Recent college grad that can't find a job

Comments (17)

bkap in Tehachapi, California

10 months ago

I graduated one month ago with a bachelors degree in business administration. I have applied to 500+ jobs, but have received no offers. I am scared that I might not be able to find a job because I don't have any professional experience. I have three years of customer service experience, but employers don't seem impressed by it. I don't know what to do. I have tried networking and created a linked in profile. I attended career fairs in college, but that didn't help. I use multiple job sites to find and apply to jobs. I even fixed up my resume. I don't know what to do at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Noemi in Illinois

10 months ago

Keep looking. I have heard looking for a job is a job. I was looking for a job almost 2 years until I found something. I don't have a bachelors degree that's why it was a little harder for me to find a job. Luckily I found a job. Keep looking something will be open for you.

marcjacobsdolce in Charlotte, North Carolina

10 months ago

bkap in Tehachapi, California said: I graduated one month ago with a bachelors degree in business administration. I have applied to 500+ jobs, but have received no offers. I am scared that I might not be able to find a job because I don't have any professional experience. I have three years of customer service experience, but employers don't seem impressed by it. I don't know what to do. I have tried networking and created a linked in profile. I attended career fairs in college, but that didn't help. I use multiple job sites to find and apply to jobs. I even fixed up my resume. I don't know what to do at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When applying to jobs online, the chances are slim as there is only one spot and for entry level positions, likely over hundreds of people literally apply to one position. So firstly, don't beat yourself up for not getting an offer yet or getting rejected for interviews. The trick for someone without experience is to utilize your experience during academia to demonstrate you can do the same thing. For example, if a position asks that you are able to be a team player, talk about how you mobilized a team during a group project and the outcome.
You really should try hard to tap into your alumni network, after all, you have spent a lot of money on the college degree. It is tricky to network and networks takes time to nurture. Try targeting senior level alumni and companies that are hiring a lot of people. Don't frame it as you need a job, but really try to learn from the alumni. Follow up with them, and have them pass your resume forward.

bkap in Tehachapi, California

7 months ago

I still haven't found a job yet. I have applied to 1000+ jobs at this point. I have listened to the advice given to me and have tried but received no results.

Someone100 in Florida

6 months ago

There's a catch 22-to get a job you need experience but how do you get that experience if no one will hire you? I graduated college five years ago but I got some experience by working on campus in a work study job as part of my financial aid package. I got a job offer two months after graduating. I don't recall exactly how many interviews I had but it was a small number.

The place I worked at was sold shortly after I started and my position was eliminated less than a year later. After six months of unsuccessful job searching locally, I then started looking for a job in DC, traveled there for an interview and got hired immediately.

Fast forward three years later I left DC and moved back. Prior to moving I got a job offer which was contingent on passing a background check, which I did, but they put the job on hold shortly after the background check was complete. So now I'm back to square one. I thought that gaining more experience and a certification would help me find a job but now it feels like it will be another six months or longer before I find another job again.

For any given job opening, there are often dozens, if not hundreds of other applicants. Indeed, most jobs I applied to on Zip Recruiter have this:

Other applicants: 100+

I believed I defyed the odds when I got the job and DC and will have to do so again this time.

sulan88 in Newton, Massachusetts

6 months ago

bkap in Tehachapi, California said: I still haven't found a job yet. I have applied to 1000+ jobs at this point. I have listened to the advice given to me and have tried but received no results.

Perhaps you should try temp work so that you can get your foot in the door. Many times firms hire temps for a position while they are looking for a permanent employee but you show a good attitude and willingness to learn you might end up nabbing the job.

Nick Dere in Torrance, California

6 months ago

First congrats, i graduated in 2012 at a CSU and I still haven't found a permanent job so you're not alone (not including a seasonal job in 2014). So you're not the only one and it sucks not having real world experience that they want. I get rejected for entry level positions.

shaniecelynn in Ypsilanti, Michigan

6 months ago

bkap in Tehachapi, California said: I still haven't found a job yet. I have applied to 1000+ jobs at this point. I have listened to the advice given to me and have tried but received no results.

Are you quick applying with Indeed, ZipRecruiter, etc? Quick applying has its cons such as convenience and pros such as thousands of other applicants. Thousands of people quickly applying for a job can slow down the process, as there are too many applicants for the recruiter to actually view or multiple people applying and applications not making it to the recruiter. On the other hand the convenience to apply to so many can seem easy, however, some companies may want to see if you are willing to go through the long process to complete an application through their career site. As someone stated above job searching is a job itself, but stay positive your career is out there. Try changing your environment where you search, go to the coffee shop or bookstore, that way you can have a drink and relax more or pause and read a book/magazine. Best of luck!

scarletamine in Chicago, Illinois

6 months ago

Hey, If you haven't found a job yet, don't stress out. I also graduated with a bachelors of business administration over a year ago and haven't found a job. corporate America is tough and you have to do everything right. make sure your resume is selling yourself to specific jobs aka tailor your resume. don't just apply to a bunch of jobs with your master resume hoping someone can connect the dots on their own.

all the best.

Ibunnytail in Helendale, California

6 months ago

I hope you have landed a job now. I graduated in 2015 but took 2 years off after to take care of a family member. It was hard to land full time employment so I opted for part time entry position that are always in high demands. Perhaps you can try that route if you haven’t find employment yet. I stayed at that job for 6 months but I had to leave because I need something more. I started looking in the market and considered my position and my expectations in March. I decided the field I wanted to go into and finally left my job at the last day of April. It’s not easy especially not a recent grad with a huge career gap looking for an entry position. I have gotten an offer to work at the company of my dream and should start my new position later this month when the background check comes back. My advice is to stay confident, which I know is hard especially when you want something so badly. And always write a personalized cover letter to tell recruiter your story. Take a part time position if you can just so you can have some experience to talk about and try to link to your next dream job. Rewrite your resume, make sure it gets past the computerize resume scanning program and actually gets it read by an actual recruiter. Good luck and don’t give up.

Advisor X in Miami, Florida

4 months ago

Best advice I can give is to reach out to the hiring manager and schedule a meet and greet session over coffee or lunch. It will be your best chance at selling yourself and gaining the interest of the hiring manager. You have an extremely higher chance of getting an invite for a formal interview than you would have submitting a resume. So far, I advised over 15 people to try it and so far 9 followed up with me to tell me they either got an invite for an interview or job offer on the spot. Keep hunting my friend.

PoptartYeti in Gainesville, Georgia

2 months ago

I'm in the same boat. I graduated in 2015 as Summa with a BS in Business Admin: Finance and still haven't found a decent job that requires a degree that I obtained. Had to make do with low paying job that gas nothing to do with my degree nor does it require a degree but I had Bill's and food to pay for. It is really making me think that my secondary education was a waste of time and money when I see HS grads making more money than I am. This is mainly because they have had more exposure to the workforce than those of us who have been spending years and money bettering ourselves with no pay off in the end. Hate to sound millennial but, degree should be getting the jobs, not experience. A trained monkey has experience but no thought process or education behind why they are doing what they do.

KE_DP

2 months ago

A degree doesn't do much to get attention - but experience within specific fields might. Also a degree doesn't automatically qualify people for positions - so any expectation that one might instantly be a manager or something is generally dead wrong. A "business" degree might be used later on after starting as a bookkeeper or something else. In some cases employers might look at a degree and dismiss a person as overqualified. In other words - start way down the food chain - or find a niche of interest and focus only on work in those areas.

Useless Degrees in Deltona, Florida

2 months ago

I graduated 5 years ago. I have 20 years of customer service experience, 13 years of hospitality and some amazing talents. Oh and I've applied to thousands upon thousands upon thousands of jobs. I saw a saying the other day "spray and pray". Some folks say target your search, I say aimlessly apply. And yes, looking for a job is a job in itself. It is an epidemic and my current job, I hate the company with a passion and it's not befitting to my credential both from a has nothing to do with what I went to school for and the pay is garbage. Better off just going to work for Disney, rather not, greedy monsters. Hang in there and know you are not alone.

atm.4255 in Houston, Texas

2 months ago

Don't feel discouraged guys. I guess we're all in the same boat. I'm currently a Doctoral Student with ten years of experience in Higher-Education and Healthcare Administration. I also possess leadership competencies in Public Administration, Organizational Management, Research, Strategic Planning, Operations/Financial Management, Counseling, Advising, and Building Collaborative Teams. As a critical contributor in research performed at two of Texas's Top-Ranked prominent universities, I have yet to even get an interview, even after having my resume and cover letter evaluated by a professional resume writing company. My experience is based on working in both professional and public settings. I graduated in 2015, earning my Bachelor of Arts degree in Organizational Management and Business Administration and most recently in August, I received my Master of Science in Health Sciences with a concentration in Healthcare Administration

Wandabee77 in Atlanta, Georgia

1 month ago

I believe going to college is a waste of time...debt and low paying jobs is the main reason for a lot of us are stressed for not making it in The American Dream Job. People are not giving graduates any opportunities unless there is a hidden agenda with the emoloyers today. You really have to know someone in the business world that can get your foot in the door...otherwise we can only wish each other good luck

Nick Dere in Torrance, California

1 month ago

PoptartYeti in Gainesville, Georgia said: I'm in the same boat. I graduated in 2015 as Summa with a BS in Business Admin : Finance and still haven't found a decent job that requires a degree that I obtained. Had to make do with low paying job that gas nothing to do with my degree nor does it require a degree but I had Bill's and food to pay for. It is really making me think that my secondary education was a waste of time and money when I see HS grads making more money than I am. This is mainly because they have had more exposure to the workforce than those of us who have been spending years and money bettering ourselves with no pay off in the end. Hate to sound millennial but, degree should be getting the jobs, not experience. A trained monkey has experience but no thought process or education behind why they are doing what they do.

I graduated in 2012. I had a phone interview earlier this year for a tier 1 and 2 position with a head of IT guy. I screwed up and told him and I didn't have much experience and he went on to say something about having experience. I asked him how can anyone get experience these days and he said I should try these staffing/temp agency. And from what I hear from people on here temp agencies suck, ummm not suck but are horrible and don't have much luck.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.