career and resume

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Chuck in Houston, Texas

112 months ago

Hi, I just moved to Houston from Michigan not too long ago to try to find a real career. I had been waiting tables and bartending for six years while getting my degree in business, I moved because I felt that a change was needed or else I would get stuck just being a waiter with a college degree. I applied to many companies but with very little on my resume besides a degree I found it difficult to get my foot in the door. I've been in Houston for just over two months now and got a job as a retail banker(really just a fancy name for bank teller). I was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether or not this job makes me more marketable to employers and what type of career paths a bank teller could lead to. I have no idea what I want to do, but I do know that I would like to work in a corporate environment and make a salary of what I am worth. I would like to start looking for jobs again within the next year after having more experience as a teller since employers like to see longevity. Please help me with any advice you guys may have.

Danilo Bill in Chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

Chuck in Houston, Texas said: Hi, I just moved to Houston from Michigan not too long ago to try to find a real career. I had been waiting tables and bartending for six years while getting my degree in business, I moved because I felt that a change was needed or else I would get stuck just being a waiter with a college degree. I applied to many companies but with very little on my resume besides a degree I found it difficult to get my foot in the door. I've been in Houston for just over two months now and got a job as a retail banker(really just a fancy name for bank teller). I was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether or not this job makes me more marketable to employers and what type of career paths a bank teller could lead to. I have no idea what I want to do, but I do know that I would like to work in a corporate environment and make a salary of what I am worth. I would like to start looking for jobs again within the next year after having more experience as a teller since employers like to see longevity. Please help me with any advice you guys may have.

Its been over 2 years. Have you moved up? I am in the same boat. Just starting as a teller.

Chuck in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

I've moved onto a better paying job at a different bank.......it is better.....my advice is stick it out until you find something better.....you will eventually......I'm still trying to move up to some sort of corporate environment though

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.