How do I get into the industry?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

DB57 in Columbia, South Carolina

47 months ago

Hi, I recently graduated with a BS degree in Biology and I am trying extremely hard to get into the pharmaceutical sales industry. I am great with people, took a ton of relevant courses from Economics to Public Speaking to Organic Chemistry, and I love traveling and talking to people. I know this industry is the right fit for me but the only problem is that I wrestled all the way through high school and college. Doesn't sound like a problem, it paid for my school and all but the time I dedicated to the sport didn't allow me to get much job experience... I have worked for my dad's construction company during summers mostly and besides that my wrestling was my job. While I was a NCAA scholar-athelete I even made it on the Dean's List which I mention on my resume!

I just got CNPR certified through NAPSR even though an older friend of mine told me it was useless. But the first and only company I have heard back from on my applications asked me if I was certified and I was cut from the interview candidates because I wasn't. I studied for two days and passed the exam.

Basically my question is how do I get my foot in the door? Anywhere! I live in Columbia, SC and have applied to all the entry-level pharma sales jobs I can find here. I have emailed staffing companies and recruiters to help me. I've even recently started applying to entry-level jobs in TX, AL, and others. The majority of applications I have filled out are online because I don't know where to go to find a pharmaceutical company that I can just walk into and ask for an application face to face. I'm reaching the end of my rope and I am about to join the military because I have very few options because of my lack of job experience.

Any help would be much apprecieated, Thanks

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Goldhcrx in Teaneck, New Jersey

41 months ago

Please Contact me at akhan1153@gmail.com. We are a Specialty Pharmacy in New Jersey. I may have an oppurtunity for you. Email me for more Information if you are still interested

Reply - Report abuse

UFM in Fort Wayne, Indiana

38 months ago

Check this book out. Seems to be useful
payhip.com/b/2lHo

Reply - Report abuse

UFM in Fort Wayne, Indiana

38 months ago

Pharmaceutical Sales: How to Break In

payhip.com/b/2lHo

Reply - Report abuse

elvisduarte in Miami, Florida

19 months ago

There is a lot of factors you have to consider. This is a very competitive field and because of that your preparation must be to the top, starting with your resume and you will have to master the interview process. I recommend you to check this video

youtu.be/iI79i_MaS0I

It explains what to do to get into pharma without experience. This website www.howtogetintopharmaceuticalsales.com has plenty of free info to help you in every step of the process.

Reply - Report abuse

Roy Smith in Columbia, South Carolina

9 months ago

I have over 26 years of experience in pharmaceutical sales. I have worked for over 6 of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies. Additionally, I have also worked for all of the major contract pharmaceutical companies. I have also sold over 28 different drugs in many different classes of drugs during my career. And from my experience I have found that it is much easier to break into pharmaceutical sales when you have an experienced person helping you. I have also found that it is not necessary to have any kind of prior certifications in order to get a job in pharmaceutical sales. However, what I have found to be critical is that you have an understanding of the needed strategies required to build relationships with people who are already on the inside of the industry. As well as the strategies for finding available job openings, you will also need the interview skills you must utilize once you get an interview. Not to mention that you also need to know what to do and how to do it in order to be successful in the job once you secure a job in pharmaceutical sales. For example could you explain to an interviewer how to develop an effective sales presentation based on the industry standard of what a pharmaceutical sales presentation should look and sound like?
Yes, I have found that unless you have someone with many years of actual pharmaceutical sales helping you it can be very difficult to break into pharmaceutical sales. Fortunately for you I am available to help you. If you have been trying to break into this business and you just can’t seem to make any progress. Then let me help you.
There are many things you need to learn about the real world of pharmaceutical sales that will make it easier for you to begin a career in this business. Would you be interested in having me serve as your mentor? Have you visited my website? If not the website address is www.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.