What's the company culture at Kroger Stores?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Kroger Stores?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Kroger Stores?

Shocked and Surprised in Chillicothe, Ohio

43 months ago

I cannot vouch for the day to day operations and the prevailing culture, but I can share a recent interview experience. First and foremost, I was horrified to discover that Kroger pays its hourly employees minimum wage and starts everyone at part time status. This is disturbing on many levels, but as a regular shopper at Kroger, I cannot in good faith continue to shop there knowing that their employees are in poverty.

Secondly, the corporate structure is absolutely Draconian. They insist that all line level people address managers by their last name, yet "hourly" employees are called by their first. What century is this? Its a power and control mechanism no doubt. Horrible.

They force their employees to join a Union that is obviously in the hip pocket of the company (given that most people there make minimum wage). Makes one wonder what good this forced unioin is. Certainly not fighting for higher wages.

They are completely Departmentalized with no opportunity for learning new departments without "bidding" AND everything from job assignments to promotions and time off is based upon "Seniority". They obviously want automatons in place who are easily manipulated and reward them not for performance, but for toeing the line. Very progressive!

Kroger pats itself on the back for its charitable endeavors. If you ask me, the best way to determine a company's ethics is to see how they compensate and treat the people who run their stores.

They have lost a customer in me and I wouldn't work for them in any position if they were the last employer on the planet.

Shocked and Surprised in Chillicothe, Ohio

43 months ago

Oh, forgot to add:

Their clock in/out payroll system is biometric. Uh... no thanks. Not giving them my biometric data. Scary.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.