Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't work for PetSmart

So many of the views shared left me feeling so disappointed in the human race. Not that this is a new feeling! I am sure that there are as many wonderful stores as there are deplorable stores. For those of you contemplating working at one of the stores I think you should question yourself on how you would react to the mentioned experiences. It only takes one person to make a difference. I would sincerely hope that if an employee is witness to bad management or mistreated animals that he or she could find a way to report this behavior without causing negative reactions. Remember that the bottom line is the animal and the moral responsibility to it. Bless those of you who care and do an amazing job!
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I am so happy I'm not the only one experiencing this. I was so excited to work for them because I am very knowledgeable and saw it as a great platform to reach people about proper pet care and animal welfare. I wasnt in specialty but in my first month, I was certified to work all departments. Your situation sounds EXACTLY like mine to a T! I thought it was just me but my mom used to work for Banfield and quit. She said b/c this same thing was happening to her. They wanted her to make sales like she worked the floor and got railed if she wasnt fulfilling her tech job. Every week, it feels rules/goals are being changed.
Sep 18, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I've been at PetSmart a year. I discovered I had ovarian cancer while working here, and coworkers joked about it calling me a "childless" "barren" and "spinster". They insult my intelligence because I'm "just a cashier". I was in a lot of pain one day, and I needed to leave but the acting manager would not allow me to leave. I was then written up for not giving my best customer service... while I was in pain. Its things like this no one needs this. While I was receiving the write up the manager said "don't cry" like, why would I cry? I cried once at work when I found out about my cancer. I think I am allowed. I contacted HR and I'm filing a report against the store. The store is infested with rodents and roaches and covered in dog pee. Its dusty and there's cobwebs all over. Its a health hazard. I can go on but I don't want to write a book here. If you end up working at PetSmart, keep your head down, do not talk to your coworkers, and find another job as soon as you can.
Aug 19, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I'm a cashier at a PetSmart in California. My floor manager hates when I call him to the register and I hate having to call him to the register. The way the store is run is just inefficient. Its demeaning to stand there like a lumpy potato and call a manager to help me when I know I could handle the situation myself. I have been in customer service for over 7 years and working here has turned me off to the field. I have two interviews next week, one as a security guard.
Aug 19, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I have only worked at petsmart about a month but it is so unorganized which has already put me in multiple unsafe situations. I worked at a pet hotel before that was a mom and pop shop and had to leave due to the lack of hours and I thought that it being a corporate company it would be better but absolutely not. The day camp classes put you alone in a room with a bunch of dogs and usually in a room with a class wall for customers to look in. They bring their dogs and stay there which often causes some dogs to get irritated and aggressive or they let their kids bang on the glass. We are required to have walkie talkies to call if we need anything and one day I called twice about one dog that kept started fights but no one came and then a fight between 5 dogs broke out and I called for help and still no one came and I was alone in the large dog camp with dogs fighting. If something had happened, no one would have been aware for a while it was 2 hours before someone came within a distance to hear me yelling for them. The same day the girl in the small dog camp called for one dog being aggressive and another dog either coughing or wheezing and no one responded to her either.
Mar 24, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
I think you're just trying to make trouble and you're clearly just a big jerk. She's absolutely right. The customer is supposed to get what they need and it's supposed to get service. I grant use some customers are nicer people than others but without customers you don't have a store. So if a customer's dog goes on the floor because the customer is really busy and picked up the dog from the groomer and it needed to go to the bathroom actually somebody at the store should have been available to take the dog out. And if they can't do that and they're told the customer that and they're so busy with their kids and their life but now the dog has to go to the bathroom and it's peed on the ground as a customer I would expect some assistance. I would expect someone to politely hand me a towel and some soap or someone to say to me with a smile no problem I've got that and clean it up. Probably the ladder more likely. Not because I'm a princess but because even though I would feel terrible that that happened the reality is I'm in a pet store and I brought my dog in to be groomed and I'm a client. That's how it is. She's right she had punched out and the manager should have taken care of it. Insulting your clients and finding fault with them doesn't change the fact that without these clients who don't have a store and you don't have a living. Stop arguing with her and get on with your life. She's right you are wrong anybody reading this can see that you're a total loser
Jan 5, 2019 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
anonymous
I was a manager working for the Moorestown, NJ PetSmart when a new store manager took over in September 2017. I among other employees and managers were bullied by this store manager out of our jobs. I too was afraid to speak up or go over his head due to the consequences of I did. I walked out on the job i enjoyed doing. Funny thing is corporate or someone knew of his bullying ways when they transferred him there. I wouldn't recommend working there to anyone now because corporate didn't fix that situation for those wronged.
Jul 12, 2018 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I feel the same way,... It's all about who can sell the most stuff. And if we don't meet their percentages we get talked to about it. The fact that everyone is doing what we can and it's still not good enough. They have to yell at the salon manager to make us do better. Working here is all about the money. Not about the employees or customers. It's all kinda depressing...
Jun 15, 2017 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
This is why I'll be leaving. I'm a manager and we are expected to do more than is humanly possible. I have a large workload of physical work but then I'm also expected to be the only manager on duty, respond to every customer issue, approve every single price change or whatever at the registers, supervise employees, submit multiple reports that are due every day, keep the store and the receiving room set up the way they are supposed to be, re-set displays (constant!), temporarily set displays for sales, change signage, etc. You barely start a project and you are being called to the register or a customer needs help, because there is no staffing in dog/cat for the purpose of helping customers, so how do you get everything done? You can't but then you are in trouble when you don't. Poorly paid, ridiculous demands and they do not fire slackers or people with bad attitudes so you are constantly dealing with them.

I am not in Atlanta. I don't know why that came up that way.
Apr 30, 2017 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
My store has caring and compassionate managers and staff. I have seen an appropriate amount of attention payed to both the training of associates and treatment of the pets in our care. Over a decade in the pet store/shelter facility field, I have many horror stories. I can only speak for my store managers and co-workers...and I believe we do the best job possible balancing the needs of the pets with the appeasement of corporate obligations. On the store level is where problems exist, it is there that they are best resolved, NOT CORPORATE. I can only wish for you the lucky draw I got upon hire in my location, managers and leads that want you to succeed, listen to associates, and genuinely care about the well being of our animals. Not every store is the same, in fact they differ greatly upon the demographic. I am vouching for mine, good luck folks.
Nov 4, 2016 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I work for petsmart as a cashier and a bather.
A few weeks ago my store manager was supposed to give me hours on the floor because the salon head hired in to many people and gave them my hours. Store manager never gave me hours for two weeks, even though she told the salon head she would.

Last week she calls me into the office (sm) to tell me that the groomers say I am unreliable, only to be told by the salon head no one has said anything like that the very next day.

Who should I call about this?
Oct 15, 2016 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I've been working for petsmart for nearly 5 years, and recently we had a new store open up. The store manager for the new store was interviewing associates for management positions. My associate leader put in a transfer request and got the position at the new store. With a new position available at my store I was going ask for an opportunity to interview for it. But before I even found out the position was open, they had already given the position away to another associate. The associate they gave the position to was an associate I trained when they had first started. I feel like my store is playing favorites. I've been bugging my management team for years about becoming a manager and I've been passed up without even so much as an interview and I'm not sure what to do anymore.
Sep 12, 2016 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
And I have one word for the CARELINE.....JOKE!!! We had people call because managers are forcing associates to sell animals to people who are suspected of using for live feeders. Petsmart supposedly "sell pets not feeders" is a huge joke. When reported to Careline, like everything else that is reported" it's swept away and ignored. And in this one instance the employee was actually written up because of the CRO that was sent to corporate. And before anything is said about just "being a suspicions", there was someone that walk in and asked specifically for a feeder and was told we don't sell live feeders then wanted to buy something else and was denied. Because the gentleman was black and told corporate that we were racists and this is why we wouldn't sell to him, even though he had just asked for live feeders, it was soothed over and oh yeah they sent him a gift card. So before anyone recommends the illustrious CARELINE just realize that it don't mean crap. And like their policies and procedures, it is a pick and choose whatever works for them at the time. They do not care about their employees, the animals, or anything else that stands in the way of them making money. And they sure as hell won't have your back.
Jul 7, 2016 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
In reading these comments I want to add a few things. I don't mind the selling of training classes and puppy kits, because it is a retail company and the bottom line is money.
My issues are with management. It is very frustrating when there is obvious favoritism going on. One person gets written up for a minor issue, but when another does something worse, it's a "oh well" attitude. If someone brings up something the manager turns it around to what they have done wrong and ignores the issue at hand. The careline is a joke. They will figure out who said what and there will be consequences. Everyone in our store is sick, and we keep passing it around because if we try to call out, our manager talks manipulating and makes you come in. Yet he leaves early when he wants to and takes days off whenever he wants to.
I love working with customers and selling is what I do best, but it has become a struggle to go to work everyday.
Nov 19, 2015 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
As someone who just quit from PetSmart a week ago, I must tell you to NEVER EVER work there!

I was initially hired as a Dog Bather for the salon and everything was fine until I came in for training the first day. My salon manager, the person who was supposed to train me forgot I was coming in that day and assumed I had already gotten my employee number and everything when I was not told anything! She forgot to test me for Splash, the salon saftey test as well so I had to come in again to finish that.
In the salon, not only did my salon manager tell me straight up that she didn't have time to train me, she stuck me with a bather who was nice but didn't stay with me to make sure I was doing everything right. She sorta just showed me how to do everything and then expected me to figure out the rest. Also, I had only been in the salon for maybe two shifts when I was left alone for practically all of my shift. My manager was supposed to work with me for the last two hours of the shift, but she called out sick and NO ONE was called to replace her. I was in a panic since I WASN'T TRAINED IN THE COMPUTER SYSTEM to book appointments and the store manager at the time was too busy helping out everyone else in the store. I was super stressed and trying to write all the appointments that couldn't reschedule down on a piece of paper for my manager. The rest were trying to schedule for future days I had to turn them away because I simply did not know how to work the booking. Not only did that make me appear incompetent, but it shot my stress level through the roof. Did I mention that I had a dog to FURMINATE (our deshedding treatment)? My salon manager was finally called in because the store manager got pissed at her for leaving me alone. She came in with a pissed off attitude and the next person who called the salon she picked up and ranted about how "people can't do their jobs anymore". DON"T WORK FOR PETSMART THEY WONT TRAIN YOU.
Aug 28, 2015 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
My advice to everyone? Absolutely NEVER EVER work for PetSmart. They abuse the dogs in their care, they abuse their employees, and you are either part of them or you aren’t. Everyone at my store is miserable, constantly talking about how they want to quit (including my salon manager who had been making plans outside of work to open up her own shop), and for $8 the injuries, stress, and bs is not worth it.

Save your talent and find another place to work at before PetSmart steals another soul.

Side Note: As a bather if you inform a groomer that you need to take your break or lunch they will flat out tell you no, and then brag about how they got a lunch and that's really all that matters. There is no respect in the store for bathers, and people on the floor hate groomers.
Aug 6, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I had a doctor’s appointment for my shoulder the next day, and went in with the bite on my neck exposed. Turns out in the state of Wisconsin it is illegal not to report a dog bite, and the doctor was easily able to tell what the mark was on my neck and I told her the story of how it happened. Mind you, I was amused by the story. My first day on full work duty and I was bit by a pitbull! What are the odds!? It was then that she informed me she legally had to report the bite, regardless of where it happened. I also needed to get a tetanus shot, and have the bite looked at medically. So I returned to work to let them know what had happened, and get the rabies information of the dog that bit me for medical reasons. They filed a report, the police got involved, and I got my shot and was put on antibiotics.

Ever since I was bit, almost a week ago now, the salon’s attitude towards me has changed. They keep booking me with a large dog every hour for my six hour shifts, and the store has been denying me any breaks or lunch breaks. I am absolutely on my last straw, and everyone is being rude and punishing me for reporting the dog bite.

Continued
Highlighted
Right away the pit bull was giving me attitude on the table. He would pull his feet and growl, baring his teeth at me just for touching him. So, I used the groomers loop to keep his head in place and continued trying to get his nails. I got to his last paw when he finally decided he couldn’t handle it anymore, and he snarled and bit at my shoulder. He got my smock instead, and I waited for a groomer to become available to help hold him.

A groomer became available, and together we tried unsuccessfully to clip his last paw. He was snarling, biting, and we finally decided we couldn’t do it any longer. All I had to do now was get his harness back on so he could go home. However, he would no longer let any of us near him. We put him on the floor to try again, and each time he snapped at me I moved away to prevent being bitten. This pissed off the three groomers there in the salon watching me, including the one “helping" me by standing there watching. She finally yelled at me to hurry up, I went in over him to get the harness on, and he jumped up and bit me in the neck, breaking the skin with two teeth. They hurried to rush me out of the salon to clean off the blood because they didn’t want the pet parent to know their dog had bit me.

Continued
Highlighted
The next incident happened when I was bathing a large older husky (over 10 years) who became so stressed she could no longer stand in the bath area. So I turned off the hydrosurge and began to pet and talk to her to help calm her down. I sat there for half an hour before she could stand on her own again, and continued the process. Finally got her dried and back in her kennel when the salon manager began to ‘scold’ me for taking too long with her, telling me that I needed to learn better time management. I tried explaining that the husky needed a break, and she told me the dog was fine and giving her breaks actually made it worse.

A few days later I was being rushed on a large lab that had to be held by a second associate for nails. She was flipping on the table, trying to throw herself off, and genuinely panicking. I tried to give her a break and was again scolded for not going fast enough. Finally got her nails done, bath done, and had her in the back to be velocity dried. I had to perch myself over her, bracing myself against the wall, in order to dry her underside when she freaked out again and knocked me over. I smashed my left shoulder into the wall, bruising the bone and nerves. Went to the doctor the next day where I was put on light duty for two weeks.

On my first day of full duty I was assigned a six hour shift with a dog every hour, like all of my normal shifts were. As a bather I have to do every walk in even if there is a groomer available with no dog on the schedule. A walk in came in right before my last dog of the day, a pit bull. His pet parent warned me he was dog aggressive, but even though there were other dogs in the salon that day I was told to go ahead and do his nails anyway.

Continued
Highlighted
I immediately told my salon manager that no, I couldn’t do that. She told me everyone else in PetSmart has been able to do the one dog an hour policy just fine with zero complaints, and that I had to as well. I explained that some dogs would get too stressed if I rushed them, and she told me the dogs would be more stressed if I didn’t rush them. Then I tried to explain to her that if I rushed I wouldn’t be able to do as good of a job, and she told me that pet parents can’t tell the difference between a hack job and a quality groom.

I started applying to other jobs that afternoon, but haven’t had any luck yet and with summer being almost over there aren’t many places willing to hire a college student who cannot committee to full time work during the school semester.

I went on working at PetSmart with as big a smile as I could manage. I witnessed groomers yelling at dogs, threatening to hit dogs, and a complete breakdown of the ‘lie’ they had been trying to force feed me for the past month. I informed my store manager and assistant manager that no, I could never be a groomer, and they promised to get me out of the salon and on the floor. It still hasn’t happened yet over a month later.

Continued
Highlighted
Next they explained that they wanted me to either stick around and become a groomer (I denied that option, I've seen the damage grooming did to my mother making more money than any PetSmart groomer could pull in due to the corporation's horrible commission policy) or they wanted to work me into management and cross train me in every department by the end of summer. I said that would be lovely, I'll cross train and see what happens. Lie number two.

As a bather they only want you to work as a bather, forever and ever, or move onto grooming where they really leach the money off of you. Unless you get hired into another department, the moment you tell them "No, I cannot groom" you're useless to them and they'll just hold onto you until you finally quit.

Everything was fine for the first month. I refused to do a dog an hour because I refused to rush. Rushing led to injuries and once a dog gets stressed I let them rest for however long they needed. Everyone was fine with this policy until the last week of my first month there, when I was informed that company policy required I do one dog an hour, every hour until my shift was done.

Continued
Highlighted
So, I started at PetSmart a little over 2 months ago. Grew up in the grooming business (my mom owns her own shop and I grew up helping out) so they snatched me up as soon as my application went in. I'm currently living out of state for college, so I couldn't work for my mother anymore.

First of all, they only offer $8 an hour for bather. No more, more less. They are the highest paying non-factory work employers in the area I live in though, unless you work for the college which I do during the school semester and not the summer.

Anyway, I knew it would be hell going in. My mom and I groomed the dogs PetSmart left too abused to able to stand up on a table on their own any longer. I told them all the horror stories I had seen with my own eyes and expressed my worry about working there, and the managers all sat down with me and assured me it wouldn't be like that at all. After all, we were a small town and there wasn't that much business anyway. Lie number one.

Continued
Highlighted
I worked at petsmart for maybe 5 months. When they first hired me they had me train for everything which I thought everyone did. Later found out it wasn't so. Then I bounced around and did probably every possible job there not knowing really what I was supposed to do. I was making $8 an hour 30 hours a week even though I was promised 40. Obviously I was on a tight budget. It was an extremely stressful job and we weren't allowed to "be friends" with other employees. One was actually threatened to be fired bc he offered to buy me lunch, even though the managers knew that most days the lunch I brought was the only meal I ate a day due to lack if money to buy any. Last straw was when I got written up for passing out from hunger while on the clock, as if I could help it...
Mar 5, 2014 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I'll chime in and say my store is pretty cool. I work in grooming. Corp has a lot of silly rules and regulations probably drawn up by somebody that has never worked in-store but I don't have any complaints about how the store is managed and everyone is pretty nice. Sales aren't as important as taking care of the dogs/cats that come into the salon. Nobody's pushing groomers to do x amount of dogs per hour. Some can do more than others and that's fine, they get more slots. I keep reading and hearing that salon workers in other stores are pressed to do too many dogs and I'm glad that's not the case here.

When I was hired I had two interviews. Don't let the posts here discourage you from applying at PS. You should get a good feel in the interview if your management really cares about the animals or all they're seeing is dollar signs.
Oct 20, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
In the break room there is a poster that has your regional hr managers name and number on it. If you are uncomfortable talking to management or your dm, this is a great point of contact. No one wants to have someone who is becoming ill due to the job to be suffering...in fact petsmart as a whole values job satisfaction and morale.
Jan 23, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I work at a location in Canada, and I must say, reading these comments makes me feel like im not alone. I am noticing alot of favouritism in my location and its very frustrating. Because I don't have children, a house, married, etc, i get treated differently. I don't get the same respect level as some. My health has been quite terrible lately and I have missed some work, AND I always have documentation to prove these things, yet I still get treated like im lying to them. I want to leave but i have signed that god forsaken contract and i know if i leave, that large amount of cash will come to bite me. my health problems have been caused straight from grooming. am allergic to dogs which is causing severe exczema. thats the other frustrating part, yet i still do it for the love of what i do. management is aware of this, yet i still get treated poorly. the best part of this, i asked for a transfer and my manager wont give it to me because of my health issues. ive had emotional break downs to my managers about how i get treated and how i cant handle it and all they do is reassure me with comforting words and thats it. my salon manager dislikes me to all ends and the feeling is quite mutual and because of this, our work environment is absolutely terrible!!! we yell at eachother almost everyday. if i switch to part time, i lose my benefits. so, im stuck working in an environment that is causing physical and emotional pain. how do i get out of this. suggestions... please. and realistic opinions would be great.
Jan 18, 2013 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
I havn't worked here very long but I'm already frustrated with them. I have never worked somewhere where they wouldnt let you clock in even one minute early. Here everyone else is complaining they cant get their employees to be on time and petsmart might as well encourage you to be late. Even though your required to have a 15 minute break if you work so many hours, i never get mine. We arent supposed to talk to other employees unless its only about petsmart programs, even if its slow and your still working. The managers dont trust any of the employees and some of them are unprofessional and gossip about employees behind their backs. At my location, they dont post the new schedual until sunday, so even if you dont work that day, you still have to come in to see when you work next. Some of the employees in the salon have had manegment ask them to water down some of the roduct to save a bit on money. I find it very wrong for them to ask them to lower the quality of work just to save the company a few bucks.
Dec 17, 2012 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I have questions on an issue of annual leave: I lost my annual vacation pay because my manager thought I would get paid at the end of the year automatically, if I did not use it. He is a good man, but he made a mistake that cost me financially as well as ethically, I lost my trust in him for not fighting for me, and the company as well. Payroll was notified today about my grievance, so I am waiting to determine my route. I am not sure if I even have a route, but surely a multi billion corporation which is supposed to be people friendly cannot be doing this, but the Care Line or HR will be my next step. Over 90% of our store's non management team is part time and I wonder how much money PetSmart is saving by using this method. Surely there may be a class action lawsuit if I cannot get this remedied. Why isnt there a default to kindly just pay us if unused?
Sep 18, 2011 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
All these problems that everyone is complaining about. I have one answer
CALL THE CARELINE or call HR. Corporate WILL investigate the issues, and try to fix them. But they cant do anything if no one tells them.
And if your store has wiring/rodents issues. Call OSHA and report it. But dont tell ANYONE at your work that you did.
Jun 5, 2011 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I have a question for you current and former petsmart employees. I help with a non-profit and we have a former employee who is leading training classes with all fees going to our non-profit. She isn't getting paid to lead our beginners class, she is volunteering. On our literature as part of her bio it says X "is a Y-year-old former PetSmart training instructor (now private instructor), an AKC Certified Canine Good Citizen Evaluator and has owned, loved, and trained animals for most of her life." This person hasn't worked at petsmart for over a year and I know trainers by their contract can't train for 6 months after they leave but it is way past that deadline.

Now the manager of our petsmarts says we have to remove this from our documents that it is an infringes on Petsmart and their policies. I just think it is odd and just wondering your opinion on it. We aren't saying anything negative about petsmart and it is a true fact that this person use to be a trainer there. But he is making a issue of it. I know they don't like that we are offering training but we would be crazy not to follow up on this opportunity. People are signing up and exciting about the class. So just wondering what your opinion was on it since you all have more knowledge about petsmart and if we are doing anything wrong.
Jan 21, 2011 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I worked for petsmart for 2 years. It was horrible! We went through associates like crazy! There were only 2 good managers the whole time I was there and they werent there at the same time. We had a manger who would give his cell number out to customers and he was married!! There were rumors going around the store about him with under age girls and about him doing inappropriate things with associates and people he was interviewing. Corporate knew about this and did nothing!!! There was another manager who would make sexual comments to associates. The training was horrible and they wanted me to do some of the training off the clock. I did my training ON the clock and I asked people who had been there for awhile to show me how to do things. However the mangers and most associates did everything incorrectly in that store!! Most people only did thing correctly when corporate visited. I knew how to do the managers job better than they did yet they cut my hours and increased the hours of the airheads who couldnt even work the register. So glad to be out of there!!
Jan 15, 2011 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
You're right there there is pressure at PetSmart to accept any dog no matter what your instincts; tell you. Most of the associates that work in the Grooming Salon have lifetime scars. It is not worth becoming permanently disfigured; to contribute to PetSmart's profit margin.
Sep 17, 2010 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
It's always worth a try by applying to PetSmart. For those of you who may be reading these posts in order to get an idea of how it is working at PetSmart, don't let all the negative comments discourage you. There may be some bad stores, but there are also good ones too. It's the luck of the draw I suppose. If it's really bad you could always just quit. I truly am grateful to be part of such a great team at my store.
Mar 11, 2010 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I am blessed to be an employee at a great store. Great managers, awesome staff overall, and our customers are kind and polite, even returning carts and picking up their own animals waste! We opened June 2008 and it's been a slow but steady start to attract customers. We are the second of two stores in our area, the other being older and being in a more centrally located area. It's just bizarre to me how out of 20 some stores in the same district, they're all different. The store five miles from us smells funky and gets horrible customer service. I walked through the pet care department one time and nothing was faced, the animals habitats were trashed and looked like they hadn't been cleaned for a long time, and the fish tanks were slimy and had floaters all over.

Now, being a pet care associate I really care about the animals at our store. But our pet suppliers suck. PetSmart's "vet assured" program is UTTER BULLCRAP. AT LEAST one animal out of our shipments is ill, or dies within a day in the new arrival room. Out of five sliders we got in last week, three had shell rot and some other unknown disease, and two have died so far. You'd think that PetSmart would change suppliers or something, but they don't. My Pet Care Manager is one of the coolest women alive. She cares about the department and the animals even though she was just tossed in the position without much training. When we had three birds die on us, she actually teared up a little. I think it's great that my manager's care. Our store manager and operations manager work together to make our store a great place to work at. Almost all of the employees get along. We have a few knuckleheads that will eventually end up quitting I'm sure.

So for those of you who have had bad experiences with PetSmart while working there, I'm sorry for your experience! I feel blessed to have such a great store and to be able to come to work without hating my job!
Mar 11, 2010 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
How old do yu have to be to work at petsmart? I cant find it on there site.Im 16 and i want a better job.I have worked at Mc Donalds since i was 14 and im so sick of it. The petsmart im looking at is in coon rapids minnesota by the way if that helps. I just want a job working with animals sand at least to get out of Mc Donalds. THANKS!
Feb 21, 2010 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
I work for PetSmart in the Salon as a bather. I transferred nearly 5 months ago to a new salon and I am trying to get my W-2. I talked to my store director, but I was wondering if anyone knew the website where we do our paperless stuff online. I just wanna file my taxes but my Managers really haven't been all that helpful. Help please!
Feb 3, 2010 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Sounds like many people have had lots of problems with petsmart. But everywhere you work will have either crappy managers or good ones. Thats everywhere. I am a salon manager and I can honeslty say that I NEVER let anyone miss there lunch or work through it. This line of work breaks are a must. Its a very hard job, but if you love showing your creative side through grooming pets, and enjoying being around them then its worth it. It always makes me feel good when my dogs look good and they prance around knowing it too. Or when you get a horrible pet parent that let there dog get so badly matted that it feels like cement all over the poor dog, its a good feeling when you make that poor baby feel SO much better. And as far as managers go..I have had good, and horrible. But depending on what positon you are in or heading toward in petsmart it can be a good job for you. And yes I agree bathers get horrible pay and have very hard jobs. When I was a bather a long time ago we got comm. it was nice..then they changed to hourly. Sucks. I wouldn't be a bather unless you were going to be a groomer. That gives you something to work hard for. If ya just need a job..be a cashier.
Jan 6, 2010 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I do agree with groommgr. It does sound like an unpleasant store. I'd definitly look for another store to transfer to. PetSmart doesn't necessarily "write you up" and if someone said that to you, I'd probably call the CareLine and report that manager (that's negative reinforcement and we're not into that). We like to call it a coaching. If used correctly, it is to help you develop your talent and skill and help create a "culture oriented" retainable employee. I wouldn't worry, but look into a transfer.
Sep 18, 2009 Solution by original poster