its renewed and pray no one finds out. I would let your nurse manager know you can't work and not tell her details on the fact you've been working while expired. Make up something or take small leave of absence.
Highlighted
I finally got a job, a pulled a heart string. Its nursing home but knew that was where it would be and a bit of a drive. MY advice to you is don't give up keep applying job after job on careerbuilder and any other job sights with your resume. I don't know your situation as far as, are you on probation and what stipulations do you have. I applied for any and everything that was within my settlement.
Highlighted
Highlighted
So what do we do? How can we all help one another? I have been looking for a job now for over one year? I am so ready to give up? funny thing is - everyone needs nurses so badly, they just dont want to give anyone a second chance.
I am willing to do any kind of work - help!!!1
Highlighted
wow that is very callus. you need to keep in mind there are some bad nurses out there that deserve this crap the board calls discipline and there are some of us like myself who made stupid choices as a teenager and get put on these programs when trying to achieve my dream and make something of myself. those who are not sinners may be the first to cast stones
Highlighted