Any Experience with Suspicious Recruiters?

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

nhs2018 in Bay Shore, New York

7 months ago

For me the red flag with Indian recruiters is they tell you the name of the company they are representing within the body of the email. If they ask within the email, your DOB and the last four digits of your social security number do not respond. I had one last week contact me about a job at a large publically traded company. His first mistake was the name of the company was in the email. I went to the company's website, and the job did exist, and I applied directly. An example of copy paste and they were fishing for personal info. The best was one who claimed to local was calling me and emailing me about jobs that were not even close to where I live. Because the office address was about a 20-minute drive from my home, I decided to drive over and figure I would say hi. When I got there during regular business hours the building was locked tight. From what I could tell there was only one business in the building operating. The recruiter's office suite from I could see was on the first floor opposite the main door which was locked. There were phone books and other mail laying in front of the door. I have the pictures to prove it. I walked around the other side, and I could see through the window that the suite was empty. When I looked on LinkedIn the pictures that were posted looked nothing like that office. I even checked the company is not even domciled anywhere in the USA. I refuse to deal with them.

Allen in Burleson, Texas

7 months ago

It always amazes me why FAKE recruiters would target unemployed people who probably don't have much savings (if any), and are probably struggling to pay bills. Such dirty b_____s!

Foobar in New York, New York

6 months ago

No they are idiots with no etiquette. They are soon to be replaced by robots.

Anu in Pineville, North Carolina

6 months ago

Yes.. it’s a scam. I am having terrible experience with Indian recruiters. It’s not just Indians. After every interview with an Indian, a crazy woman with Canadian or European accent calls and harasses me. These women want me to repeat the interview and seems like they are taking notes. They are resume theifs taking advantage of Indian johns and passing over others resumes as theirs

Aja in Miami, Florida

5 months ago

My resume is on 3 of the big employment sites and for every email or call I get from an American I bet I get at least 15 from others. I stopped acknowledging them after they asked for some personal information a couple of times. I posted quite a few on scribd if anyone wants to compare. Type the number three nine four three zero zero five eight eight in the search bar. It seems they've taken over Indeed and the other sites and I wonder if there is any point to keep using them.

David in Birmingham, United Kingdom

5 months ago

I had a very suspicious encounter with a 'recruiter' recently. He called from a hidden number with a potential role and asked about my job search. He asked about upcoming interviews and I told him about the 3 I have booked. He then asked which companies they were at and I (foolishly) told him. He then carried on with collecting basic details like ethnicity and my citizenship and said he would submit my application and email me. He also gave me his email address in case I didn't receive anything from his client. Fast-forward a few days and nothing from him or the client. I email him and get an autogenerated email that his email address doesn't exist.

I didn't give any sensitive information away, so the only thing I can think of is that it is a bitter recruiter whose job offer I turned down a few days before this (so no commission for him). Maybe he's planning to tell my interviewers not to hire me (which is a bit scary), but otherwise I have no idea what to make of it all...

steveswiftly in Mukilteo, Washington

4 months ago

Hey, I found your post and noticed it's recent, after googling for the ratio of engineers to foreign recruiters. The replies here are absolutely inaccurate, though. I don't doubt that scams exist, but I have a story to tell you, I'll keep it short.

I posted my resume on here, and 2 others because I was unemployed. I got a TON of emails from in and out of country. After awhile, I got annoyed and responded to the spam-recruiters just to waste their time. I went through the interview, physically ended up at an unnamed (but large) company I've worked at before, actually landed the contract. But also got hired at same time somewhere else I preferred. Before that, I responded to a spam-recruiter, which was a screener for TCS, then I went through their whole process for interviewing for an iOS role. The guy grilled me on my resume, and I don't lie, so I ended up explaining 4 hours worth of keywords I shoved in... you'd think by 30 minutes he'd know I wasn't making stuff up, but whatever. He engaged, spoke programmer.

Basically sure, scams exist, but also the not-scam-but-bottom-feeders that are trying to make a buck off of your hard work. Recruiters are basically sales. Some are Zig Ziglars, others are street-swindlers that aren't exactly scams. I highly recommend using those Indian ones if you're new and need someone to shove you into your first few places... but use a burner # and email. I learned the hard way not to use any info that can be data-mined for robo-calls, never-ending recruiters, etc. One bonus is that they won't even hide the employer sometimes, so if you wanna know "where", it's easy to find. Also feel free to "Screen them" by asking inside questions about your field. Even a legit recruiter won't understand, but the 2nd interviewer, pre-employer but post-screen should know it.

Anyway I just posted to reduce the nonsense fear... no they're not scams, but they're just as annoying oftentime

steveswiftly in Mukilteo, Washington

4 months ago

I forgot to add, yes they are often foreign, not in the USA, but still real recruiters. Or at least, 1st level screens. Beware of asking for full social and address, bday... that would be scamming

Risky in Bellingham, Washington

4 months ago

The Indian culture is highly predictable. Like every other culture there are idiosycracies that define the spectrum of thresholds akin to high probability outcome. Sad to say that Integrity is very low on the list of attributes associated with my perspective concerning 22 years of experience in IT, regarding the business practices from this culture. Even my Indian colleagues openly admitted this to me, before I was able to form my own opinion. The level of disdain for western culture and narcissism associated with being raised in a society based on the CAST system does not necessarily bare good fruit. Be careful and if you must do business with them begin with not trusting on their word.

Anu5 in Pineville, North Carolina

4 months ago

I have seen Indian recruiters use women from London to fish out job seekers. Then they take them on ride until the London dames teach the job seeker how to respect this unknown, nobody Indian recruiter who mostly stocks shelves in grocery shops. They also don’t like it when you don’t listen to the blather of Indian story tellers.

4 months ago

Have you received visits from “undercover” brothers? These people show up in yoga classes, grocery stores etc and give you a special look to show they are the “boss”. Once a royal woman told me they fund full time jobs in companies. Huh? I thought company investors funded them and openings are approved by management. No? Is this some new thing? It’s weird and confusing and that’s an understatement.

4 months ago

Anu5 in Pineville, North Carolina said: Have you received visits from “undercover” brothers? These people show up in yoga classes, grocery stores etc and give you a special look to show they are the “boss”. Once a royal woman told me they fund full time jobs in companies. Huh? I thought company investors funded them and openings are approved by management. No? Is this some new thing? It’s weird and confusing and that’s an understatement.

These women who support such men seem to be from NATO countries are very jealous of working American women and keep passing judgements in minorities like me whose life is none of their business. I wish they would just get lost. They also look very cheap

4 months ago

I worked and studied for several years in US before these people and started this bullshit along with Indian “gold” friends. Looks like a fraud. I am still looking for someone to confirm this.

ooooboyherewego in Portage, Indiana

4 months ago

LOL! When they can hardly speak English, I just hang up on them. Had one call me yesterday...I said nope, I don't live in that state & not relocating. End call.

Dennis_in_GA in Winder, Georgia

4 months ago

Wish I had come here when I first starting getting these type calls. Finally, realized I was never going to get that interview with a manager promised. Now I don't waste my time with them. Only one of them asked for date of birth and SS#. Hung up immediately.

Allen3 in Dallas, Texas

4 months ago

Dennis_in_GA in Winder, Georgia said: Wish I had come here when I first starting getting these type calls. Finally, realized I was never going to get that interview with a manager promised. Now I don't waste my time with them. Only one of them asked for date of birth and SS#. Hung up immediately.

I don't blame anyone for disregarding ALL recruiters from India, but just a quick note to say I know for a fact that Chase uses Indian recruiters, and they are legit.

Dennis_in_GA in Winder, Georgia

4 months ago

I looked up some of the companies and saw them listed on UPS approved vendors, but am not sure the ones contacting me are really from that company. They can get all that info off of LinkedIn and company websites.

Allen3 in Dallas, Texas

4 months ago

Dennis_in_GA in Winder, Georgia said: I looked up some of the companies and saw them listed on UPS approved vendors, but am not sure the ones contacting me are really from that company. They can get all that info off of LinkedIn and company websites.

Agreed, recruiters get plenty of info from LinkedIn and other job sites. It's a SHAME that job hunters have to beware of crooks and con-artists around every corner, but we do.

Lisa1129 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

4 months ago

Yes, you are correct. I have worked at some companies where we have received "suspicious calls" asking for information on people and their titles/department. Usually in the past, this was likely used by "head hunters." However, now with all the employment scams going on, I am sure they call for that reason. Usually, an unsuspecting employee may give out the information (even when emails from the company are sent to all employees asking them not to give out any information to anyone and refer them to HR).

TOURtech in Macon, Georgia

4 months ago

Indeed allowed someone to post fraudulent job openings using my company's name and then made my HR person spend over an hour on the phone trying to explain that we were actually the real owners. So Indeed was actually defending the fraudsters in a well documented scam that harms businesses and tarnishes their brand. Their "Security Protocols" prevent them from sharing information with us. Who are they protecting? Scammers? Unreal. I have spent 4 days responding to concerned applicants and urging them not to give out any more info and Indeed is barely concerned. Why do I know more about this than they do. Indeed - Google Indeed Fake Jobs, then do something about it. Certainly don't continue punishing legitimate companies notifying you of scammers abusing your service.

4 months ago

FYI,I responded to a fake ad for a legitimate company in Delran, NJ. I only got suspicious when the "HR" person emailed me using a gmail account as well as included a few typos. I called the legit company, and they said the same thing: that a few applicants got suspicious, called them, and they tried to get the job ad down to no avail. Indeed never removed it. Maybe if you go to the ad and say "this job is no longer available" that might work. I have gotten links to ads that say "This company is no longer accepting applications for this position."

I have noticed in a few job ads where I had to go to the site and apply, the company has a "PLEASE NOTE" and then have information telling people that they (the company) do NOT use google hangouts and not to use them as they are a scam. So at least legit companies are trying to inform people of the scam.

tangoman in Brampton, Ontario

3 months ago

This is becoming a big nuisance ever since I posted my resume on Dice and Monster, my , will phone never stops ringing. Indian name/sounding person using magic jack number is calling displaying Wyoming,New Jersey or Nebraska numbers. Will ask you to fill some forms that does ask for SSN, DOB without year and so forth. One idiot even asked for a copy of green card. These people are actually telemarketers based in India and working for some Indian recruiting agents in USA screening candidates for them. now unfortunately the story does not end here. The USA based Indian recruiters have contacts in the client IT organizations who are also from India and his/her job is to push their candidates and get a cut from recruitment fees. They collect resumes and while the interviewers from client side are also Indians, they reject many deserving candidates which is in blatant violation of Equal opportunity Law (EEOC), collectively push for hiring from India and also outsource the work to India. I had about 15 interviews in the last few months and in every interview there was an India who attitude clearly reflected rejection of my resume. This is a big racket going on in USA despite very strict EEOC laws how no one takes notice. This has to be stopped now. People should write to EEOC and ask for the laws to be more strictly implemented. Please visit this page www.eeoc.gov/and post you complaints and concerns so that this malpractice by Indian recruiters is brought to an end.

3 months ago

Correct. I only had a legit interview once from an Indian person calling from a recruiting company. However, 99.9% make you jump through hoops for updated resume, test scores, references, etc....only not to call you back. I did that ONE time. What they are doing is "data mining"...collecting information for their data base so if a job comes up, they have your resume right away. Some are scammers - I had one say I had an interview, but they needed my social security number first. I told them to F off. Never heard from them again. The phone numbers look like they are coming from New Jersey, etc., but they are not. Also, you can hear a lot of people talking in the background. It's like a big telemarketing room. One time, one guy thought he hung up the phone, but he didn't. I heard his conversation with another person he worked with. I can't remember what was said, but they were laughing and joking around regarding the people they were calling. If you put your resume on any website like CareerBuilder, etc., put it on "private." That way, someone will see your resume ONLY if you apply to their posted job. It will definitely cut down on the phone calls and emails. Legit companies don't need these sites to scour for resumes. They post a job and get a ton of responses. No need for them to look for you. Mostly recruiters use these sites.

markm410 in Escondido, California

3 months ago

My experience is very similar. I've found CoreTech to be a big offender. I have had a bunch of recruiters from that firm contact me over the years with an "excellent opportunity". They email a vague job description and call me. They always have a very heavy Indian accent and it is difficult to understand what they are saying. Nothing ever comes of it. If the position is real, I'd recommend searching indeed, ZipRecruiter, CareerBuilder, etc., for the position and applying directly. Recruiters like that do not already have contracts with the company in need of filling the position. They are contingency recruiting firms who are trying to wedge their way in between you and a company so they can get their cut. When possible it's always best to look at multiple sources for the same position. I have seen multiple recruiting firms posting the same position for the same client company where the hourly rate has a big discprepancy between the different postings. There are different types of recruiters. Most of them are contingency recruiting firms and do not have exclusive contracts with the client company. They are trying to build up a pool of candidates so they can go to a company looking to fill a position and make a pitch for their recruitment services. Basically, they don't care about you, your needs, your goals, or your career. You are just a number to them as they are trying to make money off of you if you get the position.

RJofAZ in Chandler, Arizona

2 months ago

There is a very specific directive these Indian recruiters are carrying out. And it goes like this- U.S. companies want to continue the hiring of cheap H1b visa workers INSTEAD of hiring U.S workers.In order to this, they must justify to the DOL (Dept Of Labor) that they have no viable U.S candidates avilable, they do this by filing an LCA (Labor Conditions Application) an LCA is a statement from the hiring company to the DOL that the "labor conditions" are such that there are no viable U.S candidates and we have no choice but to request an H1b candidate. Here is where HR departments get sneaky HR department will defer to the Indian recruiting agencies to filter through the candidates and to make sure that there are no viable U.S. candidates found. THIS IS WHY U.S. CANDIDATES WILL OFTEN GET THESE FLIMSY LEADS FOR POSITIONS THAT JUST HAPPEN TO BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTRY OR THEY MAY BE POSITIONS THAT ARE ALMOST A PERFECT FIT BUT THEN FIND OUT THERE IS A PARTICULAR SKILL THAT IS REQUIRED BUT THE U.S CANDIDATE DOESNT HAVE. SOMETIMES THE CANDIDATE WILL GO SO FAR DURING THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THE POSITION IS A THIRD SHIFT (EVEN FOR AN ENGINEERING POSITION) OR IT COULD BE SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS ACTUALLY INTENDED TO BE A DEAL BREAKER AND CAUSE THE U.S. CANDIDATE TO WITHDRAW. When this happens the the recruiting agency is then able to file the LCA stating that they made the effort to hire a U.S. candidate but they turned out to not be viable. Whats really ironic is they have outsourced this sneaky process to to overseas Indian workers.

2 months ago

What you describe is a classic example of violating Equal Opportunity law which should be reported. If people can write to the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission (EEOC) www.eeoc.gov/ and report this wide spread breach happening in our daily life. I had done 6 face to face interview and in each one of them there was an Indian involved and with their way of questioning in each one of the interviews I know that he is creating impression in front of the other interviewers and making justification to reject me. And that always happened. The fact is that, these Indians who have already landed jobs in North American are there to support the IT industry in their country and I have reason to believe that they get kickbacks for their services to their country's IT industry.

This has to be stopped. For the sake of new job seekers entering the market, please write to your congress-person and EEOC with any factual examples highlight the problem ASAP.

2 months ago

Thanks for your reply regarding Indian recruiters, and they explanation of how it all works. I tend to ignore their emails because you are right...they are sending you jobs that aren't even in your area (ie. I live in New Jersey and the job is in Massachusetts). OR I get 3 or 4 of the exact same email from different recruiters...some even working for the same company.

2 months ago

dog the bounty hunter in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Even if a few companies actually use them it's probably a safer bet to ignore them from a security standpoint. I've had many fake recruiters pitch a job to me and then casually start asking personal information.

Even then Indians have placed themselves strategically in companies like Chase Morgan, Accenture, PW&C taking control of the recruitment process of these companies, rejecting local candidates on one pretext or another and trying to bring people from India. This is a big Scam that the USA and Canada are going thru with. On top of that, you got them behind IRS and CRA scams milking millions of Dollars out of the unsuspecting people like pensioners. And yet Mr. Trump call them America's best friends.

2 months ago

tangoman in Brampton, Ontario said: What you describe is a classic example of violating Equal Opportunity law which should be reported. If people can write to the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission (EEOC) www.eeoc.gov/ and report this wide spread breach happening in our daily life. I had done 6 face to face interview and in each one of them there was an Indian involved and with their way of questioning in each one of the interviews I know that he is creating
impression in front of the other interviewers and making justification to reject me. And that always happened. The fact is that, these Indians who have already landed jobs in North American are there to support the IT industry in their country and I have reason to believe that they get kickbacks for their services to their country's IT industry.This has to be stopped. For the sake of new job seekers entering the market, please write to your congress-person and EEOC with any factual examples highlight the problem ASAP.

Now the important thing to remember is that we are not allowed to talk about the Indian H1b visa issue at our workplace. If we do, we risk being called racist or xenophobic. This is because corporations dont want us to become aware of what they are doing and they dont want us talkjng amongst eachother about it. The corporate media line is to say that they are always looking for talent but that there just arent enough STEM educated candidates in the U.S. so therefore they have no choice but to look overseas. We know this is not true, there are plenty of U.S. born STEM graduates looking for jobs but corporations just dont want to hire them.

2 months ago

RJofAZ in Chandler, Arizona said: Now the important thing to remember is that we are not allowed to talk about the Indian H1b visa issue at our workplace. If we do, we risk being called racist or xenophobic. This is because corporations dont want us to become aware of what they are doing and they dont want us talking amongst eachother about it. The corporate media line is to say that they are always looking for talent but that there just arent enough STEM educated candidates in the U.S. so therefore they have no choice but to look overseas. We know this is not true, there are plenty of U.S. born STEM graduates looking for jobs but corporations just dont want to hire them.

I fully agree with you. One has to be careful about what you say because it can be counterproductive. Please do write to the EEOC and encourage others to do the same. This is the only way to deal with this menace.

Blackthorne in Utica, Michigan

2 months ago

You’re not alone. I’ve also had them ask me for mt birthdate & social security number which they say they need to submit my resume.

I’m starting to hang up on anyone with an Indian accent now. I also block anyone who sends me recruiting spam. I also block their phone numbers if they call me.

Can’t afford to delete my resume from online databases, so I guess I have to put up with it.

2 months ago

Blackthorne in Utica, Michigan said: You’re not alone. I’ve also had them ask me for mt birthdate & social security number which they say they need to submit my resume.

I’m starting to hang up on anyone with an Indian accent now. I also block anyone who sends me recruiting spam. I also block their phone numbers if they call me.

Can’t afford to delete my resume from online databases, so I guess I have to put up with it.

Here is a video of a lawfirm teaching HR personal how to eleminate U.S. candidates so they can get the H1B/Eb1/Eb2/PERM/GREENCARD process started. It was when the HR department was doing it all on their own and eventually they started using Indian recruiters to do the leg work. Its very frustrating to watch.

youtu.be/TCbFEgFajGU

2 months ago

Here is a video of a lawfirm teaching HR personal how to eleminate U.S. candidates so they can get the H1B/Eb1/Eb2/PERM/GREENCARD process started. It was when the HR department was doing it all on their own and eventually they started using Indian recruiters to do the leg work. Its very frustrating to watch.

youtu.be/TCbFEgFajGU

2 months ago

Thanks RJofAZ in Chandler.

This is discrimination on a massive scale denying equal opportunity to Americans in their own homeland. Please please file a complain with www.eeoc.gov/ to bring an end to this menace. Also send a copy of this video on you tube which teaches recruiters on how to reject USA candidates and justify for H1b. The link is: youtu.be/TCbFEgFajGU">youtu.be/TCbFEgFajGU</a and also: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx--jNQYNgA

nhs2018 in Bay Shore, New York

2 months ago

I have been dealing with for the last 12 months. Again if a recruiter asks for the last 4 of your SSN and your DOB, they are phishing for information. I do not take their calls. I block them. I file their emails away. I was harassed about a job at a local company and I sure the position did not exist. Once I get back to work full time. The local fake recruiters I am going to take the time to send a letter to my AG and state senator. The local company I will send a letter with the emails to their HR department. I will not deal with an Indian recruiter; it is just that simple.

2 months ago

nhs2018 in Bay Shore, New York said: I have been dealing with for the last 12 months. Again if a recruiter asks for the last 4 of your SSN and your DOB, they are phishing for information. I do not take their calls. I block them. I file their emails away. I was harassed about a job at a local company and I sure the position did not exist. Once I get back to work full time. The local fake recruiters I am going to take the time to send a letter to my AG and state senator. The local company I will send a letter with the emails to their HR department. I will not deal with an Indian recruiter; it is just that simple.

One of the best things we can do is let people know whats happening. Corporations dont want people talking about it. Bill Gates and Zuckerberg want everyone to that there are not enough STEM graduates in the U.S. and that why they need "overseas talent" when the reality is these companies dont want to hire them. And if try to talk about it, they will accuse you of being racist to shut you up!

2 months ago

In North America, you will find hordes of Indians in every large accounting firm like Earnest and Youngs, Price Waterhouse, Grant Thornton, and Accenture etc. These companies offer consulting services to their clients and that includes IT advisory as well. The Indian staff assigned to such project will phish the necessary information and pass it to the IT companies back in India and make all the necessary justification and arrangement to outsource the project or bring Indians to North America, That is how IT companies have multiplied their businesses in this region. And this is from where all these IT companies businesses flourished here. I have stopped responding to ads from those aforementioned companies because it will be just awaste of time. My best advice to deal with this menace is to write to www.eeoc.com and explain to them your experience.

Sri27 in Suwanee, Georgia

1 month ago

JWalsh in Happy Valley, Oregon said: H1B visa reform is needed, this will be quite costly time consuming. Just imagine how much effort this will require. The DOL will require that all recruiting agencies prove they actually interviewed each qualified candidate, and show that each candidate was ranked, assuring qualified U.S. citizens are considered first. Unfortunately this process can also be scammed.

So true, the interviews are being conducted by the H1B holders themselves only to reject the US candidates. I have experienced couple of like this, don't know where to complaint.

1 month ago

Sri27 in Suwanee, Georgia said: So true, the interviews are being conducted by the H1B holders themselves only to reject the US candidates. I have experienced couple of like this, don't know where to complaint.

Complain to www.eeoc.gov with specific examples and ask for relief.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.