Coping with being unemployed...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Page:  « First « Previous   15  16  17  18   

unemployed princess

54 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: And that's another tragic part of this new economy. There are very few full time jobs anymore. I really do feel for the younger generation that are saddled with college loans and can't find adequate work. They are my competition, so it's even worse when you hit 50+. The only thing I can say about this crappy economy is that my kids and I seem to understand one solid thing between us all. We're blessed with the fact my husband has a decent job, or should I say, three jobs. Yup, he works on top of the full time job to afford us a home and three good meals a day.

I never thought that it would be hard to find my first full time job. I still do not have one. And this would be my first full time job if I ever get one.

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon

54 months ago

unemployed princess said: I never thought that it would be hard to find my first full time job. I still do not have one. And this would be my first full time job if I ever get one.

Agreed. The last couple jobs I have applied to are part-time. I wouldn't have even considered a part-time previously.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

54 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: I am all for cutting service to prisons. For people like Tiffany that is why services exist. She needs to call the Department of Human Services and make an appointment with a caseworker. She deserves the help.

Prison life is pretty harsh as it is and if you make more cuts there, you will be dealing with even a tougher criminal when they get out. It's already like that. How many are in there because they couldn't get adequate care for addiction and mental health issues when they were younger? And no, I am not looking to give people a free ride in life. Far from it. I just know some realities about people most don't want to think about. I would rather see a penal system that is designed more like a boot camp for those that aren't violent and heartless criminals. If there are cuts to be made, we ought to make them with all the big shots in Washington DC. Let them start paying for their benefits and stop with allowing them to give themselves raises!

54 months ago

unemployed princess said: I never thought that it would be hard to find my first full time job. I still do not have one. And this would be my first full time job if I ever get one.

I'm sorry :(

54 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Prison life is pretty harsh as it is and if you make more cuts there, you will be dealing with even a tougher criminal when they get out. It's already like that. How many are in there because they couldn't get adequate care for addiction and mental health issues when they were younger? And no, I am not looking to give people a free ride in life. Far from it. I just know some realities about people most don't want to think about. I would rather see a penal system that is designed more like a boot camp for those that aren't violent and heartless criminals. If there are cuts to be made, we ought to make them with all the big shots in Washington DC. Let them start paying for their benefits and stop with allowing them to give themselves raises!

Ok. That is something I could be on board with.

54 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Prison life is pretty harsh as it is and if you make more cuts there, you will be dealing with even a tougher criminal when they get out. It's already like that. How many are in there because they couldn't get adequate care for addiction and mental health issues when they were younger? And no, I am not looking to give people a free ride in life. Far from it. I just know some realities about people most don't want to think about. I would rather see a penal system that is designed more like a boot camp for those that aren't violent and heartless criminals. If there are cuts to be made, we ought to make them with all the big shots in Washington DC. Let them start paying for their benefits and stop with allowing them to give themselves raises!

In other words, preventive and rehabilitative care is always better.

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

54 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: I am all for cutting service to prisons. For people like Tiffany that is why services exist. She needs to call the Department of Human Services and make an appointment with a caseworker. She deserves the help.

I agree!

Have you ever watched "Lockup" reality show? These guys walk around with their attitudes, in their little "gang" groups like they're still out on the streets! It really p*sses me off. We're paying for this BS and then we have people like Tiffany who served our country and she can't get any help! :(

Debbie in Denver, Colorado

54 months ago

Well now you have private prisons or prisons for profit. They lobby for things like mandatory parole, 3 strikes, mandatory sentencing. People end up serving years because parole restrictions are so hard not to fail. Big money in running prisons they like to keep people in the system. I'm not defending those who should be there but the tough on crime has become unnecessarily expensive to taxpayers and good business for private prisons.

54 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: I agree!

Have you ever watched "Lockup" reality show? These guys walk around with their attitudes, in their little "gang" groups like they're still out on the streets! It really p*sses me off. We're paying for this BS and then we have people like Tiffany who served our country and she can't get any help! :(

In an idea world, we would get a hold of these same guys before they grew up with attitudes and the appetite to commit crimes in the first place.

54 months ago

That is my position on crime. I am all for putting hardened criminals on an island. Drop of food from the air. Who cares if they kill each other. The navy while doing usual patrols could watch for anyone trying to get off.

54 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: In other words, preventive and rehabilitative care is always better.

UU, I agree, but the problem is the government runs the prisons and we know they are a bunch of idiots who waste money. They're solution is to "babysit" instead of rehabilitate. :\

54 months ago

I've seen that show. I agree people who served our country need help should be a priority. Another thing that ticks me off is all the money we send to other countries when people here need so much help.

54 months ago

The former US Ambassador to the UN said, "Foreign aid is taking middle class American's money and giving it to wealthy foreigners."

54 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: The former US Ambassador to the UN said, "Foreign aid is taking middle class American's money and giving it to wealthy foreigners."

That's for sure, so much corruption.

54 months ago

Debbie in Denver, Colorado said: Well now you have private prisons or prisons for profit. They lobby for things like mandatory parole, 3 strikes, mandatory sentencing. People end up serving years because parole restrictions are so hard not to fail. Big money in running prisons they like to keep people in the system. I'm not defending those who should be there but the tough on crime has become unnecessarily expensive to taxpayers and good business for private prisons.

This is true! And you have to know at least one story about a guy that is now part of the penal system. This young man was a friend of my daughter's. He was brutally raped at gunpoint at the age of nine for three hours. His very Catholic family didn't know what to do with this boy when he started to act out except take him to mass and pray over him. The criminal that did this horrible crime was tried and was found guilty. But this guy got out within 5 years for "good behavior". In the mean time, the one innocent that was raped never got the help he needed and he eventually turned to hard core drugs. And with addiction comes the need for money and lots of it. He was in the system by the time he was a teen, all charges having to do with petty theft and drugs. He tried to get clean many times and he spent time with my family. I could have loved him like a son since he had a heart of gold and wanted to do well in life. But drugs always took him back in and on a parole violation, he would get locked up again. So very sad. And the attitude that criminals get? If you don't get cocky and tough, then you are easy bait in prison. That one boy changed my whole thinking about a lot of things. I know I don't have the answers except we have got to do a better job in prevention, period!

Bluetea in Texas

54 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: UU, I agree, but the problem is the government runs the prisons and we know they are a bunch of idiots who waste money. They're solution is to "babysit" instead of rehabilitate. :\

My nephew is in law enforcement. The prison system is largely privatized now. What isn't is the judicial system and that needs competition and an overhaul.

Bluetea in Texas

54 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: That is my position on crime. I am all for putting hardened criminals on an island. Drop of food from the air. Who cares if they kill each other. The navy while doing usual patrols could watch for anyone trying to get off.

Robert Heinlein, in his The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" sent them all to the moon. Great story considering it was written in the 1960's.

54 months ago

It's survival in their world. Too many grow up in war zones and in the prison system. Most never had a dad or anyone to lay down the rules. The cruelest thing you can do to a child is give them a home with no boundaries to begin with :(

54 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: My nephew is in law enforcement. The prison system is largely privatized now. What isn't is the judicial system and that needs competition and an overhaul.

In Oregon the prisons are still run by the government. I've read that private prisons are contracted with a government agency to house inmates. The government plays a major role in regulating the private prisons. :|

54 months ago

Here the private prison demanded more money from the state. The state refused now we have private prisons housing out of state prisoners because they are willing to pay the tab.

54 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: In Oregon the prisons are still run by the government. I've read that private prisons are contracted with a government agency to house inmates. The government plays a major role in regulating the private prisons. :|

It's most definitely not designed to do anything more than turn a profit for somebody else.

54 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: It's survival in their world. Too many grow up in war zones and in the prison system. Most never had a dad or anyone to lay down the rules. The cruelest thing you can do to a child is give them a home with no boundaries to begin with :(

How do we change parenting? My dad was a mean @ss and beat the crap out of us and my mom. One or all of us could have run away from home and turned to drugs or other illegal behavior. We didn't, why? I don't know. Maybe it was my mom who held us all together. But I really don't have an answer, I'm just thankful none of us went down that road. :|

54 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: This is true! And you have to know at least one story about a guy that is now part of the penal system. This young man was a friend of my daughter's. He was brutally raped at gunpoint at the age of nine for three hours. His very Catholic family didn't know what to do with this boy when he started to act out except take him to mass and pray over him. The criminal that did this horrible crime was tried and was found guilty. But this guy got out within 5 years for "good behavior". In the mean time, the one innocent that was raped never got the help he needed and he eventually turned to hard core drugs. And with addiction comes the need for money and lots of it. He was in the system by the time he was a teen, all charges having to do with petty theft and drugs. He tried to get clean many times and he spent time with my family. I could have loved him like a son since he had a heart of gold and wanted to do well in life. But drugs always took him back in and on a parole violation, he would get locked up again. So very sad. And the attitude that criminals get? If you don't get cocky and tough, then you are easy bait in prison. That one boy changed my whole thinking about a lot of things. I know I don't have the answers except we have got to do a better job in prevention, period!

What happened to all those priests who abused those boys? Nothing, they got away with that horrible crime. They went to the catholic retreat to be rehabilitated…. :(

54 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: How do we change parenting? My dad was a mean @ss and beat the crap out of us and my mom. One or all of us could have run away from home and turned to drugs or other illegal behavior. We didn't, why? I don't know. Maybe it was my mom who held us all together. But I really don't have an answer, I'm just thankful none of us went down that road. :|

Much agreed and there is no simple answers. My mother had a father that used to beat the piss out of all of them and they grew up in absolute poverty. On the same token, you have kids that come from wonderful homes that turn into monsters. I just know I will get it wrong every time I judge without knowing all the facts.

54 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: What happened to all those priests who abused those boys? Nothing, they got away with that horrible crime. They went to the catholic retreat to be rehabilitated…. :(

And that kind of thing is harder to overcome than so many other things that can be done to a child. I will never forget my daughter's friend. He never deserved such a horrible trauma to happen to him. His family was naive at best with how they tried to help him. God knows if any priests victimized him too. I shudder at the thought. :(

54 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: What happened to all those priests who abused those boys? Nothing, they got away with that horrible crime. They went to the catholic retreat to be rehabilitated…. :(

They didn't go for rehabilitation. They got hidden and pampered.

54 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: They didn't go for rehabilitation. They got hidden and pampered.

You're right! That's what the "catholic retreat" was all about! ;\

54 months ago

sex offenders are the least able to rehabilitate because it's part of their makeup. The "war on drugs" left us with the highest incarceration rate IN THE WORLD. It's all about business, lobby and money. some 7 million people are in "the system" 2 million in prison the rest on probation, parole. Google a chart on incarceration rates and you will see it skyrocket since 1980 when the war on drugs began.

54 months ago

Maybe I should say pedophiles are the least able to rehabilitate.

54 months ago

Debbie in Denver, Colorado said: sex offenders are the least able to rehabilitate because it's part of their makeup. The "war on drugs" left us with the highest incarceration rate IN THE WORLD. It's all about business, lobby and money. some 7 million people are in "the system" 2 million in prison the rest on probation, parole. Google a chart on incarceration rates and you will see it skyrocket since 1980 when the war on drugs began.

Sad but true.

Bluetea in Texas

54 months ago

Debbie in Denver, Colorado said: sex offenders are the least able to rehabilitate because it's part of their makeup. The "war on drugs" left us with the highest incarceration rate IN THE WORLD. It's all about business, lobby and money. some 7 million people are in "the system" 2 million in prison the rest on probation, parole. Google a chart on incarceration rates and you will see it skyrocket since 1980 when the war on drugs began.

My nephew is a detective and he says the same thing.

unemployed princess

54 months ago

Looks like I will be marrying rich. Lol just kidding but seriously if I meet a rich man I have a better chance of getting proposed to before I land a permanet full time job

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

54 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: The former US Ambassador to the UN said, "Foreign aid is taking middle class American's money and giving it to wealthy foreigners."

Yes. And so are American Corporations that move overseas, that spend little to improve the local economy and p1ss all over the land because they don't have any regulations to follow.

No wonder we have immigrants from all over trying to infiltrate our shores.

AND TAXPAYERS SUBSIDIZE THESE CORPORATIONS!!!

shanet in Aberdeen, Washington

54 months ago

tiffany34 in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Feel free to verbally abuse me. Ive been doing it to myself anyway.

The only "verbal abuse" I would give to you, would be based on this statement. Cut it out. Stop asking for the abuse (like you did right there), stop giving it to yourself, and stop accepting it from others. Otherwise, it will never end.

As far as a job goes... I've lived in a van, so I know how hard it is to climb out of the hole into some kind of employment. What can you do? Sign up for EVERY program out there. Your pride be damned. DFS (or whatever it is called in your area) will have all the connections you need to make to get food stamps and other assistance... and as far as being homeless with kids (which you ARE), that fact right there can move you up the list for housing assistance.

Stripping? Meh. Temp... well, you take what you can get. HOWEVER, if you really are going to college, there is something called COLLEGE WORK STUDY, which is a grant-based work opportunity you can get through your school. Yes, it is for a limited amount of time, but it is available.

Otherwise... McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's... Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell... Olive Garden, Red Lobster... Panera Bread.... look... dish washing is better than unemployment.

unemployed princess

54 months ago

Shane T in Aberdeen, Washington said: The only "verbal abuse" I would give to you, would be based on this statement. Cut it out. Stop asking for the abuse (like you did right there), stop giving it to yourself, and stop accepting it from others. Otherwise, it will never end.

As far as a job goes... I've lived in a van, so I know how hard it is to climb out of the hole into some kind of employment. What can you do? Sign up for EVERY program out there. Your pride be damned. DFS (or whatever it is called in your area) will have all the connections you need to make to get food stamps and other assistance... and as far as being homeless with kids (which you ARE), that fact right there can move you up the list for housing assistance.

Stripping? Meh. Temp... well, you take what you can get. HOWEVER, if you really are going to college, there is something called COLLEGE WORK STUDY, which is a grant-based work opportunity you can get through your school. Yes, it is for a limited amount of time, but it is available.

Otherwise... McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's... Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell... Olive Garden, Red Lobster... Panera Bread.... look... dish washing is better than unemployment.

Um unless she is going to college full time she can not get the full amount of pell grant. And if she takes out loans the loan amount. As for college work study she should sign up for it. But not everybody can get work study. I signed up for it every semester and I still do not have it. I am going to sign up for it again in the spring too
. I am a current college student and if I had work study I would not be on indeed job hunting. I would have some money saved up from a workstudy job.

unemployed princess

54 months ago

*the loan amount depends on how many credits she is enrolled in. well at my college it is like that

54 months ago

unemployed princess said: Um unless she is going to college full time she can not get the full amount of pell grant. And if she takes out loans the loan amount. As for college work study she should sign up for it. But not everybody can get work study. I signed up for it every semester and I still do not have it. I am going to sign up for it again in the spring too
. I am a current college student and if I had work study I would not be on indeed job hunting. I would have some money saved up from a workstudy job.

I didn't say anything about a Pell Grant. Because the college work study program doesn't rely on ONLY the Pell Grant for funding.

Granted it was a few years ago, but when I was attending the Sawyer School in Pawtucket RI, which is a trade school... and I was going for Radio and Television Communication (not even for a degree) I was able to obtain a $5000 grant towards work study.

Let's put it another way. My suggestion is that Tiffany go into the Financial Aid office at her school and have them exhaust every possibility to see what they come up with. YOUR comment is that she essentially not bother to examine this avenue... because you know better. Is that basically what it boils down to? I mean, sure. The end result might be the same, in that she doesn't get a work study position... but if she uses your information, we can GUARANTEE she won't get anything, because she won't even bother looking. Where as if she takes my advice, it might turn out that there are indeed opportunities for part-time students... just like what I had gotten.

54 months ago

If you'd like more specific information... it is now called the Federal Work Study or FWS

www2.ed.gov/programs/fws/index.html

As far as Eligibility is concerned...

www2.ed.gov/programs/fws/eligibility.html

[quote]Who May Apply: (by category) Individuals, Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs)

Who May Apply: (specifically) IHEs may apply for an allocation of funds to be awarded to undergraduate, vocational, and graduate students enrolled or accepted for enrollment at participating schools.

Nothing about Part-time versus Full-time students mentioned at all.

Not Donald Trump in New Jersey

23 months ago

projectfreetvonline in New York, New York said: www.projectfreetvonlinenow.com/
projectfreetvonlinenow is the best site for free full Movies and TV shows. Lots of new and old movies and it is free.
Use the search button to find your specific movie or browse the categories.
With years from 1935 to 2016, all genres you could imagine and a-z lists it has never been more easy to find your favorite movie.
Or simply browse top movies for something new and exciting to watch.

I see you bumped a 2+ year old topic just to shill your website. Neat.

Page:  « First « Previous   15  16  17  18   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.