Personal Banker- What's the day to day like?

Comments (4)

briz0223

41 months ago

So I am in the process of leaving a fairly good paying retail job where I am an assistant manager of a high volume store but work crazy hours (usually 50+) and am losing faith in the company I am with. I have an acquaintance who says that there are far fewer customer escalations that I would be used to (at least several per day), and that the goals are easy to achieve for an experienced seller. I have 8 years of selling experience in both non-commissioned and commissioned sales environments, and a year of management experience. This is for Keybank by the way, but any input on the career overall will be appreciated.

So-
1. What are the day to day tasks like?
2. What kind of responsibilities are involved?
3. Is it easy to make commission goals?
4. Are there generally more than one seller working out of the same bank, I know this might depend on size and traffic.

Thanks!

nyny in Austin, Texas

41 months ago

I used to work as a bank teller, and I wanted to become a Personal Banker, but it took too long for the bank I work for to give me that personal banker job, so I decided to quit bank. There's downside and upside of being a personal banker. Anyway, here's my answers for your questions.
1. Day to day tasks.
For Personal Banker, you are looking to help customers with their existing account, that's number one. Second, you will get referral from teller who might bring you customer that may be interested in finding out type of loans, credit card, making changes to their account, etc.... The manager might be constantly asking you how many account you have open and what type of account. It sounds like a lot of pressure, and sometime it does, all depends on who is your manager and which bank you work for.

Quota, as you probably know. Staying late to help the customer that you stuck with. Helping teller lock up their cash.

3. Commission goals.
I didn't work as a banker, so I can't really answer this question for you, and it really vary from bank to bank.

4. More than one seller?
Yes, in general you will see more than 2 or 3 seller in the bank .

Good luck!

Sebriz0223 in New York, New York

41 months ago

Thanks!!

nyny in Austin, Texas said: I used to work as a bank teller , and I wanted to become a Personal Banker, but it took too long for the bank I work for to give me that personal banker job, so I decided to quit bank. There's downside and upside of being a personal banker. Anyway, here's my answers for your questions.
1. Day to day tasks.
For Personal Banker, you are looking to help customers with their existing account , that's number one. Second, you will get referral from teller who might bring you customer that may be interested in finding out type of loans, credit card, making changes to their account, etc.... The manager might be constantly asking you how many account you have open and what type of account. It sounds like a lot of pressure, and sometime it does, all depends on who is your manager and which bank you work for.

Quota, as you probably know. Staying late to help the customer that you stuck with. Helping teller lock up their cash.

3. Commission goals.
I didn't work as a banker, so I can't really answer this question for you, and it really vary from bank to bank.

4. More than one seller?
Yes, in general you will see more than 2 or 3 seller in the bank .

Good luck!

Sebriz0223 in New York, New York

41 months ago

Another question to throw out there... I understand that a personal banker is usually working with opening new accounts, credit cards, ect.
What are the additional types lf products I might be working with if I end up as a Licensed Relationship Manager? This is at Key Bank, but advice from anywhere would be great!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.