Why is this company so slow with hiring process, is it a bad sign (entry level). They think in weeks rather than days

I sent my resume and they replied 20 days later saying that they liked my resume but my application was not complete (my bad) so I re applied and they scheduled an interview after a week (so 1 month after the resume was sent). They said they were conducting interviews on 5 days and I think there was 1 interviewee per day (in total 5).

The interviewer was so impressed she called other team members and the interview lasted 2 hours rather than 40 minutes. The CEO also gave me assignments and we talked over the phone. He told me they decided they would call me back and after 3 days I got a mail with only one time slot a WEEK after and an alternative 2 weeks after.

The second interview was only 40 mins and with one team member that asked only about my job search, personalities for 10 minutes and then let me ask questions for the rest of the time. She said they would make a decision in a couple of days (so basically before thanksgiving)

I also sent a thank you note and they always replied saying they will keep in touch on next steps.

I am concerned because it's taking so long and, in my opinion, they should know straight away who they want to hire. On the other hand they said they need to have a meeting all the time they make any decision so it takes time, but it is weird. They think in "weeks" rather than "days". WHY?

They is no HR, so everything is handled by the upper management. They are extremely slow and seems like they have no rush. This is a new position coz nobody was fired.
Highlighted
I sent my resume and they replied 20 days later saying that they liked my resume but my application was not complete (my bad) so I re applied and they scheduled an interview after a week (so 1 month after the resume was sent). They said they were conducting interviews on 5 days and I think there was 1 interviewee per day (in total 5).

The interviewer was so impressed she called other team members and the interview lasted 2 hours rather than 40 minutes. The CEO also gave me assignments and we talked over the phone. He told me they decided they would call me back and after 3 days I got a mail with only one time slot a WEEK after and an alternative 2 weeks after.

The second interview was only 40 mins and with one team member that asked only about my job search, personalities for 10 minutes and then let me ask questions for the rest of the time. She said they would make a decision in a couple of days (so basically before thanksgiving)

I also sent a thank you note and they always replied saying they will keep in touch on next steps.

I am concerned because it's taking so long and, in my opinion, they should know straight away who they want to hire. On the other hand they said they need to have a meeting all the time they make any decision so it takes time, but it is weird. They think in "weeks" rather than "days". WHY?

They is no HR, so everything is handled by the upper management. They are extremely slow and seems like they have no rush. This is a new position coz nobody was fired.
Highlighted

Highlighted
Highlighted
You have to understand it is hard to schedule the management ppl together for an interview. listen I applied back on October 7th. I went for an interview on October 31st. They called me for reference the next day Nov 1. I gave them two references and then 1.5 weeks later they want a third reference. I didn't get the job offer till last Thursday pretty much at the end of the day. I accepted the job and the admin contact HR to give me offer letter this Monday. I didn't get the offer letter till today. I am supposed to give two weeks notice to resign to start on Dec 2nd. Today I gave the notice to my boss since I got the offer letter today so I ended up giving my boss less than 2 weeks notice (last day is next friday).This is a big company so it is understandable. In your situation the management have to handle everything on their own so they probably need time to figure out salary etc.
Highlighted
What people need to remember in a job search - the people you are speaking with are employed to do a job. Hiring a position may not be number 1 on their to do list. In reality, it's not even in their too 25 most of the time. You cannot expect a company to move at your pace. Even if they say a week, don't expect it. Too many other things will pop up in that time frame and you will be the easy task to push back a day or two.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
That actually seems speedy. I mean... I applied for a certified tech position with Staples (low pay, specific work, sales, etc) and it took more than a month to hear back from them. I filled out the application online, and attached a copy of my resume to it. 34 days was how long it took before I heard from them. They scheduled an interview for 6 days later. I did extremely well at the interview, and had NO COMPETITION for the position. There was no one else being interviewed for the same spot.

Two weeks after the interview I still hadn't heard back. I called, and was told that they were pushing to get me in past a "flag" in my background check. I started with them a week after that.

So... two months from application to first day.
Highlighted
Your timeline isn't their timeline.

In my experience, even with an expedited screening and interviewing process, the jump from consideration to decision is often much longer than the hiring company intends.

My most recent gig had such an expedited screening process, there was a phone interview scheduled within hours of submitting my resume on a Friday afternoon. The hiring manager explicitly asked if I could start immediate (short term project half-way through). It still took a week to get a start date.
Highlighted
I don't think it should ever be acceptable to take longer than 14 days to hire someone. No matter what the process is. Unless you are working for some secret agency, it shows major inconsideration and lack of respect for applicant's time, not to mention peace of mind. If the process is taking longer than usual, then an update as to what's going on should be given. The burden is always on the job seeker to have proper etiquette, yet none is encouraged to come from the employer during the hiring process. As usual, NOTHING takes longer than is stated. People are just generally inconsiderate, disrespectful, and self important until they want something from you, then all of a sudden they are nice and timely. Human Resources has to do better. Maybe things just need to go back to the main hiring manager, just saying, "Hey, you have everything we are looking for. Welcome! You start on Monday and we will finish up the paper work then." The world was working just fine with that process and now its its all screwed up and fine candidates are being passed over. Sometimes you can just do waaaaayyyyy too much and end up doing nothing at all.
Highlighted
I applied on may for Oracle office in Columbia MD and I was interviewed twice. one on site one over the phone and of course there was first recruiter interview then the manager and then the director of the group. At the end of the June i got the offer but my offer needs to get approved from the VP of the. and now it is August I am still waiting for the approval of my offer. This is really time consuming process, they should make the offer after it get approved. I feel like my file was never sent to the people who approve.
Highlighted
Highlighted

I am an employer. The old adage ALWAYS works in our favor: Hire slowly, Fire Quickly. This is California. You can't ask important questions (why were you fired from your last job? “Oh, because you groped a colleague when you were high on meth”. Or, “because you stole $3000 out of petty cash”. “Because you lost 3 laptops in the local pub in your first 3 months).

7 years ago, we hired an (unknown to us) very addicted stoner (with a medical marijuana card), and every day after lunch, he came in stoned, and freaked out our Office Manager so bad she threatened to quit. Then he lifted our purchasing department’s credit card number and bought himself a few TV's for his new home. Knowing he’d get caught, he resigned, submitting a letter. Then he sued us for making his work-life uncomfortable for him. In court, he lied about stuff that never happened in this peaceful and friendly office. Minutes before the trial, he STOLE his resignation letter from the evidence pile, and the judge watched him fold it up and put it in his pocket. He was stoned in the courtroom. Two weeks later we found out that he won.

So you better believe an employer is going to go slowly; because of all the protected **********s and dirtbags who lie on their resumes, cover up their illegal work behavior, submit FAKE resumes, Submit FAKE reference letters, and then, after all that, they STILL can win in a California labor court.

Anyway......that was 1 person in 20 years of hiring....quite a learning lesson! 

Instead of California companies being protected from very bad employees, bad employees can abuse California companies. And that, my friend, is a common reason why employers don’t hire quickly. Slowing the process down tells an employer: 1. You are serious about the job, and not just sniffing around (Millenials, you waste so much of an employer’s time sniffing around) 2. You are not a fly-by-night dirtbag. 3. You are not a job hopper. 4. You have capital behind you, a strong friends and family network to support you in tough times. 5. You really know what you want (that opportunity!). 6. You have no mental illness (seriously...like you’d disappear in a few weeks with depression or some bizarre episode). 7. That there is no warrant out of your arrest. 8. That you will remember that you applied for the job in the first place. (....do you know how many candidates from Indeed have no idea they applied?). Maybe, when you interview, you can remember 1-8 and discuss those point. 

Feb 10, 2020 Solution
Highlighted

from the Hustle 2/13/2020

One retailer wants to bring in more workers -- by asking them less

Some job seekers struggle to find work because of questions about their past, a big gap on a résumé, or even a criminal record.
What if companies recruited differently? What if they got rid of some of the harder questions, and gave applicants a chance to break out of the cycle of struggle?
It’s called open hiring -- and The Body Shop is all in
Here’s how it works: No background checks. Just answer a few questions -- are you authorized to work in the US? Can you meet the job’s physical demands? -- and you’re in.
The cosmetics company tried it with seasonal workers at a North Carolina distribution center. The Body Shop wants to expand the practice to all of its retail stores this summer.
The early results were impressive:
• The company got the holiday-season staffing it needed.
• Monthly turnover fell by 60%.
• Productivity increased.
And it all started with some brownies
The Body Shop got guidance from New York’s Greyston Bakery. Founded in 1982 under the Buddhist principle of non-judgment, it hires workers who meet basic criteria on a first-come, first-serve basis as positions open.
It’s possible you’ve tasted Greyston’s goodies. Whole Foods and Wegmans have sold its brownies, and Ben and Jerry’s mixes them into its Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream.
Greyston’s Center for Open Hiring helps businesses that want to open doors -- and floors -- to workers who have previously been shut out.
Lowering barriers can be good business
Hiring practices that exclude people with criminal records keep lots of people out of a job.
• 30% of US adults have a criminal record, defined by the FBI as an arrest on a felony charge.
• Of these 70m people, ¾ won’t be convicted.
And research shows their exclusion is costly.
• One study found that employers who stopped asking about criminal activity experienced less turnover.
• It costs $3.5k+ to replace an $11/hour worker.
• Money saved on recruiting can go toward benefits and other employee-retaining perks.

Feb 13, 2020 Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Ok employers have to be very careful but they are careful because they have a job already. They don't think about the poor guy whose house is getting ready to be foreclosed and has a wife and kids to feed. Oh yeah it's all about the company. They don't think about the poor guy who stayed up all night long studying fro the interview and who is now sitting at the edge of his bed biting his finger nails to nub. It's all about the company now pass me a doughnut. 

Feb 20, 2020 Solution
Highlighted

This has been an interesting thread to read and even more so as it provides the perspective of both the applicant and an employer, and let's face it there is much confusion surrounding the 'process'.  I recently read an article that stated it takes on average 25 days for the process.  And in general the process looks a little like this (there are variations of course from company to company - but, when I was in the hiring position, it looked like this):

Depending upon the schedule and the number of candidates, this part alone takes time. Even if an employer wants to hire you, he or she may have to run a variety of checks first (background and often credit and references).  Then there's the HR department that needs to be brought into the process, not to mention last minute internal issues that can and often do arise (such as budget, department change or internal restructure).  Then there is the overall workload of the individuals involved, remember this is not their only item they are dealing with (as frustrating as that is for a job applicant to hear). 

So what should you (the applicant) do while you are waiting for word?  Best advice is to keep applying and interviewing for other positions - as much as you think the job is your dream one, anything can happen at any step in the process after the interview.  Also, decide on how you want to follow up with the company.  If you have not already done so (directly after the interview) send a thank you note or an email to the person(s) who interviewed you.  After waiting 10-14 days and you still have not heard from them, you can follow up.  Make sure the follow up call is a productive one and not just asking if they have made a decision.  You might try to elaborate on something that you discussed, or had on your resume/CV, or even just to reiterate why you would be the best fit for the position and value you will bring. 

If that doesn't work, I do like the suggestion someone wrote in the thread about bringing a box of doughnuts!!!!  

I look forward to others adding their experiences to this thread. 

Feb 20, 2020 Solution