Hiring manager called the cops for applying

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Quan in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

I recently applied to a job on indeed, and sent a follow up email a few days later. About a week passed with no response, and I sent another email, saying I would come by their office. They quickly sent a response saying they no longer had a position available. 20 minutes later I got a phone call from the police. They complained that I threatened and harassed them. I denied it and the cop said to not contact them again.

The whole thing is almost unbelievable. I hate applying for jobs.

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

33 months ago

Quan in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: I recently applied to a job on indeed, and sent a follow up email a few days later. About a week passed with no response, and I sent another email, saying I would come by their office. They quickly sent a response saying they no longer had a position available. 20 minutes later I got a phone call from the police. They complained that I threatened and harassed them. I denied it and the cop said to not contact them again.

LOL! Hadn't heard that one before.

AndyRising in a State of Bliss

33 months ago

I wonder how many calls like this the cops make for this company? You could turn this around and accuse the employer of harassment, since they put the cops on you for simply checking in. But they must have a brother-in-law on the force or something (and the cops must not have any speed traps to set up) if the cops can respond to piddly stuff like this.

KeepAHappyFace in State of Confusion

33 months ago

Quan in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: ...... About a week passed with no response, and I sent another email, saying I would come by their office......

They likely received dozens, if not hundreds of inquiries to that job posting. I can see where it would be a problem if every single person who applied for that position 'offered' to come to the office.

Duck! in Long Island City, New York

33 months ago

Quan in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: I recently applied to a job on indeed, and sent a follow up email a few days later. About a week passed with no response, and I sent another email, saying I would come by their office. They quickly sent a response saying they no longer had a position available. 20 minutes later I got a phone call from the police. They complained that I threatened and harassed them. I denied it and the cop said to not contact them again.

Outrageous that they called the cops. But, at the same time, I'm not sure what you hoped to gain by going uninvited to their office.

33 months ago

KeepAHappyFace in State of Confusion said: They likely received dozens, if not hundreds of inquiries to that job posting. I can see where it would be a problem if every single person who applied for that position 'offered' to come to the office.

So what? They publicly posted a job offer on the internet. Its outrageous to consider that a threat. The cop I spoke to didnt come out and say that, but he inferred it.

deposite in Bronx, New York

33 months ago

That's just excessive.

RockPaperRewsta in Toronto

33 months ago

I doubt it was a real cop that called.
It's easy enough to spoof call display these days and I'm pretty sure the cops would tell the employer to stop wasting their time.

NickC in Annandale, New Jersey

32 months ago

Quan -- would you please drop me a note? You'll find my info on my website, Ask The Headhunter. Thanks.

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan

32 months ago

Either you come across as forceful, threatening or otherwise overbearing OR the way you communicated how you would approach them was enough for them to call the police. Even if it was a fake cop that called you, it was still threatening enough for them to have someone do it.

I don't know you, or anything about you, but I'd take a second look at how you approached you. No company is going to go straight to calling the police if an applicant says they are going to stop by.

32 months ago

@Trying to Help: Why do you assume this is the job applicant's fault? I can easily imagine a company calling the cops because HR is shocked anyone would dare suggest they're going to visit the company. Absolutely. HR is so bound to its keyboard and screen that the idea of a human SHOWING UP seems a threat.

32 months ago

If there is ANY department in a company that understands rules and regulations, it's HR. There is protocol for things and calling the police without a perceived threat is a HUGELY bad idea. Most HR can't operate without direction of their bosses, and no company owner is going to immediately respond with 'call the police'. The bad PR for their company isn't worth it.
Most HR people are going to at least peak around the corner if someone comes in to apply in person. The gut reaction isn't to call the police UNLESS THEY FEEL THREATENED. Which goes back to how the candidate presented themselves.

realism37 in Georgia

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: If there is ANY department in a company that understands rules and regulations, it's HR.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Most here know what I am referring to.

Ms Doppelganger in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

NickC in Annandale, New Jersey said: @Trying to Help: Why do you assume this is the job applicant's fault? I can easily imagine a company calling the cops because HR is shocked anyone would dare suggest they're going to visit the company. Absolutely. HR is so bound to its keyboard and screen that the idea of a human SHOWING UP seems a threat.

This particular person has a habit of assuming that it's the applicant's fault. This same person told a forum user a while back ago to check her attitude when she posted a thread complaining about an interviewer who rolled her eyes at and mocked her for being soft spoken.

32 months ago

Yes, I tell candidates to check their attitude all the time. I see it way too often that candidates aren't prepared for the interviews. I do this all day long. It's not made up, and not attacking anyone. It's based on fact. If you want suggestions to do better, I'm all for it. If you want to sit around and blame everyone else for things not happening for you, I'm out.

realism37 in Georgia

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: Yes, I tell candidates to check their attitude all the time. I see it way too often that candidates aren't prepared for the interviews. I do this all day long. It's not made up, and not attacking anyone. It's based on fact. If you want suggestions to do better, I'm all for it. If you want to sit around and blame everyone else for things not happening for you, I'm out.

Neither are the stories of rude interviewers with nasty attitudes made up. Yet I never hear you say that they should also check their attitudes. If you were more balanced in your postings maybe people wouldn't be so hard on you. It goes BOTH ways. Both sides should check their attitudes, but you clearly don't understand that.

32 months ago

The interviewers aren't here talking about it, are they? No, the candidates are. All we can do is own our own behavior, so if we check ourselves and we know we're doing the right things, no one should get offended. If you want to continue to blame others and not be the least bit introspective, that's fine too.

32 months ago

Can we all just get along?

I hope Quan replies to Nick... I'd like to see what the people who read Ask the Headhunter have to say about this.

realism37 in Georgia

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: The interviewers aren't here talking about it, are they? No, the candidates are. All we can do is own our own behavior, so if we check ourselves and we know we're doing the right things, no one should get offended. If you want to continue to blame others and not be the least bit introspective, that's fine too.

There have been employers come here to post about candidates in negative ways. You are known around these forums to get all bent out of shape anytime someone posts a negative experience with an interviewer. And speaking of introspective, you might want to do some yourself and get to the root of why it upsets you so much that people post their experiences about interviewers and how they are sometimes rude. No one is going to stop posting their experiences all because you clearly have a problem with it.

32 months ago

I will always be unpopular here. I'm representing the other side. If you don't want my advice, don't take it.

realism37 in Georgia

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: I will always be unpopular here. I'm representing the other side. If you don't want my advice, don't take it.

You aren't giving advice. You are automatically blaming the applicant. There is a difference. Still, you need to look within and get to the root of why it bothers you that people don't always have good stories to tell about interviewers.

32 months ago

realism37 in Georgia said: You aren't giving advice. You are automatically blaming the applicant. There is a difference. Still, you need to look within and get to the root of why it bothers you that people don't always have good stories to tell about interviewers.

Exactly! Andy and Duck!, for example give advice and constructive critiques. Even if I don't always agree with it they are still respectful. Big difference!

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: Either you come across as forceful, threatening or otherwise overbearing OR the way you communicated how you would approach them was enough for them to call the police. Even if it was a fake cop that called you, it was still threatening enough for them to have someone do it.

I don't know you, or anything about you, but I'd take a second look at how you approached you. No company is going to go straight to calling the police if an applicant says they are going to stop by.

It would be a pretty big stretch to consider my follow up forceful or threatening within the context of the situation. The caller ID was from the local township police department, so it was a real cop. He worded the complaint as "trivial" but since they complained he had to follow up and told me not to contact them again.

This thread sums up the hostile workplace situation in this country. So many people go strait to assuming the worst about each other.

TGPII in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

I had something like that happen to me before.

Richard Carlisle in Springfield, Missouri

32 months ago

This is one of the reasons reasonable folks belong to Unions. Union rules help diminish the effects of bi-polar management.

Sighmaster in Massachusetts

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: I will always be unpopular here. I'm representing the other side. If you don't want my advice, don't take it.

Better yet, why don't you get lost? Seriously, there is something wrong with you.

BTW, for those unaware, Nick used this thread as the subject of his most recent PBS article, www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/perverted-recruiting-calling-cops-job-applicants/. "Perverted" pretty much sums up Trolling to Help in Detroit...

32 months ago

Hey, Quan is famous! Too bad he didn't name the employer.

And I think Trying to Help often has a lot of good advice to offer. Sometimes it's advice that people don't want to hear, but they should. Sitting behind our computers, we never hear the whole story.. How many times have you seen someone ask for advice, receive advice, and then say, "Oh, but I didn't mention that...." So we advice-givers have to work with what we've got.

32 months ago

AndyRising in a State of Bliss said: Hey, Quan is famous! Too bad he didn't name the employer.

And I think Trying to Help often has a lot of good advice to offer. Sometimes it's advice that people don't want to hear, but they should. Sitting behind our computers, we never hear the whole story.. How many times have you seen someone ask for advice, receive advice, and then say, "Oh, but I didn't mention that...." So we advice-givers have to work with what we've got.

Not sure what you are getting at with that first part.

Trying to help didnt add anything here. He just accused me of being untruthful and sided with the employer. If I had actually done something wrong I would have been prosecuted.

32 months ago

KeepAHappyFace in State of Confusion said: They likely received dozens, if not hundreds of inquiries to that job posting. I can see where it would be a problem if every single person who applied for that position 'offered' to come to the office.

Simple solution to that problem: The employer should stop posting the job where it will attract hundreds of applications. If it doesn't want serious, motivated applicants, it should find other ways to recruit (and other places). The employer is creating its own problem.

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: Yes, I tell candidates to check their attitude all the time.

And I tell HR all the time to check its attitude, or get out of the recruiting business. HR is supposed to ATTRACT job applicants. Not try to have them arrested. Don't want visitors? Say so in your job posting. The applicant in this case did nothing wrong -- and made that very clear in follow-up posts. What we see here is a clear case of HR abusing applicants.

realism37 in Georgia

32 months ago

NickC I like how Trying to Help is no voting posts. No one else here is that upset other than him or her. If I no voted someone the very least I would have the balls to say why I disagree.

Go ahead Trying To Help and no vote this post. I know you are reading. And don't you dare say it isn't you no voting. It is way too obvious that it is you. It is also quite obvious you are yes voting your own posts as well. Pathetic.

blessedandhappy in Atlanta, Georgia

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: Either you come across as forceful, threatening or otherwise overbearing OR the way you communicated how you would approach them was enough for them to call the police. Even if it was a fake cop that called you, it was still threatening enough for them to have someone do it.

Back up a bit. So you won't even consider that they could have overreacted? You won't consider that they could be at fault? What is the big deal in saying that they would like to stop by the office? If they don't want applicants stopping by then why didn't they say so? To immediately get so afraid of an applicant means something is off in that office. Someone needs to take a chill pill and find another line of work if they are THAT afraid.

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: The interviewers aren't here talking about it, are they? No, the candidates are. All we can do is own our own behavior, so if we check ourselves and we know we're doing the right things, no one should get offended. If you want to continue to blame others and not be the least bit introspective, that's fine too.

Owning behavior also applies to employers. If they are behaving inappropriately and crappy to applicants, then yes they should own up to it. They should not try and paint the blame on an applicant like you and so many others do. Besides, it seems that you are the only one offended when a poster comes along and posts that a company representative behaved wrongly. The OP did nothing wrong. If the company likes to call the cops then they need to not work and just stay home if they are that afraid of people. It would do the rest of the world a favor to not have to deal with such incompetence.

32 months ago

NickC in Annandale, New Jersey said: And I tell HR all the time to check its attitude, or get out of the recruiting business. HR is supposed to ATTRACT job applicants. Not try to have them arrested. Don't want visitors? Say so in your job posting. The applicant in this case did nothing wrong -- and made that very clear in follow-up posts. What we see here is a clear case of HR abusing applicants.

Exactly but for some unknown reason Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan does not get it.

Calfornian in Hayward, California

32 months ago

Once upon a time there was a whole host of tricks to landing a job shared amongst the job finding books. It wasn't that rare to find amongst the various bags o tricks "a personal visit of the uninvited kind to find the boss". Heck, in the days of yore before the fax machine it was either that or the mail, which works no better with an "e" add to it.

No idea what went on here or why someone felt compelled to involve law enforcement but the times have done changed.

Note: 4 tries to prove I'm not a robot. Indeed, I luv ya.

realism37 in Georgia

32 months ago

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan said: LOL. Like I care enough to 'vote yes or no'. Seriously. You don't see your behavior as part of the problem? Nice assumptions, and so so misguided.

1. If you didn't care, you would not have responded.

2. If you were innocent of not yes or no voting, you would have let the charge roll off your shoulder instead of responding. Therefore thou doth protest too much.

3. It's interesting that my post rattled you so much and you didn't respond to any of the more recent postings. Another sign of guilt.

4. My behavior is not the issue here. If my words sting you and upset you so much, that is your problem. It's not my fault you have thoroughly made a fool of yourself in this thread.

32 months ago

Wow. Simmer down everyone. Even I don't care that much, just thought it was an amusing story.

Still struggling to find work. I went to college for 3 years but had to withdraw due to health reasons. So now I'm 26 with no degree and little meaningful experience. Idk where to go from here and it's like a kick to the stomach when an employer is so overwhelmed by applicants that they snap to calling the cops on you.

RealWorld2 in Katy, Texas

32 months ago

Wow! Talk about paranoid! Maybe the child manager has been watching too many "scary" movies or the news. One thing is for sure, they had better be careful calling the cops for no good reason. That is a good way to get sued. Consider it a blessing you didn't get hired. They sound like a very immature bunch and not interested in getting a job done.

32 months ago

Quan in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: The caller ID was from the local township police department, so it was a real cop. He worded the complaint as "trivial" but since they complained he had to follow up and told me not to contact them again.

I wonder if the cops told that company to lighten up and stop making such ridiculous calls?

realism37 in Georgia

32 months ago

tgpii in Chicago, Illinois said: I had something like that happen to me before.

What happened in your case?

uptoyou in providence, Rhode Island

32 months ago

Duck! in Long Island City, New York said: Outrageous that they called the cops. But, at the same time, I'm not sure what you hoped to gain by going uninvited to their office.

I hate to say I agree. Calling the cops is ridiculous - but I can say that if someone I was interviewing called for a second time after being told that the hiring decision had not been made, and the person implied or "offered" to "drop by the office", I would wonder about their situational awareness - It would red flag the applicant for me, not go over well. It's a little too aggressive

32 months ago

uptoyou in providence, Rhode Island said: I hate to say I agree. Calling the cops is ridiculous - but I can say that if someone I was interviewing called for a second time after being told that the hiring decision had not been made, and the person implied or "offered" to "drop by the office", I would wonder about their situational awareness - It would red flag the applicant for me, not go over well. It's a little too aggressive

Sheesh -- stick to the facts, uptoyou. Read Quan's posts. There is no indication Quan was "interviewing" or that Quan was "told that the hiring decision had not been made." Quan submitted an application and apparently got NO RESPONSE at all, much less an interview!

I'd wonder about this employer's "situational awareness." Inviting applications then ignoring applicants without so much as an acknowledgment is either poor business and rude, or it suggests (more generously) that the employer met some untimely demise and, perhaps, the police should have been called in to go check and see whether the employer was still clacking away at the keyboard, inviting more job applicants, or decaying on the floor.

Perhaps the bigger story here is how the corrupt employment system that brainwashes employers into thinking such rude behavior is just "normal business", has also brainwashed employers' victims -- job seekers -- who now turn on one another and assume IT'S THE JOB SEEKER'S FAULT.

32 months ago

uptoyou in providence, Rhode Island said: I hate to say I agree. Calling the cops is ridiculous - but I can say that if someone I was interviewing called for a second time after being told that the hiring decision had not been made, and the person implied or "offered" to "drop by the office", I would wonder about their situational awareness - It would red flag the applicant for me, not go over well. It's a little too aggressive

Yes but that was not the situation. Is it not fair for me to assume there was a technical difficulty, or that my application was not received or viewed for some reason? After they didn't respond to my original follow up, I thought there may be a communication issue that could be solved by applying in person.

32 months ago

Quan in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: Yes but that was not the situation. Is it not fair for me to assume there was a technical difficulty, or that my application was not received or viewed for some reason? After they didn't respond to my original follow up, I thought there may be a communication issue that could be solved by applying in person.

Quan: You're mistaking the employer's desire for employees that "think out of the box" with the employer's wish to keep the box locked. I think your assumption was reasonable and your decision to pay a visit was prudent and demonstrated initiative. Which employers claim they want in new hires. But really don't. If I were you, I'd send a note to the chairman of the company's board of directors (not the president or CEO). Someone responsible for corporate governance will care about this. I'd enclose a printout of this discussion on Indeed -- companies care what's said about them in social media. I'll be the board of directors would like to know how corporate funds are being spent calling the cops on job applicants.

32 months ago

Quan in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: Yes but that was not the situation. Is it not fair for me to assume there was a technical difficulty, or that my application was not received or viewed for some reason? After they didn't respond to my original follow up, I thought there may be a communication issue that could be solved by applying in person.

How dare you show critical thinking skills and initiative! Bad jobseeker! Bad!

32 months ago

There are a few "Pro Employer" posters in this thread who are so blinded by their devotion to employers, that they are not even reading and comprehending what Quan actually posted. They are so blinded that they are doing all they can to spin this around and make it Quan's fault. I can bet you that not one of them will actually look at this with fresh eyes and say that yes, this time, the employer was rude, and way out of line and that the entire blame lies strictly with the employer. To do that would mean that they would have to admit that they were wrong.

realism37 in Georgia

32 months ago

The supporters of bad employers aren't coming back to this thread. I have been around these forums for quite a while and they will either bow out of this thread and yet hide out and read in the background or they will pop in and rant against everything said about their precious employers.

But it appears that they are mostly doing the former because none of them have a response to the more pointed posts in this thread. Their focus is strictly on the applicant and not the company that called the cops.

32 months ago

realism37 in Georgia said: The supporters of bad employers aren't coming back to this thread...

I call this "drive by defense." They try to intimidate job seekers. "I'm an employer and you should accept our power." Bunk. It's the same logic with demanding people's salary history in interviews. I tell people NEVER to disclose their salary because it destroys their negotiating position. And I have a standing challenge to anyone in HR: Give us ONE legitimate reason why you need to know a job applicant's salary. There is none, but HR will spout all the standard circular excuses. Same with what we see on this thread: Illogical, self-preserving accusations, but no real discussion about the issues people raise.

32 months ago

I do think there are some employers and hiring managers out there with inflated egos that overplay their hand. They have something we want and try to make us do a dance for a job offer.

Fortunately I have worked with some awesome people, as well as the bad. Its like the bad ones fail to understand their passive aggressiveness will turn away some great candidates. I would personally rather work with good people for slightly less money than somebody like the employer that called the cops for a little extra cash.

32 months ago

realism37 in Georgia said: The supporters of bad employers aren't coming back to this thread. I have been around these forums for quite a while and they will either bow out of this thread and yet hide out and read in the background or they will pop in and rant against everything said about their precious employers.

But it appears that they are mostly doing the former because none of them have a response to the more pointed posts in this thread. Their focus is strictly on the applicant and not the company that called the cops.

I am not sure anyone here is in support of bad employers. The advice I give candidates is to look at what you can control and address those issues. I'm not here to hide out, berate job seekers OR support bad employers. It is painfully clear, however, that you have no interest in keeping an open mind, but instead want to bash employers and those who represent them. So, have at it.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.