Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are most staffing agencies liars?

I responded to ads for FT permanent positions. Those ads were put up by staffing agencies. I ended up meeting with about six staffing agencies and they did get me some interviews and work. However, I told them upfront that I am only interested in FT permanent or temp-to-hire work. Sure, I'll take a temp gig but I will not stop looking for something permanent and I will miss work if I need to go on an interview for something better. The staffing agencies told me they understood and would only consider me for permanent or temp-to-hire positions. I've been to six interviews and got two job offers. All the positions were temp jobs. I contacted the staffing agencies and they all claimed they thought those positions were permanent. I was livid because I turned down permanent job offers from companies for temp jobs!

I became a little suspicious because they asked me how I found out that those positions were temp. I told them that I asked either the company's HR or the employee who I was replacing. They told me to stop doing that and forward those types of questions to the agency. Well, if I did that then I would still be turning down better offers and not looking for better jobs. What really got me suspicious was when a staffing recruiter asked me to come in for an interview and I bluntly asked him if the job that I applied to was still open. He told me there was no job and that he just posted a fake ad to collect a pool of resumes. Like I am going to miss three hours of work (unpaid because I am a temp because the staffing agency lied and withheld information from me) to chase a phantom job?
Highlighted
I responded to ads for FT permanent positions. Those ads were put up by staffing agencies. I ended up meeting with about six staffing agencies and they did get me some interviews and work. However, I told them upfront that I am only interested in FT permanent or temp-to-hire work. Sure, I'll take a temp gig but I will not stop looking for something permanent and I will miss work if I need to go on an interview for something better. The staffing agencies told me they understood and would only consider me for permanent or temp-to-hire positions. I've been to six interviews and got two job offers. All the positions were temp jobs. I contacted the staffing agencies and they all claimed they thought those positions were permanent. I was livid because I turned down permanent job offers from companies for temp jobs!

I became a little suspicious because they asked me how I found out that those positions were temp. I told them that I asked either the company's HR or the employee who I was replacing. They told me to stop doing that and forward those types of questions to the agency. Well, if I did that then I would still be turning down better offers and not looking for better jobs. What really got me suspicious was when a staffing recruiter asked me to come in for an interview and I bluntly asked him if the job that I applied to was still open. He told me there was no job and that he just posted a fake ad to collect a pool of resumes. Like I am going to miss three hours of work (unpaid because I am a temp because the staffing agency lied and withheld information from me) to chase a phantom job?
Nov 14, 2015 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Highlighted
The primary goal of any staffing agency is getting people into their system so they can submit those people for jobs. I once walked out of an agency who got me to come in to talk about a job, but when I got there that "job" had been "filled."

99% of the time when I apply for a job that's listed through a staffing agency, I never hear anything back.

I don't think all staffing agencies lie, but I've never had a good experience with them, either. I'll still apply to jobs through agencies (because my industry often uses them), but I never expect anything to come of it. Applications made directly to an employer through their own website or through something like Indeed are the way to go.
Highlighted
And yet, even jobs posted on a company website can be a "mirage". (Not intended to be filled by an "outsider".) That's because they're only doing it to "give everyone a (supposedly) fair opportunity". My local bank has a 'now hiring' sign in their window, even though the mgr told me they're promoting from within. Someone here posted something about it "being a law" that they HAVE to (so-to-speak) "broadcast it to the public", in case someone more qualified applies. Pfft, imo that's just lieing to the public about a position they're only going to fill from the inside anyway.
Highlighted
I haven't read anyone's post - too lazy -

But, to answer the question, "Are most staff agen LIARS?

Personally, I think most play games to different degrees.

One time an agency posted a job but gave the wrong town. It actually was the town next to it. They didn't want the job seeker to find out the client's name I guess. Small lie but nevertheless a lie.

I think staffing agencies thinking is, "Most job seekers are liar's themselves so we, the staffing agency, will lie whenever it's best for us. Where's Linda in Detroit, let's ask her!
Highlighted
Highlighted
Of course they want you to stop speaking to the companies without them. That makes you more knowledgeable, and thus less likely for the staffing agency to string you along.

Yes, they're liars. Some temp agencies will actually scour the job boards for ads, then make a fake ad pretending to be from the company to get you to apply to them instead. The temp agency will then call up the company and try to sell you to them. Mind you, the original position could have offered more money than what would be given to you after the actual company has to split your paycheck with the temp agency.
Nov 15, 2015 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
I had one that tried a "bait and switch" on me. It said Entry Level PHP on the thing on Indeed, yet, when they called me and offered me something, the email was an entirely DIFFERENT position!!! I contacted them and they said "We are a staffing agency....." and something. Didn't contact them again.
Nov 16, 2015 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I think if you have a bad attitude towards staffing agencies you are doing yourself a disservice. A lot of temp jobs, if you are good at what you do, turn into full time permanent jobs. My very first one out of university was just exactly that... a rush "the person hired just went back to her old job and we need someone to fill in while we look" role. It was a two week position, but they kept me one.

Staffing agencies do, quite often, place ads for positions that do not exist. They do this for a couple reasons... one they have subscriptions and have prepaid for the space anyway and two they do want to keep a pool of qualified applicants. They do not, and cannot, place every candidate - and you need to keep in contact with them. You are the one looking for the job. The onus is on you.

While these days temp agencies very rarely find me work before I do, when I was entry level they were invaluable - both for experience and for work. Even now, they are great to bounce ideas off. I tend to be more honest with them... and get more honesty back from them and get better reviews about what I can do better than I ever would from a real employer.

And I'm not sure why anyone would turn down a real job on a hope of a possible job.
Nov 17, 2015 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Problem with agencies is that most of these recruiters are young and inexperience and don't have great social skills so it's easier and faster for them to not tell the truth in hopes that you just go away. Once you accept this it's easier to deal with them.

But personally I would only use them a little here and there.
Highlighted
There are great agencies... and there are not so great ones. I have found you can have a real conversation with the recruiters and they generally give me the real deal on the position. There are a couple of local agencies that only work with companies their candidates will be happy with. And I don't blame them. Crappy companies are a lot of work... for very little reward, so if you have built your reputation, it is far easier to deal with the great ones.

For me, because it takes me no time to find work myself, really the major benefit to them is if I'm in no particular hurry, but ready for my next opportunity.

When I was first breaking into my field, I found them very useful because I was horrible at interviews. I knew I could do the work... I just didn't know how to communicate it. Agencies were great, because if you are inexperienced, they will test your knowledge and put you to work based on that.
Highlighted
Like many people on this thread I'm so tired of Robert Half, Windsor Staffing and other employment agencies who continue to lie over and over again to candidates about non-existent job opportunities. Many of us job-seekers have financial obligations and mouths to feed and do not appreciate our time wasted at meetings for job-opportunites that don't exist. Contrary to your beliefs, our time is money and we don't like it wasted on senseless meetings to increase your candidate pool or for you to pitch new business to our references after we leave.

Furthermore, employment agencies, if a position is a longterm temp role do not present it as a temp-to-perm role. Be honest
financial decisions for ourselves and our families. Please stop being shady and giving people false hope.
Jul 16, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Like many people on this thread I'm so tired of Robert Half, Windsor Staffing and other employment agencies who continue to lie over and over again to candidates about non-existent job opportunities. Many of us job-seekers have financial obligations and mouths to feed and do not appreciate our time being wasted at meetings for job-opportunites that don't exist. Contrary to your belief, our time is money and we don't like it wasted on senseless meetings to increase your candidate pool or for you to pitch new business to our references after we leave.

Furthermore, employment agencies, if a position is a longterm temp role do not present it as a temp-to-perm role. Be honest so that we can make the best financial decisions for ourselves and our families. Please stop being shady and giving people false hope.
Jul 16, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Staffing agencies make more money off of temp placement (constant revenue stream) vs permenant placement. Not to say that they don't do permanent placement. The agencies have to lie because otherwise they would not place candidates and all they care about is the client not the candidate.
Jul 17, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
A temp agency in my area has a Cash Grab Machine (where the money is blown in a glass container) if you go and interview them lol. I can't stop laughing :"D

Yes, that is what they are resorting to and not for lack of jobs but probably because people have found out what the repercussions of taking on a temp job are (most hiring managers will question why you weren't hired on by the company) or have realized you will never get a permanent job with benefits.
Jul 19, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
While temp agencies aren't what they were before the early two-thousands, even the ones in rural towns usually have decent paying contracts with local manufacturers and offices. The really good clerical and IT stuff is only around major metros.

Actually getting them to give one of those contracts has the same prerequisites as getting on at a company directly. If you go in their with a laid back or negative attitude or you don't have the "look" they like you won't get anything.

If they don't like you or if you don't look highly obedient you're going to be walking out of their with nothing..
Highlighted
There are plenty of people, usually in management, who have a negative attitude. However, they command respect. either because they are competent and intimidating. There are non-managerial employees who get away with having a bad attitude because they have people who like them. I'm not sure what you mean by laid-back, you mean constantly trying to look like you're busy---you're constantly in school, you have three part-time jobs and you volunteer?
Highlighted
I'm also tired of being lied to about positions. I have tried Robert Half and they never get back to you or if they do they say they have no positions despite the numerous job posting on their website. I have also tried Ajilon and Aerotek. Ajilon seems to be getting like Robert Half since they call me for jobs for a position I had at another staffing agency and I never hear back when I ask about other open positions. Aerotek never gets back to me. People wouldn't be looking for work if we didn't need it. It's really unprofessional to tell people you will get back to them if you have no intention on doing it. Stop lying to people about jobs that you don't have available.
Sep 5, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Although I do work for a staffing agency, and have worked with many in the past, I too have had personal employment issues with agencies. The place I'm at now, you would never know it's a staffing firm because the culture is the best job I've ever been in and I've never truly worked with people who care so much about getting the right fit. I am  a director in another department but of course I see and talk to the recruiters everyday. However, they are definitely the exception to the rule! I've word twist recruitment and staffing agencies in the past where they only cared about Warm Bodies so obviously I did not stay long. I've also been on the other side where recruiter would tell me that they had a contract that they didn't actually have and they were using me as bait to try to get a new client! Unfortunately, just like in almost every other field, there are those bad apples but you can definitely take care and ask a lot of questions. We encourage every candidate to ask the hiring managers absolutely anything and everything because are recruiters want to find the best fit. I mean, every business is in business to make money and an agency is no different but ask a lot of questions and if they do not want you or are not transparent with you- then run away! It's not worth it for those that aren't upfront and have your interests are heart!

Feb 27, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Experiences that I've had, I would tend to agree but because I've been on both sides, working for a staffing agency and finding long-term positions that I loved through a staffing agency, you have to remember that it really just depends on the agency. Also, I know from experience that a lot of great employers choose to only use agencies because they don't have the bandwidth or the time to recruit, such as Ford, big health care agencies and more. Just be sure to ask a lot of questions and demand transparency! Because there are amazing places out there and, although every business is in business to make money, you can immediately tell when walking in if a recruiter truly cares about you.

Highlighted

I'm sorry you had so many bad experiences! Although I am no longer a recruiter, I used to be and I worked with many agencies and I also found long-term HR work through agencies. So I've been on both sides. One job I started out as a two-week temp with the possibility of long-term and I stay there for 7 years with for promotions! It really just depends on the agency but I do believe that a recruitment firm that actually cares is the exception. Every business is in business to make money but the place I work for now is better than any other place I've worked, hands down, because they truly care and it's not just a job for them people they recruiters at my agency have been in the field for 16 years in some cases and they don't mess around. Transparency, accountability and information. They encourage their applicants to ask every question to the hiring manager because you want to find the right fit the first time. Now, even me personally has been a victim of recruiter is using my resume as bait for clients they don't have and I know how frustrating that is! I just encourage you to ask questions and you'll know almost immediately if the recruiter truly cares because it will be completely obvious. Otherwise, if anything is Shady, walk away quick! But I just wanted to comment because I have personally had amazing experiences on the employee side of recruitment agencies and then I just finally found this one agency that happens to be the best employer ever!

Highlighted

i agree, i stay away from staffing agencies now completely and i always advice others to stay away, its also the other side of life for us wanting full time jobs ie permament jobs, which now has been abused also like most other things theses days, reason being who do i pay my bills when once again they finish my work, how do i buy food or pay electric how do i keep creditors happy this and all other areas of life goverments and staffing agencies never ever ever talk about , most are really struggling to pay bills because you agencies are actually just sale people that is excactly what you are, you gather as must cv,s and personal data to pass on to upper office to meet your monthly targets and bonuses and it gets stored on some hard drive some where on a server, have you not given thought as to why the sign up process is so easy, they making sure they get as many through the office doors as quickly and as much as possible, in order to get there bonuses. Most times it,s glorified promises of you can get a full time job with these people, but hey there magic wand comes out and after 6-8-12 weeks you are laid off again, its all smoke screen and mirrors with these staffing agencies, they abuse the emloyment of people for there selfish gains or money and bonuses.

this is not insulting this is the truth , some thing modern day people are to afraid to say or carry out, for the sake of all things good. Everyone knows don,t trust a sales person they will tell you anything to get a sale or bonus, that is a given.

think sales people, think red flags, think what are they not telling you about the sale or work they are offering you, its time i think they should be made to be more transparent fully as they are acting like mps , cashing in on the jobs.

things have to change.

more and more people are walking away from staffing agencies as they have been found out to be bad people, and a lot of just little kids telling grown adults what to do or talking down to them, i don,t think so.

Mar 14, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Hi @bobby123456 ,

I can understand your frustrations if you are getting someone to tell you that they promise to give you full time hire but then don't do it. However, I've actually found that most staffing agencies do help you get into the company. Larger corporations especially utilize staffing agencies. And when trying to get in via application sometimes you get lost, but when you partner efforts with a staffing agency they can get your foot in the door. Just like any profession, there are some recruiters that are full of integrity and some not... But similar to any other business you have to weed out the good ones. Here's how you can tell if a staffing agency is on the up and up.

1. They don't ask for money upfront.

2. They never PROMISE full time job status. (Instead they may say this is a potential contract to hire role only depending upon the company's interest to move forward with you after the 3rd month)

3. They have classes/assessments to help you become better within your current skill sets

4. They never promise a raise.

5. They follow up on your questions and concerns.

Ultimately, no company is human free or error free. So things may slide through the gaps, but be sure to be vocal on your experience with upper management.

Hope this gives you a different outlook.

Wishing you the absolute best,

Monique Davis, Job Search Guide

Mar 14, 2020 Solution by original poster