What are typical private chef salaries?

Comments (13)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

futurefoodie

124 months ago

Hi Jen! Sounds great. What sort of training did you receive to get you into that position? Do you feel that it's more a matter of who you know or the prestige of the culinary school you graduate from?

jenbamin in Southampton, New York

124 months ago

I took a very unusual route to where I am. No culinary school, rather Psychology degree which may in fact be more useful. I started doing little private catering things for friends and such, and eventually put up a website which probably made me look more established than I actually was. Then I got a full-time private chef job through a friend, which was awful and lasted four months. Then was the chef at a Richmond, VA restaurant for *a month* before I quit. Then my big break was going to France for a year, working as a private chef at a chateau owned by a friend's parents. After getting back to the States with that on my resume I had meeting with NYC private chef agencies, and after a grueling 5 months of unemployment I got this current position. So the very long answer to your question is that in my experience it is more who you know than where you went to school. I think that the ability to be a good cook is pretty much something you are born with in terms of whether or not you have a sensitive palate. Anyone can learn technique, and I think a lot of people who go to culinary school end up being really great at sharpening knives, and that may be it. I exaggerate, but you get my meaning. Are you currently working with food?

Meredith in New York, New York

122 months ago

Jen,
very impressed. starting a private chef business myself. looking for something like what you have...but working out things freelance till then. Have also taken a circuitous route. Would love to go to France when I am done with grad school or maybe next summer - problem is I don't speak French! Although I've heard Panama has English as a second language - the markets probably aren't as good!
Best,
Meredith

jenbamin in Southampton, New York said: I took a very unusual route to where I am. No culinary school, rather Psychology degree which may in fact be more useful. I started doing little private catering things for friends and such, and eventually put up a website which probably made me look more established than I actually was. Then I got a full-time private chef job through a friend, which was awful and lasted four months. Then was the chef at a Richmond, VA restaurant for *a month* before I quit. Then my big break was going to France for a year, working as a private chef at a chateau owned by a friend's parents. After getting back to the States with that on my resume I had meeting with NYC private chef agencies, and after a grueling 5 months of unemployment I got this current position. So the very long answer to your question is that in my experience it is more who you know than where you went to school. I think that the ability to be a good cook is pretty much something you are born with in terms of whether or not you have a sensitive palate. Anyone can learn technique, and I think a lot of people who go to culinary school end up being really great at sharpening knives, and that may be it. I exaggerate, but you get my meaning. Are you currently working with food?

beebee in Toledo, Ohio

120 months ago

I love to cook. But there are no good schools in my area. All that is available is the community college that has a Culinary Program. Any suggestions?

zoegirl in Sherman Oaks, California

113 months ago

beebee in Toledo, Ohio said: I love to cook. But there are no good schools in my area. All that is available is the community college that has a Culinary Program. Any suggestions?

wow, I feel like I'm getting taken advantage of, I have been with the same family in Beverly Hills for over 2 years, and am only making 54k with a small $1,500 bonus with no insurance, it may be time to look for a new employer to work for...

jenbamin in Montauk, New York

111 months ago

zoegirl in Sherman Oaks, California said: wow, I feel like I'm getting taken advantage of, I have been with the same family in Beverly Hills for over 2 years, and am only making 54k with a small $1,500 bonus with no insurance , it may be time to look for a new employer to work for...

In Beverly Hills you ought to be making about double that. And the bonus is small. And no insurance is ridiculous. Get your resume or better yet a full portfolio together with a photo and sample menus and go to some staffing interviews and get a better gig!

John in San Rafael, California

105 months ago

zoegirl in Sherman Oaks, California said: wow, I feel like I'm getting taken advantage of, I have been with the same family in Beverly Hills for over 2 years, and am only making 54k with a small $1,500 bonus with no insurance, it may be time to look for a new employer to work for...

You are being taken advantage of - I make twice what you do and get 8% bonus every year.

jenbamin in Brooklyn, New York

105 months ago

Yeah, totally. I also was in LA briefly last week and saw a private chef friend who gets paid $6200 CASH 2x monthly - the equivalent of about $120,000/yr but no taxes.

Jgiven1 in Osseo, Minnesota

104 months ago

How do you find leads for a private chef? I have been in the restaurant and club industry for about 15 years. I'm a certified chef de cuisine through the American Culinary Federation. I live in the midwest. Are there recruiters out there for this type of positing?

cherryblossom2 in Sagaponack, New York

101 months ago

jenbamin in Brooklyn, New York said: Yeah, totally. I also was in LA briefly last week and saw a private chef friend who gets paid $6200 CASH 2x monthly - the equivalent of about $120,000/yr but no taxes.

Hi there just came upon this board - just wondering if you do the Hamptons in the summer

cherryblossom2 in Sagaponack, New York

101 months ago

Hi there -
I am a private chef working in the Hamptons for the summer just wondering about
social/nightlife here amongst the private chef population that does the summer out here

pascal Bettig in Brooklyn, New York

98 months ago

Which company do You recommend in NYC for a private Chef position?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.