Notice of changes to the Indeed Community

Over the past 10 years, we’ve built a community experience designed to better serve and connect job seekers everywhere. While this work has been deeply rewarding, we have decided to say goodbye to the Indeed Community so we can focus on other areas of the business that bring us closer to our mission of helping people get jobs.

What does this mean for you?

The Indeed Community will enter “read only” mode beginning on Oct. 31, 2020. This means you will not be able to interact with others in the community after that time. You’ll still be able to access past conversations on the Indeed Community until Dec. 1, 2020, at which time the Indeed Community product and all content previously posted on it will no longer be available when you visit this site.

Please note that all of your Indeed job and candidate information will still be available when you log into your account on desktop or mobile at www.indeed.com. To download your data from the Indeed Community, please visit the "Personal Information" section of your profile before Dec. 1, 2020. After this time you'll be able to download your community data by submitting a request via the process described in our Privacy Policy.

In the meantime, we encourage you to visit the Indeed Career Guide for advice and resources to help you achieve your career goals. For resume advice from professional coaches and resume writers, you can also visit our Resume Review services.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to connect with you on the Indeed Community. We look forward to delivering more ways to serve you with the best job search tools in the world.

Most sincerely,

-The Indeed Team

Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to leave nursing, advice please

I would greatly appreciate some advice. I already have regrets so I am just trying to make the best of the situation I’m in now. I am 28 yrs old. Got my A.D.N in 2010 and went straight to do the RN-BSN and completed that in 2011, which I regret now, however I didn’t go into debt for it. I’ve been an RN (ICU) for 2 yrs and I absolutely hate it. I just cannot do this forever. There are not as many options as I was lead to believe. If you don’t want the bedside you are useless so therefore I need to make plans to escape. I have thought about numerous options. I like healthcare but not direct patient care. So I’ve thought about going for RHIT or RHIA, which would mean going back for a either an A.S. or B.S. in health information technology or management degree to be able to sit for those certifications. I’ve thought about becoming a certified in medical billing and coding through a short-term program. I hear coders are needed and can make salaries comparable to nurses. I’ve thought about masters in MSN, MBA, MPH, informatics and Healthcare Admin. Informatics and technology interest me a lot since I am more introverted and like healthcare and computers. However, I am very leary about running back to school for an advanced degree because there’s no guarantee in getting a job plus experience is paramount anyways so then the degree seems obsolete. I refuse to go into debt for high hopes especially when you gotta put your nose to the grindstone anyway . I’m not interested in teaching. I’ve even thought about pursing other degrees in PT, OT, SLP, rad tech, med tech, respiratory….basically anything to get away from nursing. I know I sound like I need career counseling but this whole career thing has been the biggest pain in my ***** my entire life. Ultimately I would like to focus on creating multiple streams of income and investments and not depend entirely on a job to provide. Any thoughts appreciated in advance.

Highlighted

im an LVN and im going back to school to get a degree in business administration. Everyone is telling me im crazy for not goin for my RN but my heart is just not in it anymore. i ve been doing this for 6 years and alot like you all, i feel unappreciated, burnt out, i mentally bring work home with me. family, friends keep saying all jobs are stressful and workplaces will always be toxic but like someone else stated, its not life or death you are playing with. they will never understand. i feel discouraged at times because i have no support in this career change, and it makes me not want to talk about it to anyone. im just glad im not the only one who feels this way. i know im only an lvn and most of you are RN's but reading this makes me feel like im not alone. i dont know what kind of help im looking for on here, just glad to know there are more people who feel the same as i do .

Monday Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

I have been in healthcare for 20 years, an RN for 5, and though there are moments that warm my heart, nursing is the worst job I have ever had, The only good thing is the salary, which is also the hole nurses get buried in,  I hate the unnecessary BS nurses have to tolerate on an almost daily basis, and wish I would have backed out once I had exposure during nursing school.  I kept thinking, "I'll find my place, and then I'll be okay."  This has never happened.  Nurses have too much physical and emotional burden for the job to be worth it.  I often say I have the best paying ********** job I have ever had.  If you can, back out. Do something else, be happy, and live a life that doesn't consist of stress, overwork, burnt out co-workers, and patients and families that will take their frustrations out on you.  It is just sad, disappointing, and unfortunately just the way it is. I wish you luck. 

Friday Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Whaaaooowww. I couldn't believe I came across this. I relocated from UK with 13yrs experience of nursing.(peadiatric) had its ups and downs. Relocated to Canada in the hope it would be much better. The fact that I have to do a conversion is so off putting and all cost an arm and a leg. I've honestly wanted a career change but my hubby always says am great at it and have had a massive impact on kids and saving their lives but honestly, I dont love it anymore and want a change. My challenge is I have 2 6yr old and child care is pretty steep, so am not flexible to work f/time but wld love a 2yr programme in something to do with advocating for children and their wellbeing. I've been so down and cant talk to my husband about it as his so engaged in his own achievement, I've become a stay home mum and its killing me. 

a week ago Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

Oh my lord....I thought I was the only nurse that felt this bad about my career as a nurse. I have been a nurse fifteen years and I have done every type of nursing there is except pediatrics and obstetrics. I even spent 10 years as a Captain in the Army Nurse Corp. I loved the Army Nursing but civilian nursing is hell on earth. I hated my job as a floor nurse and I still hate my job as a nurse. Not a lick of appreciation from the bosses or managers, patients, doctors, co-workers. You have your select few decent cooperative coworkers then the rest are back biting lazy workers. I worked my butt off. My patients were cared for as if they were my own family. We were always understaffed, had up to ten patients, and often times no STNAs. The work is back breaking. My own primary care doctor told me to get out of floor nursing asap before I end up on disability with a disc injury and in a wheelchair  from having to lift so many obese people without the proper help. I almost got fired for telling a young teenage girl on the wing absolutely do not go into nursing. I was trying to spare her the truth.  I was not going to lie to her. This job does not pay even close to what we have to do and put up with. It isn't worth being miserable and exhausted and possibly disabled.  Get out if you can. I am dead serious. Life is too short to not to what you love. I wish I had picked something else. I am still paying off a portion of my student loans. I am now working remote as a Legal Nurse Analyst. This is the best job yet. Google remote nursing and find a stay at home job and get off the floor. Stop having to mess with mean unappreciative people. The pay is just as good. 

2 weeks ago Solution by original poster
Highlighted

I can categorically say that in my 20 odd years of nursing I could not wait to leave. Constantly changing jobs as the grass was supposed to be greener. 

I eventually left completely in Jan 2020.I have not revalidated and it feels marvellous. If I needed to work again I would change direction completely, or at the least become a support worker. 

Life's too short to be miserable in a job you hate. 

I

2 weeks ago Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Hello, I am almost done with my Nursing prerequisites and doing these online made me realize how hard this stuff is. I’m still VERY interested in medical and health and thought about health administration or something. I’m glad I’m not the only one and I thought Nursing was always on my heart, but sometimes you grow up and realize there’s so many other options i. The health field that help people in offering ways. 

Sep 23, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

I am the same way! my mom was a nurse so I thought, "I should just be a nurse too." Went to nursing school, hated it, hated my clinicals, questioned everything, but I was getting amazing grades, got great feedback from my clinical instructors, and thought maybe it was just nursing school I didn't like. Welp, now two years into my career I still HATE it. I want nothing to do with nursing. it is like pulling teeth getting myself to work everyday. I still do a great job and I always get compliments from my managers, coworkers, and patients, but my heart is just not in it. But don't feel bad, nursing is not for everyone. I can think of a TON of my friends who would suck at being a nurse and hate it. I have explored all my options. I applied for PA school, realized I didnt want to do that either and I was forcing myself to take that next step thinking I would like that. Then I started researching medical device companies. I found that positions there are still very interactive, on your feet, and you can make a lot of money. So I applied, interviewed, and now I have two offers at Stryker! It will be very different but I am very excited and there is a ton of opportunity to grow at big companies like this. You have a ton of options, even in the business world. just do your research! 

Sep 6, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Have you looked into options to work in clinical research or other tracks like PA school in California...? This might be a good option? if you are interested in the complimentary therapies side of healthcare there is also osteopathy school, acupuncture, and massage, there are often clinical research options that could use your science background?

Good luck keep up the positive attitude!

Sep 5, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

Marshall, I know you mean well but nursing is nothing like IT. You sound like a friend of mine who is a bartender and said to me, “I think I’m going to be a nurse. It’s really no different than bar tending or serving. People yell at me all the time.” Are you kidding me?? Does anyone DIE if their computer isn’t fixed immediately? Does anyone DIE if they’re nachos aren’t hot? Or if their drink isn’t mixed to their liking?? Are there permanent repercussions from this? It isn’t the being yelled at or “serving”. I actually enjoy taking care of people. It’s having everyone come at you from all angles at all times. I’m suppose to give the best care while being short staffed- care for a trauma patient while my other rooms are receiving chest pains or another critical; no one is watching my other rooms because they’re all drowning, and when I finally come out of a room to chart, explain to family, offer emotional support, play catch up on EVERYTHING, my manager is standing there asking if I wrote my name on my whiteboard today and telling me it’s time for Gemba rounds. Do you think I really care about Gemba rounds? Or my name on some pointless white board??? If I have to choose between giving good care to a human being or being a “yes ma’am’er, I’ll choose good care every time. Thing is-this isn’t enough in the world of health care anymore. To those of you reading this and still considering going into nursing, don’t. If you have hesitations get out while you can

Aug 30, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

Thank you for sharing. I am also around the same age. I currently work in HR and I was considering switching to nursing. I was looking into programs at NYU, etc. Do you mind sharing more about your experiences - nursing school, work life balance, work environment? I enjoy helping people, which is why I originally pursued HR. I have been doing extensive research on nursing, but I am not sure if it will be a good fit. I appreciate your help! 

Aug 12, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Me too! I've been a RN/NP for 26 yrs and an NP for the last 17 years. I've known for a long time that I didn't enjoy it and have wanted to get out. I've tried reaching and various settings to see if I'd find joy in it. Still can't seem to 'settle in'. With each passing year it becomes harder to get out and reinvent myself. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up either. Glad to hear that others feel the same way. 

Aug 10, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

No one goes to work and not look for a paycheck.  That is why they call it "work".  We all need to eat and have a roof over our heads.  When they start paying a living wage to all jobs...then we can say, dont need you looking at work for a paycheck".  It is like telling her to not think about eating even if you are hungry....geez.

Highlighted

@Doesam1 , have to see the business side of why they do this.  If one has been a nurse for 30 years we have seen pay go up very little, some holiday days extra pay be taken away, sick banks taken away, PTO hours earned reduced, 401k match reduced and we are most likely making quite a bit more than those new nurses who want a job badly when they get out of school to pay off those loans. Those new nurses have no idea what nurses had 30 years ago and we do.  Nothing better than to get rid of high cost pay nurses for new nurses who just want a job and someone who will train them.  They love have no gripes about pay or benefits because they know nothing different than what they are offered now.  Does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what nurse is best to hire.  

Highlighted

@Mammerman1 , I hear ya.  They now lump RNs with LVNs, CNAs, techs and all patient care folks now with the title of "caregiver",  RNs are now a inity of their own anymore.  It is caregivers and physicians that work in hospitals.  Not to frown on others but RNs should keep their stand alone title just like doctors do.

Aug 9, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

I have been an RN for 25 years.  I have done hospital nursing and clinic nursing.  I have known for years that this was not the career for me and have quit several jobs only to move onto another one I dislike.   I just quit my most recent job ans i am unsure what i will do next but I am sure I am done with nursing.  I will take a big pay cut but maybe i won’t be miserable at my job.   

Jul 22, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

If you you do not like it as a student then get out. However, if you are just having stress over nursing school, I say stick it out. I have been a nurse for over 30 years. I have wanted to get out of it almost since  I graduated. Now I have a masters degree in it and I teach it. It is a great means of support. I have never been involuntarily unemployed for more than 1 month. 

Jul 22, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

I agree 100%!!! I'm a registered nurse who has been practicing for 36 years.  Healthcare has become more like an assembly line process- Henry Ford would be proud. No longer can we spend quality time with our patients.  Just "checking boxes" and meeting administrators' demands for hospital systems to "look good" and make their profits, even though they claim to be "not for profit" organizations.  And Magnet Status is just another way for the money to pour in.  I too have been thinking of a career change, but haven't yet been able to take the leap.  I find myself intimidated by on-line college and not wanting to have debt at my age. To those of you looking to make a change- Good luck!!!

Jul 10, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

I still work in healthcare, but I no longer work as a nurse.  I think people look at me, and think "you worked so hard to get a nursing degree".  I made money, but not enough to compensation in relation to how hard I was working.  I couldn't believe that I worked so hard in school, just to go through this.  I guess it just wasn't for me.  I am working on a tech career now.

Jul 3, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Omg SAME!! I am 23 and just got my first job as a nurse in a hospital and it’s kicking my ass. We don’t have techs on our floor or CNA’s and we get up to 6 patients at once. 

Nursing isn’t really what I thought it would be. Atleast on my floor, it just feels like a constant drug exchange, patients expecting Dilaudid and Morphine ON THE DOT when it’s due- and every patient is due at the same time. 

Jun 30, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Hello there!

I'm in the similar path, except I'm still doing pre-nursing courses and expect to finish this coming fall! I realize my passion for nursing is slowly fading in me, I still enjoy working as a Medical Assistant for right now but Nursing is not what I want in the long term. I regret for not exploring other majors and chosen nursing for what it is. I do love to help people but there are many other ways of doing so. 

I was also afraid to restart and make changes, so I did tons of research to other majors that somehow cope with the Science courses I have taken. I recently have interested for Food Science, Biological Science-Microbiology concentration and Public Health. I'm in California if that helps. The classes are somehow comparable with my previous courses. There are alternatives, you just have to look hard! And if you want to start in something else different, talk to major advisor first! It's never too late to make changes. You can do it. 

Jun 22, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Hi @AAA18, and everyone on this thread who has similar feelings. 

To echo KiraAtIndeed, changing careers can be really challenging but believe it or not, you have already taken the first step - acknowledging you want change. 

I found this article that talks about career opportunities for Nursing degrees. Maybe there are other jobs within healthcare that you're interested in. I understand you're trying to step away from healthcare, but sometimes a transition period will be required. For example, gaining experience in Healthcare coordination or administration could give you a segway into a similar position outside of healthcare. 

From my experience as a recruiter, writing a resume to support a career change can be difficult but there are lots of resources to help with this. I'm going to share some articles that breakdown key aspects of resume writing that may help as you apply for jobs outside of your area of expertise. Additionally, Indeed offers an inexpensive Personalized Resume Review service. They will send you a ~10-minute video created specifically with your resume on suggestions of changes to make that show you how to write about your experiences to reflect your target jobs. If you're interested, you can access this resource here: resume-review.indeed.com?collectorID=paIndeedCommunity

5 Steps for Updating Your Resume for a Career Change

10 Resume Writing Tips to Help You Land the Job

How to Create an ATS Friendly Resume

I hope that this helps, and let us know if you have any more questions!

This information is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only. We are not career or legal advisors and do not guarantee job interviews or offers.
Jun 16, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

Wow, I feel like I typed this! I'm in the EXACT same situation to a T. I'm also 24 years old working as a nurse on a surgical floor for a year now and I'm miserable. My mother and other family members are nurses and that was what kept me going to even finish nursing school despites my doubts. I always felt lost and miserable during clinicals/classes, and thought it would get better with time. That I would grow to love it. I always loved helping people and promoting health and wellness, but the reality of the modern-day med-surg nurse is wreaking havoc on my mental health. 

Part of me regrets not picking another major but the past is the past. Fear and doubt is something I'm also dealing with rn, especially when you don't really know whats next and we're also in the middle of a pandemic lol. 

It really is never too late, we're both young and the sky is the limit. I really resonate with what you're feeling and I hope we can find the courage to seek new oppurtunities to create a career and life we're passionate about. 

May 25, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Hi,

I find myself in the exact same situation as you. I have since left nursing (now working in an office- it's not my dream job, but my confidence has been so knocked the past year, I don't know what to do). I still have my family asking when I will go back to nursing and even the word nurse just makes my stomach turn. 

I really hope you find a new career that you love.

May 25, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Hi @FindingMe, @mc0516

Thank you for reaching out. I know that thinking about making a career change can be a scary thing but believe me, you are not alone! One thing I would recommend is to first figure out what types of jobs you may be interested in. Please take a look at this article, it may be able to give you some guidance as to how to find the best jobs for you.

Once you are able to find which jobs you may be interested in, please take a look at this article. This may help guide you in the job search process.

Hope this helps!

This information is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only. We are not career or legal advisors and do not guarantee job interviews or offers.
Apr 23, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Hi FindingMe, your feelings are right on. I'm 24 and have been a nurse for a year now and I hate it. Even though people tell me I'm doing a great job, and patients tell me I've been so good to them (and I feel happy/rewarded), at the end of the day I just feel miserable! I never really wanted to be a nurse, I was just a high school graduate who didn't explore her options when picking a major. Even in clinicals I hated it. But with high expectations from my parents who are both nurses, and the expectation of being the first child to graduate among my siblings, the pressure was high and I pushed on. Now almost a year in I want out so bad. I've looked for other nursing jobs and nothing interest me. But even when looking for a job I'm always rejected. They say that the need for nurses is high, but the only places that will hire are those with high turnovers. Sigh. I'm tired of being in healthcare. I always feel like it's never too late to do something you want but fear and doubt seems to hold me back.

Apr 21, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted