Boss hiding credit card tip amounts

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Annon in Tampa, Florida

29 months ago

Hello-
I have a question that I am hoping someone will be able to answer as I have talked with several people who have been unable to help.
I work in a SMALL (50 seats) restaurant where a breakfast/lunch is no more than $12 including drinks and such.
My boss runs the register and takes care of ringing people up, and then is in charge of inputting the tips from credit cards into the machine.
After she has inputted them, she throws the slips into a large bag so we never seem them. If we ask to see the slips we get screamed at and told it is none of our business. When we cash out at the end of the day she just hand us money and says its our credit card tips for the day. A few other servers and I have noticed we have extremely similar tips (almost like our boss picks a number and thats what me make that day). We especially question it when one of us works a 7 hour shift and make $40 in credit cards and the other works a 2.5 hour shift and makes the same $40 in credit cards.

I was wondering if there is anything where she has to show us our credit card tips if we asks or just has to show us in general.

Thanks in advance for your help!

robjonesflies in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

Annon in Tampa, Florida said: Hello-
I have a question that I am hoping someone will be able to answer as I have talked with several people who have been unable to help.
I work in a SMALL (50 seats) restaurant where a breakfast/lunch is no more than $12 including drinks and such.
My boss runs the register and takes care of ringing people up, and then is in charge of inputting the tips from credit cards into the machine.
After she has inputted them, she throws the slips into a large bag so we never seem them. If we ask to see the slips we get screamed at and told it is none of our business. When we cash out at the end of the day she just hand us money and says its our credit card tips for the day. A few other servers and I have noticed we have extremely similar tips (almost like our boss picks a number and thats what me make that day). We especially question it when one of us works a 7 hour shift and make $40 in credit cards and the other works a 2.5 hour shift and makes the same $40 in credit cards.

I was wondering if there is anything where she has to show us our credit card tips if we asks or just has to show us in general.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's fairly obvious your boss is stealing from you and the other servers. The fact that she tells you it's none of your business, when in fact it's your money just confirms this. You can press the issue, but she'll probably find a reason to dismiss you very quickly. Time to start looking for a new job.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.