I don't understand how a banquet server can get $10.00 and no gratuities for all the work we do.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

dovelet in Saint Louis, Missouri

103 months ago

debbie evans said: I work at Old HICKERY GOLF COURSE in st. charles and i only make $10.00 an hour and no gratuities,we set for all sorts of events,fold napkins,polish silverware,lift tables and chairs and etc.i don't get why that pay rate is so low.

My sister is a server at a Buffet style restaurant in Missouri...she makes a whopping $3.62 an hour. People are eating out in tis economy, but many of them are NOT tipping at all. So $10.00 sounds really good.

Reply

Jayradical in Washington, District of Columbia

100 months ago

I heard you can make $45.00 an hour!!!

Reply

Annie in Minneapolis, Minnesota

100 months ago

$45 an hour had to be as a regular server for meals, coctails, etc. I would guess. That doesn't sound like any "banquet servers" wages that I know. When restaurants charge $10 for a potato and $50 for steak, plus bottles of wine, etc. your total cost of the check rises fast. With a 15-20% tip, you may average $45/hour. But for most, that would be the exception to the rule. You may be lucky enough to earn a fair wage in hotels that still share gratutity, but most are starting to keep it for themselves. After reading some of the comments made, $10/hour could be a good wage for some people in certain areas of the country. But, if you live where there is a higher cost of living (like where I do), the $10/hour doesn't make it (especially if you are single with children). Most have to look elsewhere for a better paying job or take on more than one job. Several years ago, I was hired at a hotel that shared gratutity. After a couple years, it was bought out by a different hotel chain that opted to pay a flat $10 wage with no gratuity. I left before the switch. When the chain bought the hotel, they decided to let ALL the workers go them and not rehire them. Several of the older workers who had worked there most of their lives applied again but none of them were hired. They took the younger people, saying they were better able to lift the trays and had the speed to work faster. (The hotel could also pay a flat $10/hour with no tip to the younger kids who weren't used to anything better.) Rules change with new ownership. Was it fair? Depends on what side of the fence you were sitting on...managment or worker. I say if you have the banqueting skills and they won't share gratuity, look for a regular serving job that allows you to keep your tips. You earned them. Usually the bigger the check total, the bigger the tip. Use those banquet serving customer service skills to get into regular restaurant where you get paid for the work and skills you use.

Reply

Server in Nashua, New Hampshire

98 months ago

The fact is most clients see the banquet gratuity added to the bill they think that the money goes to the servers. It is in the best interest in the sales marketing people not to explain the details of the banquet gratuity or service charge to avoid any confusion. So when the hotel or function facility pockets the money that is implied to go the the people actually making the event happen, it is wrong. When a 15,000 wedding bill has a 3,000 gratuity on it most would assume that the service staff is taken care of. The truth is the majority of the server never sees. Although most places do the same practice, most would still say it is deceiving. $10 may not seem low to some people but given the nature of the hours and working conditions, these people don't have understanding on current social and economic hardships these people sacrifice to make a honest living. When people spend big bucks on wedding on high end corporate events, exceptional service is expected. Many people working at McDonald's and Target get $10 an hour and most of these people don't have a concept on what customer service actually is. Not to mention the hours of a banquet server are extremely inconsistent. Basically you are working long hours and late nights when it is busy and not at all when it slow. I don't know any banquet servers with a so called regular schedule. With such an inconsistent schedule it makes it hard to work other jobs or adapt to any type of routine schedule. Sometimes I get a few a bucks left behind by either the contact or the guests. Usually it is not much, but just enough to let me know that my hard work is recognized and appreciated. So next time you are a wedding or event and you get great service, let your server know that you appreciate their efforts.

Reply

baz in Clearwater, Florida

98 months ago

debbie evans said: I work at Old HICKERY GOLF COURSE in st. charles and i only make $10.00 an hour and no gratuities,we set for all sorts of events,fold napkins,polish silverware,lift tables and chairs and etc.i don't get why that pay rate is so low.

I have been a banquet server for 26 years. You need to not for companies that pay flat hourly rate. Work for a hotel, I work for a well named hotel and make 50k per year

Reply

Annie in Minneapolis, Minnesota

98 months ago

baz in Clearwater, Florida said: I have been a banquet server for 26 years. You need to not for companies that pay flat hourly rate. Work for a hotel, I work for a well named hotel and make 50k per year

50K a year is great wages and tips for a banquet server. You are very lucky. Unfortunately, all the hotels in my area have switched to the flat rate for banquet servers as they are learning there is more money in it for themselves. They are in business to make money...from their customers...employees...vendors...whoever. It is a vanishing hotel chain that still shares gratuity with the servers...in Minneapolis anyway.

Reply

mauricee in Mokena, Illinois

95 months ago

we get 8.75 an hour and not even more than 20Hrs a week with no gratuity at all its BS!!!

Reply

mgmbeatle in Virginia Beach, Virginia

94 months ago

First, I am the same mgmbeatle from Seattle earlier in this posting about a year ago. I relocated to Virginia Beach, VA. about 2 months ago.

What I am finding here in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area is that they can get away paying $2.13hr to tipped employee's. I stayed in catering because I like the creative side of it. I am now starting to rethink this. Yes, I will always like the catering end but it would be extremely difficult to stay in this career choice here.

Checking through different sites for work such as the newspapers, hcareers and other websites like craigslist, etc. I have come to the conclusion I would be extremely lucky to make $10 or more per hour here. I applied with a very well known hotel chain who is internationally known and you would expect to be something a little better. What they were offering was a flat 9.50hr. flat rate. No gratuity/tips.

I just don't get how places like this for instance can screw their employees when say the meal per person was roughly mid-upper 20's on the average. Then they charge a mandatory 20% gratuity charge. Lets say the meal per person is 25.00 X 20% = $5.00. If they had say 150 people they would pay $3750 for food and collect an additional mandatory $750 for a gratuity. That is $4500. Perhaps they charged the client for the use of the room or maybe they waived the room rental, I am not sure. Of course they probably would have had at least 3 to 5 or more servers. Who would never see any part of this $750. I think it is screwed up. I worked for a place in WA. where they would have divided the 750 giving a percentage to servers.
Why should I work hard for 9.50hr when I could do a regular 40 hr. consistent work week making maybe 8 or 9 hr. doing some non thinking, less physical work job?

Reply

Joe in Las Vegas, Nevada

93 months ago

um, i have an interview at Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas strip for a banquet server. Now according to majority of the comments here i do believe. I've worked recently worked as Banquet Server for this huge event about Ed Bozarth Chevy dealers. i had a flat rate of $9.00 an hour and thats all i got just the flat rate pay. Not too familiar with banquet serving, most of the time i have been a server for many restaurants. Servers in general put up a lot stress just to make a living, sometimes selling ourselves to give the best quality service to get the best tips. Serving definitely is not an easy job at all. Many servers lose their jobs because of the stress level, especially in Las Vegas. And Baz if it is true that you make 50K at a hotel as a Banquet server, then this interview i have with Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas I definitely have to really try my best and show good impression. But, aside of that yes server takes a lot of knowledge its not easy, i remember when i was a server right when i turned 21 i got paid $2.14 an hour and tips usually maxed out only $40 per night. For the work and constant awareness is definitely not worth it. but for most people they don't have a choice. That's why its considered to be a blue collar job. so it all depends on how you see it.Alot of that speak or commented are the hard workers of restaurant and hotels. you cant simply say we set up stuff and that is nothing. the preparation we do is a lot more then what you think, so in other words dont say get another job unless you have alot of experience in serving or have experience in the food and beverage. I always appreciate my fellow servers and back waiters.

Reply

jp in Clearwater, Florida

88 months ago

Joe in Las Vegas, Nevada said: um, i have an interview at Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas strip for a banquet server. Now according to majority of the comments here i do believe. I've worked recently worked as Banquet Server for this huge event about Ed Bozarth Chevy dealers. i had a flat rate of $9.00 an hour and thats all i got just the flat rate pay. Not too familiar with banquet serving, most of the time i have been a server for many restaurants. Servers in general put up a lot stress just to make a living, sometimes selling ourselves to give the best quality service to get the best tips. Serving definitely is not an easy job at all. Many servers lose their jobs because of the stress level, especially in Las Vegas. And Baz if it is true that you make 50K at a hotel as a Banquet server, then this interview i have with Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas I definitely have to really try my best and show good impression. But, aside of that yes server takes a lot of knowledge its not easy, i remember when i was a server right when i turned 21 i got paid $2.14 an hour and tips usually maxed out only $40 per night. For the work and constant awareness is definitely not worth it. but for most people they don't have a choice. That's why its considered to be a blue collar job. so it all depends on how you see it.Alot of that speak or commented are the hard workers of restaurant and hotels. you cant simply say we set up stuff and that is nothing. the preparation we do is a lot more then what you think, so in other words dont say get another job unless you have alot of experience in serving or have experience in the food and beverage. I always appreciate my fellow servers and back waiters.

if you get into the cosmopolitan as a full time A list banquet server you will be making 100-120k per year

Reply

jp in Clearwater, Florida

88 months ago

if you get fulltime Alist at the cosmopolitan as a banquet server you will be making 100-120k per year

Reply

A-List in North Las Vegas, Nevada

86 months ago

jp in Clearwater, Florida said: if you get fulltime Alist at the cosmopolitan as a banquet server you will be making 100-120k per year

Curt is that you????

Reply

Job in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

83 months ago

I work at a hotel that starts the begginer's wage over the minimum and gives a raise to the worker yearly if you do a good job. I wouldnt mind a better wage since there is such an incosistency of the hours worked weekly. The use of temps seems to be another problem. This creates an issue where the hotel borrows temp workers that they pay a dollar less than ours, and they pay an
added hourly fee to the temp service for each worker added presenting the cost of each borrowed worker a higer amount than our wage. This is irritating becuase instead of just hiring permanent employees and increasing the amount earned biweekly for the permanent employees, they are paying more to rent out employees from temp services. There will still be a need for temp services for major events that hold up to 700 to 1500 people, but the ones below that should be covered by the main crew.

Reply

jffstad@*****.*** in Washington, District of Columbia

80 months ago

debbie evans said: I work at Old HICKERY GOLF COURSE in st. charles and i only make $10.00 an hour and no gratuities,we set for all sorts of events,fold napkins,polish silverware,lift tables and chairs and etc.i don't get why that pay rate is so low.

Your getting screwed/ In Boston you get hourly plus 15%, prehaps the company is charging the cleint gratuity and management is pocketing it. Very illegal in Mass. Starwood hotels just settled a $10 million dollar lawsuit against them for that reason. Good Luck

Reply

jffstad@*****.*** in Washington, District of Columbia

80 months ago

mauricee in Mokena, Illinois said: we get 8.75 an hour and not even more than 20Hrs a week with no gratuity at all its BS!!!

quit, your getting screwed by big corp.

Reply

Brian Francis Fenlon in Palm Harbor, Florida

73 months ago

Bomax in Cocoa, Florida said: Debbie, I went to work as a banquet server and left my former job of 24 years because of the Director of Banquets and the reputation that proceeded him. A good Banquet Job revolves around the Director. Service of food requires payment by tipping. The tips are based on a percentage of the contract . If a facility is only paying 10 an hour , you are receiving way below 10 percent of a bill if it were broken down to per person. The hourly amount is not relevant to regular joe smoe jobs. A lot of product is moved in a VERY short amount of time. A server may easily move 8 hours worth of food in 1 1/2 at a banquet. The client pays for that and the servers, stewards managers and so on get normal or less than normal gratuity. The convention company the client uses "Contact" take a large peice as well.

as a former Director of Convention services for a large hotel and resort I must agree that your gratuities percentage is quite low. however, I must admit that I've seen a decline in perks and benefits offered to the service staff now a days than I remember not too many years back. unfortunately, as it becomes the normal way of doing business more and more properties will take on this behavior and end up with an unhappy service staff.

Reply

mizzcbreezy in Orangeburg, South Carolina

73 months ago

ten dollars sounds real good to me as a part time being that I work in retail and only make 7.45 an hr and i started off makin 7.25 after my first year i got a .20 raise..when i was a waitress i made 2.13 and hr plus tips and i did pretty good. I guess it really depends on the area u live in .

Reply

server in Seminole, Florida

67 months ago

Jayradical in Washington, District of Columbia said: I heard you can make $45.00 an hour!!!

Maybe in HI ?
I have worked in the 3 major areas of FL ( lower wages overall) then the Northeast and CA anyway.
and as a banquet server in the good hotels as a leader/full-time server getting the better shifts, as they can vary from less then minimum wage to maybee $45/hr. But the average hourly total tips, grat and cash tips is around $20/hr.
Not bad for no educational requirements and only decent communication skills and a few hours of real hard work.
But nothing great, many of the people I have worked with in this industry should be making double that with their work ethic and skills.

Reply

discouraged in Jackson, Tennessee

66 months ago

I was taught to work hard and quickly and to please my guests. When there is a standard base rate and gratuity share there is little incentive to be as efficient and courteous
as possible. Regardless of how well you perform you receive the same or little more than less experienced co-workers. In Tennessee, twenty years ago I earned a base of $10.00 hourly plus gratuity share. I earned between $12.50 TO $26.50 based on the management of the function. I now earn the flat $10.00. With taxes removed I end up with less than $8.00 hourly to take home. A 40 hour week brings just $320.00. As minimum wage increases and my hourly rate does not. Bringing many like me down to poverty level. I am educated in Food and Beverage Hospitality. I am simply dumbfounded. Working harder than ever to stay in place.

Reply

discouraged in Jackson, Tennessee

66 months ago

Brian Francis Fenlon in Palm Harbor, Florida said: as a former Director of Convention services for a large hotel and resort I must agree that your gratuities percentage is quite low. however, I must admit that I've seen a decline in perks and benefits offered to the service staff now a days than I remember not too many years back. unfortunately, as it becomes the normal way of doing business more and more properties will take on this behavior and end up with an unhappy service staff.

Unhappy staff who will not respect the employers. Have little interest in providing good service and take advantage of those who do. Are we to lower our standards, to give employers what they are paying for?

Reply

Larry in Orlando, Florida

66 months ago

My new book The Banquet Captains Bible has a chapter on gratuity and non-gratuity cities, it is available on Amazon.

Reply

Alexis in Scottsdale, Arizona

60 months ago

Jayradical in Washington, District of Columbia said: I heard you can make $45.00 an hour!!!

I was working at the scottsdlae princess and was consistently making 30-45 + an hour...so I do that that there are jobs put here...other resorts sill pay well but more on the 25/hr rate..I am planning to move to ATL can you please give me advise about which resorts pay at least close to 45/hr. I Sinserly appreciate it!!!

Thank u
Alexis

Reply

Chad in Allen Park, Michigan

59 months ago

I worked at a banquet center as a supervisor and only made a flat hour rate of 9 dollars an hour with no gratuity. I got a job as a banquet sever at a hotel that offered me 3.25 per hour plus guaranteed gratuity that averages 12 dollars an hour. To me, that sounds like a better deal than being in charge of a 300 person wedding for a flat rate of 9, but I am nervous that the gratuity will not live up to the hype. Has anyone else have the issue of not getting paid well from guaranteed gratuity?

Reply

bboards1 in Buffalo, New York

46 months ago

I currently am the Banquet Manager at a 4 star hotel. On all of our banquets there is a 20% gratuity with 4% going to the house and 16% to the servers. They are paid $8-$10 per hour plus their share of the tip pool. It is the rule not the exception that they can earn $1000 or more a week in gratuity's

Reply

former server in Concord, California

41 months ago

Can you refuse to pay a gratuity? Can you insist on tipping staff yourself?

Reply

Neil in Traveston, Australia

39 months ago

Hi guys, I just had to reply after reading this thread. I live in Queensland, Australia, home of crocodile wrestler Steve Irwin.
I am a banquet server and I am constantly shocked when I hear about wages in America. Seriously dudes. You guys are
being ripped off. Your wage system is absolutely brutal. Not just hospitality, but across the board. Consider this. The Australian
dollar and the U.S. dollar are pretty much on par. It varies slightly from time to time but generally is approx the same. In the U.S.
you consider $10 an hour a good rate. In Australia we have a minimum wage of about $23.00 per hour. Admittedly, we hear that
goods are cheaper in the U.S., but I don't think the difference warrants wages less than half that of Australia. I guess I'm not
telling you something you don't already know. Your government obviously supports the business man before employees. Our
government also couldn't care less about the worker. But what we have, is a two party system. The Liberals ( in now ) want to
keep wages low and introduce crap worker agreements. Then Labor gets elected and the agreements get chucked out. It see-saws.
But our underlying laws maintain a good basic wage structure. We do not tip and earn a great wage without them.

Reply

Neil in Traveston, Australia

39 months ago

continued...
When you get good service from a waiter, you know he/she genuinely likes their job. I suspect that in the U.S. many waiters who smile
and give good service are doing so because their survival depends on it. That must be like some kind of modern day slavery. I imagine
that a lot of waiters must live in absolute despair at trying to make ends meet. Even your unemployment handouts terminate after a
short time. In Australia, the handouts continue as long as you need them, although they are toughening up on bludgers. They are
introducing new work for the dole laws. I think you guys need to lobby government for better laws supporting workers. Good luck. You
can always come to the Gold Coast, Australia. Party Central. 28 degree average temp. All the best .xx

Reply

Neil in Traveston, Australia

39 months ago

That's 28 degrees Celsius!! Don't forget to bring your surfboard !!

Reply

oxyzavy in Rohnert Park, California

36 months ago

Under some state laws service charges and gratuity charges need to be remitted to servers. Regardless of whether the entire amount is being remitted to servers, it is common practice for restaurants and hotels to NOT properly calculate those gratuities towards overtime.

There is a firm investigating these practices. I just read news about a CLASS ACTION for unpaid overtime and gratuity across the country:

sheller.com/sheller-class-action-sofitel-hotels-staff-unpaid-overtime-wages-and-gratuity/

Hope this helps somebody.

Reply

Jackson in Midlothian, Virginia

36 months ago

Hey man 10$ an hour is actual really low for a banquet server. I moved from working as a restaurant server which paid 2.13hr plus tips to catering banquet server and started at 20$ an hour. And it can go up from there depending on the company and your experience. So quit waiting tables and find a catering company. By the way the work is twice if not three times easier/ less stressful.

Reply

mashell in Scottsdale, Arizona

35 months ago

Jayradical in Washington, District of Columbia said: I heard you can make $45.00 an hour!!!

I've been a banquet server for 2 1/2 years in AZ and we make from 20 to 50 dollars in hour. 20 in the summer when work is slow 35 during season and 50 when we are booked! :)

Reply

Anna in Chandler, Arizona

30 months ago

mashell in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I've been a banquet server for 2 1/2 years in AZ and we make from 20 to 50 dollars in hour. 20 in the summer when work is slow 35 during season and 50 when we are booked! :)

What company are you working for in Arizona?

Reply

mashell in La Verne, California

30 months ago

The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess

Reply

waitress in Farmingville, New York

25 months ago

I'm a waitress at a catering hall in Lake Ronkonkoma NY and I get paid $10/hourly. I was recently told by one of the waitstaff that our catering hall doesn't include gratuity and I don't think that's right. We all work too hard and don't get anything out of it. Same with the other catering hall I worked for i wasnt seeing my tips there either and tips were included at that catering hall the matrie'ds and captains were taking all our tips. They are supposed to give the tips out to the waitstaff after every party.

Reply

CATJ in Cleveland, Ohio

25 months ago

What I have observed in my limited experience as a both a banquet and a sports venue server, is that customers/guests don't always understand ...I have waited on both very generous and very stingy people and also those who are just ignorant of what service they are paying for...I really appreciate the generous people - I rely on them to make all the hard work worth my time and effort. The stingy people who know better should not go out if they can't afford it. And the ignorant people just need a little education. That's the tough spot American workers who rely on tips are in.

Reply

reedbenz in Scottsdale, Arizona

24 months ago

Alexis in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I was working at the scottsdlae princess and was consistently making 30-45 + an hour...so I do that that there are jobs put here...other resorts sill pay well but more on the 25/ hr rate..I am planning to move to ATL can you please give me advise about which resorts pay at least close to 45/hr. I Sinserly appreciate it!!!

Thank u
Alexis

I live in Scottsdale. Could you please tell me where you worked at where you made that much money????

Thank you!!!!

Reply

Paul in Arvada, Colorado

24 months ago

Does anyone know which Denver Hotels pay their Banquet Servers gratuities?

Reply

Diann in Charleston, South Carolina

24 months ago

Isn't it against the law to advertise a gratuity fee for a bartender or server in a banquet if your not receivin it? False information. The company's that are paying a flat rate.

Reply

Amber in Mount Pleasant, Michigan

22 months ago

I work at Tullymore we get 20 percent of any banquet it's way way way over $10 a hour they take great care if us there :)

Reply

KNF in Manhattan Beach, California

16 months ago

Larry in Orlando, Florida said: My new book The Banquet Captains Bible has a chapter on gratuity and non-gratuity cities, it is available on Amazon.

Larry, I know this is a really old thread, but I would love to purchase your book, but it's no longer on Amazon and I can't find it digitally? Would you be able to sell me a digital copy asap?
kfoster@shadehotel.com

Thanks!
Kate

Reply

ryananglin in Gilbert, Arizona

11 months ago

Server in Nashua, New Hampshire said: The fact is most clients see the banquet gratuity added to the bill they think that the money goes to the servers. It is in the best interest in the sales marketing people not to explain the details of the banquet gratuity or service charge to avoid any confusion. So when the hotel or function facility pockets the money that is implied to go the the people actually making the event happen, it is wrong. When a 15,000 wedding bill has a 3,000 gratuity on it most would assume that the service staff is taken care of. The truth is the majority of the server never sees. Although most places do the same practice, most would still say it is deceiving. $10 may not seem low to some people but given the nature of the hours and working conditions, these people don't have understanding on current social and economic hardships these people sacrifice to make a honest living. When people spend big bucks on wedding on high end corporate events , exceptional service is expected. Many people working at McDonald's and Target get $10 an hour and most of these people don't have a concept on what customer service actually is. Not to mention the hours of a banquet server are extremely inconsistent. Basically you are working long hours and late nights when it is busy and not at all when it slow. I don't know any banquet servers with a so called regular schedule. With such an inconsistent schedule it makes it hard to work other jobs or adapt to any type of routine schedule. Sometimes I get a few a bucks left behind by either the contact or the guests. Usually it is not much, but just enough to let me know that my hard work is recognized and appreciated. So next time you are a wedding or event and you get great service, let your server know that you appreciate their efforts.

I guess it all depends on where you are at. My property is base rate plus tip pool and my captains and one full time have full benifits.

Reply

ryananglin in Hanover, New Hampshire

11 months ago

Why should I work hard for 9.50hr when I could do a regular 40 hr . consistent work week making maybe 8 or 9 hr. doing some non thinking, less physical work job?

It’s all in where you work. My servers make a base rate plus tip pool of 12%. My full time captains make even more than the servers and have full benifits. It’s all about the culture of the company and how they want to take care of their employees. I work my staff to the bone during busy season, but they are well compensated for it. Happy well paid staff = happy well taken care of guests.

Reply

Ben in Denver, Colorado

5 months ago

I was making 9 an hour no tips to start as a temp banquet server but when I went to a brewing company in Jacksonville I was making 15+ tips so 20-25 an hour for the same work. Don't let them screw you and don't let them take your tips I worked Easter and made about 750 in tips alone on top of 13 an hour (out here in Colorado). Been doing this for about 5 years total. Colorado and Vegas are the places to be. Get a job at a high end country club they'll set you up right. Or anywhere rich people are, forget doing it at the low end or Florida ( at least not in the Northeast where I'm from) no one tips and everyone acts appallingly trashy. Come out west and make some money. - Check jobs in Boulder Golden Denver and Colorado Springs. Wouldn't try Pueblo as a warning. Just hit Craigslist with that resume it's easy to get on out here you just have to do it! The season runs from now till September out this way. Also working for hotels out here will get you discounted rooms. As cheap as 25 a night depending

Reply

Bbbbbbb in Monkey island, Oklahoma

2 months ago

Shangri-la on Monkey Island in Oklahoma only pays their Housemen $7.25. They work on average 12-16 hour days. Along with all the physical labor (transporting tables and chairs,to any location booked for an event. 15 or more tables set for 10)they also help servers polish glasses, silverware etc. and even serve during banquets upon request. They handle all a. V. Equipment, transport food and beverages, decorations and equipment to off-premises event locations when booked. And help other departments in the hotel any time they are needed. There are 2 of them. For all that work that work they only make $7.25. Meanwhile the hostess of the restaurant who does nothing but stand there all day, who's most physical labor she has to do is walk customers to their chairs. And sweep her tiny little hostess area, makes $9. These Houseman do not get included in any tips or gratuity. These Housemen never complain and bend over backwards for this hotel. It's really heart breaking when a server who worked half as many hours.makes twice as much. These banquets would not be possible without these Housemen. Bartenders get cash tips plus the gratuity and pretty penny an hour. Servers and Housemen polish their bar glasses for them. They basically come in and serve drinks then leave. Why should they get a piece of the gratuity if the men who worked so hard to make it all even possible do not? I know the servers or bar tenders don't want to be the ones to do all the manual and mental labor it takes to do a Houseman's job.

Reply

Kmacgood in Chicago Heights, Illinois

4 days ago

mauricee in Mokena, Illinois said: we get 8.75 an hour and not even more than 20Hrs a week with no gratuity at all its BS!!!

I would quit there

Reply

Kmgood in Chicago Heights, Illinois

4 days ago

mauricee in Mokena, Illinois said: we get 8.75 an hour and not even more than 20Hrs a week with no gratuity at all its BS!!!

Find a new job but do not go to Trails Edge in Frankfort. The gm tries to pull illegal things with the tips all the time.

Reply

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.