Nevada State Corrections

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

viking82 in Salem, Massachusetts

89 months ago

Hey . Pm me . I wanted to ask you few questions regarding the academy life.
Thank you

PEDRO in North Las Vegas, Nevada

89 months ago

Hey Pedro..im in the academy from 01-09-12. Its not too bad, just prepare yourself physically..there is PT at lease once a week. But yeah im excited...we are almost half way through. And ours is 6 weeks, your March one will be 8 weeks, and will have over 100 recruits. In our current academy there are like 68 recruits. Oh and the training staff is the best. Im giving you this info as anonymous because well...you will find out why in the academy. Anywho...good luck.

Cool bro thank you and god bless. You got me wondering about what you said please e-mail. Me ASAP elizaldepedro@sbcglobal.net thank a lot

MakoMike in Henderson, Nevada

89 months ago

So....how is the academy going?
Any insight?

Brian in North Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

Hello everyone, anyone taking the exam feb. 15th in Ely? I applied last week and got an email back. I heard from a news clip that they are hiring 2400 staff in NDOC. I don't know how many officers.

88 months ago

Hello everyone, anyone taking the exam feb. 15th in Ely? I applied last week and got an email back. I heard from a news clip that they are hiring 2400 staff in NDOC. I don't know how many officers they are hiring tho.

88 months ago

I just received an email with the PHQ packet attached. Were suppose to turn everything in when we get there. I'm assuming they want to hurry the process up.

88 months ago

88 months ago

MakoMike in Henderson, Nevada said: www.kunr.org/news/200-open-positions-at-nevada-department-of-corrections-reveals-job-difficult-to-fill
125 out of 1000 pass the process.

I do not see why so many people do not make it. Then they say that it's hard to staff some prisons. Are they picky? I know Las Vegas Metro is picky as were even a ticket in the last 2 years will dq you. The only thing I can prepare for is the physical and the interview. I can't change my past or change the psychological part of the test. Good luck to anyone who is testing in the near future.

delhi_kid in Irvine, California

88 months ago

MakoMike in Henderson, Nevada said: www.kunr.org/news/200-open-positions-at-nevada-department-of-corrections-reveals-job-difficult-to-fill
125 out of 1000 pass the process.

I went to see the psychologist for a 2nd evaluation, and walked me to a second room where there must have been a hundred boxes full of applications... He told me that the boxes were ful of 2011 applicants, and majority did not make the cut... Sad but true... I passed my 2nd psych eval... The Dr. told me that applicants that have a higher education are taught to think logically and tend to read too much into the questions that are asked on the psych evaluation... Over all I feel you brother...

Anonymous in Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

Look bro's. I'm in the NDOC academy right now. I graduate in a few days. The issue is the pay. It looks good on paper but by the time they take out PERS (retirement) which is mandatory, your check is basically a joke. So hence the reason why they have issues keeping people on board. Dude the job is great, but the dangers don't compensate for the crappy pay we get. That is why they have issues with retention. Also this is a statistic they gave us...last year 2011, they hired 200 CO's, and they lost about 197...so retention is horrible, but I love my job and it will get better!!

88 months ago

Anonymous in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Look bro's. I'm in the NDOC academy right now. I graduate in a few days. The issue is the pay. It looks good on paper but by the time they take out PERS (retirement) which is mandatory, your check is basically a joke. So hence the reason why they have issues keeping people on board. Dude the job is great, but the dangers don't compensate for the crappy pay we get. That is why they have issues with retention. Also this is a statistic they gave us...last year 2011, they hired 200 CO's, and they lost about 197...so retention is horrible, but I love my job and it will get better!!

You think you can email me. I just have a few question regarding the process. barrerabrian27@hotmail.com. Thanks if you do

88 months ago

Anonymous in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Look bro's. I'm in the NDOC academy right now. I graduate in a few days. The issue is the pay. It looks good on paper but by the time they take out PERS (retirement) which is mandatory, your check is basically a joke. So hence the reason why they have issues keeping people on board. Dude the job is great, but the dangers don't compensate for the crappy pay we get. That is why they have issues with retention. Also this is a statistic they gave us...last year 2011, they hired 200 CO's, and they lost about 197...so retention is horrible, but I love my job and it will get better!!

You think you can email me. I just have a few question regarding the process. barrerabrian27@hotmail.com. Thanks if you do

viking82 in Salem, Massachusetts

88 months ago

Anyone that is finishing up academy for NDOC please PM me at PRAETORIAN81@AOL.COM. I have few questions to ask you guys.

THANK YOU

CO in Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

viking82 in Salem, Massachusetts said: Anyone that is finishing up academy for NDOC please PM me at PRAETORIAN81@AOL.COM. I have few questions to ask you guys.

THANK YOU

If you have a job stay there. Not worth moving across the country for the pay you're going to get. Wait until things turn around. If that ever happens.

PEDRO in Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

Brian in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hello everyone, anyone taking the exam feb. 15th in Ely? I applied last week and got an email back. I heard from a news clip that they are hiring 2400 staff in NDOC. I don't know how many officers.

Got the job academy will be march 5,2012 they said a lot of homework and a lot of pt please let me know about the homework part?

Brian in Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

PEDRO in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Got the job academy will be march 5,2012 they said a lot of homework and a lot of pt please let me know about the homework part?

What prison you going to? I just passed everything yesterday. She told us they are trying to speed up the process so we should know by next week if we got in. She said you got the job as long as everything comes back good. She mentioned we would have a 5 day training at the end of march and then an academy in either late may or june. Until they get more people.

viking82 in Danvers, Massachusetts

88 months ago

CO in Las Vegas, Nevada said: If you have a job stay there. Not worth moving across the country for the pay you're going to get. Wait until things turn around. If that ever happens.

Can you Pm me please. I want to ask you coupple questions regarding the pay?

CO in Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

viking82 in Danvers, Massachusetts said: Can you Pm me please. I want to ask you coupple questions regarding the pay?

20% of EACH check is taken out for retirement. If you want an HMO insurance plan it is $115 a month. That goes us if you have a family. For example a person who has their spouse and child on the plan will pay about $300. There have been no merit raises (5%) for the past three years. You will be taking home under $1000 every two weeks. OT is not always a guarantee. They are hiring people all the time but if I were you I would take a test is Mass or NYS when they give a test. I know that a lot of states have freezes going on. If I were you I would not move out here for this job. It might get better but no one can say when that is going to be. I'm just telling you how it is before you decide to move across the country for a salary you're reading on the state website that is not the same as it looks.

88 months ago

CO in Las Vegas, Nevada said: 20% of EACH check is taken out for retirement. If you want an HMO insurance plan it is $115 a month. That goes us if you have a family. For example a person who has their spouse and child on the plan will pay about $300. There have been no merit raises (5%) for the past three years. You will be taking home under $1000 every two weeks. OT is not always a guarantee. They are hiring people all the time but if I were you I would take a test is Mass or NYS when they give a test. I know that a lot of states have freezes going on. If I were you I would not move out here for this job. It might get better but no one can say when that is going to be. I'm just telling you how it is before you decide to move across the country for a salary you're reading on the state website that is not the same as it looks.

So if I apply to work in Nevada only what r the Nevada correctional facilities locations? Which correctional facility will you be working at when you graduate will they tell you where you be station at or at the end?

88 months ago

CO in Las Vegas, Nevada said: 20% of EACH check is taken out for retirement. If you want an HMO insurance plan it is $115 a month. That goes us if you have a family. For example a person who has their spouse and child on the plan will pay about $300. There have been no merit raises (5%) for the past three years. You will be taking home under $1000 every two weeks. OT is not always a guarantee. They are hiring people all the time but if I were you I would take a test is Mass or NYS when they give a test. I know that a lot of states have freezes going on. If I were you I would not move out here for this job. It might get better but no one can say when that is going to be. I'm just telling you how it is before you decide to move across the country for a salary you're reading on the state website that is not the same as it looks.

So if I apply to work in Nevada only what r the Nevada correctional facilities locations? Which correctional facility will you be working at when you graduate will they tell you where you be station at or at the end?

Pedro in North Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

what's up

CO in Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

PEDRO in Las Vegas, Nevada said: So if I apply to work in Nevada only what r the Nevada correctional facilities locations? Which correctional facility will you be working at when you graduate will they tell you where you be station at or at the end?

It depends where you applied. If you applied for Las Vegas you'll work in Indian Springs. If you applied to Ely you'll go up there. If you have a family that you're putting on your insurance be prepared to pay about $350 a month and another $300 for your retirement. Not a good time to work for the state.

spanky in Vallejo, California

88 months ago

CO in Las Vegas, Nevada said: It depends where you applied. If you applied for Las Vegas you'll work in Indian Springs. If you applied to Ely you'll go up there. If you have a family that you're putting on your insurance be prepared to pay about $350 a month and another $300 for your retirement. Not a good time to work for the state.

Is there any overtime? Are you clearing atleast $900.00 every two weeks?

CO in Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

spanky in Vallejo, California said: Is there any overtime? Are you clearing atleast $900.00 every two weeks?

There's not a lot of OT. Which causes problems between officers. They try to freeze the new guys so they don't have to pay as much while senior officers are trying to volunteer for the OT. There's not as much OT as there was a couple years ago. If you get the HMO insurance you'll barely clear $900 a paycheck without OT. There's also no saying when the raises will come back. "By law" the state can't freeze the raises for 4 years in a row BUT they could bring it back for a year a freeze it again. The state does what they want. If you have a job think twice before you come out here. A lot of people think they'll be able to transfer to other departments after working here but that's not the case either. Every department is having budget cuts. The turnover is high but you can't rely on OT. The Gov does not want a lot of people working OT.

88 months ago

CO in Las Vegas, Nevada said: There's not a lot of OT. Which causes problems between officers. They try to freeze the new guys so they don't have to pay as much while senior officers are trying to volunteer for the OT. There's not as much OT as there was a couple years ago. If you get the HMO insurance you'll barely clear $900 a paycheck without OT. There's also no saying when the raises will come back. "By law" the state can't freeze the raises for 4 years in a row BUT they could bring it back for a year a freeze it again. The state does what they want. If you have a job think twice before you come out here. A lot of people think they'll be able to transfer to other departments after working here but that's not the case either. Every department is having budget cuts. The turnover is high but you can't rely on OT. The Gov does not want a lot of people working OT.

I completed and passed my medical for Nevada 3 weeks ago but i'm gonna keep my options open. I'm cleared with the state of Oregon and have an interview and tour with them this coming thursday so lets see how things pan out.

88 months ago

Nice ceremony i found on youtube.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Ln5Z3_S-U

Anoymous in Las Vegas, Nevada

87 months ago

Pedro give me your email please have some questions... Thanks....

Pedro in North Las Vegas, Nevada

87 months ago

Anoymous in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Pedro give me your email please have some questions... Thanks....

sure thing elizaldepedro@sbcglobal.net

Viking82 in Salem, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Let me just make sure that i understand all of this. No annual raises and do they move you to a CORRECTIONAL OFFICER position after a year from trainee position?

Sean- in Anaheim, California

87 months ago

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone was signed up for the Physical ability exam on July 24, 2012 for NDOC (Indian Springs)? I came across the forum and it seems like there are a lot of great people with good information regarding the hiring process. Hope to hear more about everyone's experiences...

87 months ago

Sean- in Anaheim, California said: I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone was signed up for the Physical ability exam on July 24, 2012 for NDOC (Indian Springs)? I came across the forum and it seems like there are a lot of great people with good information regarding the hiring process. Hope to hear more about everyone's experiences...

I just completed/cleared the whole process and now waiting for an academy assignment. If you have any questions regarding the process, i'd be more than willing to answer them if i can.

Jets24 in York, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Sean- in Anaheim, California said: I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone was signed up for the Physical ability exam on July 24, 2012 for NDOC (Indian Springs)? I came across the forum and it seems like there are a lot of great people with good information regarding the hiring process. Hope to hear more about everyone's experiences...

Hey sean, I'm also scheduled for the July 24th testing. Will be my first time in NV!

Joe in Boonton, New Jersey

87 months ago

Viking82 in Salem, Massachusetts said: Let me just make sure that i understand all of this. No annual raises and do they move you to a CORRECTIONAL OFFICER position after a year from trainee position?

fyi....CT DOC is posting their next test for CO this Monday. Better department to work for and you don't have to move across the country for sh*t pay. Might be worth looking in to. Not sure when the next academy will be but it's better than moving out to NV.

87 months ago

spanky in Vallejo, California said: I just completed/cleared the whole process and now waiting for an academy assignment. If you have any questions regarding the process, i'd be more than willing to answer them if i can.

Thanks for replying spanky. Would it be possible to get your email address? I would love to hear about your personal experience with the process and get a heads up for what to expect.

87 months ago

Jets24 in York, Pennsylvania said: Hey sean, I'm also scheduled for the July 24th testing. Will be my first time in NV!

Jets24-

Awesome man! Hope to see ya out there! If you want to email me, mxbartle417@live.com

87 months ago

Sean- in Anaheim, California said: Thanks for replying spanky. Would it be possible to get your email address? I would love to hear about your personal experience with the process and get a heads up for what to expect.

I just sent you an email.

mustangfan in Las Vegas, Nevada

86 months ago

I just found out I will be starting the academy soon and was wondering if anybody who recently went through the academy had any advice. Also I heard there are exams involved, are they very difficult? Is there a final physical fitness test after the academy? Does everyone usually pass the academy? Just getting a little nervous and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also anybody currently working as a C.O. in Nevada, how do you like it? I know about the 20% retirement deduction already but how is it actually working at the facilities, is it crazy, dangerous, calm, organized, safe? Any info to put my mind more at ease would be a huge help for me. Thanks.

86 months ago

Hey Spanky---how have you been?

Anoymous in Las Vegas, Nevada

86 months ago

mustangfan in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I just found out I will be starting the academy soon and was wondering if anybody who recently went through the academy had any advice. Also I heard there are exams involved, are they very difficult? Is there a final physical fitness test after the academy? Does everyone usually pass the academy? Just getting a little nervous and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also anybody currently working as a C.O. in Nevada, how do you like it? I know about the 20% retirement deduction already but how is it actually working at the facilities, is it crazy, dangerous, calm, organized, safe? Any info to put my mind more at ease would be a huge help for me. Thanks.

Hey mustangfan congrats on the academy. Which one is it? June? When did you finish the medical? Thanks...

mustangfan in Las Vegas, Nevada

86 months ago

Anoymous in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hey mustangfan congrats on the academy. Which one is it? June? When did you finish the medical? Thanks...

Thanks, yes its for the june academy. I completed the medical at the end of february, I think the paperwork takes a while to be processed though so don't get discouraged if its been awhile, the process is just very long.

DevilDog in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

I go July 26th for my PT and etc. I keep hearing negative things about pay, benefits, but not sure what to make of it all. I went through Metro a few times and was burnt from them, because I passed everything, but always towards the end they freeze freeze freeze. Have you been practing the Agility Test? Email me sighting101@yahoo.com

Glad I'm Out in Windsor Locks, Connecticut

85 months ago

DevilDog in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I go July 26th for my PT and etc. I keep hearing negative things about pay, benefits, but not sure what to make of it all. I went through Metro a few times and was burnt from them, because I passed everything, but always towards the end they freeze freeze freeze. Have you been practing the Agility Test? Email me sighting101@yahoo.com

I moved from the east coast for the job and it was a big mistake. Luckily I got picked up by another agency back east. The pay and benefits are not good and people leave the department all the time because of it. I even questioned the HR guy about people leaving due to the benefits and pay and was told it's not true and I would still be clearing $1100 every check. In reality your pay will be under $1000. NO OT in Indian Springs. I paid $115 a month for benefits. If you have a wife, kids or both you will be paying 2 to $300 a month for benefits. No raises for three years. 20% of your pay goes to retirement which pretty much means you're paying for the people who are retired now because the state is broke. They are talking about a pay raise but keep in mind that every time you get a raise they take more out. It's 20% of your salary. They are getting rid of the furlough days from what I hear. If you have a job now I would stay there. If you don't than I guess it's better than nothing. Guys I went to the academy with told me they were making more on unemployment. If your single it might be a good place for you. Just don't expect to make a lot of money. The state cut everything they could cut. They also don't pay for your travel if you live over 25 miles from work anymore. So if you're driving 50-60 miles to work everyday that adds up too.

Roob in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

Glad I'm Out in Windsor Locks, Connecticut said: I moved from the east coast for the job and it was a big mistake. Luckily I got picked up by another agency back east. The pay and benefits are not good and people leave the department all the time because of it. I even questioned the HR guy about people leaving due to the benefits and pay and was told it's not true and I would still be clearing $1100 every check. In reality your pay will be under $1000. NO OT in Indian Springs. I paid $115 a month for benefits. If you have a wife, kids or both you will be paying 2 to $300 a month for benefits. No raises for three years. 20% of your pay goes to retirement which pretty much means you're paying for the people who are retired now because the state is broke. They are talking about a pay raise but keep in mind that every time you get a raise they take more out. It's 20% of your salary. They are getting rid of the furlough days from what I hear. If you have a job now I would stay there. If you don't than I guess it's better than nothing. Guys I went to the academy with told me they were making more on unemployment. If your single it might be a good place for you. Just don't expect to make a lot of money. The state cut everything they could cut. They also don't pay for your travel if you live over 25 miles from work anymore. So if you're driving 50-60 miles to work everyday that adds up too.

Hey Im a CO for NDOC right now. Yeah things are a bit tough being a state employee with all the cuts, but if you read on FOX 5 website, the city of NLV is about to lay off about 100 of their CO's. That means the NDOC will probably pick up those people. Im sticking around with NDOC hoping that things will get better. Its not just the NDOC its all state employees that are getting cuts left & right. Our job is a good job and easy job, just hoping things will get better.

aaron in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

Roob in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hey Im a CO for NDOC right now. Yeah things are a bit tough being a state employee with all the cuts, but if you read on FOX 5 website, the city of NLV is about to lay off about 100 of their CO's. That means the NDOC will probably pick up those people. Im sticking around with NDOC hoping that things will get better. Its not just the NDOC its all state employees that are getting cuts left & right. Our job is a good job and easy job, just hoping things will get better.

Sounds like the right mentality. I'm just waiting for the background to clear and then should be up for an academy date. I'm 24, single and have little bills so I think I should be okay for the time being. Hopefully sticking out the rough will pay out in the long run or at least give the experience needed to land a LE job elsewhere. How are things post-academy? Also what are you bringing in with everything deducted and things like gas allowance added? Thanks for any answers and goodluck to anyone out there still in the process.

I left too in Boonton, New Jersey

85 months ago

Just keep in mind that usually when a state takes something away from an agency they usually dont't give it back. Whatever is in place now is probably what it's going to be. Those going for this job, keep in mind that you have to pay for your benefits out of pocket after you retire. There are a lot of guys in NV DOC that tried to use this as a stepping stone into metro or NLV (both not hiring alot if any) and they havn't gotten on with 5 plus years OTJ. If you need a job it's a job but there is really no future with this department. There is not even a union to fight for the officers. I did hear they are going to give a raise to COs. Hopefully it's enough to keep people from leaving. A friend of mine is waiting for his lease to be up and he's leaving once he can because it's not worth it. I couldn't imagine having a wife and two kids paying over $300 a month for benefits and then 20% towards retirement. Good Luck.

adam in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

To any CO's there now... Are you working 5 days? or 4 days 10 hours? I heard that some work 4 10's, but wasn't from a credible source. Thanks for any feedback.

Kage1 in San Leandro, California

84 months ago

Actually working now and we are on 12s...4 o n 4me off 3the on 3 off

adam in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

Kage1 in San Leandro, California said: Actually working now and we are on 12s...4 o n 4me off 3the on 3 off

Thank you! How are you liking that? Sounds like something I'd really like.

Craig in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

Has anyone heard anything of future academy dates? I know there is one in June, but haven't heard much other than that. I've been waiting on a word back after turning in my packet a few months ago. Finished my medical early April also so I'd think a call should be coming to me soon.

Broham in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

I'm a CO now with the state. I just finished the academy 2 months ago. The job itself is easy. When it come to the OT, right now they are having academies back to back to get rid of the OT. I'm single so the pay is not too bad. I couldn't raise a family with my pay tho. They take taxes plus your retirement each check. I work in Ely so the prison is pretty safe here. A lot of people that are working here are trying to transfer to High Desert or Southern Desert as soon as their one year probation is up. Or transfer to another LE agency. I would not move states for this job.

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.