Which Pharma companies aren't age biased?

Comments (10)

Joe.

136 months ago

I have seen a lot of age bias at Roche, Daiichi, Sanofi-Aventis, GSK, Baxter, Pfizer, Eisai, and almost all the ohers, as well. I'd like to say it doesn't exist, but it does. How does an older individual with a significant amount of healthcare experience get a job at one of these companies today? Usually, these companies run the same position ads every several months, as if no one notices. They never, ever seem to fill the advertised position, which makes me suspect that the position wasn't real to begin with. Any clues how to get in?

Richard

133 months ago

Sanofi Aventis is chock full of threatened women. If you have a brain and can think for yourself, don't bother to apply there. If you can answer a question in a full sentence, I can guarantee that you will be a threat to your woman boss at Sanofi and you will be gone on your one year anniversary with the company. Come on, the company is located in Bridgewater so what other talent but threatened women is it going to attract?

William

133 months ago

I thought the women at Sanofi were okay. The ones I met who were either Managers or Directors could stand to lose some weight, I'm going to guess 30 - 40 pounds. What else can I say, they were women from Backwater, oops I mean Bridgewater. I'll bet nobody knows where that is.

Tom

133 months ago

If you want to see Sanofi's future, think of its past. Wasn't it once Pharmacia, that should be a very big clue. And what in the world is an Aventis, is that like a 4 cylinder Toyota or something?

Michael Blendon in Chicago, Illinois

126 months ago

Tom said: If you want to see Sanofi's future, think of its past. Wasn't it once Pharmacia, that should be a very big clue. And what in the world is an Aventis, is that like a 4 cylinder Toyota or something?

it's a french name, dipsh*t. what's a glaxo? what's a pfizer? or how about novartis? grow up moron.
if you can't play or understand the unfair politics of corporate life then become a stay-at-home daddy. if you want to talk about terrible corporations to work for, then you better not fail to mention jp morgan chase, which is far worse than anything in the pharma world could ever compare to. so just understand that it's always worse somewhere else.

J.C.N. in Piscataway, New Jersey

125 months ago

[QUOTE
who="Joe."]I have seen a lot of age bias at Roche, Daiichi, Sanofi-Aventis, GSK, Baxter, Pfizer, Eisai, and almost all the ohers, as well. I'd like to say it doesn't exist, but it does. How does an older individual with a significant amount of healthcare experience get a job at one of these companies today? Usually, these companies run the same position ads every several months, as if no one notices. They never, ever seem to fill the advertised position, which makes me suspect that the position wasn't real to begin with. Any clues how to get in?

Your comment comes at an appropriate time just as I am looking to enter the pharmaceutical sales field. I believe that there is age bias in the field, but sometimes this can exist and they may still hire you. There is a difference in being biased and discriminating. Usually when they discriminate they don't hire until someone files a complaint against them. There are many corporations that are biased against age, so this is not unusal in the work world. By the way what was the end result of your experience? Were you applying for a position? Can you share this experience and share some tips or strategies?

TheoDen in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

124 months ago

Joe. said: I have seen a lot of age bias at Roche, Daiichi, Sanofi-Aventis, GSK, Baxter, Pfizer, Eisai, and almost all the ohers, as well. I'd like to say it doesn't exist, but it does. How does an older individual with a significant amount of healthcare experience get a job at one of these companies today? Usually, these companies run the same position ads every several months, as if no one notices. They never, ever seem to fill the advertised position, which makes me suspect that the position wasn't real to begin with. Any clues how to get in?

GSK definitely is age biased. If you are over 40 don't even bother applying. The average age at the Lancaster, PA Plant is between 20 to 30 years old, this is not by accident. There are a few of us in the low 40's who made it in (most people think I'm 5 to 7 years younger). The HR department is made up of bubbleheads, especially Chris, the HR Advisor. She does not respond to e-mails or take calls. The GSK website portrays the company as team and family oriented. If the company really hired "team oriented" and "friendly" people, the HR Department would have the courtesy of responding to inquries. I am on the inside, but I have friends who have told me this is how they have been treated. The irony is this is a company that is in the business of helping their fellow man. And they are discriminatory. Plain and Simple.

Interesting but not surprised in Morton, Pennsylvania

124 months ago

If this situation exists, which I have no reason to believe otherwise than why doesn't someone file a formal complaint against them. In this era of economic decline, loss of jobs and forclosures on homes this is unacceptable and denying people a right to equal opportunity and quality of life. These companies need people to speak out especially those who are eyewitnesses.

TheoDen in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

124 months ago

Interesting but not surprised in Morton, Pennsylvania said: If this situation exists, which I have no reason to believe otherwise than why doesn't someone file a formal complaint against them. In this era of economic decline, loss of jobs and forclosures on homes this is unacceptable and denying people a right to equal opportunity and quality of life. These companies need people to speak out especially those who are eyewitnesses.

Point well taken. What bothers me about companies like GSK is that they are in the business of helping their fellow man. Age or any type of discrimination should never-ever happen, but unfortunately it has. As the American population ages, the majority of skilled workers will be in their 40's, 50's and even the 60's. I'm sure lawsuits will become more common place as time goes on.
As far as the situation we are discussing here. Let's just say we're working on it..............

Michelle in Richardson, Texas

97 months ago

So what Pharma would you suggest to apply with?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.