Job hunting with an expunged misdemeanor...any success stories?

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

twsfbos in Bay Area, California

69 months ago

Last summer I was cited for my first time (and my last time) for shoplifting clothing. At the time, I made one bad decision.. to this day, I still don't know what took a hold of me and compelled me to do something so stupid like that. Obviously at the time and in that moment I wasn't thinking about what life would be like for me today.

Now that I'm about to graduate in a year and start looking for jobs, I am depressed, ashamed, and so embarrassed for what I have done. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about what I did and worry for my future prospects. I am so plagued by guilt...to the point where I feel it physically stinging me. After Googling so many stories about this and how employers not hiring people like me, I feel like I will have to repay this debt for the rest of my life.

I have had many successful internships, a great attitude, fluently bilingual, great skill sets, strong communication skills, determination and a insatiable hunger to bring to the table. I fear this will be overlooked by employers because of one black dot in my past that they will use to judge my present and future character.

I have so much to offer. I can work hard and prove myself that I am trustworthy and honest person. That 20 minutes of bad decision making in my life completely does not stand for who I am as a prospective employee.

Will I get a second chance at life? Has anyone been through this? I can't stop thinking about this...

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

69 months ago

Also, unless you're going into finance or something that requires a clean background concerning money, if you go for smaller companies there's less of a change they'll run a background check on you at all in the first place.

69 months ago

One more thing: since it's expunged, on applications and companies questioning if you've ever been convicted, say NO. It's pretty much like it never happened.

You might want to do what I did too, haha: google yourself on different mugshot websites sites and see if you show up anywhere. I can be a paranoid android though.

twsfbos in California

69 months ago

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: One more thing: since it's expunged, on applications and companies questioning if you've ever been convicted, say NO. It's pretty much like it never happened.

You might want to do what I did too, haha: google yourself on different mugshot websites sites and see if you show up anywhere. I can be a paranoid android though.

I've done that as well and nothing has come up. I want to get into the Marketing field (what I'm going to school for). I have never been so scared or nervous in my life....

Bluetea in Texas

69 months ago

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: One more thing: since it's expunged, on applications and companies questioning if you've ever been convicted, say NO. It's pretty much like it never happened.

When Ted Bundy was asked if had ever been convicted of a felony he said, "Convicted? No, never convicted". - old HR joke.

twsfbos in California

69 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: When Ted Bundy was asked if had ever been convicted of a felony he said, "Convicted? No, never convicted". - old HR joke.

Hope this means someone like me has a chance...*sigh...

Willy in Tempe, Arizona

69 months ago

As a law enforcement professional I can assure you that private companies have no greater access to your records than you do as a private citizen. Meaning there is no super computer that they (private industry) can go to and check to see what your expunged record says. I won't claim to know how your particular state works but it seems unlikely that if you were convicted just last year of shopping that you could get it expunged. Were you found guilty, adjudication was withheld, or deferred prosecution?

Willy in Tempe, Arizona

69 months ago

I understand. Like I said I won't claim to know how California works but I know in many other states (i.e. Florida) one cannot expunge a record if you were adjudicated guilty. I won't try and be your moral police because God knows there enough of them online but remember it's never the crime that get's people in trouble it's always the cover up. Just some food for thought.If I can be of any additional help feel free to reach out to me at caseyp1122@yahoo.com It's my spam email hence why I have no issues with giving it out.

69 months ago

twsfbos in California said: That is comforting to know that I have somewhat of a chance. I reside in California- I entered a guilty plea....I figured to own up to what was done and that there was no use in lying my way out of it. At the time i told myself that this was most honest and mature way of handling my issue. However, now that my job prospects seem to have dwindled I am regretting that I didn't put up more of a fight....even if it meant being dishonest? Ah. Like I said I can't stop thinking about what my future is going to be like. I feel like I have ruined my life!

I doubt it's affecting your prospects. They run criminal background checks when they've decided they may hire you and you're in the running, not before.

Cisco in San Leandro, California

64 months ago

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: If you have it expunged, it won't show up on official background checks but the arrest might, from what I've read. I've had a misdemeanor expunged years ago (it wasn't for theft though), and I don't think it's hurt me. I have also read, and I don't know if it's true, even if it's expunged from official background check type companies, that it can show up on those information check things people can buy on the internet, etc. But I don't think companies use those, at least I would't hope a professional place would.

Not true read what happened to me in the comments below.

64 months ago

Im sorry I got the penal code wrong. I just learned something new myself. For instance I have to completely detail my case and expungement for county hospitals because its a government job. But regardless of who tells you and what you read, trust me from personal experience the HR will consider it and will try to weed you out.

64 months ago

Although your conviction may be dismissed, restrictions resulting from the conviction cannot. An expungement does not:
Remove the conviction from your criminal history. California and FBI criminal history records will still show the conviction and the subsequent dismissal.
Seal the court case file from public inspection. The court file remains public record.
Reinstate your right to possess firearms. In some cases, reduction of a non-violent felony to a misdemeanor may accomplish this.
Relieve you of your duty to register as a sex offender. In some cases, this may be accomplished by a different motion to the court.
Allow you to omit the conviction from applications for government-issued licenses.
You must disclose your conviction and expungement in your license application.
Allow you to omit the conviction from application for government employment. If you are applying for a government job, a job that requires security clearance, or a job that requires a government-issued license, certificate, or permit, you must disclose the conviction and expungement.
Allow you to hold public office, if the conviction prevented you from doing so.
Prevent the conviction from being used to refuse or revoke a government license or permit, such as real estate license, teaching credential, security guard certificate, etc.
Prevent the conviction from being used as a "prior." The dismissed conviction can be used for determining sentencing enhancements in subsequent convictions.
Prevent the conviction from being used by the DMV. Expunged convictions may be used to suspend or revoke driving privileges.
Prevent the conviction from being used by US Citizenship and Immigration Services. In many situations, an expunged conviction may be considered for removal or exclusion purposes.

64 months ago

Yea the debate about expungements at the Dept of Justice, is that private employers can not take your expungements into consideration when hiring you. Its actually a misdemeanor, so says a public defender I just spoke to who's says i got screwed. He says that they have been fighting for expungements to be hidden from everyone except the government and officers of the law. However there's professions out there that require public trust and fight back for access to these records, they point to statistics that show repeated patterns in law breaking. Basically what they are fighting for is public trust, for instance child rapists shouldnt ever work in a childrens hospital or care center. A bank robber shouldnt work in a bank or check cashing place. The advice the public defender gave me wasnt very helpful, he admits that and says people do get screwed and discriminated like I did all the time. There is no way to prove you were discriminated against based on your background check. Best thing I could do is seek advice/consultation from a lawyer who's specializes in this. Also check on the companies policy with human resources when it comes to expungements.

64 months ago

Best thing to do with expungements when you come across this question
{21. Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Conviction of a felony does not necessarily disqualify a person from employment. This information will be reviewed for job relatedness. Please list all convictions except: those which have been sealed, expunged or statutorily eradicated, or pursuant to Labor Code 432.8, any convictions of marijuana-related offenses more than two years old.
Yes No
*22. If you answered 'yes' for the conviction question, please list the date, charge, location and action taken for each conviction in the space below.}

SAY YES< However it has been Judicially DISMISSED and EXPUNGED per Penal Code 1203.4. This is for CA applicants. If you say now they can be aholes and say "nope you lied because you were convicted but you later had it expunged, SORRY NO THANK YOU BYE BYE. Trust me it sucks

64 months ago

sorry typos this is important so i did it again

reply with ">YES< However, it has been Judicially DISMISSED and EXPUNGED per Penal Code 1203.4."

This is for CA applicants. If you say >NO< they can be a-holes and say "Nope, you lied, because you WERE actually convicted, but you later had it expunged, soooo SORRY, NO THANK YOU, BYE BYE." Trust me it sucks. Its illegal but whos going to stop them? And with what evidence? They will never explain that in writing. They will come up with something else, like..... seeking better qualified canidates etc.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

64 months ago

Hit and Run in El Cajon, California said: I constantly struggle with disclosing my expunged conviction. I just went to the Hireright background check company and requested a list of what companies they reported to and a copy of the report. I have not met with success and my have to become self-employed.

My crime was not intentional but made in a moment of confusion and panic after a head injury - I turned myself and faced the punishment. By no means does this one moment define me.

What exactly did you do to get into trouble ?

64 months ago

That individual commited the crime of hit and run.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

64 months ago

Okay, thanks.

Heather in Dayton, Ohio

61 months ago

I was convicted of a misdemeanor almost 20 yrs ago. I got it expunged. My question is on a job application when asked "if I've ever been convicted of a crime/misdemeanor" what should I answer??

61 months ago

Heather in Dayton, Ohio said: I was convicted of a misdemeanor almost 20 yrs ago. I got it expunged. My question is on a job application when asked "if I've ever been convicted of a crime/misdemeanor" what should I answer??

So really it depends on the crime and what kind of job your applying for.

Bluetea in Texas

61 months ago

Heather in Dayton, Ohio said: I was convicted of a misdemeanor almost 20 yrs ago. I got it expunged. My question is on a job application when asked "if I've ever been convicted of a crime/misdemeanor" what should I answer??

You need to open up your wallet and buy your own criminal background check. Its pretty cheap. Many things don't show up.

When they asked Ted Bundy if he had ever been convicted of a felony he said, "Convicted? No, never convicted". Heh!

61 months ago

Heather in Dayton, Ohio said: I was convicted of a misdemeanor almost 20 yrs ago. I got it expunged. My question is on a job application when asked "if I've ever been convicted of a crime/misdemeanor" what should I answer?

What kind of job is it? And whos doing the background check and what type of background check? For instance agencies do private background checks, county hospitals do a "Live Scan" did that help?

ssbb in california

61 months ago

Cisco in San Leandro, California said:

hiii
did you hav any luck on job front yet?
I m in the same boat, i hav a misdemeanour shoplifting case 6 yrs back which got dismissed 2 yrs back...
I got denied job offer twice when my case was not dismissed.
now tat it is dismissed n i plan to apply for a new job, i m scared as to what will showup on background check.
do u hav ny idea if they hav any other law for sealing the case? or sealing is only applicable to juvenile cases?
plz advice, it will b of help to hear from u who is in the same boat as me.

gudluck

Heather in Dayton, Ohio

61 months ago

My charge was a Mmisdemeanor -Petit Theft. I know that once your record is expunged (which usually takes up to 90 days for the courts to notify people of the expungement) that it will always show up on FBI background but not on a BCI back ground. 4 years after my conviction I was able to get a security job (I know, right) and worked there for 13 years. They did a background check every year & never said anything to me about it. What kind of job are you looking for?

ssbb in california

61 months ago

Hi Heather
Thanks fr yr reply, I cant express how comforting yr words sound, probably bcuz this is the only success story I hav heard so far. I am looking fr a IT job. Since these dismissal laws differ frm state to state (I heard some states have this provision of sealing yr record aftr dismissal after some yrs), I am not sure what a state like California shows on a background check my a third party background check company.
Does it show a dismissed record or some sort of clean record?

Hit and Run in El Cajon, California

60 months ago

After several attempts I did land a job in San Diego. I did not disclose my record to a private employer and was hired after an extensive testing and interview process. After securing the job offer I was contacted by HR - they asked about my record. I explained that it was a misdemeanor hit and run charge and that it was expunged. They asked for documentation and I provided it. Shortly thereafter I was cleared to go to work. The background check that showed my conviction was conducted within 90 days of the expungement.

At the same time this employer was processing me in I interviewed for another position. They seemed very interested and asked for a background check before the offer was made. With that employer I did disclose the conviction as a misdemeanor. I was denied that position. Also I never got an interview from any government or private employer when I disclosed my conviction.

The employer that hired me sent me the Hire-Right Background check results. The hit and run offense showed as a felony. From my understanding the case was settled as a misdemeanor per my attorney. The court reduced the charge to a misdemeanor under Penal Code § 17(b)and I was able to keep my security clearance for my previous job.

So the bottom line is that my current employer still allowed me to report to work with a reported felony. However I am certain that my background check and record prevented me from obtaining work with other employers.

A.L. in Dayton, Ohio

60 months ago

Clearing your arrest or criminal record can be tricky. The first thing you need to do is consult an attorney to help you file a motion for expungement or record sealing.

Be careful though... When the court grants your expungement/sealing, they will ONLY report the information to a select number of agencies (just government). Large background check companies that hold digital information are never notified that your record has been altered. These background check companies obtain a record of arrest or conviction when it happens, but never follow up for changes. This is what you need to worry about when it comes to getting jobs in the future, or passing a check for an apartment or credit line.

There are Companies out there that notify these thousands of background check places & have them remove the record. Unless you want to take the time to do that yourself and know the right places to call, this may be the route for you: nedcenter.com/
National Expungement Database Center

Most attorneys don't tell you about the additional work that needs to be done in order to FULLY clean your record and prepare for a background check!

mklazema in Chapin, South Carolina

60 months ago

A.L. in Dayton, Ohio said: Clearing your arrest or criminal record can be tricky. The first thing you need to do is consult an attorney to help you file a motion for expungement or record sealing.

Be careful though... When the court grants your expungement/sealing, they will ONLY report the information to a select number of agencies (just government). Large background check companies that hold digital information are never notified that your record has been altered. These background check companies obtain a record of arrest or conviction when it happens, but never follow up for changes. This is what you need to worry about when it comes to getting jobs in the future, or passing a check for an apartment or credit line.

The Expungement Clearinghouse will free of charge expedite the updating of expungement information provided to many commercial background screening providers in the U.S. by securely sharing data about expunged criminal records with participating member companies.

Brittany

58 months ago

In Tennessee (graduate in 3 months with a Paralegal degree) the statue in our state says that so long as it is not violent in nature you can get it expunged after 5 years if under a diversion. For me that's next year in November. I can also say that yes the TBI in my case will expunge it however Ill have to save that paper once I do get it expunged and all these bogus websites will remove what the TBI/FBI already has. However the EEOC has issued a new guideline that states that employers can't turn you down for a job just because of a prior conviction. They are supposed to take into consideration things such as rehabilitation attempts (school, military etc.) time its been since the conviction, and previous jobs held without problems meaning(you held a job a JC Penny's w/o having any issues) on the other hand the problem is being able to prove that someone actually discriminated against you. So check your states statue and call your local Labor Board and see what they say. EEOC is a governmental Agency so their rules are across the country but California Statues may be quite different. from what I read on this site:(criminal.laws.com/expungements/california-expungement-laws)it only has to be a year since the conviction without any other trouble since "said" conviction and have fulfilled all the pre-requisites from the court (probation w/o violating which is good behavior) all minor marijuana charges will be expunged automatically after 2 years of good behavior. However there may be a fee you have to pay in order to get your record expunged. So call the clerks office in your county or city or wherever you went to court and she/he should be able to point you in the right direction. But the moral of the story is you're not alone and I would bet a weeks pay you will advise other people/children to not do the same. Just be glad that your theft under 5 gets expunged after 1 year and not 5. Life is full of decisions and I understand your pain.

J Harding in Mason, Ohio

58 months ago

Cisco in San Leandro, California said: Not true read what happened to me in the comments below.

You are wrong -- I not only think it is possible, I know it is true:
With 100% certainty, you are screwed as I have been, because
Yes, not "some" bit more and more companies are using those
Inexpensive sites like "checkmate" within their hiring practices and you bet,
It is on the down low!! The only single thing keeping any company of
Any size from using them is a tiny little disclaimer on sites front page
That states it is illegal to use their info for making hiring and credit decisions.
That is all it takes apparently for a site like that to open shop! Under the
Guise of checking on those you might date, or decide to trust when they
Move in next door, there are massive numbers
Of HR Depts and landlords using them illegally to make both hiring
& renting decisions everyday. It's just too easy, all they need to do is open a single
Personal account and check who ever they want, the site has no way of knowing "what"
Their information is being pulled for, and that is the SAD truth.
Only the wealthy can afford to pull the right strings in the US legal system
To make their problems go away. You watch this is going to become a huge
Civil rights issue ...how much freedom of information do we really want?

My career has already been destroyed by a misdemeanor,
Carrying a stigma and yes, an expo gable offense at that. It
Doesn't matter though, info can be found and there is no redemption
For the common man. Lawyers control the system, and sadly it keeps
Many honest hardworking people who get caught in this
Trap from ever getting a fair shake. I know this all to be true from
9 years of personal (hell) experience.

Attorney Morris in San Jose, California

58 months ago

Hello,

Full disclosure: I am an attorney practicing in California, and I work in expungements and other forms of post conviction relief (see www.socalexpungements.com). Also, by way of disclaimer: I cannot give legal advice out on the internet, and can only speak about this area of the law very generally.

So, to answer the original post (which is getting a bit old at this point). If you are convicted for a misdemeanor in California, it will show up on your California Department of Justice RAP sheet. If you successfully have your conviction expunged (under 1203.4 of the Penal Code) the conviction will not disappear from your RAP sheet, instead a new line will be added to the RAP sheet which will say something to the effect of "dismissed pursuant to 1203.4". People who can see your RAP sheet can still see that you were convicted and that it was subsequently dismissed. Your RAP sheet will likewise show if you were ever arrested, and what exactly you were arrested for, even if there was no conviction.

In California there is a way to remove arrests which didn't result in conviction, which is called a "petition of/for factual innocence" (under section 851.8 of the Penal Code). If successful, this will entirely remove an arrest from your RAP sheet.

In short, there are a lot of complicated rules related to expungements and the related forms of post conviction relief (which vary depending on what you were convicted of, but which include: "factual innocence petitions", "certificates of rehabilitation", "governor's pardons", and "early termination of probation"), so you should probably consider consulting with an attorney when possible.

NEWSLETTER

cat in Stockton, California

58 months ago

Attorney Morris in San Jose, California said: Hello,

In California there is a way to remove arrests which didn't result in conviction, which is called a "petition of/for factual innocence" (under section 851.8 of the Penal Code). If successful, this will entirely remove an arrest from your RAP sheet.

In short, there are a lot of complicated rules related to expungements and the related forms of post conviction relief (which vary depending on what you were convicted of, but which include: "factual innocence petitions", "certificates of rehabilitation", "governor's pardons", and "early termination of probation"), so you should probably consider consulting with an attorney when possible.

NEWSLETTER

If your criminal record is expunged, is it possible to then file a petition of/for factual innocence for that arrest?

If expungement is not going to make a difference as I'm applying for jobs in healthcare/hospitals, I'm wondering if I should save my time, gas, and $120 processing fee.

Resume Writer in Sewell, New Jersey

58 months ago

I run a nonprofit that writes resumes and cover letters for ex-offenders to get them back into the job market. I wouldn't worry much about a misdemeanor. A lot of companies only ask for felonies, and others hire ex-offenders.

If you get it expunged or sealed, you can just answer "No." It won't show up on background checks.

abc in Anaheim, California

58 months ago

Just to be clear,
In California, dismissal and expunged meant the same thing. What's on your record? Instead of having a clear record or convicted misdemeanor. You are looking at : Rap sheet ( the arrest, and how did u get arrested for), it's available for public and guess who will find it out soon enough? 2ndly, Your case will show the charge and case dismissed. ( However, the charge still there, employers will often judge you. Most of them know that you committed the crime and went through it as first time offender). It's up to the HR person/companies policies to get you a second chance or not. And if you are thinking dismissed case is not an issue, then you are wrong. Bank jobs are off the limit, there is a law that prohibited banks to hire anyone has record with theft, fraud etc. Also, while applying for state licenses, you need to disclose it fully. Therefore, getting a job in healthcare industries/ nurses/law enforcement = almost impossible since theft is a "moral turpitude" crime.
Positive side: by 2014 which is this year, most private companies can't ask about the arrest, that did not lead to conviction. Sound old? but they are enforcing it in HR guidelines atm. 3rd party background companies will have to do their background checks according the EEOC regulations. However, there is no guarantee that they won't go under the law and do it anyway since this law had been around for a while. Companies just ignored it.
In conclusion: When you are applying for a private businesses: chances are that your arrest will showed up and the charge with dismissed motion by the judge. If the new law works, the background companies won't able to report your arrest/dismissed case. Therefore, by 2014, it's your favorable year.
For government, any occupations with trust ( which mean like everything)will have a right to question your dismissed and consider your dismissed as a convicted crime because they simply don't want to hire anyone with any form of records

58 months ago

cat in Stockton, California said: If your criminal record is expunged, is it possible to then file a petition of/for factual innocence for that arrest?

If expungement is not going to make a difference as I'm applying for jobs in healthcare/hospitals, I'm wondering if I should save my time, gas, and $120 processing fee.

Depend on your case, if you went to jail/ attend a class/probation period. Any of those above will automatically disqualify you since you are not really innocence.

bit in Mcminnville, Oregon

58 months ago

So, heres my story. In 2012 I was involved in a situation where my friend stole something and she took off running when loss prevention asked us. I was arrested for being associated. Charged with theft a class A misdemeanor. I went to court. Did community service. Got it expunged. It took over a year for the companies to update my record and it showed up for that whole time. Now it's expunged after a year. I did FBI fingerprints on myself (cost $18, but take a 3 months to get) and nothing showed. They said my record was 100% clear. I'm trying to become a doctor so because I was associated with an idiot, my life should be ruined? No. It shouldn't. Since the fingerprints said I was clear, I hope that when I get into the medical field abs have fingerprints done for a background check that they'll be clear then too and won't showexpungements.

bit in Mcminnville, Oregon

58 months ago

I also was told I had no Rap sheet when I called the Fbi to verify the wording in the letter I received.

58 months ago

keep this in mind, i am talking about California. In California, expunged and dismissal are the same. Your state, i don't know i am sorry. Still, i wish it did really happen to you. Check on ur state's background clearance for doctor program is the best advice i can give you. Wish you luck !

Attorney Morris in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

Hi Cat:
I can't address any specific legal issues on the internet, but to answer your question in a general way:
If a person has been convicted of a crime in California, then a factual innocence petition is (normally) off the table. Factual innocence petitions are a way to have an arrest that didn't result in a conviction removed from your RAP sheet.

As for expungements in a licensing context (such as a nursing or real estate license application). It is my general experience that CA licensing boards often view expunged records favorably. Of course, every situation is unique, and as always, I would encourage you to contact an attorney to discuss your particular concerns.

--General Disclaimer--
I am an attorney practicing in California, and I work in expungements and other forms of post conviction relief (see www.socalexpungements.com). I cannot give legal advice out on the internet, and can only speak about this area of the law very generally.

virtualgod in San Jose, California

58 months ago

Cisco in San Leandro, California said:

Hi, Cisco in San Leandro. Are you open to a chat on the phone once? I have been through a similar nightmare and work in a private company at the moment. I was never convicted but I was charged with a crime. I know you have done a lot of research on 123.4, 851.8, DOJ records for state license. I have also read a lot about all of that. Can we talk once on the phone?

57 months ago

virtualgod in San Jose, California said: Hi, Cisco in San Leandro. Are you open to a chat on the phone once? I have been through a similar nightmare and work in a private company at the moment. I was never convicted but I was charged with a crime. I know you have done a lot of research on 123.4, 851.8, DOJ records for state license. I have also read a lot about all of that. Can we talk once on the phone?

First of all i want to point out that abc in Anaheim, California is correct, except they left out that theres two types of background checks here. And so is Attorney Morris in Dallas, Texas in regards to sealing of your record. Yes I am going through this nightmare right now.

Yes virtualgod in San Jose, California we can talk on the phone this is my email, Ciscobay123@gmail.com. When you say never convicted do you mean, you were convicted and later had it expunged or not once, ever, never entered a plea of guilty and had your case dismissed. If that the case you may be eligible to have your record sealed. However if it was expunged you are not eligible. Anyone if you want some real pointers email me for a up to date guide sheet that a SF legal team gave me a few months back.

57 months ago

Question is for everyone. When the time comes, will you personally advocate at the capitol for a change? For some kind of way to work towards your record being only visible to the judicial system after a reasonable amount of time? So that you are not branded with your crime, until the day you die? The pros and cons of that can be argued forever.

ilonaaas

57 months ago

I just got caught stealing at walmart there were no cops involved but the lp got my fingerprint and ssn will i have to go to court or will i just have to pay a fine?

57 months ago

it's depend on the place. Did he tell you that you getting ban from walmart? if that, you are at luck cuz no charge file against you. i think u got lucked out. it's the best thing can happen to u.

_plm in North Las Vegas, Nevada

57 months ago

abc in Anaheim, California said: it's depend on the place. Did he tell you that you getting ban from walmart? if that, you are at luck cuz no charge file against you. i think u got lucked out. it's the best thing can happen to u.

I was in a similar situation. I was caught at kmart shoplifting. They did not call the cops on me. They got my information. I later got a fee that I had to pay (which I did immediately). And was banned from the store. What does this mean for me in my case then?
Also, how do I get this on my record completely gone? If you tell me i need to get it expungated, then how do i do that? Especially if i dont have an attorney? I'm going into the medical field for grad school and want a clean record. Also I'm from vegas.

ilonasss in Mather, California

57 months ago

Just found out i got a court date for next month so there goes my career in the medical field all i know is the best thing to do is hire a attorney cause judges like that.

_plm in North Las Vegas, Nevada

57 months ago

ilonasss in Mather, California said: Just found out i got a court date for next month so there goes my career in the medical field all i know is the best thing to do is hire a attorney cause judges like that.

We're you notified via mail about going to court?

ilonaaas in Mather, California

57 months ago

yes they sent it to my mail

virtualgod in Austin, Texas

56 months ago

If you were arrested and then finger printed in the police station, FBI check will reveal that instantly. It will show up in live scan.
Court website will not list the arrest record but if the DA had decided to file a case against you or had filed, you will have a court file that is like open book that anyone can see. Also if you got disturbing the peace which is california Penal code 415 mostly, you were convicted of this charge. Expunge is a joke in california. In your court record it will still list the date of conviction and then the date of expungment saying dismissed later on so and so date. Technically, the case is dismissed but anyone can see that you were convicted. I was never convicted my case was a straight dismissal but anyone can still see it. However this is another joke law that I still think companies don't follow properly is not to violate labor code 432.7 that says any arrest that did not result in conviction, etc or if conviction is later withdrawn should not be reported in the BG check and should not be used against you. Who knows if companies follow this

virtualgod in Austin, Texas

56 months ago

And you are looking in the wrong section of the court website, if you will go to the criminal case records, practically anyone can see it

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.