How does employers check references?

Comments (43)

Ralph in Union, New Jersey

64 months ago

Long story short, I lied on my resume regarding my job experience. So far, I did extremely well on my phone interviews and they have asked me to come for a face to face interview.

I told them I worked at Best Buy for four years, which is a complete lie.

I have a friend who works at Best Buy and I listed him as a reference. He is willing to pretend to have been my manager to help me out.

So, my question is, how do employers check references? Will they simply call the number I gave them or will they contact Best Buy's HR department to verify my work history??

Bluetea in Texas

64 months ago

Ralph in Union, New Jersey said: Long story short, I lied on my resume regarding my job experience. So far, I did extremely well on my phone interviews and they have asked me to come for a face to face interview.

I have a friend who works at Best Buy and I listed him as a reference. He is willing to pretend to have been my manager to help me out.

So, my question is, how do employers check references? Will they simply call the number I gave them or will they contact Best Buy's HR department to verify my work history??

It depends on the company and the position. Usually its HR to HR or Payroll. Some companies will use 3rd party verifiers.

Large companies will not give out that information to just anybody today - not over the phone. That was 25 years ago.

Some small companies still call. Again, it depends.

64 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: It depends on the company and the position. Usually its HR to HR or Payroll. Some companies will use 3rd party verifiers.

Large companies will not give out that information to just anybody today - not over the phone. That was 25 years ago.

Some small companies still call. Again, it depends.

The company that is interviewing me is PNC bank

Bluetea in Texas

64 months ago

Ralph in Union, New Jersey said: The company that is interviewing me is PNC bank

I don't know their policy. However, my sister once had to "prove" that she worked for a bank that went belly up. The company that was hiring her used a 3rd party verifier. My sister and I save everything: paystubs, W2's, business cards, etc.

jobguy99 in Lithonia, Georgia

64 months ago

It depends, some companies will just call the number you provided.
After the financial crisis bank hiring has become very stringent,
but overall you should be ok.

Most major Corps, have an automated verification system, which
can be a bother to get thru.

64 months ago

jobguy99 in Lithonia, Georgia said: It depends, some companies will just call the number you provided.
After the financial crisis bank hiring has become very stringent,
but overall you should be ok.

Most major Corps, have an automated verification system, which
can be a bother to get thru.

Glad to hear I will most likely be OK.

Do you work in HR?

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

I see little chance that you will be OK. Banks the size of PNC will certainly use a 3rd party to verify your dates of employment and education. A company like Best Buy will have a dedicated hotline setup for this purpose (this also may be outsourced). You will be found out that you didn't work there for as long as you claimed.

How PNC will react, that depends on how big the lie is and how much they like you. But I've worked for major banks and I've gotta warn you - I doubt it'll work out in your favor.

Moral of the story: don't lie on resumes. Especially for something so easy to verify.

64 months ago

I am getting mixed answers here. I would love to hear what someone who works in HR has to say.

I read somewhere that employers are less likely to check for low paying jobs/ entry level job. Doesn't a teller classify as such?

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I see little chance that you will be OK. Banks the size of PNC will certainly use a 3rd party to verify your dates of employment and education. A company like Best Buy will have a dedicated hotline setup for this purpose (this also may be outsourced). You will be found out that you didn't work there for as long as you claimed.

How PNC will react, that depends on how big the lie is and how much they like you. But I've worked for major banks and I've gotta warn you - I doubt it'll work out in your favor.

Moral of the story: don't lie on resumes. Especially for something so easy to verify.

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois

64 months ago

The point is Ralph, you should NEVER LIE about your employment PERIOD! Especially if your future employer is a bank. If you are capable of doing this, then what else are you capable of???

Even the previous CEO of Yahoo! eventually got caught lying about their education and got fired!!!

64 months ago

You can pick through the answers and find the one you like best, but won't change that what is done is done. You lied on a resume and the facts won't back up your lie.

You are handling money - no bank is going to take the risk of hiring someone untrustworthy when handling large amounts of cash when a background check costs them less than $50. And no background check service will call your buddy. Hiring managers may call a reference to do a check, but that's not what background verification does. They exist simply to make sure you are who you say you are and you did what you said you did. In your case, you aren't what you represented and odds are slim they'll give you a job handling large amounts of cash.

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon

64 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: You can pick through the answers and find the one you like best, but won't change that what is done is done. You lied on a resume and the facts won't back up your lie.

You are handling money - no bank is going to take the risk of hiring someone untrustworthy when handling large amounts of cash when a background check costs them less than $50. And no background check service will call your buddy. Hiring managers may call a reference to do a check, but that's not what background verification does. They exist simply to make sure you are who you say you are and you did what you said you did. In your case, you aren't what you represented and odds are slim they'll give you a job handling large amounts of cash.

True. A background check will show you didn't work there. Most employers only say dates of hire these days anyway. They probably will contact your friend. It depends on whether they are paying attention on your background check or if they are just looking to make sure there is nothing criminal to report.

Bluetea in Texas

64 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: Even the previous CEO of Yahoo! eventually got caught lying about their education and got fired!!!

Then on the other hand, even Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer had jobs. - old HR joke.

When they asked Ted Bundy, if he had ever been convicted of a felony he said, "Convicted? No, ever convicted". Supposedly a true story.

Bluetea in Texas

64 months ago

Ralph in Union, New Jersey said: I am getting mixed answers here. I would love to hear what someone who works in HR has to say.

No, you would like to hear what someone from PNC's HR department has to say. Give them a ringy dingy.

"Er, Hullooooooo, I was wondering ...".

64 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: You can pick through the answers and find the one you like best, but won't change that what is done is done. You lied on a resume and the facts won't back up your lie.

After doing further research, it seems like Jobguy99 was right and your comments are nothing more than exaggerations.

According to www.transparentme.com/blog/can-an-employer-verify-my-work-history:

"When employers verify employment, the only thing they verify are the dates, names, and positions of employers that you have told them about – and all they do is simply call up the employer with the phone numbers you gave them!"

Reading that last line in the quote above brought me a lot of relief. You had me worried for a second there.

I have had previous jobs before. I am sure I can do the job with no problem. The only reason I lied about my Best Buy employment is because the teller position requires sales experience.

Anyway, I am keeping my finger crossed. Worst case scenario, I don't get hired and I learn my lesson from the experience then apply to another bank. It's not like teller positions are hard to find.

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio

64 months ago

Yep, I want a liar to take care of my hard-earned money.

Bluetea in Texas

64 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I love that the lesson learned here is "don't apply to another bank" instead of "don't lie on your resume".

The best part of all of this - you didn't need 4 years at Best Buy to qualify for a teller position. Since you seem to enjoy using Google, research a condition called mythomania. That's your bigger problem right now.

Some people are looking for opinions and others are looking for agreement. In a way, its a lot like being at work. Heh!

64 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Some people are looking for opinions and others are looking for agreement. In a way, its a lot like being at work. Heh!

Lol! Yeah but this one annoys me because unlike the thank you notes/follow up back and forth, this is someone with a total f'd up sense of morality. I'd say I'm glad I don't bank at PNC, but chances are this person won't be there anyways.

Time for me to get back to my TPS reports. You see, we're putting this new cover page on all TPS reports now......

Bluetea in Texas

64 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Lol! Yeah but this one annoys me because unlike the thank you notes/follow up back and forth, this is someone with a total f'd up sense of morality. I'd say I'm glad I don't bank at PNC, but chances are this person won't be there anyways.

Time for me to get back to my TPS reports. You see, we're putting this new cover page on all TPS reports now......

Yeeeeeeah, and if you could be in on Saturday that would be greaaaaaaaaaat!

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

64 months ago

Ralph,

Are you part of the Millennial Generation ?

What's so bad about just telling the truth...

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Lol! Yeah but this one annoys me because unlike the thank you notes/follow up back and forth, this is someone with a total f'd up sense of morality. I'd say I'm glad I don't bank at PNC, but chances are this person won't be there anyways.

I was thinking much the same. I don't have much sympathy for the guy, even in this crappy economy. He never needed to lie to get this job and banks DO background searches. I once worked for one and had no experience going in. Granted, times were different, but given this economy, he obviously sold himself well in the interview and not on the merits of his background. Many of us have education and experience and can't even get a freaking interview, so he has something going for him.

BTW, the most thorough background search I ever had done on me was a minimal paying job for a very small, private company. They checked everything there was to check on a person. You would have thought I was going to work for the F.B.I. LOL.

Bluetea in Texas

64 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: BTW, the most thorough background search I ever had done on me was a minimal paying job for a very small, private company. They checked everything there was to check on a person. You would have thought I was going to work for the F.B.I. LOL.

Same here! You would have thought that I was applying for the FBI.

By the way, where I live there are no school buses. Parents have to drive them a few miles to the nearest school bus stop. They don't have enough drivers because that background check is pretty extensive for a low wage job without benefits.

64 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Same here! You would have thought that I was applying for the FBI.

By the way, where I live there are no school buses. Parents have to drive them a few miles to the nearest school bus stop. They don't have enough drivers because that background check is pretty extensive for a low wage job without benefits.

I think it would take a special soul who would want to drive a bus full of screaming brats. Unless they really liked kids. Really liked them. Hence, the background check.

Ralph in Orange, New Jersey

63 months ago

LOL! I like how this thread became a judgment of my morality rather than people simply answering my question.

Oh, I am sorry. I didn't know your moral grounds were so high that reading about me lying would piss you off and offend you. My mistake.

They did a background check on me. I got a call today and was told everything checked out. They have confirmed my starting date and I am officially an employee of the bank.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: He never needed to lie to get this job and banks DO background searches. Many of us have education and experience and can't even get a freaking interview, so he has something going for him.

I tried telling the truth before. It didn't get me anywhere. I interviewed with 4 different banks and they all wanted someone with sales experience. And by "Sales experience", they mean someone who can talk to customers and make product recommendations.

I know that lying on a resume is wrong. But, if you think real life is that black and white, then you seriously need to get out more.

If lying on a resume is what it takes to keep me from starving, then HELL YEA I will BS my employer.

You think the majority of people are honest in their interviews?? Please... Wake up already.

Read these for a reality check:
www.gradschoolhub.com/resume/
www.statisticbrain.com/resume-falsification-statistics/

Bluetea in Texas

63 months ago

Ralph in Orange, New Jersey said: LOL! I like how this thread became a judgment of my morality rather than people simply answering my question.

Oh, I am sorry. I didn't know your moral grounds were so high that reading about me lying would piss you off and offend you. My mistake.

They did a background check on me. I got a call today and was told everything checked out. They have confirmed my starting date and I am officially an employee of the bank.

I tried telling the truth before. It didn't get me anywhere. I interviewed with 4 different banks and they all wanted someone with sales experience. And by "Sales experience", they mean someone who can talk to customers and make product recommendations.

I know that lying on a resume is wrong. But, if you think real life is that black and white, then you seriously need to get out more.

If lying on a resume is what it takes to keep me from starving, then HELL YEA I will BS my employer.

You think the majority of people are honest in their interviews?? Please... Wake up already.

Read these for a reality check:
www.gradschoolhub.com/resume/
www.statisticbrain.com/resume-falsification-statistics/

Even Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer had jobs. - old HR joke.

63 months ago

Glad you were able to get a job.

Ralph in East Orange, New Jersey

63 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said:

Glad you were able to get a job.

Thanks. Glad to see there were a few people who actually answered my question straight to the point rather than acting like some self-righteous ethicist.

63 months ago

Ralph in East Orange, New Jersey said: Thanks. Glad to see there were a few people who actually answered my question straight to the point rather than acting like some self-righteous ethicist.

It is every person for themselves these days.

Rde in Arizona

63 months ago

If Ralph actually did work at best buy then maybe PNC bank didn' t really care about the length of time he worked there, but if Ralph never worked at best buy at all then I would question PNC banks background checks for employees. If Ralph never worked for best buy then that would definetly come up in a routine background check. This definetly gives people an idea of how secure PNC bank is and I wouldn't want a bunch of money sitting in their banking establishment if they aren't even willing to be more secure with their background checks.
Reminds me of the med tech guy that infected a bunch of patients with hepatitis c because of his drug addiction and was let go from previous jobs because of drug issues & theft and yet somehow he was able to get another job as a med tech because the most recent company didn'their job with a complete and thorough backgroumd check on why he was let go from past jobs.

Ralph in Orange, New Jersey

63 months ago

Rde in Arizona said: If Ralph actually did work at best buy then maybe PNC bank didn' t really care about the length of time he worked there, but if Ralph never worked at best buy at all then I would question PNC banks background checks for employees. If Ralph never worked for best buy then that would definetly come up in a routine background check. This definetly gives people an idea of how secure PNC bank is and I wouldn't want a bunch of money sitting in their banking establishment if they aren't even willing to be more secure with their background checks.
Reminds me of the med tech guy that infected a bunch of patients with hepatitis c because of his drug addiction and was let go from previous jobs because of drug issues & theft and yet somehow he was able to get another job as a med tech because the most recent company didn'their job with a complete and thorough backgroumd check on why he was let go from past jobs.

A background check sounds more intimidating then it really is. It turned out, all they checked was my criminal records. I have never even had a parking ticket before, so I was all good to go.

bob in Wilmington, Delaware

59 months ago

Ralph in Orange, New Jersey said: A background check sounds more intimidating then it really is. It turned out, all they checked was my criminal records. I have never even had a parking ticket before, so I was all good to go.

so you got hired?

Kris in West Palm Beach, Florida

59 months ago

Jersey, if you got that job, you got VERY lucky and someone at PNC is incompetent to be truthful. I work for an employment verification company and we streamline the employment verification process for companies, small and large. The largest company like ours is The Work Number, owned by Equifax. PNC uses this company as do many companies that utilize ADP for their payroll services. If PNC did their job correctly, anyone verifying your employment would have been redirected to The Work Number. They would put in your SS#, name, DOB and they would receive a report back giving the dates you started and ended employment and whether you were eligible for rehire. This is becoming the industry standard so anyone here that is a part of this conversation...this is just a little advice. They typically do not care who you put down. All employees in an organization should always be referring verifiers to their 3rd party that handles them on their behalf. If you don't believe me, google "The Work Number Client List"

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

Kris in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Jersey, if you got that job, you got VERY lucky and someone at PNC is incompetent to be truthful. I work for an employment verification company and we streamline the employment verification process for companies, small and large. The largest company like ours is The Work Number, owned by Equifax. PNC uses this company as do many companies that utilize ADP for their payroll services. If PNC did their job correctly, anyone verifying your employment would have been redirected to The Work Number. They would put in your SS#, name, DOB and they would receive a report back giving the dates you started and ended employment and whether you were eligible for rehire. This is becoming the industry standard so anyone here that is a part of this conversation...this is just a little advice. They typically do not care who you put down. All employees in an organization should always be referring verifiers to their 3rd party that handles them on their behalf. If you don't believe me, google "The Work Number Client List"

I found this out the hard way. Many employers now use 3rd parties to handle verifications.

My problem was/is a prospective employer used a 3rd party handler and a previous employer used another 3rd party handler and I wasn't aware of any of this.

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia

59 months ago

It makes no sense to lie. If the job is meant for you, you will get it without having to worry so much about being discovered as you're doing now.

Grown Man III in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

Ralph in Union, New Jersey said: Long story short, I lied on my resume regarding my job experience. So far, I did extremely well on my phone interviews and they have asked me to come for a face to face interview.

Ralph, any update on this? I'm in a similar situation.

endoftheworld in Danbury, Connecticut

34 months ago

argh. had a VERY bad day and believe someone has told my next door neighbors that I am hallucinating the dog barking because it at it again and this couple either goes out at nite for classes or just go out but dog at it and NO bark collar or it not working. Both woman above me have dogs & 1 works for a dog rescue as a volunteer (I google stalked her found this out) She had claimed with that couple from H living UNDER her l/r w TWO dogs one a chichuahua which anyone who does not live under a rock knows how that dog breed can bark and bark but she claimed in an instance where i'd HAD IT one fri. nite where they went out, banged on my wall and yelled SHUT up and they came home at same time and asked HER not ME that she Did NOT HEAR this dog but after my research on her it like, she b the type to lie as she loves dogs.
in ANY event it NEVER a good idea to lie to an employer, EVER. I cannot believe this post is still alive and kickin.
Would I LIE if I KNEW I could get away w it YES but in this day and age, THAT is NOT possible.
The initial post irked me to NO end not sure I did not respond but I am not on here as much as ppl think esp. now, only read like 1 post a nite and that's it for me.
Just Do NOT lie ppl. if you r found out it not worth it and YES refs. WILL b checked even for the most simple of jobs and employers have EVERY rite to do this, 2 call HR & verify your employment & why you left.
And really do You really want to get hired on a lie? I certainly do NOT...

Not Donald Trump in New Jersey

34 months ago

Looks like Ralph has bounced around from Union to Orange to East Orange when he's written these comments.

The Oranges are shxtholes btw.

RealityGrl in Waukegan, Illinois

33 months ago

You guys are a bunch of damn prudes! It's not like he lied about being a child molestor to get a job at a daycare. He lied about his sales experience. If you think every person who works at a bank has high morals you need a reality check. He did what he had to do to get a job! SO what! It's not like he has a background in money laundering! People really need to get over themselves!

GuyfromNJ in Tenafly, New Jersey

9 months ago

I know this thread is a bit old, but I found it in a Google search because I'm in the same situation. I completely agree with Ralph, it really is a gray area. EVERYONE lies on their resume, EVERYONE, and anyone who says otherwise is full of it. Now there is a difference between lying about your criminal history vs your work history. It's not like the guy is pretending to be a lawyer or doctor. I am college educated with a freaking 4.0 and I couldn't find a good entry level job even if I slept with the hiring manager. Why? Because apparently I don't have enough experience despite busting myself up so I could work and go to school. What ever happened to a college education being worth something, especially with my gpa? gtfo You know how many college grads are out of work or stuck in some dead end job for the same reasons? So I decided to do what everyone else does and lie. Now I didn't lie about any of the companies I worked for, but I did lie about the job titles and some of what I did. Do I regret it? No. Should others do the same? Yes.

You people like to act all self righteous like if you've never broken a plate and I'd bet anything that the ones spouting the most bs are the ones who have done much worse than simply lying on a resume. Not to mention that those same people have no problem being fake since it's one of the main requirements of landing a job. I'm an honest person other than embellishing my resume and at least some of us prefer to lie on our resumes and get a job instead of choosing to go on food stamps and welfare. Hey, if the results come back and I don't get the job, oh well. I guess I'll just have to go the welfare office on Monday, rolls eyes.

Terrible in Dallas, Texas

8 months ago

My issue is the opposite, I can see the verification background check in progress and it shows that I lied about getting a degree when I had not (same school and attendance period though, if that matters for anything) but told the truth on all my experiences which should count for more than anything. Do I feel like an idiot now for lying? Absolutely.
Question is, should I immediately change my resume to reflect the truth on my education even if it outs me?
I'm also not certain who is actually reviewing the 3rd party background check showing the misinformation, is it HR or the interviewer? Who is it that will decide if that degree exaggeration is important or not, and who is it that will eventually see it and decide my fate?

8 months ago

Well lying about your education is a whole other enchilada. Lying about your experience or even your specific job duties is more about ethics, but lying about your education may be illegal. Plus, there’s also a system employers use to verify your degree. If you attended the school, but didn’t finish it’s better to not even mention it. It makes you seem unable to finish something in the eyes of potential employers. I’m telling you, the stupidest thing can cost you a job which is why I don’t feel guilty whatsoever about lying about my experience. I’m more than qualified to perform any of the stupid jobs I’ve applied for and I was getting rejected because I either didn’t have the right experience or whatever other bs they wanted to come up with. Worst case scenario: you won’t get the job. It’s honestly the most likely outcome. Listen I don’t judge but if you’re going to lie you have to make sure you can live with the consequences. I accepted mine and the worst that can happen is getting fired. Don’t feel guilty either because I personally understand how tough it is out there even for those of us who did get our degrees. There are a lot of employers out there who substitute experience for a degree.

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois

8 months ago

I feel like don't lie about something that may catch you up. Like saying you ran a company or taught classes in a certain software but in reality never even used it or that you are fluent in several languages and only know 'hello' in them. Just don't go overboard. I have a friend that is so scary she won't lie about anything like that and you can see right through her if she had to lie at work about something.

It's good to have those ethics, but when it comes to job searching you get to the point that lying is essential. I especially lie when they ask those 'tell me a time..' questions, making up whole stories. They can't prove it and if it impresses them and I get a job, even better.

8 months ago

Exactly, I would never lie about my skills or exaggerate them either. I have the skills and I have the education, I just don't have the "right" experience. I call it complete bs because I truly believe that most people will just hire you because they like you as a person and vice versa, even if you're not as qualified as someone else. I see it happen all the time, especially when I see the idiots that end up getting the jobs. And yes, I like knowing as much as I can about the competition because it's freaking tough out there and you if you want to come out on top you have to be willing to go the extra mile.

I was in terrible positions for a long time and my managers or supervisors were usually idiots, with very few exceptions. Now I'm not going to stay working in a place where my talents are wasted and where I'm heavily underpaid because some idiot hiring manager isn't convinced of my skills or whatever other bs as to why I didn't get the job. That's why my work experience sucks because I've jumped from bad job to bad job. So I put in my resume the job duties of my awful supervisors, which I could do much better btw, brought it down to a couple of employers, and extended the timeline. It's easy, you just have to know how to sell yourself, which is what a job interview is all about anyway.

People are fake anyway when it comes to interviewing for a job so I really don't understand why some people on here are acting all self righteous about lying on your resume. Those people are the most likely to be the ones like, "Oh, I would LOVE to work for this company because blah fake blah..." My point is that it is virtually impossible to get a good job without faking your life away about why you want to work there, etc.

Terrible in Dallas, Texas

8 months ago

So let's say I can see all the information the background check is providing to the employers in real time. Who's the one on the other end judging the indiscrepancies and deciding if it's worth it to hire me or not?

I read somewhere that instead of putting a degree on your resume, you can just put the years you were there, and most will not go into detail about it provided all the information is there.
Ex:
OLD VERSION:
Bachelors of Science in Biology, UTD, 20**
NEW VERSION:
University of Texas at Dallas, 20**-20**

I think that's a good idea and will use it in the future.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.