How much per hour should a line cook make in Illinois?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

dennisblewett in Rockford, Illinois

25 months ago

I'm thinking I should be making at least $9.25 an hour, because McDonald's is paying that for a starting wage these days, and I'm doing much fancier stuff than McDonald's. Also, I'm 30-years-old, so I'm not a kid and do desire more than kid pay.

Here's the menu: www.tonisofwinnebago.com/tonis-menu.htm
Here's what I'll generally be doing: Food prep, cooking, and pizza making.

Interview story:
I'm working at a place called Toni's of Winnebago. I argued a starting wage of $10.50/hr but the owner placed me on $8.75/hr. The minimum wage in Illinois is $8.25/hr. I wanted to know how many hours a week, and they said 30 hours, so I agreed since I haven't worked in months and needed work. I have a general rule of not working for less than $10.00 an hour, but I've been out of work so long, people are complaining, and I am feeling the desire to make some cash rather than sit around, wait to get a CDL, and be a truck driver. The owner said I don't stick around at jobs long enough and don't have enough experience, so I should get paid lower. However, the low pay is making me think of leaving.

Current events:
Somehow my hours are now at about 20 hours a week, and I don't know how long that will be. I was pi**ed off when I saw my schedule at 20 hours for this (THIS) week. I was told that I need to be trained to be a pizza maker, also, so I think that means that's where my other 10 hours a week are. I'm not interested in sticking around for crap pay and crap hours. Also, as I've spent more time in line as a cook, I've noticed I'm profiting the owner like 300%, so if I make a meal, the owner makes like 3 times as much money from that and pays me a third, and I'd be making the owner a lot of food often.

I need some input as to what I should be paid.

25 months ago

Also, if I could change the topic, it would be this: "How much should I be making as a line cook?"

I don't have any prior experience being a cook other than cooking at home, which I generally do Chinese cooking but I'm doing some kind of Italian/Italo-American style at the restaurant.

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan

25 months ago

You are getting paid exactly what your worth is to the owner. Just because you want to be paid more doesn't mean you will or should be.
As far as making 300% profit, your numbers are way off base. Either be a good employee, work the hours, save your money, learn new skills so you can get ahead, or just quit and wait for your CDL. Either way, this guy owes you nothing except what you're currently being paid.

25 months ago

Well, if that's my worth to the owner, than the owner must not be able to do much with me, as I think if I walked down to city hall to get a business license, I could start making $10.00 an hour for myself.

25 months ago

After examining things, I'm going to have to disagree with comments. I think I should have never taken the job in the first place. Worker devaluation is not good. My employer did a bait-and-switch, as I consider, on me to get me to keep working there. Unfortunately, I had not done my research on nearby businesses and so forth. Essentially, my first check had me at ~$10.00 an hour, but then I was brought down to $8.60 an hour. No paycheck went above $250.00/wk. And if the employer can pay me $10.10 an hour for my first week of work while I'm still learning and then bring me down to $8.60 an hour, then I think the employer is ripping me off. Nearby businesses had more weekly pay.

I think I should have been paid $12.44 an hour. Understandably, that's not the norm: But that's the pay I should have got, I say, because of my belief of what the business was earning and what I could have been paid by other businesses. I can't say worker devaluation is good. And my productivity did not radically change much from my first week to the other weeks, so I do not believe I deserved an hourly pay dock.

25 months ago

correction: I should have been paid at least $12.44/hr as a starting wage. I did make the point to the employer that I was not being paid enough, which came after some employees started talking smack to me after and while I was doing dishes. If anything, I assume they didn't like me being on the line cooking. Petty. I assume my coworkers must have had some Class X felonies.

Trying to Help in Detroit, Michigan

25 months ago

What reason did he give you for paying you $10.10 then taking your pay down to $8.60? Are you getting a cut in tips or anything like that? Check your handbook for the change in pay structure.
Where did you come up with the $12.44/hr amount? You keep saying it's the pay you should have gotten, but he is under no obligation to pay you what you think you're worth. He's paying you what you're worth to his business.
PS. I doesn't matter at all what the 'business was earning'.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.