Question regarding becoming a Registered Dietitian?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

CMpO in New Orleans, Louisiana

97 months ago

I recently completed 4 years of undergrad in Dietetics at an ADA/ CADE accredited program. However, I was wondering if I had to go back to an ADA accredited school in order to take the RD exam or if I could study/work right under a dietitian for the next year or so (1200 hours) and still be eligible to take the RD exam.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jbluejules in Youngstown, Ohio

95 months ago

Unfortunately, you can't work under a dietitian of your choice. You must be accepted in to an ADA accredited internship/supervised practice program. Each program is a little different, but it is quite competitive and somewhat challenging to find a program. There is a master list of the programs on Once you complete the program, you are then considered to be R.D. eligible and can work as a dietitian (under a limited permit) until you take and pass the exam to become R.D.

The other option after the 4 year degree is completed, I believe, you are allowed to take the DTR exam and work as a diet tech, until you find an internship in order to become RD.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.