Canadian RN coming to US (California) - Need Guidance

Comments (5)

Deepak chera in san jose, California

24 months ago

Hello,

Hope all is well. I am looking to marry a woman in Canada who is a Registered Nurse there. She passed her CERN about four years ago. I live in California and the plan is for her to come to California after we marry and work as a RN here. We have a few questions that we hope you can assist us on:

1) Can the NCLEX be taken in Canada (Manitoba) and will it be acceptable here in California if she passes?
2) Would she need a Social Security Number to take the NCLEX ?
3) Will she need a social security number if she seeks licensure from the board in California?

Thanks,

Deep Chera

Skippy in Balham, United Kingdom

24 months ago

There is stiff competition in California already for American Registered Nurses, California is a hot spot, everyone wants to go there, and already overpopulated, they are pumping out nursing graduates like nobody knows, many new graduates go 2-3 years without finding a job, nevermind their preferred speciality. She may have trouble finding a job. Also, not sure for Canada, but for the rest of the world, a foreign nurses education must be compared and be equivalent to American education, or fill-in courses must be taken, which can be expensive in some places. I am not 100% certain but I believe yes, all 50 states require a valid social security number, in order to register for the test.

Varsha in Winnipeg, Manitoba

16 months ago

Deepak chera in san jose, California said: Hello,

Hope all is well. I am looking to marry a woman in Canada who is a Registered Nurse there. She passed her CERN about four years ago. I live in California and the plan is for her to come to California after we marry and work as a RN here. We have a few questions that we hope you can assist us on:

1) Can the NCLEX be taken in Canada (Manitoba) and will it be acceptable here in California if she passes?
2) Would she need a Social Security Number to take the NCLEX ?
3) Will she need a social security number if she seeks licensure from the board in California?

Thanks,

Deep Chera

Hey!
I am just wondering what your fiance ended up doing? I am a Canadian RN trying to get to California as well.

fred in Naugatuck, Connecticut

16 months ago

you need to have an American approved education. Meaning you need to have studied an AMERICAN RN program. Canada most likely isn't equivalent.

Rebecca in Alberta

8 months ago

fred in Naugatuck, Connecticut said: you need to have an American approved education . Meaning you need to have studied an AMERICAN RN program. Canada most likely isn't equivalent.

Actually Canadian and American nurses now write the exact same licensing exam when they graduate which allows us to work in either country as long as you apply for the local license to practice, so yes, our education is equivalent.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.