Should I go for the medical assistant program?

Hello Sara,
Just wanted to say sorry for your loss but it's time to move on. You will never do anything if you keep yourself there. So here's my advise get out of this rut and only you can do this. Sorry don't mean to be rude but you need to move on.

So anyway, I am a Medical Assistant I have been for 5 years and I love it. Right now I work for a career school that offer MA class and now I am an Externship Coordinator. People ask me why am I here and not out in the medical field. Well I know what it is to struggle to get where you need to get and I'm here to help you. Like I tell my students you will only get out what you put into it.

I to had to put myself through school with no support from my husband and I had 4 kids and home. So while my husband was not there my kids lived on MC Donalds for 11 months. I did what ever I could to do my best to finish. I also worked as a waitress in the morning will I went to school at night. That was the best thing I ever did for myself and for my kids, and I am no longer in the marriage.

So yes start as a Medical Assistant see if you will like it because you have to love what you do to make it work.

Sara, everyone goes through hard times and are in a rut for a while but only you can make it better. SO GET UP, GET OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Sincerely

Peggy from Austin and living up with my kids.
Highlighted

Becoming a CMA(AAMA) was the best decision I made because I am a people person and love helping others. I work in a specialty clinic and making $15.49/hr. It’s not all about the pay, it’s about the difference you can make in someone life and put a smile on their face warms my heart. 

Jan 15, 2020 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
I enrolled in a community college already since March this year. I completed 270 hours so far (18% progress overall). I do like to learn medicine and understand better my body in a way to say. I am not passion;however, in the career as I should.y passion is always being working with animals. We know the other path does not pay well plus long hours. That is why I decided to enroll in this program. Great pay, flexible hours, great benefits compare to a vet assistant or vet tech. I've been using my grant to go school and they paid almost everything. That is another problem. To pay them back. Any suggestions or feedback.... I am confused.. someone says here-... you need to love what you do.. at the same time, pay is really good and this MA career is growing to 29% next couple years. Its so much to learn though, I even paid my full set of books that were not cheap=$501.
Dec 3, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
I was trying to start my own question but can't seem to figure out how so here goes....I have an associate's degree in applied sciences. I worked as an RN for a couple years only to mess my neck and back up in a wreck. I let my license go but would love to be in the medical field as a medical assistant. Is this possible with what I have or do I need to get an actual MA certification? Thanks for any advise!!
Sep 1, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
am a Cna right now trying to start an MA program in cobb medicals pls can someone advice me am bearly 6 months in Georgia but am CNA certified i intend doing RN after my MA pls can credits b transfer
May 8, 2018 Solution
Highlighted
Yeah. My coworkers sister is a receptionist at a hospital. My co worker said she is not going to college because she can easily go work at a hospital like her sister. She is Hispanic so the bilingual part is down. All she needs to do is tell her sister she needs a job. Man I swear, seems so unfair. Now I can't even count on a certificate, degree, or whatever to get me into a healthcare job without being bilingual is Spanish....I'm sure if it was me versus my coworkers, they wouldn't pick me.

And I'm learning Spanish but it's going to take me years to be fluent. Sometimes I wonder if going to school for MA is even worth it.
Nov 5, 2017 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I have a bachelor's degree in biomedical sciences, applying for med tech internships in the area, but in case I am not selected I am looking into applying for a medical assistant program. I have narrowed it down to Keiser, Liberty University, Herzing University and Penn Foster's program. Does anyone have any knowledge on these programs? I'm not sure how to decide which one would be best.
Sep 1, 2016 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hi Samantha! I am also in Massachusetts and am attending the local community college doing first my summer gen eds to get it going. My biggest issue was BIO 101 and A&P 1 and 2 which is after Bio 101. Then for nursing, there is the Allied Bio course, and for Med. Asst., it is the Body in Health Anatomy course. That is hard ti figure on without taking them all (payment becomes high)....and deciding to where to matriculate into another program after.

I want to do the MA that I'm signed up for in Sept., but I also want to do the degree program so I can get more hourly income. Did you do it at the same time? The degree prog. here is just called the AS in Health Science.
Thanks,
Lananda
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Nadia, please don't do it!!!! I made the mistake of going for MA here in houston, grad in 2012 and still have not found an MA position, like most of my class!!! I felt like I could do more with my life so I went to a shiny new technical school off the Katy freeway out of desperation. The classes weren't very hard ,they were medium sized with lots of hands on work, which was fun, especially phlebotomy and injections. They will of course tell u everything you want to hear,"9-10 month program, 8-12 or 1-6 pm, we help find a job" HA! but when u get on any job website and look for MA postings, 90+% of them say "must have 1+ yrs of experience, externship NOT considered as experience" but how can you get experience if no one will hire you?? Luckily,I did find a donor phlebotomy position, and realized I should have followed my first mind and just went for phlebotomy, which is a shorter cheaper&course at any community college. Also, phlebotomist seem to get paid a little bit more than MA's here in Houston. Also most community colleges in the area usually want you to have prereqs b4 getting into their MA or LVN programs, so it may take 18 mos to 2+ yrs, depending on what classes you need. Also,if u want to do lvn instead, Alvin community college doesn't have many prereqs either. There are so many more in demand careers out there,like surg tech or RN, that would be so much more worth it. In the end, if you do decide to go to a technical school, try to get an externship at a hospital- you have a better chance at getting hired on or making connections. Hope this help
Highlighted
I graduated with a AS degree in Medical Assisting about 1 1/2 years ago. Just in the past 4 months, I have applied for close to 50 jobs and interviewed and re-interviewed for about 6 jobs. Everything goes well and I never hear back. There are at least three schools in my area that have the MA program. Two community colleges and Charter College. It took me 2 1/2 years to go through the Community College program. It's takes Charter about 9 months or so. So every so many months another 70, or so, hopeful MA's get barfed out into the world thinking they will get a job. There have been more job openings for CMA's lately because all the LPN's are finally getting into Nursing School, but those jobs are being filled with CMA's already working and with at least a year under their belts. I was very optimistic when I started the program. I had lots of prior medical experience in various forms. But too many MA's and too few jobs makes it impossible to get in. I feel bad for all those hopeful students that think a job will be waiting for them when they graduate. Those days are over, if they ever existed at all. The schools will tell you what you want to hear because they all want to make money off you. I'm still trying to find a job, but not for too much longer. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go for RN. None of the MA credits transfer over to anything so it would be starting from ground zero and I am getting too old for that.
Highlighted
Not sure about your school or your credentials this is important. If u have no schooling in any healthcare but show intrest and have customer service background or are interested premed. Start working in private practice Derm offices, $16-17 an hour + benifits and free cosmetics or discounted drastically. they are high volume and they are always looking to hire. Some will do all your training on site including aseptic tech, surgical tool sterilization, fillers botox and pathology book keeping, they will teach u history taking and vital signs. and they will give you more tasks as u prove worthy like contacting patients with both benign and malignant reports. after two years go to ARMA American registry of medical assistants and u can become registered. You will not be a certified medical assistant but they are viewed as the same by almost all places. After u get ur arma cert renew it yearly or u loose it for good. derm jobs are plentyful, and u get picked up but other specialty docs down the road. if u get fired or get bored or don't like a doc who cares? u will get snatched up in a heartbeat if u are a good communicator, multitasker, can prioritize, and above all have compassion for the ill. I happen to have a background in internal med. i went to school for 3 years and became a NREMT/ paramedic. I recommended my friend who never had any formal medical training and she did it.
Pay in in dc baltimore area17-25 an hour plus benefit and bonus. Good luck.
Oct 6, 2014 Solution
Highlighted
I want to take some classes for MA school here in Houston...is it someone from here maybe....let me know ... So u can tell me about school...is it hard or no?because I am mom....do u need to study very hard to pass all classes or no!? I means depends another school is more harder I thing then this one aMA ..thanks
Any answer will help me ....
Sep 23, 2014 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I live just north of Los Angeles. I went to an adult school that was 10 weeks front office and 10 weeks back office with phlebotomy. I completed my phlebotomy externship with 300 blood draws and my 160 hours medical assistant externship. Now I am having a difficult time finding a MA job. They all want 1 year of experience and bilingual Spanish. Some ads even say "NO NEW GRADS"

The pay here in the Los Angeles area is between $10-$14/HR and you see a lot of part time ads. It would be nice if doctors would give new grads a job even if we would work for less money just to get the experience.
Highlighted
I am glad to hear some of the comments on here. I am enrolled at my community college to start the Medical Assisting program. The pay here in Iowa for a newbie is around $14 an hour. I chose this as a career for now because I know I want to be in the medical field but am not sure exactly where...I think getting my foot in the door with this 1 year low cost program is the best thing for me right now.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hi my name is Samantha i was looking at alot of the comments on here and was just going to give some insight on what i think about MA's . Ok first off the Lpn degree will soon better montages completely alot of jobs are letting go of there Lpn's they are even starting to take the program out of the schools where im from. I live in Massachusetts by the way. I am currently taking up a science of medical assisting associates degree so i will be a certified medical assistant with a degree which pays about $10 more an hour than just having the certificate and i will also be able to transfer my credits if i do decide to further my education. My school has a accelerated program so it takes 14 months to obtain your degree. The medical field is a great field to get into because there will always be in demand. So for LPN dont do it the degree doesn't mean anything and you will have trouble finding a job. If there is anyone in Massachusetts looking to become a MA i would definitely Suggest going to my school its called Salter College i hope i helped out to anyone with any questions they had
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I need help...I wanna go back to school for Medical Assisting but dont know which school would be best. Also I see there are AAS degrees, AOS degrees, an certificates...whats the differnce between them all....Please anyone 🙂
Highlighted
Yes, the pay scale for MA is not great and you do the work as LPN and get paid alot less. However, I feel once you have the RMA or CMA certifcation you are valueable. I guess it comes down to what you really want to do and how much research you can invest to find a school.
I see it as if Im going to pay $18K for deploma at a private school like Meridian or Southwest Florida College or $33K for Keiser for AS degree, I want to make sure the school will cater to me.

Robert Kanarr
Sep 23, 2012 Solution
Highlighted
guest in Oakland, Belive me, I have done research and visited about half dozen private school and two local communty colleges. The only problem is, each community school is 8 hour day classes running 5 days a week. Which is fine if your a younger student living at home. How are you suppose to work to support yourself if you have to spend 8 hours a day in school for 5 days a week ? only one community college is ABHES accredited.

Answer to your other question about MA being long gone: Perhaps your right maybe too many MA's and not enough jobs for them. I feel that alot of people are going to school for the RN and skipping the MA field especially the younger students. Im 45 years old I dont want to work crazy hours in a hospital if Im a RN.
For a MA you can go anywhere in the country to work and you dont need to register with the State or pay a fee like you would if your a CNA.
Highlighted
I agree about Everest College....I went to visit the school in Brandon, FL. Its very expensive for AS Degree for Medical Assisting just as expensive as Keiser College but Keiser has alot of accredication and will prepare you for the RMA or CMA exam. Not saying that Everest wont prepare to take the exam but paying back over $20K is alot.

I found that the fiancial aide for Everest should be taken with caution since Im weary of paying back less then half the tuition at a 12% interest rate.
All these things such as accredication, paying back tuition, starting out-of-pocket fees, and especially for accredication of a school should all be taken into consideration. Do reasearch call AMT and ask about clinical hours, accredication of a school.

Robert Kanarr
Highlighted
I feel persuing with a Medical Assisting Degree will be better then deploma. I have done alot of research and found that accreditation of a school and the clinical hours for intership is very important at least here in Florida. I will like to do LPN but have to take the TEAS or HESI test and I dont think Im that smart. Besides starting base pay for MA is better the CNA or Resident Aide plus you get to work mostly dayshift hours and have most weekends off if you work at a clinic or doctors office. I guess their are pros and cons to everything but Im learning to be sure the school is ABHES accretided.
Highlighted
I am a 52 year old male and I am thinking about going to start a program here in southern california called Conejo Valley Adult Education. The certificate will be in Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant with Phlebothomy Technician 1. The program is 20 weeks plus externship for Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant 4 weeks and phlebothomy technician 2 weeks. The total cost is $4,899 that also includes the NCCT certification testing, test prep and skills workshop.

I am currently on unemployment so at least I am getting paid while going back to school.

They have no job placement department
Sep 21, 2012 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Hi Paula, I will like to get my AS degree for MA but on the other hand dont want to get it just for the sake of saying I have my AS degree. My main objective is to get a decent job right away after college. Though here in Florida a MA will start out about $12.00 a hour no matter if you have a AS degree or not. Both colleges Meridian and Keiser is about $18,500 in which is alot of tution to pay back for only makeing $12.00 a hour.

Robert
Highlighted
Hi Paula, thank you for for corresponding to me....your insite is very helpful. Yes, both schools are accredited through ACCSC, FAPSC and Florida Dept. of Education. For me personally, it depends how bad I want the AS degree for MA. It probably wont make me anymore money job-wise as long as I pass the RMA or CMA exam. Keiser college only has the AS degree so they can keep me in school longer and make money and it cost $200 to enroll.
Meridian is only $25 and one year deploma to start working as a MA but their exam for the RMA is off campus site so I dont know if that makes a difference. Both schools are only 4 and half hours 3 days a week. Meridian is more inclined for the working class person. Do you have yahoo messenger to chat ?
May 23, 2012 Solution
Highlighted
Which ever school you decide on just make sure they are ABHES & CAAHEP accredited. Maybe you can ask what their success rate is for passing the certification test, as if you can't pass the test your education is irrelivant and you would have to retake it and it's expensive. I do not see in my area where having an associates degree will increase my pay as everyone in the medical field has their place, a medical assistant has a pretty clear job description and of course it all depends on where you work. Some MA graduates are office personel some are back office doing initial patient vitals and chief complaint, also drawing blood for test ordered. I am switching to the diploma program from the associates degree as it is not going to make any difference in my pay or job description and it will cost me a lot less. I am like you that I don't at my age want to work crazy hours or trauma, I just would like to work in the medical field as I love helping people and feel I am compassionate enough to do a good job. I also think it's a good job for someone in our age group. I hope to work at one of the hospital clinics and I do like 8 hour shifts versus 12 considering I am older. It's been nice talking to you! Remember to check those accredidations I mentioned.
Highlighted
Im torn between two private schools one is Keiser college and the other is Meridian. Keiser requiest the AS degree for MA and its 22 months part time. The Meridian is 12 months of the deploma. Im sure once I pass the RMA or CMA exam it dont matter if I get a AS degree since I dont plan to become a nurse in the future. I am in my mid 40's and I like my weekends off and working day shift. I just hope Im makeing the right choice and it bothers me so much and I get headaches in thinking on what I should do and Im wasteing time.
Highlighted
I think going to school for the MA is a good choice, my biggest concern was the associates versus the certificate. I have done some home work here and from what I understand If you attend a school where your credits will transfer out then go for the associates degree or if you think that maybe you would like nursing then you may just want to get the certificate and when you have time or money if nursing strikes you as something you would like then you can go to a nursing school. The MA education will help you in nursing. In my studies for MA-A I take lots of classes it's a full 2 yr. program with no time off except major holidays. I am not young so for me the idea of working no weekends or nights is very appealing. If I were younger I would just go for nursing but one thing to remember is nursing school is no joke, it has a very rigid curriculum, either way do your research for your area. MA pay is not as great as one would expect given the duties. You can also get certified in different areas in the medical field which can in crease your pay too. The only difference in classes for MA versus MA-A is alot of educational classes such as; Math, English 1&2, Literature, Speech etc. In the diploma program you will not be required to take all the educational classes. I hope I was of some help and didn't confuse you more lol!
Highlighted
I was also thinking of going to school for the Medical Assisting. I dont know weather to go for AS degree or deploma ? I guess it dont really matter as long as your certified as a RMA or CMA through a credited school. MA's dont make much money from what I hear but the hours are mostly daytime jobs and no weekends ? Any help will be appreciated