Do professional resume writers really help?

Comments (43)

Tom Pettyfer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

27 months ago

Hello everyone,

I desperately need a new job in preferably a new field. I believe I could improve my resume. Also my linked in page could use a boost as well. Was just looking for some honest opinions on professional resume services, and if you know any reputable ones that would be great.

Thank you

Angellaa in Edmonton, Alberta

27 months ago

They can help. And there are a whole lot who will charge you a fortune to NOT help. (PS avoid "Top Resume" at all costs)

Ask for samples if none exist on the website already. Before and afters are good. As for a review - and make sure the review makes sense. The review should be free. The promises should not be over the top and there should be no scare tactics involved. There are a few resume writers on here, including myself (and a lot of shills who will pass what they say off as "this person helped me" you should call them"). The legitimate ones provide advice on here - you should be able to search them out and see what they have to say.

I know "Andy rising in a state of Bliss" is on here frequently and seems to be legit. And, for me, you can click on my profile for samples. I'm not sure who else is on here who is reputable.

27 months ago

Oops. Nope. Andy doesn't write them - he advocates people writing their own. Adam Fray is the other one on here that seems reputable.

AlexDemos in New York, New York

27 months ago

No! They're a waste of money. I look at resumes and would be happy to do it for free if you'd like.

27 months ago

mmm... and after they get your "free 15 minute career launch", what does it cost them?

AlexDemos in New York, New York

27 months ago

Nothing. If you don't want help then that's fine too.

Tina in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

Yes! Resume writing services are very helpful! I was looking for a job for a long time. But now I am working at the my dream job due to ResumesLand online service. I recommend it all my friends!
www.resumesland.com/

Djbooker92 in Crossville, Tennessee

16 months ago

alexdemos in New York, New York said: No! They're a waste of money. I look at resumes and would be happy to do it for free if you'd like.

Do you still look at resumes? I'm in dire need of help.

James in San Francisco, California

14 months ago

I have recently paid for my resume and was happy with results. I have struggled a lot with my old resume and I turned to a professional resume writing service skillroads.com They have completed my order fast. This service is worth your attention, 'cuz I've got a great professional resume!

Prommented in United Kingdom

10 months ago

Hello, dear! I have seen your question here and I would like just to share some of my own experience about the fast resume writing services. So, I would like to mention that for me it is quite important to get the service on the highest level of quality and that is why I was looking for some help with this service quite carefully. And I would like to tell also that it was not easy to do it, but anyway I have managed with it. And this link www.cheapresumewritingservices.net/services/affordable-resume-writing-services/ has helped me really! So you can just try to visit it as well.

boatman in santa ana, California

10 months ago

I think it depends on the person. I used <a rel="nofollow" href="www.virginiaresumeservices.com/">Virginia Resume Services</a> and was very pleased (and got the job I was targeting), but if you are good at writing and presenting yourself, I dont think its necessary. im pretty sure most decent writers will give a free review so it doesnt hurt to ask their opinion even if you dont hire them, you might get some ideas that you can use yourself.

JeffGreenberg in New York, New York

8 months ago

Tom Pettyfer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: Hello everyone,

I desperately need a new job in preferably a new field. I believe I could improve my resume. Also my linked in page could use a boost as well. Was just looking for some honest opinions on professional resume services, and if you know any reputable ones that would be great.

Thank you

Yes. Don't be ignorant enough to thing some of these guys can help you. You justt to weed out the awful ones....so you need to find the right one. There are alot of "professional" resume writers out there that won't do any better than you would. I've used two. The second one helped me ALOT, was well worth the money. Myer Resumes....ask for Chris Ward - www.myerresumes.com - if I remember rightly he has won awards, been featured in magazines like fast company/forbes etc and was on salary.com.

Howie in Syosset, New York

7 months ago

Hi Tom,

Resume writing services are definitely useful if they are thorough and skilled. People often feel like their Resume is standard and traditional, because they have to be, but they don't. The people at BrandedResumes were a huge help in completing my Resume, and I can't thank them enough for playing a role in securing my current job. They took the time to get to know me and it clearly showed in their final product. Definitely recommend them, and their much better than the competition.

Jude in Rancho Cucamonga, California

7 months ago

Can someone recommend a Professional Resume writer for a construction project manager with a diverse background in multiple fields? I would prefer someone that understands the industrial background of fabrication, welding, machinist, mechanical design, six sigma, etc. Thanks for your help.

AtExit8 in City, New Jersey

7 months ago

Jude in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: Can someone recommend a Professional Resume writer for a construction project manager with a diverse background in multiple fields? I would prefer someone that understands the industrial background of fabrication, welding, machinist, mechanical design, six sigma, etc. Thanks for your help.

You do realize "professional" resume writer's background is generally in something like Communications, English, or some such.
Hardly someone who knows anything about welding, CNC, 6 sigma, etc.

Someone100 in Florida

7 months ago

I tried webtechresume.com and I felt it was a ripoff. I went to Google and copied and pasted parts of the resume and cover letter they put together for me, and Google returned dozens and sometimes hundreds of search results. I tried rephrasing those certain parts but still didn't get very many responses.

DMA in Calabasas, California

5 months ago

alexdemos in New York, New York said: No! They're a waste of money. I look at resumes and would be happy to do it for free if you'd like.

Could you look at my resume?

From,
Devon
devonasaro@gmail.com

Zmontano

5 months ago

Can I please have you review mine
Thank you

Antoine in Brooklyn, New York

5 months ago

Hi Alex,
I am currently looking for a new job in NYC and find it difficult to get interviews. I am looking for someone to help with my resume.
I just saw your message and was wondering if you could help, with some advice or else.

You can contact here: parisis.antoine@gmail.com

Best,
Antoine

5 months ago

Zmontano said: Can I please have you review mine
Thank you

Maybe if "alexdemos in New York, New York" doesn't get back to us we could all three exchange resumes and give our opinion?

From,
Devon
devonasaro@gmail.com

5 months ago

Antoine in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi Alex,
I am currently looking for a new job in NYC and find it difficult to get interviews. I am looking for someone to help with my resume.
I just saw your message and was wondering if you could help, with some advice or else.

You can contact here: parisis.antoine@gmail.com

Best,
Antoine

Maybe if "alexdemos in New York, New York" doesn't get back to us we could all three exchange resumes and give our opinion?

From,
Devon
devonasaro@gmail.com

moaddabo in North York, Ontario

5 months ago

Oh really?? thank you so much! how can I contact you?

patrick4242 in Linden, Michigan

5 months ago

alexdemos, would you consider looking at mine and giving me some insight?

Robert Gomez in Texas

4 months ago

I have a resume tha I would love some guidance please. Thank you!

cv cv cv in Islington, United Kingdom

4 months ago

Thank you

www.fiverr.com/streamline_cv/professionally-design-and-edit-your-cv-resume-cover-letter

cv in Islington, United Kingdom

4 months ago

Robert Gomez in Texas said: I have a resume tha I would love some guidance please. Thank you!

www.fiverr.com/streamline_cv/professionally-design-and-edit-your-cv-resume-cover-letter

Josh Harris in Camden, New Jersey

4 months ago

I am looking to get my resume done in the field of Biomedical Engineering. Anyone ha e a recommendation for this? Lots of places have no idea what my field is and how to speak the lingo that recruiters are looking for.

KWHadley in Fernandina Beach, Florida

4 months ago

Love the advice here and appreciate the guidance. I have a tricky one and not sure where to go - I can write a solid resume but now I have a gap that I'm not sure how I handle. I was caught in a RIF two years ago and since my mother was ill, spent some necessary time supporting her. While that was happening I volunteered and kept busy getting skills that are valuable as a human, co-worker, etc but not in my career field. Mom passed and now I've moved to a new state with my family and need to get back in the workforce. How do I reflect this time in my resume? If I explain it in a cover letter, not sure my resume won't just get tossed? Is this time for a professional resume writer??

Thank you in advance for any advice and help!

Tchhabs in Kansas City, Missouri

3 months ago

Hi Alex,

I am looking to switch fields, would you look at my resume?

AlyC

3 months ago

Josh Harris in Camden, New Jersey said: I am looking to get my resume done in the field of Biomedical Engineering . Anyone ha e a recommendation for this? Lots of places have no idea what my field is and how to speak the lingo that recruiters are looking for.

Hi Josh, I am a 45 yr old non-traditional student who went back to technical school for an Associate Degree in Biotechnology. I have a BA in Sales and Marketing and work experience in everything from Fine Dining and Ultra High End Retail management to Banking Compliance and Fraud Systems, Financial Operations, Insurance Legal Administration. I am seeking a position now as a laboratory and research assistant in Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing and/or R&D. I have found many companies that are headhunters in the field for people who are as qualified as you, but nothing at my entry level of experience and education. If you are interested, I can find the companies I thought looked the most legitimate and post them here. I would think that they would be able to help you with industry specific fine tuning of your resume. Best of luck!

Josh Harris in Camden, New Jersey

3 months ago

That would be fantastic and much appreciated. Thank you!

CrewsIL in Bloomington, Illinois

3 months ago

Hello! Would you be willing to look at my resume?

Mada in Miami, Florida

2 months ago

Yes they work great- I used resumecompleter.com, they were amazing!

Thank you

Mada in Miami, Florida

2 months ago

Yes they work great- I used resumecompleter.com, they were amazing!

Andrew L in Pompano Beach, Florida

2 months ago

i too used resume completer (resumecompleter.com) - they were really great! it was great to be able to use the site and talk to the writer to get unlimited revisions...

uscrudd in Columbia, South Carolina

2 months ago

Give ResumePundits.com a try. They did good work for me

Moeka

2 months ago

alexdemos in New York, New York said: Nothing. If you don't want help then that's fine too.

Do you still resume write for free?

Tatiyana in Louisville, Kentucky

2 months ago

If you want your resume to get the attention of hiring managers, it needs to be formatted to catch the eye. Some resumes are just a wall of text with no formatting to set them off from the pile of resumes the hiring manager must filter through.

Next, your summary or qualifications (or executive summary) should give a snapshot of your experiences, skills and what you will bring to the table if chosen for the position. It should have specific keywords and phrases, especially if the company you are applying to uses Applicant Tracking System (ATS) software. Since most job positions get 200+ resumes, companies use this software to weed out resumes and narrow them down to those with the keywords and phrases they specify. So, if your resume does not have these, then it will be eliminated before it even gets on the hiring manager's desk.

Next, when your resume does get to the hiring manager's desk, to have your resume chosen for an interview, the content needs to give a whole view of who you are professionally and a bit of your personal self. But most importantly, employers look for information on a resume that tells them what you have accomplished and what the results were, for example, "closed 40 sales over a 3-month period" or "responsible for managing 500+ products in a warehouse environment on a monthly basis". These are measurable achievements with numbers (very important!).

So, PROFESSIONAL RESUME WRITERS REALLY DO HELP, if you feel you need help with putting together an eye-catching, engaging and compelling resume that gets you interviews, which is the goal, right?

You could also use an online resume builder like, MyPerfectResume, which seems to be a good one.

But if you are willing to invest in using a paid professional resume service, choose one that can show samples and answer any questions you have up front like, ExpertResumeWritingServices.com. Their resumes will get you noticed and their prices are lower than other services.

Robin in Louisville, Kentucky

2 months ago

I understand because my mom passed away this year too and I needed to get back into the workforce in a serious way. I was spending a lot of my time taking care of her. I looked into TheResumeWritingGroup.com, ExpertResumeWritingServices.com and WriteInColor.com and I went with Expert Resume Writing Services because their samples look professional and clean and their pricing is not as high as some of the others. I was referred to them by Tatiyana who is also in this forum, so it's good to have referrals for stuff.

KWHadley in Fernandina Beach, Florida said: Love the advice here and appreciate the guidance. I have a tricky one and not sure where to go - I can write a solid resume but now I have a gap that I'm not sure how I handle. I was caught in a RIF two years ago and since my mother was ill, spent some necessary time supporting her. While that was happening I volunteered and kept busy getting skills that are valuable as a human, co-worker, etc but not in my career field. Mom passed and now I've moved to a new state with my family and need to get back in the workforce. How do I reflect this time in my resume? If I explain it in a cover letter, not sure my resume won't just get tossed? Is this time for a professional resume writer??

Thank you in advance for any advice and help!

Mary Walton in Montréal, Quebec

2 months ago

You may expect from the resume writer to turn your boring, bland resume into well-crafted marketing tool that will show off your skills and experience in the most compelling light. You might expect that the resume written by professional writer will get more interview invitations, confidence to nail the interview and land your dream job(or get hired).
What I realized is that most resume writers don't understand HR and recruitment process!
I consulted 4 professional resume writers I found on www.fiverr.com/ and local writers on linkedin.com. But the final resume they provided still lacked proper formatting, industry-specific terminology and relevant keyword optimization to meet ATS standards.

That's why I switched to resume writing services. I tried several top resume services mentioned in the thread. I ordered my final resume from ResumeCVwriter (resumecvwriter.com)

I realized that they are several advantages of resume writing services over resume writers.

The first one is guarantees most resume writing services provide (including nice Refund and Revision policy), which you can’t always expect from the sole writer.

The second advantage is probably the vast choice of writers. Resume writing companies hire professionals with specialized experience in various industries. Thus they can pair each client with someone who is a strong match for their required professional background. You can’t expect expertise in your industry field from the sole writer.

The third advantage, which is probably the strongest advantage I found is ATS software most resume writing companies use(resumecvwriter.com probably used it via API) for checking the final resume before the delivery. ATS is used by recruiters and employers during the hiring process to collect, sort, scan, and rank the job applications they receive for their open positions. If your resume is ATS ready, your chances of being noticed grow enormously!

ScottJH in Fairhope, Alabama

2 months ago

I am interested in having you look at my resume if you are still doing so.
Thanks
Scott Hudson

Joseph Aaron in Apo

1 month ago

alexdemos Please look at my resume. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

sunshinedoglov

1 month ago

AlexDemos in New York, New York said: No! They're a waste of money. I look at resumes and would be happy to do it for free if you'd like.

Hello,
Can you look over my resume please.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.