Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NYS Correction Officer Exam & Process Updates - 2018

A fresh forum for those who took the exam in February 2018. Please feel free to join in if you took the exam before 2018 and are still going through the process, starting the academy, etc. All positive feedback is welcomed.

Comment your scores if you wish to share and any questions you may have if you took your exam this year. Those who took the exam before 2018, please comment what stage of the process you are in, your experience so far with the process and any other information you wish to share with us.

Update:
Exam date:::::::::::: Feb. 2018
Scores released::: April 2018

A representative from Albany has informed me that they are still going through the lower scores of the last exam. Those who scored 100, 95, 90 on the 2018 exam will be contacted at the end of summer/ beginning of fall. Those who scored lower should be contacted by the end of this year/ beginning of next year.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Its not a standard letter eye chart. You take off glasses or contacts when you get there and after 20 minutes or so you look at a picture in a machine then say which one has # in it. Then put on glasses or contact and do again with corrected vision. You can have lasik, but dont buy now. The union has great vision plan which can get your eyes fixed for low price. 

a week ago Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Yeah, you shoot those three. It's incredibly easy even if you've never fired a gun before. Just follow safety procedures..... You get like 7 tries with the glock. I've never personally encountered anyone who failed firearms. Although I guess I wouldn't because I'm on the job.  They will DQ you if you aren't safe though. 

Jul 5, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

I don't think so. The going rumor is they are closing 7-10 prisons and possibly furloughing based on seniority. I heard the bottom 3000 officers on the list for the state are all getting laid off. You might be able to go to the academy for 8 weeks, but you will not be on the job. 

Jul 5, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

I scored 75 as well. I feel I would’ve scored higher if it was an actual test , I did not qualify for all those other work experiences or the volunteering just basic work history , but yes at least we passed.    No They don’t want short   It just has to be pulled back and up in the academy after the academy , on the job   the hair can’t be below the collar line but I think it can be styled     So if you have long hair yours has to be up...I’m just trying to figure out what to with mine to make it easier to deal with.  

Jul 1, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

@JMC72852 

If i dont cut mine  im going to have use alot of gel and pins ...I just wish we would get our packets and get this started , my bosses know my plan and ask   " how much time do we have to get someone in here to train for your job "   LOL   I have no clue!!     

what did you score /rank?    if you dont want to answer here  send me a private message   im hoping we are close so we can possibly be in same class 

Highlighted
Highlighted

from what i was told and someone please correct me if im wrong :

in the academy you shoot a glock, shot gun and AR  and you have to shoot a specific amount of rounds  on the target?

JMC72852-  I dont know what to with my hair because its medium length , im seriously thinking about a buzz head so i dont have to deal with it lol    my one friend said even the first day you arrive it has to be up and all pulled back - no bangs , stragglers 

Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

that sucks, so you have to redo the whole thing again ? 

I have my pistol permit so im use to a gun ,      gyms are all closed , makes it hard to workout  because when I get home from work I dont feel like exercising   LOL ... 

what did the girls put in their hair to slick it all back ? mine is medium length so im trying to let it grow alittle longer so I can pull it back easier 

Jun 26, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted