Getting Licensed in California

Comments (17)

jegrdh in Georgia

126 months ago

Hi! I recently graduated from a DH school in Georgia, and I plan on taking the test for California in the future. I read the exam information and application information, and I have a few questions.

In the exam information it said you had to have a dental assistant, but it couldn't be a dental assistant or even a dental hygiene student. Where do you get one then?
Do you have to take the periodontal soft tissue curettage, administration of local anesthetic, and administration of nitrous oxide and oxygen classes before you apply for your license? How long does that take?

Any other help is appreciated, thank you!

Keri in Ashburn, Georgia

121 months ago

jegrdh in Georgia said: Hi! I recently graduated from a DH school in Georgia, and I plan on taking the test for California in the future. I read the exam information and application information, and I have a few questions.

In the exam information it said you had to have a dental assistant, but it couldn't be a dental assistant or even a dental hygiene student. Where do you get one then?
Do you have to take the periodontal soft tissue curettage, administration of local anesthetic, and administration of nitrous oxide and oxygen classes before you apply for your license? How long does that take?

Any other help is appreciated, thank you!

Did anyone reply to you regarding your questions. I am a RDH in Warner Robins Ga and I also need to take the California boards. What did you find out about the courses and the boards? I would love any info you have. Thanks!

JAY-R in Houston, Texas

121 months ago

Keri in Ashburn, Georgia said: Did anyone reply to you regarding your questions. I am a RDH in Warner Robins Ga and I also need to take the California boards. What did you find out about the courses and the boards? I would love any info you have. Thanks!

u can apply do it in sacramento.. im planning on taking it this coming september.

Anna

121 months ago

How funny, I just got off the phone with Sacramento City College. The lady who answered the phone said the course is starting in late July to early August, said it's a 3 weekend course and at the end you have to bring your 3 patients in.

(nine one six) five five eight-two four four three

is the number, guess number's cannot be posted on here.

That is the number, good luck!

Keri in Adel, Georgia

121 months ago

Anna said: How funny, I just got off the phone with Sacramento City College. The lady who answered the phone said the course is starting in late July to early August, said it's a 3 weekend course and at the end you have to bring your 3 patients in.

(nine one six) five five eight-two four four three

is the number, guess number's cannot be posted on here.

That is the number, good luck!

You have to go all 3 weekends????????

Anna

121 months ago

Dats what the lady said. I asked for only the anesthesia part and she said "Well out of the 10 day course, for anesthesia only, you have to be there 9 days out of the 10" Personally I can't afford to travel to Sacramento all 3 weekends and find all 3 patients.

Keri in Adel, Georgia

121 months ago

Anna said: Dats what the lady said. I asked for only the anesthesia part and she said "Well out of the 10 day course, for anesthesia only, you have to be there 9 days out of the 10" Personally I can't afford to travel to Sacramento all 3 weekends and find all 3 patients.

me either...How are we supposed to find three patients when we live out of the state? For that much money they should supply the patients!

JAY-R in Houston, Texas

121 months ago

Keri in Adel, Georgia said: me either...How are we supposed to find three patients when we live out of the state? For that much money they should supply the patients!

amen!!! but if u guys have family over there then they can prob help. im planning on doin this by this year

jegrdh in Georgia

121 months ago

Keri in Ashburn, Georgia said: Did anyone reply to you regarding your questions. I am a RDH in Warner Robins Ga and I also need to take the California boards. What did you find out about the courses and the boards? I would love any info you have. Thanks!

Sorry I didn't find any information! And my boyfriend broke up with me, so no need to go out to CA now :)
But I would love a job here in GA! I've applied to so many places, and I'm getting nothing!

rdhcu in Parker, Colorado

121 months ago

If you are new to Dental Hygiene I strongly suggest you take the exams and get your license in California. It can open many doors for you in the future. If you think it is difficult now to jump thru all their hoops it is impossible as time goes on. Also, look at the other States you think you just might like to work there someday. I wish I had gotten mine in Hawaii.
It is so stupid that we can't go anywhere we want.
Good Luck...... We use to be able to look for jobs where we live. Now we have to look at the whole State. The corporate Dental business is forcing Hygienist and Dentist to practice in a certain way.......OR be fired. Increase your options.

RDH girl in Honolulu, Hawaii

121 months ago

I just enrolled in the private nitrous course for one day in sacremento for $2400.00! and yes I had to scrounge up three patients, I feel the same way that they should supply the patients for that amount of money. Additonally I called COMDA to see if they could help me locate a licensed dental assistant for my ca boards test this october and the lady said, "we don't do that." Now I am resorting to placing a craigs list ad for a dental assistant for that day, and dragging a patient with me half way accross the nation for this exam. Its costing over $4000.00 between the nitrous and boards with the continuous travel to satisfy the courses and take the exam. I really hope it is all worth it!!!

121 months ago

This is disgraceful to be put through so much to work under the heavy controlling hand of the Dentist and Corporations.
Hygienist need to stand together and force the regulations to be the same in all States. We should be able to move to any State and work with out being forced to jump through all these money making hoops. I feel so sorry for the young Hygienist. I apologize for what we older Hygienist have left you to deal with.

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

121 months ago

The states know how to charge, it's all about the money. Our education should stand good anywhere in the US. The different national boards are a crock of bull
@#$% too. Just another way to make more money off of us and pidgeon hole us to stay in one place. Who can afford to move all over the place? The requirements and scope of practice should be more universal also.

121 months ago

I agree

Nathalie in Sun City, Arizona

119 months ago

I've just moved from California ( the Bay Area ) to Arizona, and yes the hoops you have to jump through and what they expect you to pay. My friends who are nurses, can work all over the country and don't have to do half as much as this to practice medicine in another state! It's crazy. "The requirements and scope of practice should be more universal also." Absolutely!

Nathalie in Sun City, Arizona

119 months ago

RDH girl in Honolulu, Hawaii said: I just enrolled in the private nitrous course for one day in sacremento for $2400.00! and yes I had to scrounge up three patients, I feel the same way that they should supply the patients for that amount of money. Additonally I called COMDA to see if they could help me locate a licensed dental assistant for my ca boards test this october and the lady said, "we don't do that." Now I am resorting to placing a craigs list ad for a dental assistant for that day, and dragging a patient with me half way accross the nation for this exam. Its costing over $4000.00 between the nitrous and boards with the continuous travel to satisfy the courses and take the exam. I really hope it is all worth it!!!

which board, SF or LA. If it's SF I might be able to recommend a few assistants.

charlie in Riverside, California

92 months ago

What a huge waiste of time. Dental hygiene committee (of california)shouldbe ashame. There noise is so far in the air. They can help the next generation. I'm a nurse and can travel anywhere but my wife has too stay in the cold east just to practice. And all these dentist are cheap as hell anyway. Goodluck with the dental field...lol

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.