55 months ago

Plumbers Union Local 690 – Philadelphia and Vicinity

iKmoxstar in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

I can do this with no experience?

Indie_One in Wichita, Kansas

55 months ago

Check out their website and study it: plumbers690 dot org

The trade unions I know of (carpenters, electrical, plumbers) put you to work immediately. You’re trained on the job and through the union’s own school. As far as I know you don't need any experience to start.

Contact the union and talk to someone.

55 months ago

Indie_One in Wichita, Kansas said: Plumbers Union Local 690 – Philadelphia and Vicinity

You might have some expenses: Union dues (small monthly fee) and supply your own basic tools. You need your own transportation.

55 months ago

Indie_One in Wichita, Kansas said: You might have some expenses: Union dues (small monthly fee) and supply your own basic tools. You need your own transportation.

You might have expenses at the union’s school as well. I’m not totally certain. I’m just thinking material-wise. I’m thinking they supply the free instruction and major tools for use. This is just off the top of my head. Someone at the union could tell you better.

55 months ago

I’m not real sure where you'd draw the line, but there are plumbers and mechanical contractors. A plumber could be a mechanical contractor, but they could also just be someone who unclogs drains and replaces pipes. Mechanical contractors might be responsible for the installation/replacement of plumbing, HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), and refrigeration systems. You might be dealing with new construction or existing conditions. And then there are “pipefitters” who potentially work at places like oil refineries or oil rigs out in the ocean. You might have a choice in the union as to which direction you want to go. Here in Wichita it’s a plumbers and pipefitters union. HVAC is a totally different ballgame.

iKmoxstar in Levittown, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

Alright so basically I can call up a company and ask for an apprenticeship without any experience.

Plumb Crazy Plumbers in Clearwater, Florida

46 months ago

iKmoxstar in Bensalem, Pennsylvania said: Alright so I would like to become a plumber. I'm not sure how to get started with no experience, I'm 18 and just recently graduated. I just really want to get started as soon as possible. I'm eager to learn the trade. Since its hands on and your not always doing the same thing this seems right for me.

Should I enter into a trade school?

Would I be able to join an apprenticeship program with no experience?

Do these programs pay you, if so how much?

Best way to get started?

As always I appreciate all help that anyone gives me.

You need to find a local company that will start you part time. And be willing to work any hours necessary. Most plumbing contractors work 24 hour emergency calls.

Andrew
Plumb Crazy Plumbers, inc.
www.plumbcrazyplumbers.com/

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.