getting an associate's after a bachelor's

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

happywishes in Catasauqua, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

If I were you, I would look through the ads for a physical therapy assistant or a occupational therapy assistant if you haven't already. I'm sure they want someone experienced as well. The problem is that most companies don't want to pay to train their new employees anymore. After I got my BSBA degree, the only work I could find was retail at a department store for 3 years. I eventually worked for Manpower Temp agency so I could build skills and business experience. Manpower found me a job which hired me permanently months afterward. It was call center work doing customer service. It is now 12 years later, and that same company just fired me in October 2010 for not meeting company expectations. So now, the only real experience I have is answering phone calls and operating a computer, which is what just about anyone could do. My degree is useless. The only jobs that contact me are for selling insurance, which I am not interested in much. I'm assuming you have already tried a temporary agency. I'm currently in the same boat you are, wondering if I have to get my associate's degree in something more specific. I loathe the idea of throwing a huge sum of money away on another degree that is good for nothing because I have no experience. It sounds pointless to me. If you know someone, that is the only way you are getting work with no experience.

amoser in Van Buren, Arkansas

92 months ago

I just did the same thing! I finished with a Bachelors of Science in Education (major: Recreation) in May of 2009 and have done A LOT of research on the field... For me I feel awesome about going back to school even if it is for an associated degree! Job security and salary are more important to me than what others think about my 2 year degree... especially people who will be making less than me... whose smarter.... the person who spends 5k on all their schooling and makes 50-60k a year or a person who spent 100k on schooling and makes the same salary????

This is your decision! Do what you want! If you try to appease others you wont be happy! :)

Hope this encourages!

amberloubailey@gmail.com
e-mail me if you want to chat!!!

frustrated but hopeful in Iron Station, North Carolina

90 months ago

I can relate with all of you. I too graduated in May 2009 with a B.F.A. in Interior Design at a renowned private Art and Design school. I have been unable to find work in my field and now work sporadic hours in retail. I have now decided to go back to school and obtain an associates degree within a specific practice area. I too feel stuck. I have thought about what my friends from school will think about me getting a bachelors and going back to school to get a lesser certification but isn't it all just relative there are many successful people who never even went to college. I do feel guilty that my parents took out a ton of loans and I can't find work in my field nor am I interested in it anymore. But somehow I feel that I am making the right decision.

Tiffany in Minneapolis, Minnesota

90 months ago

but i think it's important to choose something that will actually be in demand this time around.

frustrated but hopeful in Charlotte, North Carolina

90 months ago

Tiffany in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I also hold a BA in a liberal arts field. I can relate to all of the posters about feeling lost and regretting the liberal arts degree. I wish I had gained specific job skills. I'm also looking at various 2-year degrees. But I worry about choosing something which is over-flooded in the marketplace and be left without a job and with loans. What Associate's Degree did you end up choosing? Thanks for any insights.

I'm looking into Merchanising and Product Development. I suggest thinking about what you're really passionate about and look into Associates degrees related to your interests. But you'll have to make the decision that is best for you.

Leannabama in Orlando, Florida

90 months ago

Oh wow. I have been struggling with this for quite some time. Maybe you guys can help me with my situation too haha. Bear with me... this is a little long winded.

I'm looking at a second bachelor's degree. I have a BA in studio art. I originally wanted to be a vet, but I failed chemistry and discovered my creative side. After graduating in 07, and working a few short stints as a vet tech and some retail jobs, I got lucky and found a great position as programming director for a non-profit performing arts center. I worked there for close to 3 years, all the while thinking about going back to school "one day" for something... maybe an mfa, or maybe art law, or maybe biology. Then my fiance got a job offer and we moved to florida.

So, now I am back to square one. I work a part-time and a full-time job in sales/retail and can't believe I am where I am with my job experience. For you guys struggling w/ not having job experience: even those of us with it are having a very hard time. I can't shake the feeling that I just need to go back to school-I have little debt, no credit cards, etc. however we can't survive on one income, AND we are getting married this fall, so there are a lot expenses/reasons for me to stay fully employed. My main issue here- I have no idea what I want to go back for and am overwhelmed with the decision. I'm capable of being successful in a few areas, but I don't want to make the wrong decision, and hate the thought of wasting my parent's money if I don't use my BA. I am paralyzed about what to do.

Kudos for those of you who at least have an idea of your next step! I also don't know if I would have to completely redo my bachelors, switching from fine art to biology or a pre-vet course, and don't know who to ask a/b this. At least with art law/MFA I use my BA. Ugh. Any advice?

SpeakEasy in Cleveland, Ohio

89 months ago

One way to use your Bachelor's degree is by continuing your education in a Master's program or Law school -- after all, they both require a Bachelor's Degree. Keep in mind that, generally, the more marketable a degree is, the harder it will be to get in. For instance, Law School is tough to gain entry (you have to have a good undergrad GPA and good scores on the LSAT) but it is one of the more marketable degrees. Many Master's Level health-related degrees are marketable (Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy, Nursing, etc) but, again, competition to gain entry is stiff. Know that most Master's and Law Degrees do not care what your undergrad major was as long as your gpa was good. Hope this helps!

Joe jobless in (H)elmira, New York in Endicott, New York

89 months ago

emily09 in East Alton, Illinois said: This is long and winding....but maybe I can get advice from someone who's been in my position.....or hear from someone who is considering what I am considering....I've love any advice

I am considering going to a community college to get an associate's to be a either 1)a physical therapy assistant or 2) occupational therapy assistant. (I've also looked at an accelerated bachelor's in nursing) I am wondering (and maybe this is low self esteem, or "worrying too much about what other's think", as my parents say): does it "look bad" to go back to school for an associate's, instead of getting a master's? Does it look like I couldn't handle the rigors of grad school so I had to move down to an associate's instead?

I graduated in May 09 with a bachelor's in geography and have been unable to find work. That is my fault entirely - I really regret majoring in a liberal art. I did think that I would get a job as a GIS analyst, but many of the jobs I find want 2-5 years experience starting out. I just have no interest in it anymore and it makes no sense to me to hide in grad school for 2 years and accrue more debt in a discipline I am no longer interested in. No sense at all. Yes, I could teach community college with the master's but I don't want to do that either.

What I regret not getting, and what I wish I HAD NOW, is job skills. If I go back to school, if I invest time and money, it has to be toward a degree that give me job skills, and that will lead to immediate and long-term employment in a specific occupation. That means only one thing to me: an associate's for a specific occupation. Is that so wrong? I am just mentally hung up on thinking the only way to go is UP (to the master's).

I have had these thoughts in my head forever. I have no one to talk to and I thought I might find people on here to talk about it....

Yes, keep going to college! Why come this far to quit now?

Joe jobless in (H)elmira, New York in Endicott, New York

89 months ago

Yes keep going to college! Why come this far to quit now? If your masters degree is the last stop on the the tour to getting a real job or career then I say go all the way. Your chance of success in this dismal economy will definately heighten, I know because I did not go to college and I am unemployed. Going to college will not gaurentee you a job or a career but it will strengthen any and all chances you might have. Most places I apply to for work require high school education and college education so dont stop now. And food for thought; this world we live in is severly over populated so not all of us are going to find stable work. You have an edge so use it!

Keep up the good fight in Sharon, Massachusetts

89 months ago

I just wanted to respond to Happy Wishes. I don't think that your experience is useless. I have a BS in Accounting and unfortunately I had been "downsized" and lost interest. I took Administrative Support temp jobs, but well it gets old looking for a new job after your assignment is finished. I have noticed a lot of call center jobs with Verizon or with health insurance company, but unfortunately I am hearing impaired. Your call center experience is valuable !!!

Keep up the good fight in Sharon, Massachusetts

89 months ago

I share your question. I actually asked my Rehab counsilor that and she didn't know, but that was 10 years ago. I think things are different today. In my 20's and 30's I was thinking of going back for an Associates, but well just couldn't decide on what. I thought about Sonography or Xray Tech, but the programs I saw were full with long waiting list.

I majored in Accounting (BS) so people view it as being easy to find a job (I got laid off 3 times in clerical AP/AR positions.) My background is now varied and I am finding it hard to get interviews. It is actually very hard to get an Accounting job out of college if you do not do an internship. I do take full responsibility with losing interest.

If you go back for an Associates I would definitely intern or volunteer immediately. Even if you are currently working. You could volunteer in your chosen field 4 hours a week or so. It might even help you decide. Especially if you can make friends with people in the field.

dadoosh00 in San Francisco, California

89 months ago

I got my BS in accounting. I worked at 3 companies in 5 different accounting positions. I was making good money - around $80k. Finally, I figured out it was not the job for me. You have to be flexible in life and follow your heart and your passions.

So I went back to school to get my BS in health care administration. Don't remember how I found this programs - think it may have been onlineschoolsohio.com - this site lists lots of programs in Ohio. I went to UOP in cleveland.

But anyway, I found my passion working with people who need me. You'll find yours. Be flexible and keep learning.

dadoosh00 in San Francisco, California

89 months ago

here is the site i used. FYI - I attended school in Ohio. But finally found a job in San Francisco. Funny how life takes you places.
www.onlineschoolsohio.com/

needajob in Chicago, Illinois

89 months ago

I too have been looking for employment since May 2009. BA in Business Administration. little to no real experience. I have applied for the retail positions with no luck. Would it be wise to eliminate some information from my resume so that I'm not "over qualified" for a position.
And if you have gone back to get an associate's, how did you come about finding what to study?

ekh in Yakima, Washington

88 months ago

Careful with huge financial investments like law school - it will run you about $100K and the demand for attorneys is going down (more work is being given to paralegals since they are so much cheaper!) I know a lot of people with their J.D. who can't find a job.

vnessm in Beaufort, South Carolina

85 months ago

for leannabama in Florida.... I'm interested to hear about the nonprofit company you worked for. I have my bachelors in Studio Art with an emphasis in painting. My whole life I always wanted to be an art teacher. Plan was to get b.a. in studio art, then M.A.T. in art education. However, two months before graduating I started teaching some painting classes to kids...and realized that its definitely not for me. One hour made my head pound like I had been there for 8! Now I am completely regretting getting the degree I got. On the one interview i got out of 70 jobs applied to in 2 months, the person kept saying " now you know this isn't a creative position.. etc". I didn't realize that art majors would be automatically judged as not even knowing how to use a computer or answer a phone for a receptionist position. Anyway, I am thinking about getting my Masters in Public Administration. It's non profit based, but you can pick between urban planning, arts management, and non profit for a narrowed emphasis . I just wanted to hear your input or anyone else's for that matter about if that would be a useless degree as well. I really need to get a degree either masters or even an associates (hands on training, more specific, internships) that will help me get a job! I'm so confused about what to go for. I would love to be an art therapist but my dad talked me out of it because of the cost of the program and that art therapists annual pay is not high (some less than teaching). A visual merchandiser would be a great job but I don't even know where to begin with that. Sorry for the long letter like post. Stress level is ultimate high, and so frustrated with myself for getting a degree that appears to be beyond pointless.

Thanks to anyone who reads this. :)

Jessi in Little Rock, Arkansas

83 months ago

I too, am in the same boat. I kept thinking I was the only one with this issue until I came across this post.

I recently graduated with a BA in Mass Communications (Radio, TV, & Film) and minor in Web Design. Shortly after graduating I realized that news was not for me and most in news only get hired after college and experience in Journalism, not Mass Communications. Radio is sort of dying out everywhere and the film community in Little Rock is nonexistent. I'm not particularly able to move either with loans, the cost of living elsewhere, and my family.

I luckily got a job for a marketing/production company that allows me to do web design but the pay is. I was making the same here as I was at Starbucks in college. Most of my coworkers don't even have a college degree! I found that most people around here who actually make money in Web Design freelance, but I feel like I lack experience to promote working for myself and I have no biz/marketing skills.

I'm tossing up the idea of going back to school for a certificate or another Associates. If anything, my financial adviser told me that my loans would be deferred as long as I was back in school and qualify for govt financial aid, which I do. It would be nice not having to pay interest which is about .18/per day/per loan. The interest adds up quick! And two years do go by quick.

I picked two colleges in my area and looked thru their handbooks to see all the Associates/Certificates they offer. I made a list of anything that I could see myself doing and would be happy doing long-term. I'm horrible in math, so I threw out any that required more math classes. To help me narrow it down more, I evaluated those few choices and looked at what jobs are available locally and which could offer more pay.

Mike

83 months ago

Guys, don't you realize its the economy we live in. Once you get done with that Associates degree after a BA or BS you'll realize its not enough either. I don't have any viable solutions for you but going back to school to get anything less than a masters degree would seemingly be a waste of time in my opinion.

Mike

83 months ago

Mary agreed. Employers are requiring Masters' degrees for jobs that you and I both know can be fulfilled by people with bachelors degrees or experienced non degree holders. I was just sayin if they are gunnin for another degree mine as well go up instead of down. I'm with you though I know plenty of people with graduate degrees who are in the same boat as us.

Facing a Crossroads in Stevens Point, Wisconsin

81 months ago

I can relate to all of these postings for the most part, except my story is a little different. This is a little long winded, so please be patient.

Instead of graduating with my Bachelor of Science (Major: Social Sciences, Minor: Psychology), I took time off a few years ago. I thought if I could get work experience, or maybe even transfer, that anything would be better than the major I was going for. It felt so unemployable. Well, I just returned back to my bachelors program. I couldnt find work even with my experience in retail/sales/ "people" jobs.
So now, I am going to be graduating with my BSc degree in Social Sciences and Psychology in May (Although I am thinking of adding a business minor, but are minors even worth anything these days??)
Any ideas?

I have been thinking of starting an associates in marketing once I get my bachelors. Marketing/Advertising/Anything in a creative business field is where my heart lies. I also have some published writing (mainly articles or reviews). I have looked at graduate programs in advertising related programs, but many either have too high of GPA requirements (something I also think would improve if I earned an associates..but then I am not sure if associates courses officially counts in your undergraduate GPA?), or they have the requirement of a bachelors degree in a major such a journalism, communication, marketing,etc.

I am stuck! I know I need to graduate, because a degree is absolutely necessary these days, and I have too many credits to transfer (not to mention I don't want to transfer).. I've thought about getting an MBA from a school with a lesser GPA requirement, there a few I have found who only want a 2.75 and I have a little higher than that overall. Otherwise, I want to somehow raise my GPA after graduation to over a 3.0 so I have a shot at some decent graduate programs.

khb in Alabama

81 months ago

I feel the same way as many of you. I graduated in December of 2009 with a Bachelor's of Science in Biology. I had 2 jobs all the way through college. I figured when I graduated I could get a job in a lab. Well, was I completely wrong! There were no jobs at all. So, now here I am going back to school for an associates in MLT. Hopefully, after I graduate again I can find a job. Many of the clinical sites will hire after graduation. My first clinical site told me that they were going to have 6 people retiring in the next 2 years, so that make me hopeful. There are only 10 people in our program, so this is promising. Everyone just keep your hopes up!

Berry in Chicago, Illinois

81 months ago

So you think that they will take 6 of the 10 in your class? Like your class is the only ones qualified for the job? Stop. Don't waste you time, you will be over qualified if you get another degree, it is not worth being in debt for!

khb in Alabama

80 months ago

No, I do not believe that they will hire 6 out of 10 in the class. I said that there are 6 retiring. Which makes me hopeful that there will be at least one opening that I can fill. This is what I want to do with my life. I am not going into debt, I'm paying for it myself. I haven't ever taken out any student loans and I don't plan too. This is definitely worth it for me and I am NOT wasting my time :) thanks!

Tech King in Highland Park, Michigan

80 months ago

KHB in Alabama said: I. I graduated in December of 2009 with a Bachelor's of Science in Biology. I had 2 jobs all the way through college. QUOTE]

If you have a Bachelor's and 2 jobs, what happened? You quit both of them? Are you going back to school to better your chances of getting a job with an Associates? In that case I would not even mention that you have a Bachelor's. It is like going back to Pre School after you atarted 1st grade, you are going backwards in life. You can take online classes for the classes that you want to take in addition to your degree.

RN lmao in Washington, District of Columbia

80 months ago

Tech King in Highland Park, Michigan said:

This is not true. One of my friends has two Masters, one in musicology and the other in Library Science. He just finished his associated in nursing and will start a perioperative (operating room) residency soon. This is not moving backwards as the degrees are not related. He will be able to use his masters later if he wishes to go into management. It's not like "going back to pre-school" since there are many pathways in education. It's not necessarily linear.

RN lmao in Washington, District of Columbia

80 months ago

Sorry for the typo. Insert "Associates" for the ASN degree.

Jesse in Reedley, California

80 months ago

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts. I am going through the same situation I have a BA in Communication (radio, Television and Film)from Texas where I've applied for jobs and did not get any reponse. I just relocated to California in hopes of finding a job in my field still no luck so before deciding on going on embarking on Master in film making from UCLA I've been trying to look into other options maybe a MBA or ASN (Associate degree in Nursing 'RN')been really confused becuase I hate for my 4yrs in college to be wasted and If getting an Associate degree is really worth it after having a BA or I could go for my masters aquire more debt and still be jobless. Lifes a B**ch.

Ryan in Ventura, California

80 months ago

Jesse--I'm in a similar situation. I also completed a bachelor's in communications (but in print media). I relocated to California more than 10 years ago and have been struggling to find gainful, lasting employment in the field. I also went post-grad and completed a teaching credential. Now I'm looking at returning to school for associates/technical training. (Third time is the charm?) Feeling that need to "move forward," I also looked at MBA and law programs; yet neither the corporate world or court room would suit my personality whatsoever. I might have a technical writing gig lined up, and I'm still waiting on a response. Good luck to you.

Camille in Cicero, New York

79 months ago

I am so happy I found this forum! I have a BS in Technical Management with a concentration in Hospitality Management and I can't seem to find a career. I work as a receptionist as a school now and decided that I want to go get an Associates degree in HR Specialist so I can get some real knowledge. They will give me an internship and there is 100% placement rate!!! After this I will pursue my Master's in HR. I just decided that I know what is best for me and if someone says its backwards it not. Its another degree needed.

**Don't want to work hotel front desk. Ultimately I see myself working in the HR department in a hotel. **

Thank you to everyone that shared their own experience.

MiaBella in Rego Park, New York

79 months ago

I am in the same situation as all of you.
I graduated ten years ago with a BA in Theater, I had great dreams I guess, but I thought just having a degree any degree would help me go somewhere. I have had worse jobs since getting my degree then I did before I got it.
Now, I've gotten stuck in working as a Flight Attendant and I can't stand it, but it seems to be the only service industry job that pays well and gives benefits. I've said I should go back to school over and over again and haven't done it because I'm in a ton of debt and really can't afford to sink any further. However, I've also been spinning in circles since I haven't gone back to school. Nothing has changed in my life and I just end up more and more depressed, so I think if you are thinking of going back you might as well, it can't hurt you and no matter how much debt you get into with education, at least they can't repossess that.

Camille in Syracuse, New York

79 months ago

MiaBella in Rego Park, New York said: I am in the same situation as all of you.
I graduated ten years ago with a BA in Theater, I had great dreams I guess, but I thought just having a degree any degree would help me go somewhere. I have had worse jobs since getting my degree then I did before I got it.
Now, I've gotten stuck in working as a Flight Attendant and I can't stand it, but it seems to be the only service industry job that pays well and gives benefits. I've said I should go back to school over and over again and haven't done it because I'm in a ton of debt and really can't afford to sink any further. However, I've also been spinning in circles since I haven't gone back to school. Nothing has changed in my life and I just end up more and more depressed, so I think if you are thinking of going back you might as well, it can't hurt you and no matter how much debt you get into with education, at least they can't repossess that.

Hi Miabella!

I was a flight attendant too :) I liked it. Well have you thought about maybe working your way up in the training area?? Just a thought :)

What I decided after my posting: I went back to school to earn an associates in HR. After coompleting this in August of this year I will try to do my Master's in HR :)

It's awesome having the Bachelor's already because we transfer so many credits.

Good luck with everything.
Camille

Christina in Minneapolis, Minnesota

78 months ago

I did it, and am happy that I did.

I have a BFA, and had 10 years experience in advertising, but wanted a change. I have always had a passion for architecture, so was initially going to go back for a degree in interior design, but the employment situation started to tank, so I decided to go back for something that would help me regardless of where I landed.

I settled on an Associates in Business Management, and it's worked out very well for me. Don't forget, once you're a student - you're also eligible for internships, which is a GREAT way to get your foot in the door (assuming that you're able to survive on a minimal paycheck).

Good luck to hall, and kudos for thinking creatively, rather than sitting around crying about how there are no jobs out there. Those who are willing to work at getting work will be rewarded!

~ C

Camille in Cicero, New York

78 months ago

Good Luck Christina from Minnesota!!!

Carlo221 in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

Hi think the same thing, I going to have a bachelors degree in Health education/Public health and Im actually thinking about going back to community college to get my ASN degree.

findajobspot in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

I don't think its downgrading to get an Associates if you already have a Bachelor's. It all depends on what type of work you are considering. Having an Associates degree is a good idea for apprentice type work or for a specific industry that is requiring some type of training.

Many Associate degrees are industry specific and will give you hands on experience. It also impresses the employer to see someone who decided to go back to school to train for another field. It shows hard work and a willingness to reinvent yourself especially in a tough economy.

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

Employers can look at anything in a negative light, including going back for an Associate's when you already have a Bachelor's. To wit:

1) You'll appear to have given up on your chosen field of study

2) You aren't ambitious

3) You are regressing into another field

4) You have chosen to depart your field of study for another, lesser, field, so you can't return to your original field of study.

See, they can twist it any way they want if it gives them an excuse to discard you.

findajobspot in Florida

74 months ago

I disagree with this particularly considering the times we are living in. Employers will understand and respect someone who is trying to reinvent themselves. I'd bet 70% of college students are unhappy with their career field right now primarily because of the economy. If you can't find a job in the career field that your degree is in then what are you supposed to do? You have to adapt and change with the times even if it means going back to school or learning a new field.

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

I agree to a point. My post was what the employer's perspective might be. See, their job is to pare down the list of candidates, and they use any criteria onto which they can get their hands. You have to be the perfect candidate nowadays to get hired. That was my point.

findajobspot in Florida

74 months ago

I agree with that point but in the eyes of a good HR Manager or other mature hiring manager a person who shows the dedication and work ethic to change careers in a bad economy shows heart. That's the kind of employee they would want to hire because they are adaptable. That's a good quality to have as an employee.

Bean counter in San Jose, California

74 months ago

If you already have a Bachelor degree and contemplating going for an associate degree, you first need to find out:

The credits needed to complete a second Bachelor (or even a Master, yes, many folks' master degree is completely different from their undergraduate degree) in your now chosen field.

Then compare the time it takes to get your associate degree ... considering some credit from your BS can be applied to this associate degree.

If the difference is not significant, it looks much better to have a second BS or Master in your resume.

74 months ago

I don't understand why would any one want to major in HR....It's best to get a business degree as it includes HR course and is better overall for various jobs in the business world. (Just my 2 cents: HR is the most despised dept in the corporate world, do you research, go for it if you can deal with an unethical and heartless work environment, unless you only do the HR paperwork, e.g. process benefits etc.)

To get a feel what it takes to find a job in your future chosen field and position level, I suggest:
Go to L i n k e d i n (not allowed to cite another site here, hence the space) and look at those who already worked in, e.g. HR and see their profiles in the companies that you are interested in. You will get an idea of what kind of qualification -- education, experience and career path -- especially how/what entry level position these folks started.. . it's pretty interesting.

Marj in Baltimore, Maryland

74 months ago

Does anyone know if it would be worthwhile for someone with a Mechanical Engineering degree to get an Associate's Degree in Biology or Chemistry? They are both fields I am interested in pursuing, but I am unsure if getting an Associate's degree would be worth going for.

74 months ago

An associate degree is only good for learning a trade, e.g. automotive repair. It's a very competitive world out there, you can't beat those with BS or MS in your chosen field. As I mentioned earlier, look up L I N K E D I N and see if any one with an associate degree got the position level they wanted.

In your case, I've seen both degree holders -- Bio and Chem -- even with MS and Phd have a real hard time in getting decent jobs. And when they do, the pay sucks!

I would forget about getting an associate degree.

phriot in Worcester, Massachusetts

74 months ago

Marj in Baltimore, Maryland said: Does anyone know if it would be worthwhile for someone with a Mechanical Engineering degree to get an Associate's Degree in Biology or Chemistry? They are both fields I am interested in pursuing, but I am unsure if getting an Associate's degree would be worth going for.

I don't believe that it would be very smart for someone in your position to get an Associate's Degree in either of those fields. From my experience browsing biotech/pharmaceutical job boards, such a degree would only qualify you for a part-time lab assistant position. Most of these positions that I've come across rarely even involve one actually running experiments; more often your responsibilities would be ordering and stocking lab supplies. If a company were to consider you to have the equivalent of a BS in Biology/Chemistry due to your previous degree (Which they probably wouldn't, most Community Colleges seem to offer only Biology/Chemistry courses through the Sophomore level.), then perhaps you'd be able to find work as a Research Technician, where for at least a few years, all you'd get to do is repeat very simple procedures, such as PCRs or HPLCs, for low pay - if you were even lucky enough to find a job. (Go look in this forum for the "BS in Biology, can't find a job" thread.)

What specifically do you want to do with Biology or Chemistry?

fishgul69 in Greensboro, North Carolina

74 months ago

I thought I was completely alone in this. I have this weird notion that everyone in the world knows EXACTLY what they should be doing, are doing it and I'm the only bone head that has no direction.

I have a BA in Sociology and wanted to move into Psychology. I lost interest in both and then regained interest after graduating and thought I could get into family counseling through child care (they pay for schooling). I loathe my job and I just want to get out.

My dilemma is I don't know whether to go to school for 2 years and become a medical tech (making MUCH more money than I'm making now) or go for my passion, art (which has the POTENTIAL of making money, barring I choose the correct field/profession).

One path seems to be shorter than the other and I know that in some way I can do both if I stick with it. I think I am so frustrated with my lack of experience and skills that I'm just reaching for anything here.

My only question is how to make my resume look like it's worth anything with very little experience? I've only worked two jobs that have any transferable skills (child care: people skills, 2nd job: customer relations), basically no references and all other "skills" are really common things other people can do.

Help.

SCB in Saint Anthony, Idaho

73 months ago

I am in the same boat. I have looked at the second bachelors route, but I have decided to stop it. And apply that wonderful two words to my hesitation. I will either go to the local IT college, or go with the work force training department and switch entirely into that, so that I can get relevant training in the field I want

Great reasons to choose an associates over a second bachelors:
1) the Cost
2) The flexibility

I am going backwards I guess to some people, but the Entry level masters programs I looked at are on the east coast. No time, no money to go back east to pursue those.

And I do not regret getting my bachelors of arts in Political Science. Not once! In fact I still want to work in the public realm, just in health care. So I have options. Options, and more options.

Go for it and if you are concerned about it don't worry, it will pass.

But first a bit of advice: If you are in financial problems, first fix your debt, then go to school. It is what I am going to do now. It seems the smartest way to end up out of debt is to find that elusive job.

mary in Tampa, Florida

73 months ago

There is another form of an AA. Started a few years ago. Has fancier marketing. A graduate degree is fairly comparative tgo an AA. An AA includes basic core classes (accounting, English, lunchbreak). The graduate gives you master's degree credits. But considering the job market, does it really matter?

I was going to do a graduate certificate in Reading - thinking it would help me get a teaching job. Those same reading courses are available in an online school program for $300 each. The graduate courses are like $1,500 each.

shyjoey in New York, New York

72 months ago

God dammit, this is depressing.
I am going to kill myself.. i can't find a job. My parents borrow a bunch of money, now i can't pay them back. They kicked me out of the house and on top of that, a bookshelf fell on my face and now partially disfigured. I have 63 dollars and I'm hungry.

Camille in Syracuse, New York

72 months ago

Shyguy in NY. Try to stay positive. This may be just a down time for you and things will look up. Just keep trying.
Hope it gets better for you.

72 months ago

Many of us are in the same situation as yours... this can't last forever. Exercise, take a brisk walk at least, get sweaty, you'll feel better... we need to pick up ourselves and keep going...

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.