Hiring/paying someone to get me a job?

Comments (11)

Anthony in Spring, Texas

52 months ago

I'm a recent grad (Dec 2014) with a BS in chemical engineering.

I feel that job-searching itself is a job if you are serious about it, which I am. I've been searching for jobs for about a month and a half now on a daily basis; wake up at 9 am, look at opened job positions, research positions, apply, end job-hunt at 5 pm. No weekends. I'm not really a "resume spammer" and so in those 1.5 months, I've only had 63 applications sent (tallied accurately). Received 1 interview, and it's for a job that has nothing to do with my degree, nice!

So, I've been thinking, since there's a service for just about anything, why is there no service to help desperate and jobless people like me who are willing to pay? I'm willing to pay someone twice the cost of my college tuition and/or most of my income from my new-found job for a certain amount of years, assuming that the person will get me a job. All the more to get me a higher-paying job.

All these job boards and online applications seem futile if you have no CONNECTIONS or 5-10 years of experience. There has to be someone who's got enough connections that I can pay to get me hired. Don't get me started on the career fairs.

Is such a service possible? Black market, deep web, underground venues, whatever. If there is something like this, I NEED to use it. I'm not in a position to make high-end corporate-level relationships that would lead to a more successful lifestyle, or at least a liveable and independent lifestyle.

Jury 14 in Hartford, Connecticut

52 months ago

Those are called recruiting/staffing agencies. Go to them and they'll GLADLY get you a job - if you smile enough in their face and let them know you're willing to take WHATEVER you can get for experience.

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois

52 months ago

Anthony you are definitely a newbie, you are frustrated over a 1.5 month of job searching....try over 5 YEARS of job searching!!! I have a M.S. degree in Software Engineering and over 15 years experience, and for the past 5 YEARS I've been struggling to get back to full-time employment!!!

As someone mentioned earlier, the so-called people who can "supposedly" look for a job for you are called headhunters/staffing agencies. What you have to realize is that at the end of the day if there are no jobs out there then paying someone is not going to magically changed your situation and just because you see a job posting online doesn't mean it's an actual vacancy. By the way most headhunters/staffing agencies are free for the job seeker.

It takes at least a month and a half just to complete the interview process for most professional jobs, just to be told in the end you didn't get the job...and you are lucky if you even get told at all. So you need to change your line of thinking when it comes to a realistic timeline.

Unfortunately we are living through a tough job market where it can take months, even years to find a professional job. What I'm doing in the meantime is getting temp/contract work closely related to my field until I can get what I really want, I suggest you do the same.

Best of Luck to you!

Anthony in Spring, Texas

52 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: As someone mentioned earlier, the so-called people who can "supposedly" look for a job for you are called headhunters/staffing agencies. What you have to realize is that at the end of the day if there are no jobs out there then paying someone is not going to magically changed your situation and just because you see a job posting online doesn't mean it's an actual vacancy. By the way most headhunters/staffing agencies are free for the job seeker.

But these guys should be specialized in connections (know CEO's, CFO's, treasurers, recruiters/HR, etc.) and getting you in should be a breeze. Plus, they should also have nation-wide knowledge of what jobs are available.

Jury 14 in Hartford, Connecticut

52 months ago

Anthony in Spring, Texas said: But these guys should be specialized in connections (know CEO's, CFO's, treasurers, recruiters/HR, etc.) and getting you in should be a breeze. Plus, they should also have nation-wide knowledge of what jobs are available.

I'm not sure if really believe in what you're saying at this point. Anyway, the answer(s) have been posted. Good luck.

KeepAHappyFace in State of Confusion

52 months ago

Anthony in Spring, Texas said: ..... Don't get me started on the career fairs....

Why not? They're one way to make connections, nothing else.

Are you making use of your schools alumni association career services?

It took me over a year to land a real job after finishing my chemical engineering degree and in the years since then nothing has changed. After finishing school I worked a temp job for a few months and then worked as an assistant manager at a Pizza chain. The entire time I was in school the profs and administration kept feeding us BS about being in great demand simply because we were one of the top engineering schools in the country, all of us felt like we could walk out of commencement and have recruiters handing out job offers.

You're not gonna' be able to just buy your way into a job, and if anyone tries telling you they offer such a service they're scammers and you'll just lose your money.

Have you tried looking for work as a lab tech? I know it doesn't sound real enticing for a chemical engineer but often something like that can lead to bigger and better things.

AndyRising in a State of Bliss

52 months ago

Headhunters typically work with higher-level executive and management positions or other high-demand senior positions. They may have less interest in recent grads who have little or no experience to offer. But you can certainly try... there's nothing to lose.

Indeed says that you're located in Spring, Texas, which is near Houston. You should Google "houston texas headunter" to find local resources. They include:

www.xinterview.com/houston-headhunters.php
www.meador.com/about-meador-staffing-services/meador-staffing-passadena-houston-austin-affiliations/

airmantg@*****.*** in Shingle Springs, California

15 months ago

Aerospace professional

JS in Lakeland, Florida

12 months ago

I used <a href="www.newjob4me.com”>www.newjob4me.com</a> to help with my job search. They were great and applied to jobs for me.

JS in Lakeland, Florida

12 months ago

JS in Lakeland, Florida said: I used <a href=" www.newjob4me.com”>www.newjob4me.com</a> to help with my job search. They were great and applied to jobs for me.

Link is www.newjob4me.com

Garrett in Lawrence, Kansas

8 months ago

Jury 14 in Hartford, Connecticut said: Those are called recruiting/staffing agencies. Go to them and they'll GLADLY get you a job - if you smile enough in their face and let them know you're willing to take WHATEVER you can get for experience.

Do you have an links for said services? I can i only find one or two and am not getting a response.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.