How to get a job at Raytheon.

Put in for about five different administrative positions and never heard back once other than the standard email that they received my application. I have over 20 years experience and all of the qualifications, so not really sure why it is so hard to get an interview. They must do all of their hiring from within the company.
5 Replies
Highlighted
Highlighted
I have lived in the Denver metro area for 7+ years. I have submitted my resume for years for the aurora campus, just a resume black hole!

Then, about 18 months ago I submitted it again and got a phone call and face-to-face interview within about 7-14 days. It was the first time submitting my resume to them with my Master's degree in Computer science (also B.S. in CS as well). I have 14+ years of experience as a SW engineer. I already had an active TS/SCI clearance from another company, which didn't seem to help get past the resume black hole. Maybe it was my M.S. degree + years of experience that got me in the door? Or perhaps it was just timing and sheer luck? (probably the latter).

What I have noticed in the last 18 months of working there is that 40-50% of the workforce there are A) Ethnic Minorities (black, asian, chinese, whatever), B) Women, or C) GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual Transgender), they even have an official GLBT raytheon site and club to join.

There is a double standard when it comes to work performance (and especially layoffs). It's VERY hard to lay off or fire anyone from A), B) OR C) category. But if you're a WHITE MALE, then it's A) HARDER to get in the door (even with a clearance), and B) EASIER to get LAID off when layoffs come around.

I just got laid off, they laid of 30 people, several of which were from the area I worked in, and all of them were WHITE MALES. Even though I personally know that the job performance of the other categories is "acceptable" or less, compared to their peers.

However, the majority of the people that work there are all very bright, and very hard working for the most part. Another reason it's hard to get in is because once you're in, you never leave because it's a pretty good company to work for. Great benefits and competitive total compensation. When someone retires or gets laid off it may create an opening later (if they win follow-on contracts down the road and have already laid off).
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
First of all, if you're over 55 don't even apply. I've applied to hundreds of jobs at Raytheon over the past 10 years and always receive their same response: "Your background and qualifications have been given careful review with respect to this position. Although you were not selected for this position, we appreciate your desire to expand your career." What that means is that you are too old to work at Raytheon. I asked several engineering managers if there was something I could do to improve my chances of getting hired. They said there was nothing I can do. They are not allowed to hire engineers unless they are recent graduates or have less than 5 years experience. Experience doesn't matter - just the Company's bottom line. The managers went on to say that they are losing their experienced people due to retirement or employees moving to another company. As such, they cannot replace them with qualified engineers, hence they are having a difficult time meeting their schedules and completing their projects.