I can't do it anymore...

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Defeated Technician in West Warwick, Rhode Island

78 months ago

Please, anyone considering this field, learn from what I have to say. This field is a black hole. The money isn't there, the UTI commercials are a lie to get you in the door so they can profit from your student loans.

I flagged 13.7 hours last week...22.7 this week. I was there for 50 hours both weeks. I am drowning in student loan debt and tool debt. Customers are stupid blockheads who just look for the cheapest oil change deal that week and never do any needed maintenance. You go for broke. This industry is broken, you will be broken, this isn't fun like your hobby car, this is hard work, low pay and bullcrap pay systems to make your pay even lower.

I don't care how much you know or how much you love working on cars, you will be starved out at the beginning stages unless you live at home with mom and dad, no wife, no kids, and they feed you.

Don't learn the hard way like me. I doubt I can afford rent this month.

Asbestos in Acworth, Georgia

76 months ago

Defeated Technician in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: Please, anyone considering this field, learn from what I have to say. This field is a black hole. The money isn't there, the UTI commercials are a lie to get you in the door so they can profit from your student loans.

I flagged 13.7 hours last week...22.7 this week. I was there for 50 hours both weeks. I am drowning in student loan debt and tool debt. Customers are stupid blockheads who just look for the cheapest oil change deal that week and never do any needed maintenance. You go for broke. This industry is broken, you will be broken, this isn't fun like your hobby car, this is hard work, low pay and bullcrap pay systems to make your pay even lower.

I don't care how much you know or how much you love working on cars, you will be starved out at the beginning stages unless you live at home with mom and dad, no wife, no kids, and they feed you.

Don't learn the hard way like me. I doubt I can afford rent this month.

Couldnt agree more, been doing for 12 years and the only thing I have to show for it is a busted back,bad knees, and a severed tendon in my hand. Flat rate is a total joke and should be illegal. I thank god everyday thay I will never have to turn wrenches for a living again!

Kris in Escondido, California

72 months ago

Asbestos in Acworth, Georgia said: Couldnt agree more, been doing for 12 years and the only thing I have to show for it is a busted back,bad knees, and a severed tendon in my hand. Flat rate is a total joke and should be illegal. I thank god everyday thay I will never have to turn wrenches for a living again!

I have been turning wrenches since the early 80`s and couldn`t agree more. It was a good living in the beginning but as the years have gone by it has steadily gotten worse. I wish I could get into something else that has a more steady income, (this roller coaster called a paycheck sucks!).

duggancruz@gmail in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

49 months ago

Be doing for twenty two years,getting out no pay and no benefits,your body will break and you'll be flat broke in the end...GET OUT!!!

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

49 months ago

Hate to say it, but it sounds like medicine! Wrecks your body.

Jay Daniels in Dawson, Georgia

43 months ago

I have a friend who went to Nashville Auto Diesel school years ago and he was guaranteed $850+ per week at Ford for years until he quit and opened his own shop. You have to manage your money and he did it by working toward a goal of owning his own shop. Don't have a bunch of kids, wife that doesn't work, don't get too deep in debt, and try to save some money!

hint: the local area state technical colleges are a whole lot cheaper.

Defeated Technician in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: Please, anyone considering this field, learn from what I have to say. This field is a black hole. The money isn't there, the UTI commercials are a lie to get you in the door so they can profit from your student loans.

gixerkiller in Gardena, California

43 months ago

Kris in Escondido, California said: I have been turning wrenches since the early 80`s and couldn`t agree more. It was a good living in the beginning but as the years have gone by it has steadily gotten worse. I wish I could get into something else that has a more steady income, (this roller coaster called a paycheck sucks!).

You have not been keeping up on the laws have you?

In CA your employer MUST pay you double the minimum wage for every hr NOT spent working on vehicles......waiting for parts is considered to be "not working on vehicles"

Basically you are paid a flat salary with performance bonuses now. Flat rate alone IS illegal in CA.

gixerkiller in Gardena, California

43 months ago

Jay Daniels in Dawson, Georgia said: I have a friend who went to Nashville Auto Diesel school years ago and he was guaranteed $850+ per week at Ford for years until he quit and opened his own shop. You have to manage your money and he did it by working toward a goal of owning his own shop. Don't have a bunch of kids, wife that doesn't work, don't get too deep in debt, and try to save some money!

hint: the local area state technical colleges are a whole lot cheaper.

850 for a diesel mechanic is crap pay.

I used to do a grand a week minimum on motorsports vehicles.
diesel is a whole lot more......at least in CA.....with all the "green" diesel stuff and all the certs needed now.....they still pay drivers more for some reason though.....

If I had to do it again, I would have just started as a floor sweeper and worked my way up through the shops. The schools with milk you for everything. all you need for "ASE" certs is to have a shop "sponsor" you and attend the same training schools that the dealership guys do. A good mechanic learned from doing, not reading.

iamwillryder in Saint Paul, Minnesota

29 months ago

If you still want to put those tools to work but are sick and tired of flagging low hours on flat-rate than you should look to GSE Maintenance. Ground support equipment (GSE) is the support equipment and vehicles found at an airport, usually on the ramp, the servicing area by the terminal. Put another way, when you are sitting on an airplane and looking out the window, it’s everything moving around outside.
Working on GSE is no different than working on cars, trucks or heavy-equipment…the same systems, assemblies and parts however a GSE Mechanic is more likely to experience something different on a daily basis. The pay for the GSE mechanic is steady [hourly] and benefits are decent if you get on with the right company.
Most guys who get into GSE Maintenance stick with it throughout their careers. The first half of my career was turning wrenches at automotive and medium and heavy-duty truck shops and dealerships and then I transitioned to the GSE Maintenance industry and never looked back. I started out a mechanic and today I’m a Director, which is testament to the career opportunities that exist to those who are willing to work.

A female tech of 15 years in Courtenay, British Columbia

23 months ago

When i started 15 years ago I had a very different view of this job. I accept now that it's not the most interesting. But the worst part is it beats up your body and only getting 2 or 3 weeks off a year and lifting and smahing metal while standing on concrete all day destroys you. I'm 35 and tired of the boss saying I come to work sick why cant you... Sitting behind a desk is alot different. Plus the size of the vehicles now and what is expected. I'm officially done. And so many shops wonder why they cant find good mechanics... If i got paid a fair wage then I would, but I make less now than I did before and the cost of living is higher as well. Sadly this is no longer a good trade, and my body aches. And i have to worry what I do on my off time because injuries in this trade can really hinder you and make life difficult.

quit the wrench in Whittier, California

21 months ago

ive been in the industry for too long.. i want out. uti put a ding on my credit cause i couldnt pay them back. graduated 8 years ago and im at $25 an hour. but i only flag abut 50 hours a pay period. thats a low check. i make about 2 grand a month. how can you live alone in california making 2 grand a month before taxes and being single? plus the stress, tiredness, and the headache cars that drive you insane. dont think its cause im at the wrong dealership either. im at Mercedes Benz. "the best or nothing"

Beat Up Technician in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Dear Defeated Technician in West Warwick, Rhode Island, I feel ya. I feel your pain. The business can SUCK! You are definitely not alone.

Student technician in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

14 months ago

I’m only 16 yet I been in school for 3 years in a vocational high school and I really like the job and working on cars however I been working at a small garage and they paying me under the table basically and I’m making like 400 a month lol but I can do a lot cause I have the experience I been there for a year now because I been hoping to not care about the money just learn but sometimes I wonder if I should still gain more experience in the automotive world or switch to something else while I’m still young

Any thoughts?

CEE DANGEROUSLY in Muskegon, Michigan

12 months ago

Look at the rest of the comments!!!! Learn as much as you can and own your own shop.. OYEA AND THANK GOD YOUR NOT AN AFRICA. AMERICA MECHANIC LOOKING FOR WORK!!!!!! EITHER THEYLL UNDER PAY YOU OR QUESTION YOUR ABILITY+!!

Numbaonenewb in Portland, Oregon

11 months ago

I've only been doing it for 6 years. What I can say is when I started out, I was getting terrible pay, and this was by my own blood uncle.

However because I didn't go to school for it, he allowed me to learn everything he knew. It was bad pay in exchange for free education.

The only real way to make money is to own your own shop which also isn't easy. With so much competition you have to find creative ways of advertising to gain new customers.

My uncle ended up retiring at 54. He owns all paid for 6 homes and 15 cars. Now he lives in the boones and raises chickens.

wearetheromans85 in Houston, Texas

11 months ago

In response to ASE's, Ive made it to L1 master; both hands on and reading will get you far. But in the end, its not worth it. As an L1 tech, im paid $600/week take home, no more no less. We had another tech working for us who had no certifications and could not diagnosis anything complicated. He was getting around $500/week...this industry is imbalanced and employers are cheap.

11 months ago

LISTEN.. I DEARLY UNDERSTAND YOU GUYS PAIN. TRY TO SHED LIGHT ON YOUR OWN SITUATION BY LOOKING AT WHAT MICHIGAN PAYS ITS MECHANICS . IT VARYS PRE CITY.. IN MUSKEGON MICHIGAN THEY TRY TO START LICENSED COLLEGE TRAINED TECHS WITH PLENTY EXPERIENCE. IM ONE OF UM. NOT EVEN 10 MINUTES AGO I finished an interview with Preferred Chrysler, the MANAGER TRYED TO OFFER ME 10 TO 15 BUCKS COMMISSION TO DO COLLISION REPAIR!!!!!!!! SMH. GOT DAM SHAME. MY WIFE WORKS FOR SHAPE AT 16 AN HOUR WEEKLY PAY, OWN CARS AND THE HALF OF THIS HOUSE WE'RE BUYING.. IM ALWAYS BORROWING FROM HER TO KEEP GAS MONEY TO MAKE TIL NEXT PAY DAY..ITS RIDICULOUS UP HERE. NOW I SEE WHY MOST MECHANICS ARE EITHER DRINKERS, ABUSERS, ANTI SOCIAL, ANGRY ALL THE TIME, ALWAYS PISSED, RUDE, Lack of appreciation creates all kind of mental issues daily because of low wages

11 months ago

the best place to be any kind of mechanic. IS FOR THE CITY.. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OR OFFICERS CARS..

soxtroy in Plano, Texas

10 months ago

Don't like automotive technician pay? Try teaching school. I would bet that teachers don't even make minimum wage if all the hours they work at home are included. Plus all the crap they put up with from the state. Most have masters degrees too. Teachers must have a true calling to teach and do a good job for very little pay or reward. Most teachers with a masters degree don't make as much as an auto tech who has little to no higher education. Plus when the day ends at the shop most auto techs go home and forget it until the next morning. Not a teacher. We choose what we want to do with our lives and careers. Some of us may have a calling to help people. Some of us that happens through helping them with their car problems. Some of us have "service" in our company name and take great pride in our service to our customers no matter what the pay is. Most of us do pretty good. some of us may just need to realize it.

Defeated Technician in Warwick, Rhode Island

10 months ago

I posted this over 5 years ago, almost 6. It held true until I finally had enough and changed careers. Best decision I made. I hope all aspiring techs find a different path in life too.

Big B in Fayetteville, North Carolina

10 months ago

So what carrer are you in now?

Larry Bloodworth in Salt Lake City, Utah

10 months ago

Here’s a post I made on our trade organization’s forum just yesterday...
======================================================
Off and on from 1999 to 2011, our shop had a booth at various technical colleges’ career fairs. We hired several students to train as R&R techs with the hopes of moving them up to rebuilding. We didn’t have a very good experience with ITT Technical College in SLC nor WyoTech College in Laramie, Wyoming. The best employee we ever hired out of a technical college came from Salt Lake Community College. Both ITT and WyoTech are for-profit colleges. WyoTech is part of the Corinthian College system.

Around 2014 or so, both ITT and WyoTech filed for bankruptcy and eventually went out of business, but I didn’t really understand why until now. The story of why these colleges failed is the subject of a half-hour documentary on PBS’s Frontline. Before you decide to get involved with a for-profit college, I would like to suggest to watch the short documentary,

Larry Bloodworth in Salt Lake City, Utah

10 months ago

[Previous Post Continued]... A Subprime Education, online at www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/a-subprime-education/

It will also make sense why our federal government has also instituted a “student loan forgiveness” program to help students who can’t find a job in the field they were allegedly educated in. Sad, sad, sad.

offroadsocal in austin, Texas

10 months ago

i have been doing this for 12 years and its a complete joke my body herts every day. just dont know what to do next to get out of this hell!

TechLife

9 months ago

Big B in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: So what carrer are you in now?

If you are interested in getting out of flat rate in the Charlotte area MobilityWorks is hiring a technician. They actually pay well and are a consistent rate company with benefits and PTO.

Jesse longisland ny

9 months ago

Iv been in this for 4 years now, 2 years during college (associates in automotive service, "applied science") and 2 years full time. Iv been hourly at a low rate of pay untill about 2 months ago , now im flat rate at 25/hr. This by far is the most thankless job iv ever had, and i work for a cadillac dealership, all 8 ASEs, andva degree. If you work at a dealership especially flatrate, get out seriously, you have to kill yourself every day just to make 8 hours a day, and thats if you get handed good work. The cars are getting harder and harder to fix, and at 22 years old, my bodys already in pain seriously. Oh, and if you fuckup at all, your fired. Id never buy a house or even rent an APT living of this flat rate joke. Rant over

mechanicswife in Raleigh, North Carolina

9 months ago

Defeated Technician in Warwick, Rhode Island said: I posted this over 5 years ago, almost 6. It held true until I finally had enough and changed careers. Best decision I made. I hope all aspiring techs find a different path in life too.

What field are you in now? My husband has been turning wrenches for 23 years and has had more surgeries than I can keep up with. He's in chronic pain and about to have another back surgery. He is very skilled and enjoys the work but won't be able to do it much longer. We are trying to figure out what he can do next.

No Longer Defeated in West Warwick, Rhode Island

9 months ago

I am now a store manager for one of the national auto part stores.

Danno in Tampa, Florida

9 months ago

I’ve worked in this dead end field for 20 years now. I’m 40 years old and I make (when I earn only my minimum) $50 a week more than I did when I started.... this industry is totally pathetic. The more experienced you are and the smarter you become, the more you get screwed. Your best bet is to go through your career not learning anything but how to do brakes and suspension work. The gravy jobs. If you become a diagnostic tech, you’ll get screwed because first of all, customers don’t want to pay $100/hr for someone to figure out what’s really wrong with their car, and shops won’t charge customers the proper time because they can’t justify it. I’ve hesrd it a million times. “I can’t charge the customer 5 hours time for a broken wire..” everyone would rather throw parts at a car until it’s miraculously fixed. It’s only getting worse too...
I’ve had 3 jobs in 20 years. All independent shops. They’ve all been the same. Greedy, money hungry owners ripping off their employees. I’ve watched about 5 guys in their 50’s forced into retirement because their bodies are broken. I’ve seen guys in their 70’s unable to retire because there’s no money to be made in this industry, and it’s unheard of to have a 401k. They’re literally working until they die because, well, who can afford to retire when you make 36k/yr with no hope for advancement???
I’m 40 years old, I’m a single father and I have bills. I have to keep food on the table and keep a roof over my son’s head. I’ve worked for the same jackass for the last 8 years, and every year my pay has gone down. Meanwhile, I watch my boss buy $100k hot rods and

Danno in Tampa, Florida

9 months ago

$500 baseball bats for his kids, not to mention tons of other things, meanwhile all his employees are starving. I’m the only one at the shop that is living on a single income, everyone else is relying on a spouses income. I’m single. And I get paid jack.
Anyways, I could go on forever on why this career is a dead end, but finally this year I’d had enough. Tomorrow it last day in this god awful industry. I got hired as a claims adjuster for an extended warranty company, they started me at MORE than I was making as a tech, and full benefits, plus a 401k. I am very blessed for having this opportunity. If you’re a tech and your life sucks, get out now. If you can, try to get in with an insurance company. If you’ve got experience, they’ll overlook your lack of a college degree... this place did. Best of luck to all you pissed off and underpaid techs. I know how it is...

Danno in Tampa, Florida

9 months ago

mechanicswife in Raleigh, North Carolina said: What field are you in now? My husband has been turning wrenches for 23 years and has had more surgeries than I can keep up with. He's in chronic pain and about to have another back surgery. He is very skilled and enjoys the work but won't be able to do it much longer. We are trying to figure out what he can do next.

Mechanicswife, tell your husband to check out some insurance companies. Tell him to try to get into claims adjusting. I got into a place that’s all in house, no driving around even required. I will be at a desk in the AC all day long, making way more than I ever did as a tech. There’s a few companies that are willing to train former mechanics, because they’re more valuable than some idiot with a college degree and zero experience with cars. Your husband has been doing this a few years more than I have, so he would be valuable to an insurance company on the repair end of claims adjusting. Just a though... best of luck to you, I know how awful being a tech is....

Jesse longisland ny in Farmingville, New York

8 months ago

Also a technician and same exact experience, get out

Jesse longisland ny in Farmingville, New York

8 months ago

Iv been at a cadillac dealership for 4 years now, just got switched from hourly to flat rate. Im 22 years old, every older guy in my shop says get out. Non of the warrentee jobs pay anything, and im literally working non stop day after day staying late coming in early just to cut 35-40 hours of work a week. Broken industry , flat rate just needs to die. It doesent work anymore its too easy to tamper with (changing labor times). Complete scam

Nick in Clinton, Maryland

8 months ago

This is to everyone that is even looking into being a mechanic in automotive. This is a vary big broken Industry. Ive gone from being a oil changer to a manager of a shop back to being a Class A tech. 12 years of doing this. The pay is vary unstable because you rely on jobs being sold to make hrs to turn a wrench just to make a 9% of what the shop charges a customer to repair the car you would be working on. Just think. A car comes in for a leaking rack and pinion. ticket priced at 1000$. You get payed maybe 4 hrs at lets use 20 a flat rate. 80 from that one car. The rest is the shops pay. The parts gets a 2x to 3x the mark up. Also the labor rate that shops are charging is a total scam. So please to any new person wanting to do this for a living truly think about it. Tool prices are sky rocking. The quality is not even there any more. I wish some one stopped me from doing this years ago and pushed me into doing something else. I will be continuing to look out of this broken and heart breaking industry as it has even costed me a marriage because of the long hrs I've had to put into work then being home with my family. I pray for everyone that something better comes to them and gets these good people out of this carrier field.

GoMobileNola in New Orleans, Louisiana

8 months ago

To clarify, pay is $17 - $20/ TRUE hour. You put in 40 hours you will get paid 40 hours.

GoMobileNola in New Orleans, Louisiana

8 months ago

My marriage has suffered too, I have missed alot of my kids growing up from having to work my regular job and do my side jobs to make ends meet. Thats why we don't pay our techs flat rate at my shop. Its not easy to be able to guarantee pay when the shop is guaranteed to bring it in -- over head is outrageous to run a shop -- I own a small shop in New Orleans - average about 15k a month in sales 20% of that is parts 10k is overhead including rent, utilities, insurance, employees. Doesn't leave much for me to bring home plus put into the business for growth and emergencies. Its hard for all of us to make it......wether your the tech or the shop owner....everyone is just trying to have a decent living without working just to live. We are trying hard to give our techs a decent work/life balance.

8 months ago

I make better than 20.00 an hour running a parts store. That should tell you something when you are offering 17 to 20.00 an hour for a skilled technician.

Bill in Mchenry, Illinois

7 months ago

I am a starving GM certified tech who takes the stress of his job home everyday day. Cant move out on his own. When my mind has any time to wander it can only focus on the stress of the job. When I go home by no means is the job left at the shop. Even if I'm not turning a wrench the stress is making me insane. Do not become a mechanic especially for dealerships.

The wrench in Aurora, Colorado

7 months ago

I have been in the industry for 13 years. I am master certified and have a decent house sized investment in tools and equipment. I have made money in this industry (100k-ish/ yr) but I have to say that even at that price tag it’s not worth it. The damage to my body, 80+ hr work weeks and MASSIVE expense in tooling makes this a loosing industry. What started as a hobby and something I was passionate about had turned into something I dread. Not to mention the stigma you will have to overcome taking this route. All mechanics/technicians are thieves and degenerates right? I am educated, compassionate and honest. Yet I still am classified as a lesser person because of my carrer choice. Apply yourself in something else where you will be respected, appreciated and compensated fairly.

DualSportDad in Ft. Myers, Florida

7 months ago

I couldn't agree more with what everyone has said. This industry has gotten horrible. I work for a Chrysler dealership that couldn't care less how many hours their techs turn, their main goal is getting good surveys in order to get dealership bonuses. They hire in kids and pay them half what the skilled techs make and have them do all the customer pay work and when they screw up the car they expect the skilled techs to fix them. Keep in mind only warranty repairs get surveys so they don't care if the customer pay jobs get fixed right since the warranty surveys are what the dealership bonuses are paid on. In the meantime if a unskilled tech doesn't fix a customer pay job correctly they expect the customer to continue to pay for the repairs. Also the dealership expects the skilled techs to pay for their comebacks if they get a claim kicked and it's expected to fix the car for free regardless of the dealership is reimbursed.

Trust me, stay clear of this industry as a whole!

ChayD in London, United Kingdom

7 months ago

I don't work in the car repair business, but I do maintain a bunch of hoopties for family and friends on the weekend and I can easily sympathise about how much it wears you out, even just working on cars at an enthusiast level for a few hours each weekend results in busted knuckles, cuts and bruises and aches in places where most people don't even have places! I wouldn't want to be doing that full time, big props to all you mechanics out there who put up with this for a living!

Interceptor0991 in Clementon, New Jersey

7 months ago

I think this field is great for certain individuals. Many factors weigh in on whether this is the industry for you financially.I love it because of a few reasons. If you have any of these in common then it will probably work out for you.

1. I have no kids so I avoided a massive financial obligation.

2. I can't stand dealing with people on a customer service level. Service writers just tell me what job is being done and I'm just left alone to work with my hands and I'm happy as can be to make a living that way.

3. I live in a busy area. So customers really aren't an issue. If you live in the middle of nowhere or a very small rural town, yeah it can be hard.

4. The skill to work on my own vehicle and save $

* Important to note - some places are moving away from flatrate. Research shops and dealers around because you do have options*

As far as breaking down your body, it's going to happen with so many jobs over time. Construction workers, masons, factory workers, hell I've known a chef who has had knee surgeries because of the long 12+ hour days he has worked for over 15-20 years. My stepfather is a journeyman lineman and has horrible ankle/knee pain. It's life. Stay active at the gym to keep your body as healthy and strong as possible. Lift things smart at work. If your concerned about that, you need to get involved in something that is far from physical labor.

Bottom line, it pays well enough for me to be very comfortable. Owning a house, paying all bills, investing into retirement. If your someone who has children, a single parent, lots of debt, yeah at that point it's just like working any other job - financially speaking. People I've worked with who talk negatively about the industry were all in those categories.

jpappi in Phoenix, Arizona

7 months ago

Hey guys,

Also been in the auto industry with Ford for almost 4 years, started in QL got bumped up to an advisor and just got offered a mainshop spot as $18/hour flat rate. After reading this i will not be accepting lmao i also got offered an hvac/appliances tech spot today too with base + comm only supply own basic hand tools. Get out of the industry, having some tech and advisor experience the industry is thankless and cold and worked like a dog for little pay. I would half the time have to surrender my day off and work mon-sat just to make ends meet and fight customers and management every day. Its dog eat dog, the grass is greener on the other side, now will be getting paid more and work a normal 8-5 mon-fri job like the long lost american dream. Put those tech skills to use in a different field, other employers will appreciate your skills on your resume and on the job.

Chris in Surrey, British Columbia

6 months ago

quit the wrench in Whittier, California said: ive been in the industry for too long.. i want out. uti put a ding on my credit cause i couldnt pay them back. graduated 8 years ago and im at $25 an hour. but i only flag abut 50 hours a pay period. thats a low check. i make about 2 grand a month. how can you live alone in california making 2 grand a month before taxes and being single? plus the stress, tiredness, and the headache cars that drive you insane. dont think its cause im at the wrong dealership either. im at Mercedes Benz. "the best or nothing"
I would say Mercedes-Benz is your problem, absolutely the worst type of car to work on. Why don't you work for Honda.

Chris in Surrey, British Columbia

6 months ago

Bill in Mchenry, Illinois said: I am a starving GM certified tech who takes the stress of his job home everyday day. Cant move out on his own. When my mind has any time to wander it can only focus on the stress of the job. When I go home by no means is the job left at the shop. Even if I'm not turning a wrench the stress is making me insane. Do not become a mechanic especially for dealerships.

I agree 100% and I'm worn out, stressed, and often dream about how I can fix the issue when I should be sleeping. I have just excepted that this is the way it is. Mind you the money for me is good. I made $95,000 last year so this is why I still do this.

Pb0monte

6 months ago

iamwillryder in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: If you still want to put those tools to work but are sick and tired of flagging low hours on flat-rate than you should look to GSE Maintenance. Ground support equipment (GSE) is the support equipment and vehicles found at an airport , usually on the ramp, the servicing area by the terminal. Put another way, when you are sitting on an airplane and looking out the window, it’s everything moving around outside.
Working on GSE is no different than working on cars, trucks or heavy-equipment…the same systems, assemblies and parts however a GSE Mechanic is more likely to experience something different on a daily basis. The pay for the GSE mechanic is steady [hourly] and benefits are decent if you get on with the right company.
Most guys who get into GSE Maintenance stick with it throughout their careers. The first half of my career was turning wrenches at automotive and medium and heavy-duty truck shops and dealerships and then I transitioned to the GSE Maintenance industry and never looked back. I started out a mechanic and today I’m a Director , which is testament to the career opportunities that exist to those who are willing to work.

Thank you. Been interested, hard worker and life treats me well.I think this will be good for me

Pb0monte

6 months ago

Interceptor0991 in Clementon, New Jersey said: I think this field is great for certain individuals. Many factors weigh in on whether this is the industry for you financially.I love it because of a few reasons. If you have any of these in common then it will probably work out for you.

1. I have no kids so I avoided a massive financial obligation.

2. I can't stand dealing with people on a customer service level. Service writers just tell me what job is being done and I'm just left alone to work with my hands and I'm happy as can be to make a living that way.

3. I live in a busy area. So customers really aren't an issue. If you live in the middle of nowhere or a very small rural town, yeah it can be hard.

4. The skill to work on my own vehicle and save $

* Important to note - some places are moving away from flatrate. Research shops and dealers around because you do have options*

As far as breaking down your body, it's going to happen with so many jobs over time. Construction workers, masons, factory workers, hell I've known a chef who has had knee surgeries because of the long 12+ hour days he has worked for over 15-20 years. My stepfather is a journeyman lineman and has horrible ankle/knee pain. It's life. Stay active at the gym to keep your body as healthy and strong as possible. Lift things smart at work. If your concerned about that, you need to get involved in something that is far from physical labor .

Bottom line, it pays well enough for me to be very comfortable. Owning a house, paying all bills, investing into retirement. If your someone who has children , a single parent, lots of debt, yeah at that point it's just like working any other job - financially speaking. People I've worked with who talk negatively about the industry were all in those categories.

Thank you very much for your post. I was worried about all the complaints. Life treats me well and usually I make things work out well. appreciate the advice

6 months ago

LOL - Multiple complaints and one guy defending the field and you don't sit there and ask yourself which scenario is more likely. Enjoy the crap show you are about to be a member of.

nick1 in Michigan

6 months ago

quit the wrench in Whittier, California said: ive been in the industry for too long.. i want out. uti put a ding on my credit cause i couldnt pay them back. graduated 8 years ago and im at $25 an hour. but i only flag abut 50 hours a pay period. thats a low check. i make about 2 grand a month. how can you live alone in california making 2 grand a month before taxes and being single? plus the stress, tiredness, and the headache cars that drive you insane. dont think its cause im at the wrong dealership either. im at Mercedes Benz. "the best or nothing"

Ohh boo 25 an hour crybaby! You thank god everyday that at least you get a f*** chance to do the work and list as a job title on paper. I could live that easy. How about you try and never have a chance above poverty? Stop crying and open your own business than.

nick1 in Michigan

6 months ago

wearetheromans85 in Houston, Texas said: In response to ASE's, Ive made it to L1 master; both hands on and reading will get you far. But in the end, its not worth it. As an L1 tech, im paid $600/week take home, no more no less. We had another tech working for us who had no certifications and could not diagnosis anything complicated. He was getting around $500/week...this industry is imbalanced and employers are cheap.

You obviously have no idea what worth it means. Poor baby gets a chance to be rich. And have a title on paper. Try living with no chance for anything when everybody else including you get chances but me. Thank god everyday you get your chance.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.