ForumTopicPage
Indeed Community

Why so difficult to get a new job in Seattle?

I've been able to land a group in-person interview, and phone interviews (which go well), but they always say they ended up going with an internal candidate or referral. Is this how Seattle works (or the entire Pacific Northwest), you have to know someone inside? I have a Master's degree and sought after /valuable Technology and Business skills. I have never had trouble finding new positions in other places like Los Angeles.

You're not alone. I took the plunge and moved to Seattle without a job almost a year ago. I've sent out over 200 applications and have secured nothing full-time, except for a couple temp assignments. I have a bachelor's degree from a top school in my field, and have worked with fortune 500 companies in New York and Chicago.

I find it very odd that in every single interview I attended, I was asked why I moved to Seattle. I have never been asked this in any of my interviews in New York or Chicago, because it is completely irrelevant to one's ability to perform a job. One company even told me in my rejection email that they were moving forward with a more "local" candidate. While working as a temp, almost all my co-workers were from Washington state, and the majority of them went to community college here or UW. There is definitely a bias here towards "keeping it in the family", and most companies here would rather hire a less qualified individual who's lived in Washington all their life, as opposed to a transplant who brings a top tier education and work experience to the table.

If I were you I would stick to more cosmopolitan and forward-thinking cities like San Francisco, LA, Chicago, New York. I've heard Portland is worse than Seattle. The Pacific Northwest seems to be very anti-transplant and they like to keep their market and industry as insular and homogeneous as possible even though they try to project otherwise.

I share the same sentiment and relieved I'm not the only one feeling like this. I'm smart, well spoken and highly qualified yet I'm finding myself unemployable in Seattle and on my 5th month looking! Eek!

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting interviews but one of two things happen... they've selected another candidate or the salary range is way below my salary expectations.

On top of that, it's been the rainiest season in 122 years. If you haven't already moved here, don't come.

I would say to move out as soon as you can. I moved out 5 months ago for a job in San Francisco. I applied for a month there and got 2 interviews and job offer in a nick of time. The weather is much better and people are friendlier. Don't waste your time like I did. It's true, if you aren't a software developer, forget about being welcomed here as a transplant. I lost 14 months of my time to Seattle (only worked for 2 months as a contractor during that time) and I sent over 350 applications everywhere. I had interviews but they never tell you whether you didn't get the job or not. Usually no news, is bad news.

I'm from Washington, south of Seattle, and received my bachelors degree here but all of my professional experience and masters degree I completed out of state. I've had an incredibly difficult time getting interviews but I've had a few phone and in-person interviews. I've applied for a range of jobs- those where I meet the qualifications and some where I exceed qualifications, and still nothing. When I first moved back to WA I was working remotely for the company I was with out of state and only casually looking for local employment. I started aggressively looking for jobs in February, still searching.

it's definitely a difficult job market, I would say I learned the hard way of " Don't ever move somewhere unless you have a job there. Job first, housing later and everything will fall into place. If you don't find anything in another 3 months, I would recommend you look into moving to other states.

I agree to all of the comments here, it has been a whole year for me looking for a job, but nothing.

Some times because I am over qualified, or do not have enough experience, but most of the time there is never an answer, or the have decided to move on to other candidates.

I do not have idea of why this situation, i am not going to say i am the best, it is not like that, but i definitely capable, i have the skills, and good certs, suchas CCNA, Ethical Hacker Certification, and A+.

Getting very dissapointed, and tired.

I started thinking about applying in other states, but i wonder if the same issue occures in those states.

Hi all. I actually just found this forum post while I was Googling "why is it so difficult to hire people in Seattle?" and I'd like to chime in from a different perspective. I moved here over two years ago from New Jersey and I was lucky enough to have a job waiting for me. The job is with a small ecommerce retailer based right outside Seattle and it's a wonderful opportunity.

Anyway, part of my job is to recruit, hire, and build a successful customer service team. I've spent the greater part of two years looking for talented customer service professionals in the area with terrible results. I'm looking for a Customer Service Lead and in the past I was looking for Customer Service Representatives. I was fortunate enough to eventually find a good rep. My employment ads have been posted on Indeed, Craigslist, Facebook, LinkedIn, and just about anywhere else you can imagine. Without getting into specifics, I can tell you that the candidates have been a huge let down.

So, the questions I pose to this forum post:

1). Where are you looking for work?
2). Where are you networking?
3). Do you feel you're being to picky about the salary or position?
4). How would you recommend I go about sourcing good talent and creating a solid talent pool?

No clue. I grew up in Seattle area and had to take some detours while helping elderly parents. I worked hard for an IT department as a contractor - for 5 years. I did project management, scheduling, planning, and web content management -and budget management .... 2008 hit me too hard.

The contract was terminated with 2-week notice after being promised a years extension. Starting that year, and for no apparent reason, recruiters barely talk to me. Networking is bs -- friends in IT just say go look at job opening and apply on our website.

I wish I could say it's not Seattle, but maybe it is. You have to know someone and the Seattle Freeze is real.

Travis, those are good questions. I've actually widened my search to include literally entry level stuff I've done since -- oh -- 1974, and still can't get interviews. And yet I read the unemployment rate is lower than it's been in 50 years.
I would say source good talent by creating a pathway where the talent finds your company attractive for short and long term employment.

The gig economy has destroyed real opportunities in Seattle, so if you are looking for talent, willing to mentor people, and able to prove valuable skills will be built, you should be able to find a strong talent base.

How about looking for elder workers -- those who are nearing retirement but nowhere nearing ready to throw in their towel? I know many of us over 50 are and have been looking for real work. I know I've been looking for too long.

Jun 1, 2018 Solution

TravisCC:
My Response:
1) Anywhere in the SeaTac Region (i.e. West of the Cascades, Olympia or North)
2) Just Beginning-mainly online with no luck: left the military as an analyst in 2012 and after 5 months of attending every vet event in the area avoiding $20k in 'bootcamp' debt, decided to move to the east-coast and deploy on and off for 5 years... now want to move home ๐Ÿ˜•
3) Considering cost-of-living and family of 2, not at all.... that said, I understand if I'm not 100% proficient at all 'required' coding skills, I deserve a lower pay- however, the typical way of modern recruiting/hiring fails to account for ability to excel at adaptive learning (i.e. if I can absorb 80-90% of skills in the same time that a 100% proficient coder adapts to your business style, why hire that coder over me, when 6 months down the road I can optimize the entire team and increase speed to delivery by 15%)?
4) Crux of my problem- very few hiring managers today look thru a lens at how the prospective employee benefits the business 6-12 months down the road. For example, (practically) anyone who won't steal from the register or poison customers can work in fast food. However, whether an office manager, a CTO, skilled engineer, or rocket scientist; unless you are performing off of a checklist, it generally takes 6-12 months for an employee to become proficient at their job. At the end of the day, a candidate's resume does little to assist you in determining whether a candidate can succeed or not- and in the Seattle area, I have found most job postings require so many 'check the box' requirements that they simply rule out any stellar job candidates from the moment the job is posted. All I can suggest is to break down a job opening into core rudimentary components- what tasks or project responsibilities will the position be responsible for? Can that individual perform those tasks? What has that candidate done in their past that makes them a good fit?

Jul 12, 2018 Solution

I thought I would throw my thoughts in here. Ive lurked this thread for a while and come to this conclusion from my past experience applying for jobs in Seattle....don't bother. I don't mean to be harsh, I literally mean don't waste your time, when there are so many other great cities and regions in our country (SF Bay, LA, Phoenix, Chicago, Texas, Raleigh, Atlanta). I know people who have looked for 4-5 years and not found anything in Seattle.

I have a college degree, work experience, tons of networking done in my field, ran my own part- time company and post-grad certifications. I ran into the exact same problem as everyone else in this thread.

Seattle is a very insular place when it comes to hiring. Distrust of outsiders is a big one. Especially if you are seen as an "invading Californian" as myself...haha.

Combine that with the fact that unless you are planning on going into corporate, aerospace or senior software development, everything else pays very poorly for the cost of living and housing prices keep going up. Yes, your pay might be less in Atlanta, but the COL is much, much cheaper. Part time, contract and gig jobs have pretty much wrecked everything IT in the Seattle region.

I would honestly encourage anyone who is still looking at Seattle to reconsider and look into one of the other cities I have mentioned above.

Iโ€™ve had similar issues (all of this feels like hearing myself), except for the fact that now I am a โ€˜local,โ€™ and Iโ€™m constantly hearing from employers and HR people that competition is high due to high quality out-of-area talent, and that they receive 300-400 applications for every single position (and then basically just scan the top 1/4 of each resume to see if they know the applicantโ€™s name before tossing it into the garbage). Okay, so I added the last part in parentheses as my assumption, but Iโ€™m pretty sure thatโ€™s what happens after too many discussions with friends in HR and recruiters...

So I first moved here in 2010 and had much more success getting interviews and offers then (people generally loved that I was from out of state), with a BA and less than 3 years experience in my field than I do now with over 10 years in private and public sectors, an MA, and TONS of โ€˜networkingโ€™ connections.

I do not get it. Iโ€™ve redone my resume so many times I want to burn it, Iโ€™ve studied and practiced interviewing until I was dreaming about it, and Iโ€™ve expanded my applications to include just about anything that Iโ€™m in the realm of qualified for, including entry level. Still I cannot get an interview for anything full time, anything permanent, or anything within 20 miles of where I live (Tacoma).

The general response I get is that there are massive amounts of qualified applicants (sometimes they give the number, which is always in the hundreds), and I wasnโ€™t selected to move forward, although they are so impressed with my qualifications. Iโ€™ve attmepted to get more feedback several times and have received generally rude responses, and nothing helpful to try and fix whatever I am doing wrong.

Travis, Is there a magic HR formula or secret word I need to add on my resume? Or a handshake for the interview? Iโ€™ve never had this happen before, and itโ€™s really disheartening to experience at a time when the economy is supposedly so great and everyone has a job...

Aug 22, 2018 Solution

I'm in nearly the same boat. I'm from out of town, recently graduate college and my boyfriend got a job here in Seattle. He's also from Seattle, so him coming back here was natural. I didn't have a job lined up so I thought to focus my search to the Greater Seattle Area. My mom wanted me to first get a job and then move, but his family thought it would be easier acquiring a job once I'm here. I'm now kind of regretting moving here without a job because I've been on the job hunt for nearly 3 months, and I haven't had any interviews. I graduated from a fantastic university and have a good chunk of valuable experience, yet no call backs. Everyone says it's a numbers game, or network, and I'm just trudging along applying and contacting people because that's literally all I can do outside of giving up (which is not an option).

I'm going to start networking and contacting people as my new attempt, because I realized it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a job here without being introduced or referred. I'm at my wits end because my loans start needing to be paid on December 1st ish and going through an interview process (once I'm called in, which hasn't happened) takes time.

My resume is also as good as it's going to get. My experience is my experience and there's only so many ways I can rephrase it to be caught in algorithms. Everyone said Seattle has a great job market, but honestly, in my experience, there aren't that many jobs, and there's hundreds if not thousands of people applying (even more so in my field) and so it's actually, kinda sh*t.

It also sucks cause I'm from New York, where I feel really confident I could have landed a relevant job in my field by now, but I also feel like that's 'the grass is always greener' mentality which I'm trying to shy away from. Thing is, If I don't land a job, what happens to this relationship? It makes no sense to do long distance, if I decide to go back home because there's literally no traction.

I'm going to try networking and see

Sounds like Raleigh/Durham is the same as Seattle. I'm from the New York City area originally and moved down for a comparable corporate legal job as I had up there and looked forward to nicer weather and less expensive living. Four years later, my pharma company was acquired and most of the jobs relocated to Boston. The writing has been on the wall for a year and in that time I can't find any role that doesn't pay drastically less and entail lesser responsibilities. Thinking about selling my house and moving on but can't decide where. Was thinking about Atlanta, Dallas or Houston. But (and I hate to head back in the direction I came from) maybe Washington, DC makes more sense.

I am also in the same boat. I'm actually from the Bay Area, all my family and connections are in the Bay Area. Being in Bay Area for too long and sharing room to be able to afford to go to college, I finally finished my Bachelor degree in Computer Science. But I think I made a mistake. Right after out of college, I decided to move to Seattle without a job. Now after 5 months sending almost a hundred applications, I've heard nothing back. Only a few phone calls, but not even an in person interview. I don't know what to do, I may consider to move back.

Just another reason to hate Seattle. I am working although the pay is not that good. So I am hunting for another job. They say the best time to find a job is while you still have one. That does not apply to Seattle. In the course of about 1 year, I have only got one in-person interview and a handful of phone interviews that never went anywhere. I am in the tech field so maybe it is limited to that line of work. But I am planning on a move out of Seattle next year and can't wait to get out of this God forsaken place.

I wish I had found this thread a year ago before I moved to this city. My husband and I relocated really quickly about a year ago. He was able to transfer his job and I got an offer and was out here three weeks later. My husband is burnt out in his industry and hoped to get a new job once we got here. He's been applying for months with no bites. He went to an Ivy League school, has 10 years of experience in his field and worked at some top tier companies in NYC for petes sake. He's gotten no looks. We absolutely hate it here. The people are pretentious and judgmental. They act nice and super liberal with rainbow flags and BLM signs in their windows but don't actually know how to engage with any of these people. The people are just a little off and socially awkward so I think they blackball East Coaster because they're too direct. Seattlites are obnoxiously liberal - and this is coming from a pretty intense liberal. They are SO passive aggressive because they are afraid of conflict but if you ever speak up or acknowledge a problem you're perceived to be a jerk or too confrontational. I hate this fake harmony that they perpetuate. My husband and I are preparing to move back east. I'm from Cali and wanted to be back on the West Coast but the insularity and pretense is overwhelming. We don't want to raise kids here and there is no housing stock for regular working people. We hope to be back in a real city with real people next year.

Wow! Just Wow.
SoOverSeattle --
Look at your skills. Look at your competition. If you are under 45, skilled, have relevant experiences, and do something to meet people, you should be able to make friends, create interest, and find your way. Maybe by boasting your Ivy League status while being out of work, you create an image conflict. Maybe you came here expecting that everyone would suddenly love you for being new when it just takes work to build lasting friendships. For everyone!

Most people are busy working or doing their own life. Most people are also lonely and looking for friends too.

It's not SEATTLE. It's your approach to the problem that creates your hatred. It's also that the area is freaking flooded with out of state transients who also haven't figured out how to make real friends. Go, volunteer. Go, join groups where you find people with common interests and values. Make real friends. And don't be so pretentious and judgemental. It's like this everywhere.

I'm not even close to being passive aggressive -- I'm just direct. Take your pretentious pompous attitude somewhere else. You'll have the same situation. It's hard to make friends once out of school. Don't blame Seattle.

I saw this post a few months back. I decided to see things for myself, but, after being here for more than 6 months, I have to come back to this post and say, Yes, I am starting to have doubts here.

What my experience has been like;

1) The recruiter, he just stopped communication.

2) Schedule conflict by just 3 hours as I am enrolled in UW and they wanted somebody to work late and be on-call.

3) This was quite funny. I had 3 years of experience working in SCCM. They wanted somebody with 10 years exp. However, according to the recruiter I did really well and they were interested and getting things ready to make an offer, I however, never got contacted for a follow up, even when I initiated the follow up, I was told "stay tuned" then, nothing.

3) again? Yep, same role, I interviewed well, but they didn't select. Here is what the recruiter said "You proved that even with your 3 yearsโ€™ experience in SCCM, you know more than those we interviewed with 10 yearsโ€™ experience but, we really want 10 yearsโ€™ experience". Ok, whatever.

4) I passed a technical test, but during the technical interview, I missed what they were looking for by ONE question.

4) Again (diff. role): The recruiter said: "You are more than qualified for the role, but I need a little more PowerShell experience" ok, whatever.

4) Again (diff. role): Recruiter said "I really like your resume and your experience, lets just move forward with next steps?" 2 weeks later "others more closely align with what we want".

5) "You are amazing, very sharp and we value your experience" 2 weeks later, "skill-set of another closely aligned with what we want".

6) I applied, was interviewed, took 4 months, not selected.

This isn't even all the companies and interviews. Other times, it's a recruiter who will lie or give vague details about the role for a "hopeful hire" or a "blind interview".

Competition is understandable but, this state has been a letdown.

I wish Iโ€™d found this post a year ago when we were still living in MD. My bf and I moved across the country to be here because of the โ€œwest coast vibe." We wanted something different, as Iโ€™m from DC and heโ€™s from IL, Chicago area. Moving out here seemed like a fun adventure and certainly a way to live outside of what weโ€™d known all our lives...

And now itโ€™s been 11 months and my bf canโ€™t get a job. He has over a decadeโ€™s worth of experience as a technical writer for big pharmaceutical, having worked with companies like Abbot and Pfizer. Heโ€™s never had an issue landing a role, until now.

The only reason I have a job is because I work for myself, as a freelance content creator.

Iโ€™ve been keeping us afloat for these last few months, but heโ€™s acquiring debt still just from rent and basic living essentials, and Iโ€™m getting super worried.

Working from home, I see him apply to jobs every single morning. He picks up recruiter calls, heโ€™s applied for remote work from out of state, heโ€™s altered his resume a million times, you name it. And nothing. Just a few phone interviews and three in person interviews with recruiters.

Every time they tell him he wasnโ€™t selected, a piece of him dies. And itโ€™s always the same excuse: someone else was selected internally. The other go-to is that someone else had skills that aligned with the role better.

Seriously?

We donโ€™t have the money to move out somewhere else and we had to renew our apartment lease last week lest we got kicked out and had no home. So we donโ€™t have the luxury to move. I asked if he wanted to and he said we couldnโ€™t move due to finances, and heโ€™s right.

We had hoped to be married and living in a house by now, maybe even looking to get a dog. But thatโ€™s... not happening now. Not sure what to do.

Youโ€™ve taken the words right out of my mouth literally and I was born and raised here. I thought the behavior was from people that werenโ€™t true Seattlelites but Iโ€™m sadly mistaken. I too have have excellent background and no job bites. Iโ€™m ready to move out of the dying Seattle

Stream of consciousness incoming:

I've been lurking this thread for over a year and a half. Back when I was struggling to find a job in Seattle after moving here right after college without a job lined up. I had been told by a family member who lives here that Seattle was a great city to start my "adult" career.

I was reading the oldest of these comments, and in retrospect, I should have left this city over a year ago. If you are still reading, take these people's advice and leave. If you haven't made the mistake of coming here yet save your money and sanity and don't take the plunge.

For what it's worth, I graduated from a "Public Ivy" with 6+ years of relevant experience working in a tech startup and as well as an internationally recognized company back in the Midwest. I have a B.S. degree in a relevant field, professional IT certifications, experience in scripting/automation, Linux Admin, etc. A professionally reviewed and edited resume, a robust portfolio of projects, glowing letters of recommendation from professors and former bosses.

Which is to say I have jack $hit. I have been in Seattle for two years and only recently have I gotten a full-time position with enough pay to afford a decent studio apartment (forget a one-bed unless it's in Lynnwood). I have spent the last two years in contractor hell for big-name tech companies. I am not a Software Engineer, which means I am duking it out with a hundred thousand fellow transplants, natives, and H1B visas for a few thousand Network Analyst/Admin/Engineer positions.

The pay for 75+% of these positions is a total joke. One of these typical non-Dev tech jobs will be 80k+ in Chicago/Austin, 120k+ in NYC/LA and 180k+ in SV that same job will be ~60k in Seattle. 60 ducking k. In a city that has already overtaken places like Austin and LA in housing and rental costs and is fast approaching San Francisco housing prices. H1B visas, contractors/temp-hires/part-timers/interns have decimated the IT job market.

As others have previously mentioned hiring here is incredibly parochial and insular, if you are a transplant like me It's pretty much Amazon/Microsoft/Google/FB etc. or bust. Despite its portrayal in popular media, Seattle is far from cosmopolitan or forward-thinking. (More on that later)

My family member who has lived in Seattle for 25+ years is affluent and well-connected. He was out drinking with his peers, including a Starbucks executive who said that they had posted a single barista job. Minimum wage, part-time, little to no benefits. Within one week, there were over 6,000 applicants. They thought it was hilarious.

Don't come here.

Jun 4, 2019 Solution

Bonus Round:

Traffic here is terrible, and the city/county governments are both incompetent and corrupt. Transit projects that cost vast amounts of taxpayer money go nowhere for years.

People here can't drive. I have nearly been hit a half dozen times in two years. As a pedestrian, I have almost been hit or run well over a dozen times by trophy wives in Mercedes/Audi/Porsche SUVs rushing their kids to their 20k+ a year private schools. PS I hate Tesla owners.

People here can't bike. Want to raise your blood pressure? Wish to test your sanity? Come to Seattle and witness cyclists weave in and out of street traffic, run across cars who have green lights, run pedestrians off of sidewalks even though they have dedicated bike lanes or just casually pedal 6mph down a side street forcing all of the cars behind them to match their speed.

Jun 4, 2019 Solution

People here are terrible. The Seattle Freeze is real, and the city is incredibly transient and insular. People here are fake, pretentious, manipulative, and passive-aggressive. I have had multiple people stare at me, commenting on my appearance, or insulting me in public. A mentally ill homeless person, you say? Nope, just random ducking people who stop and stare and start monologuing about your physique or fashion choices. If you stare back or confront them, they act like you are a serial killer.

People here are REALLY terrible. Seattle has a reputation for being a hyper-liberal city. In many ways, it's true. In all of the ways that actually count it is a total lie. I am a medium height, overweight minority male. I look like Steve Urkel with love handles. When I go to less diverse neighborhoods (which these days is basically all of Seattle, but I'm especially looking at you Ballard/Fremont,) residents in their 1000+ dollar tracksuits look at me like I am a thug who will ravage and mug them the second they take their eyes off of me. People here don't know how to handle actual diversity. Diversity to Seattlites is a straight white woman with dyed hair and tattoos.

In my two years of living here, I have been stopped by the police 4+ times. Have had the cops called on my apartment twice because "I didn't belong there." I have had security guards place their hands on their guns when I walk by. Had cops ignore (white) people jaywalking across a one-way street but tried to give me a ticket for jaywalking when I did the same. I have had co-workers who are also minorities, harassed, stalked, discriminated against in housing, and intimidated by locals. These same locals have BLM signs and the "we believe in science, climate change and racial justice, etc. etc." signs on their front yards. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Homelessness, crime, and filth are out of control. Do you like mentally ill homeless people yelling racist slurs at you? Do you like the smell of human feces and urine? Do you like living in a city with some of the highest property crime rates in the country? Do you like trash and tents everywhere you go? Then Seattle is for you. Thefts, break-ins, and car prowls happen by the minute here. The number of 20 somethings who live in poverty or are outright homeless is staggering.

I haven't even mentioned the weather. The Rain is fine, its the weeks of unceasing grey that will drive you to depression and self-loathing for why you chose this smug, pretentious shithole of a city when your friends chose real cities with real people who are actually making their way in the world while you are stuck here because you can't afford to move.

TLDR; Don't come to Seattle.

No offense dude but you totally belong here in Philly. Nobody will call the cops on you or care what you do on the streets it's barely reported and there's robbing, assaults, and shootings every day and homeless/trash everyone. They don't call it here the poorest big city in the US for nothing. I think you pretty much get used to it. However, it's pretty nice once you get nearer the city. Plus jobs here are plenty, competition is low. You can easily make 60k here driving a bus or being a traffic officer I don't think it's too hard to find a place. Also housing is much cheaper. The only folks that should be looking to move into Seattle are techies and CEOs. Lot of H1B folks there because they can't get any H1Bs in other places and all the big companies are hiring.

Jun 14, 2019 Solution

I posted here 4 months back. I wanted to post my update. After living here for a year. I finally landed a role I wanted, with the pay and benefits I wanted as well. The role is just at the border of the Seattle area.

I actually learned something during this whole process I hoped to share with everyone who struggled like me. someone here kind of passed over a good point but I will hit the nail on the head.

As an experiment I interviewed with companies outside of Washington State, and I realized there was a huge difference in interviews and how candidates are anazlyzed. espcially for technical roles.

MAJORITY of the companies, around the greater Seattle area seem to only focus one thing when they interview as opposed to an individual. basically they say they want someone with skills 1, 2 and 3, but during the interview, they seem to only be interested in skill 2 or skill 4. They are very narrow minded and focus too much on the "what" and not the "who". Also, the market is very developer beyond all other types of employees. The technical recruiters here have also given me the worst experience compared to those in other states.

As mentioned I landed a role here... finally. the conversation with the company was "I have a hard time finding roles in my skillset in this state" their response, "we have a hard finding people with your skillsets", this could be due to the job market catering more to a specific skill. The interview felt natural as it should, and I was judged on my experience not a specific "thing" they wanted.

My best recommendation here to all, is to look beyond Seattle. you don't have to go to far, but those truly unique comapnies are tucked away in other cities or pockets outside of the Seattle border. I wish I could give better advice here, but hopefully someone find this contribution useful.

Good luck all.

Jun 29, 2019 Solution

So I thought I would come back and comment here again. I did look for a little more in Seattle one last time, and interviewed for technical and non-technical roles in things such as asset management, sales, etc. Ive pretty much given up on the city, the amount of homelessness, drug use and crime seems to have gotten worse since the last time I was there. I now have several long time friends, who have been WA state residents their entire lives, thinking of packing up and leaving because of the ever increasing costs, lack of jobs, and the few jobs that are there have very poor pay. Did I also mention I was almost hit 3 times in a span of 5 min by out of control drivers?

Jul 3, 2019 Solution

This wasn't the best post for me to find after three months of job searching, but at this point, I'm struggling so much and just want to know I'm not alone.

Bringing a new perspective here: I've already had several jobs in Seattle since I moved here 4 years ago, and each one was toxic. By standing up to verbal abuse, illegal employment practices, and cult-of-personality leadership styles, I was told I don't fit in. Like was mentioned above, most are looking for the right "what", without concern for the "who." In my experience, the "what" is perfect output, and the "who" is anyone who will tolerate the corruption and poor business practices without trying to change them.

And now I'm on the hunt again, this time with unemployment (via a retaliatory lay-off) and looking for director or leadership roles, but starting to change my tactic after putting out 42 high-quality applications (resume, cover letter, references) and getting just two phone screens that went nowhere. Now I'm just trying to find anything that will pay the bills and let me stay here in Seattle where I want to be.

The trouble has been energy - I pour so much into each custom application, and then I hear nothing back. Crickets. It's depressing. I've come to question my own worth, after 20 years in nonprofit work I feel useless to anyone.

Despite my depression, I still do love Seattle. It's a great city with a lot of potential. It's where some of the important ideas about liberal civilization are coming together, which is what brought me here begin with. Crime, homelessness, anger... that's everywhere.

I believe in Seattle, but the question I'm dying to know... does Seattle believe in me?

Jul 17, 2019 Solution

OMG...You are incredible. I moved here from the East Coast 12 years ago and you are SO RIGHT!! I have experienced this reality every day!! You have no idea how much I relate to what you are saying. I am Native American and have been a Social Justice activist for 30 years and I have been horrifically oppressed and judged by these passive aggressive people. I am an unemployed writer, and I cannot get hired at 46 as a writer OR a cashier...Your words give me hope that I am at least not alone. i want to thank you for being prophetic

Sep 26, 2019 Solution

Interesting...to let you know. I am not being picky...have over 30 years of writing AND am a VERY STRONG AWARD WINNING Customer Service professional and I cannot get hired. I am networking everywhere and using Linked In, Indeed, and many other sites. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me at 46 to get a job here. The despondency, along with the Seattle "Freeze" and passive aggressiveness, is incredible.

I'm not in Alabama, I'm in WA; I guess the network I'm on is confused. I've been here since 2015, and I too, have sent out applications, awesome resumes, cover letters, etc. I even ran the gauntlet at Blue Origin (a 45 minute briefing, Q&A, and three more interviews after that...) only to be told, "we're going in another direction..." State jobs? Forget it. I've even gone through recruiters and provided them with resumes and skillsets that were perfect/spot-on for positions...and not even a phone call. And this is throughout the Olympia/Tacoma/Seattle area. I'm a retired Army officer with decades of leadership experience with IT and cyber security, and I can't even get my foot in the door even with a perfect matchup to the job description. Maybe I'm too old (53) I am so depressed over this, and I don't know what the heck to do.

Nov 14, 2019 Solution

I'm so glad to discover this thread and to know that I'm not alone. I've been living here for 2 1/2 years, and I'm still living in a rut as far as getting a dream job goes. I graduated from College with a BA in Computer Technology, and I made a mistake of moving up here from Cali without a job lined up like Robert ended up doing (Except I'm from the greater LA area). I moved up here with my family thinking that I'll have an easier time getting an Entry Level IT job since there are plenty of tech companies in this area. Oh boy was I naive. Applied for a bunch of IT jobs within a year and a half with no results, and that's due to having little to no experience, lack of connections, and living a little over 30 miles from Seattle/Bellevue area (I live in Tacoma). I've been very depressed and suicidal over this as well as comparing myself to my former classmates who successfully ended up with an IT gig after college.

I ended up taking any kind of job just to get by and save money. In the beginning of next year, I'll have to join Networking Events, just to see if it'll make any good difference. I'm on the process of studying for Certification Tests just to earn some certs, but with me having to work at a dead end 12-hour day Warehouse that takes up most of my days, it's been tough trying to make enough time to pursue my dream job. Might have to quit my current job around February or March and download DoorDash (or Grubhub) in between. I would like to quit now, but the timing isn't right since I'll be visiting Philippines with my family for two weeks in January.

Even though it's hard out here, I'm not giving up on my dream job. I worked so hard getting a degree, and I have sympathy for everyone who are going through the same struggle. I also don't want to give up on this area because I love how beautiful the scenery is and the fact that it has so much potential. By the time I finally land an IT job, I'll have a better mental health.

Nov 17, 2019 Solution