Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massage Envy Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Massage Envy?

What do you like best about working at Massage Envy? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?
Highlighted
Highlighted
@esthetician in colorado, and to be an esthetician you dont go/need to go to college so you graduated early you claim? apparently you aren't doing the work that you supposedly went to college for. I dont have to resort to lies in order to win and argument which is further proof that you are a paid troll posting on behalf of massage envy. that is pathetic. and i am happy to be a 40 year old doing a job a love. it took me a long time to find a job i love so much and that is why my tolerance for this company is zero and why i will continue to hope that my fellow massage therapists get the heck out of their and find a more rewarding job not only do they pay terribly they also treat their customers horrible as well as the people that work their. i realize that each location has managers and staff that are not treating them poorly however a job is meant to pay the bills and even if they are being nice to you they still are not paying you what you are worth. you must understand as you get older your body does get tired what are you others going to do when you are my age and you only make 8 or 9 dollars? not including tips i do understand but if a client cant pay above the discounted rate then they cant tip very well either. that is why if the company is willing to discount the services for those who cannot afford to pay more that they majority of the cost should go to the person who is doing the work. do the math even a very cheap massage is 39 dollars and they get 30 and you get 9? really look at the percentage they pocket? where i work i get 45% percent of the cost. this is GREED pure and simple
Jul 17, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
if i was as smart as you claim you are i would do more important work. i don't believe you at all. with two parents with enough money to send you anywhere you want to go and supposedly a brain that is meant to be used, you waste your intelligence on a job that is honest and good for most, but from previous posts you cant even seem to make proper sentences as evidenced by the above paragraph. stop lying and get a job at a real place not this franchise that under pays and under values their employees.
Jul 17, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Omg you guys are getting all defensive over the truth. First off, I graduated at 16 from high school with a gpa of 4.2, then went straight to college, and graduated two weeks early. I don't have time to be fighting with a 40 year old woman. At least I am going back to school for laser as of current and won't have to worry about money. I have two parents with prestigious jobs. My mother went to Harvard and is an attorney. You all are drama queens. Get real jobs, and stop complaining.
Jul 16, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
there is a class action lawsuit all current and former massage envy employees need to include your names so you can get your money from them. the judge just ruled it to move forward to trial therefore you should hopefully get some reimbursement for what you lost so please do a google search on the lawsuit and its filed in california but all the locations up to 130 thousand are going to be named therefore no matter where you lived you will qualify in addition if you are a dissatisfied customer there is another lawsuit going on for the unfair contracts that people were given and so they will also be sued for the fact that many customers want refunds that were not given to them as well as massages that consumers paid for and massage envy denied them access to recieving. it would appear by the end of it all massage envy if i will survive will be forced to pay more for their therapists and estheticians which is a good thing and will probably cause them to raise their fees... so if the customer base was only going due to cheap massage they will be losing business as well as having to pay out millions that they withheld and stole from workers and customers alike... bye bye massage envy i will not be sad to see you go! lol
Highlighted
You must have a great staff of people and a great management team. It makes all the difference. If you don't have that, it is hard to enjoy using your gift. They also seem to pay a higher rate where you are at as well. At the massage envy I worked for, they only paid $15 IF you got a certain amount of appointments. If you didn't meet the percentage for the pay period, you were reduced to $8 an hr. I was happy with $15, but $8? not when I spent a lot of money on an education and was doing a highly physical job. Not being happy with $8 does not make me greedy in my opinion. Especially when the front desk is getting paid much more for answering the phone with no education or skill.
Highlighted
Highlighted
While some Massage Envy franchises may be great, it all depends on the owner/management team. The Massage Envy in Tulsa Ok and is terrible. The management is a total train wreck. They treat their employees very badly. They get no break between massages. Sometimes have to switch rooms and shut the door to the room they were just working in and change the sheets when they have time because they book them back to back. They are supposed to get paid extra for deep tissue and requested therapist but the management will remove those things from their name just before pay day so they don't get extra for it. I know good therapists who have walked out from that place because it is such a joke.I'm one of them. I know therapist that still work there who smoke pot and party with the manager and lead therapist who are married by the way. It is a very unprofessional atmosphere. At staff meetings the only beverage served is beer and the language that comes out of the manager's mouth is highly unprofessional! What I hate most about the way they do business is you only get your 15.00 per hr if you meet a certain percentage of appointments for the pay period. If you fall below that percentage, you get dropped to 8.00 per hr. So, you could be fully booked one week and work your butt off, only to not be booked at all the next week and get reduced to 8.00. That is not nearly enough pay for all that hard work. Not to mention the fact that massage therapist spend thousands of dollars on an education and should be making way more that 8.00! Everyone who was hired at that location was mislead by the manager about how the pay scale worked and were not pleased to find out that they were not actually getting 15.00 per hour. The people that stay after finding out how corrupt and deceitful they are only do so until they can find something else. I guarantee anywhere is better than that sweat shop that they try and pass off as a spa!
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
@esthetitian love in colorado...first of all i am way too good and too smart to work at massage envy. i interviewed there and ran for the door from all the problems i could see before i even did my massage. they wanted to hire me and i told them no way. i make more than 40 an hour where i work and after only two years i am doing 5 a day and making very good money. I just want my comrads in arms to realize they are worth more than this company and to make sure they dont settle for their payscale they can make more and SHOULD! they claim they cant pay more but they CAN they are just being greedy and LMTs should not stand for it! poor little esthetician has to remember products you sell to clients. i have a background doing hair and i used to do facials a long time ago and got bored because it didnt challenge me enough, but it is an honest living. not to put down estheticians just dont judge unless you did massage for 5 hours a day and again apples to oranges. as far as being sued for slander for my comments not one of them is slanderous as they are all based on what i have witnessed for myself and based on their business module. so maybe you should stick to learning about your 250 products and leave the legal advice to lawyers obviously you haven't got a clue about that either! but apparently your opinions about other peoples chosen profession and speaking about what you know not is your only fortee' in life. again your payscale at massage envy is on point for now as estheticians make that amount here in my state. now since they need to go into other areas to try to make up for the fact that they cant keep massage therapists working there and so they are now poking around in your field mayve if they decide to pay you half of what your making now you wont be so quick to offer your 2 cents when its only worth 1.
Jul 15, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Yes, you can. I'm assuming all the people that are complaining are just not that great at their job. I make 40plus an hour. I have a completely packed day, but I've never had an issue with making money with massage envy. As long as you can sell, and you are polite to customers, you will be fine.
Jul 13, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Yes! An Esthetician at Massage Envy. An I give you outstanding props on trying to make me out to seem like a fool, however if you think I don't know what you go through everyday. Your incorrect. I have different difficulties, such as remembering 250 products, and what each does. However your complaining on getting paid for doing massages all day, but your the one who went to school to be a massage therapist. If you didn't want to do it you shouldn't have. That was your poor decision making. However, sharing your thoughts on here is indecent, for those who actually appreciate having a job period. You realize all of you posting, your profound comments on here are expressing conduct that can incriminate you. If the CEO of Massage Envy decided to press charges, they would be able to do so. I'd just be careful where you voice your opinions. "FOOD FOR THOUGHT."
Jul 13, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
im glad to hear that at least this particular place pays you closer to what we are worth that is good to hear indeed that way you will be less likely to quit too bad the other owners dont see that in order to pay your bills you simply need to make more an hour. however with all the turnover your ME is not the norm but instead the exception. good luck to you
Jul 12, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
an esthetician at a massage envy? so they have to add services to the massage industry to make the money now huh? I love what I do too but only ask they i be paid what im worth. an esthetician doesnt get it cause cleaning peoples face is not exhausting if you do 40 hours of it. try doing 5 or 6 hours of massage and realize that you divide by two what you are paid due to becoming tired after 20 hours. so 17 an hour now becomes 8.50 an hour and you cant live on that, its below minimum wage. so you grow up and dont comment about a field you have no clue about. move on to a site about estheticians from what i hear 17 for an esthetician is the going rate so your comparing apples to oranges.
Highlighted
I'm appalled at all of these comments. I work at a massage envy in Colorado, i love my job. Finding a career isn't mainly on the compensation you receive. Its about atmosphere, the people that surround you. I enjoy my job, I've have hundreds of interviews with different companies offering me more, but I got in my field of work for the passion of helping people, not how much I'd make. I'm a proud Estheticain, and my main goal is to assure others they would never suffer from the acne that i did, it destroyed my life, and my self esteem. What all of you have is gifts, appreciate that and stop being so greedy. I was offered a job at massage envy for 17/hr at the DTC location in Colorado, I took it, and I'm happy I did. I know I'll go very far for this company with having very many extra Certifications as wide as computer technology. Stop gloating about your UN happiness, if your so UN happy leave, and stop putting your ruthless opinions out for everyone to see. Grow up!!
Highlighted
what i find amazing is everyone that is know that gets a job here is fresh out of school and none of them even want to remain working there or they quit working as massage therapists altogether. many who go there are not willing to give building up there career a chance. it takes time but its worth it to be paid what you are worth. most of the people who go to massage envy dont go for anything more important than a relaxing massage, from what i hear in my area anyway...to get a good massage they dont trust massage envy but dont mind going for a spa-like massage. i have another contact who opened his own place, he is not a massage therapist and he tries to cut rate his prices. he has gone through a lot of lmts already who keep quiting and he keeps begging me to work for him. i told him he should get out of my career since he has no clue as to how hard it is to kill your body and realize that you have to divide in half what you make due to not working 40 hours. and if you work the 40 it will absolutely catch up to you! anyway i have a question does anybody know if this company has ever shut down due to the issues they face? what is the average time-frame an lmt works there and is this franchise on the rise still or in areas they have been in for a long time such as georgia still going strong and popular?
Jun 9, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
membership fees are fine but how many people are you going to sell memberships to and still be able to offer them an appointment when they want it? If you did a frequency discounts there is no obligation on them or you but the more often they come the cheaper it is for them so that gives them an incentive to come in more frequently. And it works out for their wallet the same. I I think it is probably harder and small cities where people are not making as much money, I know that in bigger cities there are a lot of people with expendable income. But the days of getting paid well for massage therapy are not over. Still making a great salary and enjoying my job here in Atlanta despite massage therapist being a dime a dozen and spas & Massage Envys being everywhere. Don't let any of that stand in your way just pick out your target market and go for it.
Jun 6, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Massage Envy has been here in Atlanta for a long time yet I still get $120 for a 90 minute massage. If people come every week I reduce it to 100. If someone wants an hour it is $80 but if they come every week it is 60. I never let them tip me because I dont have to split my money therefore it is almost the same price as Massage Envy but they get much better service and a hell of a lot better massage. The owner of a few Massage Envy's in this city thrives on making money off the hard work of other people. He is also invested in another business that takes advantage of Chiropractors knowing that they have huge student loans and no way to pay them. His mommy started his Chiro practice. He treats his customers like crap. He treats his employees like crap. I would rather rob banks than work for Massage Envy or any spa for that matter. Get out there and market yourself. I worked from 6 a.m. Until 10 p.m. Doing chair massage and marketing myself in front of stores and at gyms and everywhere I could until I built up a practice. Massage provided me with a great house and took me on great vacations and a salary of about 90 to 100k a year. I have friends who are LMTs making that much. I have friends with degrees from Georgia Tech who see what I am making and get pissed because they are still paying all of their student loans and making less money. I got referrals from doctors and physical therapist eventually because I acted like a medical professional. Don't listen to all these a-holes who tell you you are not a health professional. Get out there and be one. Pick a target market and stick with it and show these blood sucking franchise owners that you are worth what you charge.the pay is excellent and you will have lots of freedom but the best feeling is when someone calls you the next day and tells you that all there pain is gone and nothing else had worked. They call you and not some d-head spa owner you slave for.
Jun 5, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
And please READ MY LIPS: I am saying to those of you who keep complaining here about getting $15 out of the $40 I pay ME, that I am willing to give you all the $40. You dont' want it, too bad, I'll give it to ME, and you get what you get!

The one thing I learned out of this whole forum: THE LMT in this forum seem to have a lot of problems with who they are and what they offer!

Wake up, smell the coffee, the world changed, you need to change with it. There used to be a time when massages were luxuries only a certain group of people could afford, but now, we are at the time that everyone, from the teacher who deals with 26 teenager, to the nurse who runs on her foot 10 hours a day, to the engineer who designs the very same computer you are using to get on this forum can use a little massage to just be able to get back to the work for which each and every one of us is getting paid less and less every day, where all our jobs are getting outsources or replaced one way or the other, whether it is by the online classes where no teacher is needed, to the hospitals when the patient is sent home to cost the cost of paying nurses,to the computer designs that are being sent to india. It is a different world, and like it or not, you the beloved massage therapist are part of it. Accept it, move on, and adapat to the change. Or it you decide not to, at least stop complaining when someone gives you an idea.

There is a book called "who moved my cheese" that I recommet you read, and then decide how to deal with the change.

As for me, as long as I have the choice between not getting massage, or getting one for $40, the choice is clear. The decision is yours: do you want my $40, or do you want the $15? There ME, Just Massage, and
Jun 5, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I agree. I too had the luck to work at a really nice Massage Envy. However, if an LMT is looking to grow in the field of massage, ME is slightly limiting. I've done couples massage and have experienced other therapist massage. I'm not claiming to be better than others but the intention I put into my work deserves more pay, I feel.
Apr 18, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
have a MHS in addictions, CAP, CAADC and a host of other certifications in my field not to mention a boat load of student loans and am making 15.00 an hour down here in Fl. the Director told me its a "right to work state" no benefits and he can fire me when ever he pleases without a reason, wow, welcome to the new world- I should have become a "massage therapist" instead of wasting my time in 7 years of post high school education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse
Apr 6, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I have a MHS in addictions, CAP, CAADC and a host of other certifications in my field not to mention a boat load of student loans and am making 15.00 an hour down here in Fl. the Director told me its a "right to work state" no benefits and he can fire me when ever he pleases without a reason, wow, welcome to the new world- I should have become a "massage therapist" instead of wasting my time in 7 years of post high school education.
Apr 6, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I'm split.
I'm labor, and so look at it from that angle.
But I also understand the costs of running a business.
So, when I start to look at whether ME is a decent deal, I have to assume the hours and effort of marketing, laundry, checking clients in and out / paying an assistant, dealing with angry clients, rent, utilities, and take that out of say, $80 per massage.
I know I cannot perform 40 massages a week, but let's call it 25, hour long sessions. I'm known for two-hour sessions, but this makes math easier. That's a gross of $2000 a week. Less $400 for se taxes and income tax.
I also pay my front office $500 a week, including taxes.
Location rent is another $200/wk, and we will say that is with utilities.
So far, I have $900.
I spend an additional 15 hours on web, social media, and face to face marketing averaged by the week. I pay myself half of the massage rate.
I now have $300. And I haven't washed or replaced sheets, or bought oil or add on service supplies. Or paid for a computer and Internet access.
And I have paid for neither long term disability insurance nor health insurance.
I have not paid myself!

I see an advantage to selective hours under an employer or contracting spa.

ME is almost no one's career, though overdoing it might make the franchise model a career ender.
Look at it for what it can be: a training ground for therapists I area where the hands on hours in massage are low to non existent. (I'm referring to hours outside of class)
A place to make some money while you establish yourself. A great place to put in a day or two for a guaranteed baseline income.
Mar 23, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I just got hired at massage envy, but I'm not sure if its the right move. I'm currently working with a mobile spa service where i get paid $40-$50 per massage. I feel like if i switch jobs I'd be getting paid less.
Feb 12, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I am a licensed therapist of 7 yrs. I worked 4 yrs for a chiropractor making $23 an hr. I was always fully booked with no problem because most patients have ins that will cover massage as part of their therapy. I got out of it for a little while to give my body a rest and last year decided to go back PT at Massage Envy. Their pay is a joke. You get paid $8 if you don't make your commission which is $15 an hr. In order to make you commission you must reach a certain percentage of clients for the pay period. If you don't, your pay for all that hard, physical labor is $8! So....if you are fully booked one week with back to back appointments and work your butt off then the next week it is slow and you fall below your percentage, you only make $8 per massage! I found another chiropractor to work for and am making $27 an hr. I am always fully booked. I would recommend to any therapist to find a chiropractor in your area. It is the definite best way to go financially. You are not in a salon waiting on clients they are waiting for you as current patients of the Dr. and there is an added bonus of receiving adjustments which will help keep your body in top notch shape since your job can be very hard on the body 🙂
Jan 27, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Cheap schools and low entry level credentials. ME's model would not work if most states required at least a 4 year degree to be an MT, instead of a year or less for most states. That would dry up the flood of new students who keep the wages low. It's the same for any industry- glut of labor reduces pay for all.
Jan 27, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Interesting discussion to to follow. I was doing research on ME for my cousin who's about to graduate from MT school. Ive been an esthetician for 17 yrs and worked in many different environments and with 100s of MTs. I now own my own small waxing studio and have some of these same feelings about European Wax. The spa/wellness business started taking hits when people no longer wanted to pay $60 for manicure when nail shops started popping up on every corner. Those of you complaining about ME ruining your industry...do you think twice about going to a nail salon today? How back breaking and tiring that job is? Those people doing a mani & pedi in one hour and doing 6-8 of those back to back just to make a living? Then came the "deals" like groupon (there were many other versions before it). IMO thats worse than all the nail/ massage/wax shops combined. When you start deep discounting your set prices, what you believe your services are truly worth, that's when public perception of your worth goes down. Those people will never want to pay full price again and become "spa hoppers" looking for a better deal, not better quality. Avoid Groupon! It's the way of our world and of our economy these days. ME is no better (and no worse) than the corner nail salons. Will you work your ass off for possible less pay per hour? Yes. But I've worked in NICE spas where MTs got paid great commission + tips only to sit around and do nothing for hours. And trust me, anyone who owns a spa can tell you, they aren't getting "rich" by paying you less. There is SO much overhead in the spa business. Unless you're a savvy business person you'll lose your a$€ the first year and everyone's out of a job. The key to surviving in the spa/wellness industry today, where ever you work, is to find your niche, become an expert at it and market yourself well.
Jan 24, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I do also want to say when I have my own clients i do lower my price because I dont have to share the money with anyone. I say steal the clientele when the membership runs out. we have to take ME down before they ruin the market and let me tell you i will quit as a lmt before i give them my talent then where will clients go when nobody wants to do massage because they cant pay their bills? you will lose this profession believe me
Oct 13, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
you go girl! couldnt have said it better! what i dont like is non lmt people trying to dictate to us what we are worth and what we should be paid they have not one bit of a clue and we are making them rich when its 100% us doing the work. i understand they should be compensated for what they do...book apts or whatever but they are taking the lions share and that is NOT ok....they dont deserve that much over the therapist...period
Oct 13, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Although I am happy working with massage envy as a new graduate. I have to accept that although I am doing a great job personally, clients who pay $39 and getting massage from someone who has already done 4-5 massages before them are NOT going to get the quality they would get from someone paid better and less tired.
Oct 10, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I have been with Massage Envy in Aurora colorado since this past June and love it! I have worked a long time in many places and this is my favorite. I think it depends on the owner from what I have learned from other therapists as to how well a massage envy runs. I love it but now everyone does. Front desk people are pretty stupid I have found but stupid is every where you go.
Oct 10, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
i said it before and i will say it again. I AM right out of school and I make 30.10 just in commissions and that is BEFORE my tips! no matter how you slice it you have to work 2xx's harder to make what i make and since WE DO ALL the work these leaches are GREEDY CORPORATE LOSERS....plain and simple they are ruining our career and making ALL the profit while you DO ALL THE WORK that is bulsh! think about it one owner and lets say you have 10 massage therapist at your job and you bring home in your salary (not tips) 300 a week... that corporation is making 3,000 a week to the manager to do not a DAM Thing since the corporate office does a lot.. if not ALL of the marketing! and tells them whatever deals you have going on. SO if you want to keep telling yourself your not good enough to make just as much as the therapists with more experience than i feel sorry for you! Every therapist is different and everyone does massage different some are better than others. I have taken clientele away from therapists who have years under therr belt cause Im that good! right out of the gate! if you have passion and love what you do then you will become or already be pretty dam good! ME will burn you out and rob you of your soul! I dont care what they say I DONT BELIEVE THEM. Except for the ones that never became good at their trade because they should never have become a therapist.. if you are good sooner or later you will ask yourself why am i here wasting my talent for so little money! period.... done.... too many hate it there for the masses to be wrong!
Jul 30, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I am an LMT and work for ME. My starting rate was 17.00hr and I was able to pick my own hours, days and modalities I wanted to practice. I am fresh out of school and I have no real experience to speak of. I was given the opportunity to tell them how many massages I would do in a row before I need a break and how many I would do in any given shift. There are many therapists at my location that have been there for over 7 years (they can't all be stupid)! My average pay per massage including tips is 31.00. My franchise owner offers benefits and "request therapists" incentives of 2.00 per request. That brings my total to 33.00 a massage. I do not pay for sheets, cleaning supplies,lotions,laundry services, marketing or appointment services ETC......I was told in school to not except jobs where you could not make your own decisions regarding your health and your worth!!!! If you don't like what they have to offer don't go on some website and complain about it, move on. I know you all think that your doing some great service to newly licensed therapist by giving them some in-site regarding ME, Right? Or maybe are you are pissed because you have not stood up for yourself and have allowed yourself to be taken advantage of???? Ask yourself that Question!!!!!
Jul 29, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I just have to say that for me right out of school i had absolutely no problems getting a job. i would put out my resume and get called within hours the competition is stiff every where you go they want a therapist so if your just graduating do not let that force you to going to ME. do not assume you will not get a job. if you are good with your hands and are not doing this job because you wanted to work part time for fulltime work than you will succeed. I love what I do and its easy for me to get hired so dont go here before you attempt to find a job at a real job. also i have notices that ME is branching into facials now! i guess they have exploited LMT's and that is not paying the bills so now they are going to exploit estheticians! whats next an oil change while you wait! i think it shows us that no matter how cheap you give away massage that unless its quality people dont want it. NOT massage! that is a persons body they are trusting you with and let me tell you if you dont give a good massage people will not come back. even if its your first and you dont know the difference!
Jul 19, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
If ANY MT wants to make $50K per year I can teach them how to do, and crush Massage Envy. The main problem is those who want to hold on the idea that they won't work unless they make $60 per hour. Those days are GONE in this economic climate. The math is very simple and there is NO smoke and mirrors needed, rather just a system, a business approach, both proven and solid. I have a $5000 tip for anyone caring enough to listen and learn. Let me share one idea that I use every day in my centers nationwide. You MUST have a membership program this cements your clients to YOU not slave to the daily deals. Envy is not the one inflicting most of the damage on massage it's, the daily deal site that have destroyed the loyal following of the MT. You don't have to charge $59 a month to have a successful membership program. $10 per month will do the same thing, but you do need a software program to automate these steps to keep it clean, effective and efficient. I got this as well.
Feb 28, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Music Lady is right, the salaries have gone down alot. This is because of cheap LOW QUALITY places like Massage Envys, as well as the flood of massage therapists and massage therapy schools entering the market. Its a matter of time until half of massage therapists will be unemployed. The average massage therapist working full time will make about $25,000 including tips, if you make more than that, you are on the right side of average. Expect this amount to become $20,000 by 2015...
Feb 27, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I worked for ME for 4 years. The bads and the goods of working there depends on how much garbage you can take. And after four years of it I was burnt out and tired of working there, not to mention the endless weekends of missing out on family activities. And I thought it was bad when I was an over-the-road truck driver-at least I got paid good!
The problem with ME in the last couple of years has been due to them treating their therapists like a number. When I started there, which yes I was afraid to work there, I loved it!
The paychecks were great, I could still work at my chiros once a week, great benefits, and easy to get a day off when you needed it.
Now, ksue, I'm just like you-a very hard worker who has held a job of some type since I was ten and whose parent would never let me be lazy! But unfortunately since Massage Envy has flooded the market, it has been next to impossible to find a decent paying job. Since their arrival the respect and pay MT's have, has steadily declined. Now some of the blame is on the economy as well as other professions similar to our have made it next to impossible for us to get a decent wage, benefits, and respect as a professional-and those wonderful human trafficking establishments.
I will say however that it was a good jumping off point and the one I worked for gave us some awesome benefits. But after winning numerous awards, decreased chances to pay raises, cattle-call massages, corporate bs, and office politics-I had enough.
And at this point the only reason why I renewed my license this year was because I have four private clients who depend on me every week.
When I got into massage therapy the average wage in Illinois was $50,000/year. Now it is closer to $24,000/year. And Massage Envy had just opened their first location in Illinois when I had checked those stats when I was in school.
So, now you understand why therapist are against them.
Jan 24, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I worked for ME for 4 years. The nads and the goods of working there depends on how much garbage you can take. And after four years of it I was burnt out and tired of working there, not to mention the endless weekends of missing out on family activities. And I thought it was bad when I was an over-the-road truck driver-at least I got paid good!
The problem with ME in the last couple of years has been due to them treating their therapists like a number. When I started there, which yes I was afraid to work there, I loved it!
The paychecks were great, I could still work at my chiros once a week, great benefits, and easy to get a day off when you needed it.
Now, ksue, I'm just like you-a very hard worker who has held a job of some type since I was ten and whose parent would never let me be lazy! But unfortunately since Massage Envy has flooded the market, it has been next to impossible to find a decent paying job. Since their arrival the respect and pay MT's have, has steadily declined. Now some of the blame is on the economy as well as other professions similar to our have made it next to impossible for us to get a decent wage, benefits, and respect as a professional-and those wonderful human trafficking establishments.
I will say however that it was a good jumping off point and the one I worked for gave us some awesome benefits. But after winning numerous awards, decreased chances to pay raises, cattle-call massages, corporate bs, and office politics-I had enough.
And at this point the only reason why I renewed my license this year was because I have four private clients who depend on me every week.
When I got into massage therapy the average wage in Illinois was $50,000/year. Now it is closer to $24,000/year. And Massage Envy had just opened their first location in Illinois when I had checked those stats when I was in school.
So, now you understand why therapist are against them.
Jan 24, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I have been a LMT for 6 years. I have worked for Chiropractors making 50% commission and spas making 40% commission which is anywhere from 26.00-30.00 per hour. When I first heard of Massage Envy and the 15.00 per hour pay, my first thought was no way I would massage for that little. However, when working in a clinical setting, you do not get tips. Patience see the Dr. and then see you. They view you as part of their therapy that their insurance is paying for so they do not tip like they do at spas. On the Spa side of things, they charge anywhere from 65.00-75.00 per hour and their clientele is very slow especially when you are dealing with people's disposable income. As a consumer, I would be more likely to pay 39.00-49.00 for massage than the higher price just to be in a spa atmosphere. Therefore, Massage Envy is going to stay very busy even in a failing economy. As a therapist, I would rather get 4-5 massages a day at 15.00 per hour plus tips than sit around making no money waiting on someone to come into a luxury spa and maybe get one massage that day. So in my opinion, if you want to stay busy, and make a steady income with tips Massage Envy is the way to go.
Dec 13, 2012 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I have my own practice with no employees and I travel to clients homes, so my overhead is very low. When a client like you comes along (and I LOVE when you!!), I offer a multi-visit plan which can be paid down over time. As long as I'm receiving payments, I'll continue with the appointments. I've gained alot of wonderful return clients this way who are happy to spread the word about my practice, which is free advertising for me! But most importantly for me is that I know I'm helping a client who otherwise would continue in their life in discomfort. It makes me happy.

Maybe you could look around your area for something similar? Good luck, I hope you find someone!
Sep 28, 2012 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I'm not sure how to start a new forum. But I was wondering about being a sales associate.I've been in sales and customer service but this would be somthing different for me.message envy in my location is hiring for sales associate
Sep 21, 2012 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
lil and ksue you make some good points, but I do think you were a little harsh. Maybe some of these ppl complaining of ME do feel they are worth more than what they are being paid. The problem there could be, in some areas ME may be the only place hiring, even for an experienced CMT. Maybe these CMT's did "rough the trenches." However, I have read over and over again, more about the work environment than the wages. I do know a few CMT's that are at ME and they do not complain of wages, but the demands put on them. The first thing they emphasized when I went to school was to know your body's limits and if ME is pushing a person beyond those, they should be scrutinized. If a CMT blows their back and wrists out, then they make nothing. Now the CMT's I know were told they could set their own limits when they were hired. ME did not hold up their end of the bargain. Yes ppl should be grateful they have a job, And ksue it is very commendable that you can do all of these full time jobs, but that does not mean everybody can. You do not know a person's life circumstances. For a MT ksue, you do not sound very compassionate. I hope when you are massaging a sore or traumatized client, you do not feel they are weak because they cannot work as hard as you.
Sep 7, 2012 Solution by original poster
Highlighted