Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Year Degree and can't get a decent job with it

I've got a two year degree in Individual studies at Alfred State College. You'd think that having any degree would do me some good in finding a decent job right?
But all I seem to be able to get are really crappy jobs.
What kinds of jobs would I qualify for with this type of degree? Individual studies is a lot like a liberal arts degree.
And this is without of course having to go back to college for further training...a lot of jobs require a bachelors but right now I've got 40,000 in debt and I can't afford to go back to school. I'd like to be able to make enough just so I can move out and be on my own. Instead I've got what seems to be a useless peice of paper with a title on it.
Can anyone offer me any advice?
Highlighted
I've got a two year degree in Individual studies at Alfred State College. You'd think that having any degree would do me some good in finding a decent job right?
What kinds of jobs would I qualify for with this type of degree? Individual studies is a lot like a liberal arts degree.
And this is without of course having to go back to college for further training...a lot of jobs require a bachelors but right now I've got 40,000 in debt and I can't afford to go back to school. I'd like to be able to make enough just so I can move out and be on my own. Instead I've got what seems to be a useless peice of paper with a title on it.
May 21, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
May 21, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Ouch. Anything less then a Bachelor's degree doesn't much count, and a liberal arts BA today only qualifies you for grad school. A two year degree only is helpful if its in something technical or scientific.

You can always inventory your skills and experience after college to find what your strengths are. I created a form for my resume clients that I made downloadable for the people on the forums here at career-hunter.home.comcast.net/files/CHI_Client_History.pdf

Please also free to browse www.career-hunter.info for what I have learned over the years in hiring, being hired and helping clients get hired.
May 22, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Where is nearest big city next to Arkport,NY?
I hate to tell you this but a two-year Liberal Arts degree is pretty much useless for high paying job.
But it may get you in the door to be an Administrative Assistant and hopefully after proving yourself you may be able to move up to different job.

What did you expect to do what that degree anyway? Job wise that is.

A two year degree is best obtained from a Community college and maybe take some advance classes or online classes that you might be able to get from a 4 year university connected with that CC.

Hope this help you out.
Sep 13, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I'd be really happy to get an administrative position, or something as a receptionist. I'm great with computers and that's what I was hoping to get with my degree. But I havn't had any luck...and the nearest cities are about an hour or more away.
I'm thinking about returning to college, if I can get the right funding for it. If I wait one more year I won't have to use my parent's income anymore and I could just count my own.
I'd like to take up Video Game Programming and design...there's a growing market for that...and you can do a lot with said degree I'm reading. You can even make simulations for the military, re-create crime scenes for crime scene investigators...or create video games. I'd love working for Sega. XD
Sep 13, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Getting in to the game industry is pretty tough and the hours are long(>80 per week at times).

Did you take any computer programming courses before?

If you haven't you should keep your options open and do something that interest you.

Also keep in mind that you will most likely have to move considering where you are right now.

Also be prepared to put time in on your own personal projects so that you can show companies a portfolio of your programming talents. Just doing things in school will not cut it anymore like it use to.

But good luck.
Sep 14, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
No kidding. Doesn't even matter whether it is form a "good" school or not. I have a Bachelor's from a "Name" school that does well in the NCAA BB tourneys. But because it isn't a IEEE BS (I did a self-directed double major in PR/Ethics) it is simply a $40K scrap of paper to hang in the outhouse. It means NOTHING to an employer - especially if you are over 30.
Sep 24, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Heres the bottom line...Your degree is what you make of it. You have to market yourself and your abilities to the right people, the right way. If you have the right attitude and the confidence, you can do whatever you want. I have an Associates in Business Admin. and I have done everything from Store Manager in fast food (33k) to Licensed Personal Banker at Chase (40k+). I live in a small town in Michigan, and let me tell you we are so depressed in Michigan it's not even funny. Keep your chin up and look outside the box.
Sep 25, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Ummm... only if you are a "happy shiny smiley" Extrovert.

If you are a Introvert/Aspie who doesn't "do" the absurd small-talk/schmooze/gladhandling emotional prostitution that Estroverted Neurotypicals seem to demand then competence, attitude, confidence, &/or degree means squat.
Highlighted
No one wants to be around grumpy, silent loners. Humans communicate on a lot of levels, and much of the small-talk is inane.

But most humans start a conversation with "How are you?" expecting not a recitation of ills, pains and complaints but a simple "Great, and you?" that lets us know that we can get on with the business of business without having to fear the other person.

An "Introvert/Aspie who doesn't 'do' the absurd small-talk/schmooze/gladhandling emotional prostitution" will be looked at as a loner who doesn't communicate or work well in teams.
Highlighted
Perhaps you should research Aspergers Syndrome a bit more before just engaging in the typical Neurotypical discrimination.

As a matter of FACT, not theory, I cannot decipher emotional interactions, "read faces" or adequately "correctly" engage in social banter. It is, in fact, a pervasive developmental disability that can only be compensated for, not "made better".

You won't find a more tenacious, dedicated researcher/analyst/whatever - so long as you give me a task and leave me the hell alone.

So, as a Career Professional, do yourself a favor and find out more Aspergers and how to tailor at least a part of your program to that segment f the job market that has a doubly hard time.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
WOW!!
I wasn't intending on starting the next personality war. I was simply stating that it is about believing in yourself. You dont have to be introverted or extroverted to do that. Sure each will engage you differently, but it all begins from within yourself. Your road will lead you where you want to go, but it all starts inside you. Clearly the extrovert doesn't desire the same as the introvert, still each can achieve their goals, and or desires by first believing in themselves. Hence the comment, "it's what YOU make of it"
Oct 1, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I appreciate the challenges of disabling conditions on workers. I was diagnosed with acute ADD at the age of 44 and my wife has been hospitalized for, and continues to deal with chronic, debilitating depression.

The Americans with Disabilities Act was meant to address some of these issue. But the reality is that those who exhibit symptoms of Aspergers, depression, ADD or schizophrenia will be at a disadvantge to those who do not.

I appreciate your thought on my self-education, but I write resumes to help highlight achievements and marketable skills, and am not in the field of helping others highlight their disabilities when it makes it harder for them to get a job.
Oct 6, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I have a 2 year degree and have taken lots cont. ed classes over the years. I am currently enrolled in an online class through Villanova U in Project Management.....attitude is key. I have never had a problem getting a job, and have been moving up the corporate ladder. Education is helpful, attitude is more important. I believe in myself and my skills, and market myself as needed.
Oct 15, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
There is a saying, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS." These days if you can't do BS, you don't get in the door to show people your brilliance. I had someone do me a "marketing letter and resume, and the interviews started rolling in. Unfortunately, though the interviews seem very cordial and sometimes I am even told that I am exactly what they are looking for, I never hear back when they promise to call. When I call them, I am told that the position has been filled. I don't know how to learn BS. I have an AA, a BA, and an MA. With each degree I have gotten, my pay has DE-creased. I have paid all of my loans off. Now I am tempted to go back to school, where I at least succeed. Is there a Ph D in BS?
Oct 16, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
You are not alone. BS degree in Business here. Wasted money, wasted time. The career center at my college is a joke. The jobs that I have applied to I have been qualified if not over qualified for and nothing. On the few interviews that I have had they have mainly been scam type jobs. On the real interview that I had, I was told the company wanted to increase growth by 25 percent in a year. Well, the smart thing I could have done was smile and say "I can make it happen". Unfortunately, knowing that this company had 4major competitors in the local market and that 25 percent is highly unrealistic for any company unless they have a niche market or no competition. I proceeded to spout off that 10 percent is more attainable than 25 percent based on XYZ factors.
What I have learned in college= cronyism is still rampant, companies are looking for everything and not wanting to pay compensation for skill sets, and a BA/BS degree is the equivalent to having a HS diploma 15 years ago. PS Don't waste your time in college unless you want to be an accountant/nurse/lawyer/doctor. Save your money and time and go to a technical trade school. Colleges are just mere corporations that are after profit.
Nov 7, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
For what its worth, I am a 47 year old Configuration Manager with no degree. I have done pretty well. I make just over 100K, after years of slowly increasing my skills and knowledge on the job. The problem is that a year and a half ago the company I had worked for 16 years moved to Texas. It took a while to find a similar job, and I could be in better control of who I work for, but my resume does not get the attention it deserves primarily because I lack a degree.

I have finally gone back to school and am halfway there. My advice to anyone frustrated about not getteting work is to do anything. Take whatever is available, and work your ass off and learn. If there is anyway at all, go to school, or keep going. It is much harder to do this when you are older with a family.

I have a friend who at 32 moved back home and took a cafeteria job in a local college just so that she could go to that school. She now has her degree at a good job. It was a long struggle. It will always be a struggle for all of us.

As the economy worsens the uneducated will last to get the interviews, regardless of talent. Often regardless of experience. It's not fair, but it is an undeniable reality. Even if you are satisfactorily employed now, there will likely come a time you might need to hit the sidewalk again for work. Automated website applications now make it a certainty that non-degreed persons get put on the bottom of the pile. And a two year degree simply appears to be a job half done.

Good luck my fellow uneducated job seekers
Nov 7, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
If you want a gurantee when you graduate, then go into the allied health professions. Otherwise get a technical degree at a two year college. Technology is not going away, and you will surely have many opportunities. Electronic technicians can make over 20 bucks an hour.
Dec 11, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Business degrees are dead. Everybody has one, and I would not care if you had a degree from Harvard, if you dont have expirenece running a company, then I would not hire you to run my million dollar corporation either. I would hire you for entry level and then see how you perform. Gotta crawl before you walk.
Highlighted
I have to join and and say that in my line of work, I have seen many people at all levels and all walks of life.

I have worked with people with no degree who manage to get in with a good company just by luck (networking). Of course, having a great resume helps...but they did all of the hard work. 😉

I have also worked with people that hold multiple degrees (e.g two Bachelor's & one Master's) who cannot get a job to save their life.

There are so many factors that go into an individual job search that it's hard to tell what the problem is. It could be...

... that you have a resume that doesn't highlight your skills
... the local unemployment situation
... the time of year (my customers report it's VERY hard to get hired in November/December)
... how aggressive or passive you are in your job hunt
... that you don't have a solid network
... that your online presence may highlight only your bad traits (e.g. lewd MySpace page)
... that your resume, cover letter, or e-mail is full of spelling mistakes or stuff like 'PLZ' and 'TY' instead of real words
... that your e-mail address is risque (I actually had someone e-mail me with a resume review request with a reference to oral sex in the e-mail address)
... how you present yourself in an interview (if you get one)

I just thought I'd toss in my .02 for what it's worth! 🙂
Highlighted
The Medical Field is the best option for some. But if you have no interest in science, then you have to realize that in all professions, there is a starting salary. If it makes you guys feel a little better, a starting salary in your career choice, is better then no salary at all.

MBA's are flooded, but I do think it will get you a job at least at the lower level. My wife, has an associates in business and accounting, she is now an EXA and CPHT for Walgreens Pharmacies. She recieves a base salary of over 40k, plus a yearly bonus. There is always the retail management sector. If nothing else, it will give you managerial expirence.
Highlighted
Starting a business is not impossible. I think it takes alot of research, a passion for it is you want to do, and you cant be afraid to fail. There are no easy answers, me personally I have always dreamed of being a writer. When I can figure out how to successfully start my own magazine, I will probably do so. Research and development, is the firt step in starting a successful business. At least in my opinion.
Highlighted
Electronic technicians make $20/hr, if you can find a job that is. The thing about just quoting numbers is that sure, $20/hr sounds good, but if only 40% of graduates actually end up getting one of those jobs, then that's not giving you the whole picture is it?
Dec 20, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
There are surely no gurantees in life. If you want a gurantee, then go into the allied health professions. It is by no means easy at this current time to get a job, especially being a young graduate with little work expirence. It is a hard decision to make. I went back to school, and at my age I have only one shot. It is hard for me to figure out what to pursue, and I am a certified professional and a prior service army veteran. I have alot of life expirence and even Iam stuck. However, in my own opinion the health professions are the way to go. Otherwise you maybe better off learning a trade.

Steve R.
Dec 20, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I wish the working your butt of part was true. I tried that for my twenties. I turn thirty next year. I also have 3 degrees. Bottom line is without knowing the right people, your resume means crap. Also, most companies reward mediocrity and loyalty over intelligence and diligence so that makes it difficult to succeed as well. Having a business is hard too. I have a side art business that I love with all of my heart and I can't live on the money I make from it. I don't have a day to day 9-5 since early fall because the most recent exploit I experienced was that I was being demanded to do both my job and my recently departed supervisor job, both, no exaggeration, for no change in title or pay. Then, they brought someone in with a HS diploma to take her title and salary while I do the work. I am not exaggerating. This was not a set up for me to prove myself...the company made it clear in writing that there would be no raises or promotions. After a long time of exploitations I just got really tired, my health started to fail and I left the company. I am tired after a full decade of this and I am not sure how I can do this for another 30 years or more. My advice is to search the top ten job areas that should be stable through the economy. I hope you find something within those areas. My resume crosses three of those areas and I have no luck. I am pretty exhausted at this point. I wish I had better advice for you. I am not sure if I should encourage you to get more education because I have an AA, BS and MS and it doesn't really help. However, I am a minority so if you are not, you may have a better chance with getting the advanced degrees for better job opportunities. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. 🙂
Dec 23, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I moved out of Florida because of their attitude towards young working people. In my expirence, sometimes relocating helps. I think college degrees are good if you go for the right thing. Again, most of the jobs are in the technical trades, health professions, education and law enforcement. If you dont go to school for one of the before mentioned, you may be better off not going at all. And please dont be goofball and go get something stupid like a degree in music or an MBA. There is nothting you can get with those. Because of SOL tests, there is not that many musice teachers anymore. People who serve others, have the best chance of landing jobs. Like mechanics, nurses, teachers, fire and rescue and so forth. The dream of becoming an Executive and owning a pink house with a pickett fence is over. It is no longer worth it too acheive an MBA, it is too costly, and you will have loans to pay back with no job. Go learn how to fix a car, cut hair, or help the sick and needy. Otherwise dont waste your time with college.
Steve R.
Dec 23, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I feel your pain. FYI I have a BA in Chemistry. I have worked as a lab tech, got paid the same, got the same treatment, with people pulled off production lines who barely graduated High School. In fact don't mention "degree" (all the money and time you wasted, etc.) especially if you get paid the same, and do the same work as someone without a degree, worse if your boss doesn't have one. It's like brushing your teeth, something you do but don't discuss. Is it fair? This question is not worth asking. Get rid of the attitude fast and find a way. Trade school is the quickest and best way. Find out which ones have job placements. Good luck.
Dec 24, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
You make a very valid point. 2 year tech training is the way to go. Learn to be a nurse, a plumber, a firemen, mechanic. Those are where the jobs are at. And as an certified auto tech myself, I make close to 50k a year, and dont even have a degree. I think why I wanted to go back to school, is because I never did get my degree, but know I can do it. I also always like to learn. Degrees are not the answer anymore, and the biggest group of people losing their jobs at the moment anyways, are the white collar workers who have degrees in marketing, business, finance and such. I think it is sad, but right at this moment that is were we are at.

Steven R.
Dec 24, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
whatever
I have 3 minors (~2 year degree)
and I have 3 B.S. degrees(4yr degrees)

If I can't find anything you better not
there is no work
all the job postings are fake or they await somebody from the military
this is the military industrial complex
Dec 27, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I am glad to see all of these complaints.(Hold on, I am going to make a point). It is time colleges learn a valuable lesson. Tuition increases and never deacreases. The Ivy League is out of reach for most, and why would anyone ever get a degree in Art History, or Professional Writing? What the hell is that? Look peoples, got into the medical, teacher, or learn a technical skill(i.e. auto mechanic, plumber,cosmetology, LPN, electronics). Otherwise look into a publication called careers without college. You can become something without that piece of paper. Truthfully though, I am not against education. It really depends on what you get that degree in. My wife for example went to college for career advancement, not career change. She now has a 45-50k a year salary with a two year business degree. She is a very hard worker, very talented at what she does, and used the degree for more of a push in the right direction, her superiors actually told her they would have gave her the promotion without the degree. What I am suggesting, is use the degree to boost the skills you already have.

There are a lot of young graduates, who cant get their first job, because of lack of expirence. Not all professions work this way, but alot do. Go to school for something that has a combination of theory, and hands on training. Also use all resources for resume writing, and make connections along the way. Remember that just beacuse you can write a good research paper, does not mean you can write a good resume.

Another tip you may want to consider, is looking into internships. Instead of trying to score with "Katie the the party queen," try and make useful time with your education."Go After It." Also, "Budweiser Is Not A Major." Try to control yourself. They say that college is the best 4years of your life, so you may want to have the brain cells left to remember it.

Lastly, and this goes for all you MBA's. You are a fresh college graduate, not a veteran of the business world.
Dec 27, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
The "unless in a technical/science field" is correct here. I have no degree and couple of wham bam Certs and I make six figures( i do happen to be good at what I do though).....plus just look at all those really smart degreed gents that we are all bailing out at the moment. Their degrees don't mean much now....
Dec 30, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
You should have went to school to be a technician, or something in the medical field. About the only 4 year degree that will still guarantee you a job, is either something medical or teaching. Otherwise you are better off learning to be a tech. Marketing degrees, business degrees, professional writing degrees, and finance degrees all are useless at the moment. Degrees in journalism are also useless, as well as music degrees, art history degrees, and anyhting elese where the degree really has no point. Dont think you can be a music or art teacher anymore, because if it is not on the SOL, they aint teaching it. Medical or technical are your best options right now.
Dec 30, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Well , Ithink the first you should do is think positive. I know it is hard to do, when your dream of going to college failed, but think about all the skills you do have? Can you add anything to your resume that can be of value? Do you have any kind of tech skills.(Vehicle maintenance, plumbing, computers, electronics,etc.)Did you have a career previously, and went to college for career change? If you did maybe you can go back to your previous career. In my case, I am certifed import auto tech, and working towards a tech degree in electronics, to enhance the skills I already have.

Another thing I may suggest, is dont turn your nose up at an entry level position. I started out in my career changing tires, and now make 50k a year, and dont even have a degree. I do have certifications and a prior service military career, that was also in a tech field.

There are no easy answers, but really look at the skills you do have, and employ them in a real world occupation. The dream of being an executive is dying. In the present situation of our nation, there is just no room for any one with degrees in flooded fields. Everyone wants to be a CEO, those who still are, are not going to give it up.
Dec 31, 2008 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
The skills I have are all combat related or non quantifiable.... except for the "degree" that I am still trying to pay off that no one finds interesting.

The fact of the matter is, if I can't find a job doing whatever (manual labor, computer geeking, whatever... I can/have done it all) that doesn't NET me at LEAST $40K I can't even afford to pay the Sallie Mae Knee Breakers.

Hellofa lot of good that "Degree" did me.
Jan 5, 2009 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Relocating maybe an option. In this current market, research where the jobs still maybe. It is tough out there right now, and you know maybe college is not the answer anymore. So many people put such an emphasis on that degree, it is the believed to be the savior of all financial woes. It just I think is not true anymore. I am myself currently takin college classes, but I am not going any longer then two years, probably associates in busniess or technologies, and then I am done, I did it. I make 45-50k right now withtout a degree, I am using college to enhance the skills I already have, not to replace them. If you have combat related skills, maybe look into law enforcment, loss preventions, or even fire and rescue. There is also a troops to teachers program, if that may interest you. It is hard, I am glad I learned a trade.
Jan 5, 2009 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
I have read everyones response, and this is what i have to say about 2-year degrees, BA/BS,MS/MA and or people who beleive or not believe in having a degree. dispite our failing economy and the umemployment rate which in my opinion will turn around at some point. a degree is like having a condom, "Its better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Feb 5, 2009 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Dude, I have a bachelors degree, honorable military experience, a 745 credit score, never been in trouble with the law and I still can not get a decent job. All I can find right now are minimum wage jobs. I do not get it. I was laid off the day after Thanksgiving and it is 2/20/09 today, and I still have no job. Makes me just want to hang myself off of my balcony with a garden hose.
Feb 20, 2009 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Sorry to hear about your bad news. I do not have a college degree. I got laid off from the railroad on dec. 7th and do not know when the railroad will call me back. I did apply for a job with a va hospital on Jan 26th but do not know if I have made the first cut. I did apply with a different railroad but got a sorry letter via email today. Disabled veteran with honorable discharge you would think that would help a fellow out. I guess time will tell. Good luck to everyone finding a good job.
Feb 20, 2009 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Yea, I took and passed the civil service exam, and I have applied for every civil service job vacancy that I can find. All I can do is wait and hope I find something in the mean time. It is just so very frustrating trying so hard to make it and feeling like a failure because I am struggling like a man in a noose. I know I am a fantastic employee and I have always been the "go to guy" where ever I am employed at, it just sucks getting laid off and scrambling to find anything. I know I shouldn't compare myself to my peers, but it is hard not to. They are all successful, have jobs, and starting a family. Here I am just trying to find a job and not have to move in with my parents. I haven't lived with my parents in well over a decade and to have to move back in with them would make me feel like I hit rock bottom.
Feb 21, 2009 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
If you dont have a trade, go into medical field. Otherwise college is a waste of time. The degree fields ar flooded, and unless you got to college for something very specific, that will take you years to graduate from, then go learn a trade. I have a ged, one year of college, and make 50k a year. I am a certified auto technician. My wife as an associates in biz, works for a pharmaceutical chain. She is now an executive assitant and a Cpht. her salary is around 45k. Do not go to college for music, sociology, psyhcology, I.T. (Alot of those jobs are getting out -sourced). If you want a good life and put food on the table, go to something medical, or learn a trade. The day of the greedy CEO is hopefully coming to an end. Our nation just learned a very valuable lesson. If you are not born rich, then you will probably never be. Take care.

-Steven R
Highlighted
The only thing I have to say my friend is; HIRE VETERANS FIRST. I myself is a veteran, and hate it too see this situation. I own a blog called leftfromcenter.com, and would like to tell your story. If you would like to conduct an interview, email me at ***********. I have just found a direction for my blog. I am wanting to help veterans try to start over. This is not a gimmick, and I do not want anything but your story. As an inspiring writer, I think i have a wonderful idea, to try and help our nations hero's. The men and women who either made or are making a difference. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.
-Steven R.
Highlighted
WOW! Well stated. I have a BS in Business Admin & a MBA with a concentration in Management.I decided to pursue this route due to my interest in working with people and creating competive strategies and brain storming business start ups; an infinity that I acquired as an undergrad. However, so far, the only kind of companies that I attract or insurance & financial institutions. I will hoping that with my experience as a construction supervisor and a former retail assitant manager, I would land something in this area, but all I can attract is a number cruncing job. Not every MBA desires to crunch numbers for a living. Moreover, I am within the employ of a Consumer Credit Counseling agency and I am teaching english as a second language. Nevetheless, I have got a job.

World
Mar 25, 2009 Solution by original poster
Highlighted