Event Planner-The Beginning

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Kay B. in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

132 months ago

Hello! I am getting started in the Event Planing insdustry. What steps do I take to get started (baby steps). I don't have a degree of any kind. I think I have to work twice as hard because of that. One good thing is, I have an "eye" for decorating and designing. I could be a interior decorator as well. What resources could I use to get started? I will take advice from anyone! I would really appreciate advice someone already in the business as well!

Thanks

Zulma in Chicago, Illinois

132 months ago

I am interested in the same field. I have been searching online for information. There are a few places that have online courses. I do not know how well they are known or what their credentials are. If I gather some precise information I will forward them to you.

eventplanner in Westport, Connecticut

132 months ago

george washington university has an excellent online certificate program. i would suggest that you start here. you should also check out industry specific sites that include bizbash.com and ises.

Kim in Marietta, Georgia

131 months ago

While this job is extremely fulfilling for many people, the positions are few and far between. I've been in the industry for 14 years and am very experienced in the trade show side of event planning. I was also in the catering and wedding coordinating business for 9 years prior to moving into this area of the industry. I have been searching for a position for the last 6 years that will place me with a solid company as an events/trade show manager or coordinator. I am a manager now in the industry, but on the shipping side, but am not fulfilled. Before you invest a lot of your time in training for this type of job, make sure you are prepared to search a long time for a position with a company. It's usually WHO you know.
Just some honest advise,
kim

Mikhail Liberman in Newton, Massachusetts

131 months ago

Exidently found this link - have no comments...
www.fabjob.com/weddingplanner.asp

Jennifer Lusignan in Fargo, North Dakota

131 months ago

I am a recent graduate with a Bachelors degree in Apparel Studies, but i really want to become an event planner. I am in some desperate need of some experience in the event planning industry.

Kay in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

131 months ago

Hello,
I am just getting started in the business as well. I would definitely start with your area. Is this in demand in your city? Next, do some researching online on event planning. If you are creative you should be fine. Call a few event planners to see what it is that they do. What's the worst the can tell you? No? If you truly have a passion for Event Planning such as myself, then you will not let anything stand in your way. My best advice...research and know your stuff when it comes time to it. Also, try to get a certificate in event management or something to that nature. There are a few schools online you can take. The hardest part of event planning is trying to understand the "business" end of it.

erika in New York, New York

131 months ago

I hosting a shop party at my house mid november and need help decorating and organizing merchandise. Are you interested in helping in exchange for clothes or a small fee? (This is my first party and my budget is low. I live in Bergen County New Jersey.
Thanks
Erika

Kay B. in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hello! I am getting started in the Event Planing insdustry. What steps do I take to get started (baby steps). I don't have a degree of any kind. I think I have to work twice as hard because of that. One good thing is, I have an "eye" for decorating and designing. I could be a interior decorator as well. What resources could I use to get started? I will take advice from anyone! I would really appreciate advice someone already in the business as well!

Thanks

Kay in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

131 months ago

erika in New York, New York said: I hosting a shop party at my house mid november and need help decorating and organizing merchandise. Are you interested in helping in exchange for clothes or a small fee? (This is my first party and my budget is low. I live in Bergen County New Jersey.
Thanks
Erika

Yes, absolutely! You can email me at kbush@eventsbykay.com

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kay

ShopPinkandBrown.com in New York, New York

131 months ago

I don't know where you are located but in NY you do need to get a permit for street fair/flea market. You need to report your earnings and pay taxes. It is however an easy process since it is only a temporary ID/Permit for a selected time period.

I had a booth and did very well but mother nature cut the day short. It was fun and cool to see how many people were interested the stuff I no longer cared for.

Good Luck!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.