Esthetics in the United Kingdom/England

Comments (38)

Louise in Atlanta, Georgia

121 months ago

Does anyone know anything regarding estheticians from the U.S. transferring to the U.K. and if transferring is possible? Does anyone know what the governing body/association is that I need to contact? Any information you may have is helpful. Thanks!

louise in Orlando, Florida

115 months ago

I am trying to find out about this aswell. I have emailed BABTAC and CIBTAC and had no response. Someone told me that a CIDESCO diploma is required over there but i don"t seem to be able find out for sure.

Aesthetician in Reykjavík, Iceland

115 months ago

If you have a CIDESCO certification you should have no problem, if not, you will most likely need much more training. It also depends I think on how many years of experience you have and if you have other training such as nails and makeup artistry. The training in the U.S is hardly comparable with what they are learning in Europe.

cjbskin in Seaside, California

113 months ago

Hello,
I am also trying to relocate from the US to the UK as an esthetician. I have been trying for 6 months now and have had no luck. But this is what I have found out...estheticians dont exist in the UK. They are called beauty therapists and they have to know nails, massage, etc. They dont just specialize in skincare. Even if you did get an equivalent qualification like the CIDESCO, you then have to get your visa in order to work over there which is a whole other story. I have done extensive research on this and pretty much know the immigration laws backward and forward now. You will have to find a company willing to sponsor you which is not easy. Then they have to prove that they are bringing you over from the US because nobody there can so the job. It is a crazy process and the chances are pretty slim. I would know. Anyway, if you have found out anymore information please let me know. For, I am not giving up!
Christina

Rachel2727 in South Amboy, New Jersey

102 months ago

Hi there, I'm actually trying to do things the other way around. I moved from the UK to New Jersey in the US last may and I'm still trying to figure out how I can work here without having to re-study all over again. Cjbskin is correct, there's no such thing as an Esthetician in the UK. We're called Beauty Therapists and are qualified to carry out Swedish and aromatherapy massage, waxing, facials, eye treatments (tinting, eyebrow shaping etc), manicures, pedicures, make up and body treatments. I'm qualified in NVQ levels 2 & 3 beauty therapy which is a 2 year full time course but here no one seems to know what that means. I'm also qualified in hot stones, Hopi ear candling and have been working at my job back home at the Hyatt spa for 6 years so I'm a bit upset that apparently that means nothing anymore here.

On another note though, I don't know about work visas to the UK unfortunately but would suggest you sort out
a way to get situated before looking into a career. However, I'd recommend you contact EDEXCEL or VTCT - they're the awarding bodies I obtained my qualifications from. Best of luck everyone. If anyone can help my situation too, I'd be very grateful for some advice!

Louise in Orlando, Florida

102 months ago

Hi Rachel,

I had a friend who did her training like yours in England (two years), she moved to TX and had it converted some how into an Aestheticians licence and massage licence. Have you tried the department of regulations and licence for you area?

cjbskin in Monterey, California

102 months ago

Hi Rachael. Thank you for the helpful information on those trying to go from the US to the UK. I have been trying for a year and a half now but have had no luck :( As for you, you might want to start by contacting the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (at least thats what it is called here in Cali). They should be able to provide you with more information. It varies from state to state. I dont think you would, or should, have to go back to school seeing as though your training in the UK is way more extensive than ours. It looks like your training there would be similiar to what a Cosmetologist is here. However, if you're wanting to do just skincare, you might have to go through the Esthetician program. Hope this helps.

Hilary in Belleville, Ontario

97 months ago

Hello everyone.
I am moving over to the UK next spring and i will be a college graduate of the esthetics and managment course. I am wondering if there is any further paper work I must to in order to beale to work there in the esthetics field. I have herd of a big test to take before you go in order to work there? is any of that true?

any further details would be so helpful

Thanks alot

Hilary

Rachel in South Amboy, New Jersey

97 months ago

Thank you Louise and cjbskin! I have since looked into it further and as I have over 5 years experience in another country, the NY department of licensing are going to honor my qualifications, without the need for the license exam at all. I just have to fill out the form and pay the license fee! Yay! NJ don't do the same though so I will have to get a job in NYC (about 30 mins away from us).

Hi there Hilary,

I'm from the UK and I moved to the US 1 year ago last month and unfortunately there is no such thing as an Esthetician in the UK. We're known as Beauty Therapists instead. The course to do Beauty Therapy is 2 years full time and it includes Body Massage and Beauty (manicures pedicures, waxing, facials, tinting & make up). I'm so sorry but with a qualificationin Esthetics, you may find it very hard to gain employment as employers are all looking for Beauty Therapists that can carry out all areas of work and also, they can't obtain insurance for you without a 'recognised' UK qualification. I have worked for Hotel Spas during the last 9 years and also employed staff too so if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help. My email is rachelhands@ymail.com. Best of luck!

cara in Harrison, Arkansas

92 months ago

Rachel in South Amboy, New Jersey said: Thank you Louise and cjbskin! I have since looked into it further and as I have over 5 years experience in another country, the NY department of licensing are going to honor my qualifications, without the need for the license exam at all. I just have to fill out the form and pay the license fee! Yay! NJ don't do the same though so I will have to get a job in NYC (about 30 mins away from us).

Hi there Hilary,

I'm from the UK and I moved to the US 1 year ago last month and unfortunately there is no such thing as an Esthetician in the UK. We're known as Beauty Therapists instead. The course to do Beauty Therapy is 2 years full time and it includes Body Massage and Beauty (manicures pedicures, waxing, facials, tinting & make up). I'm so sorry but with a qualificationin Esthetics, you may find it very hard to gain employment as employers are all looking for Beauty Therapists that can carry out all areas of work and also, they can't obtain insurance for you without a 'recognised' UK qualification. I have worked for Hotel Spas during the last 9 years and also employed staff too so if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help. My email is rachelhands@ymail.com. Best of luck!

Rachel, I am about to graduate from community college with my associates degree and then heading to esthectics school for my CIDESCO certification which is supposed to be international. Do you think if I decided to go the medical esthetician route with the CIDESCO certification that it may help me with getting a job in the UK? I've spent some time there and just fell in love the country. Also, perhaps the school I choose could have some connections? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

nicola qualified in us works in uk in Orpington, United Kingdom

91 months ago

hi hillary and anyone else who this helps.....
Im from the UK and trained to be an esthetician in the state of Hawaii 6 years ago and got a job as soon as i moved back home. Obviously the legality of me being a british citizen makes it easy but from a qualification POV it is perfectly acceptable.

When you arrive in the UK, it may be worth enrolling on a massage course and nail course which would allow you to work whilst training. Thats what I did!
I have a VTCT in nails, massage, electro epilation, health and safety at work and many others.

You can, although not ideal, do day courses in the above treatments which allow you to work in new treatments immediately, i would suggest googling carlton beauty courses in the UK, they are a well known academy.

Theres no big test, dont worry, and far too many qualifications just to confuse you, im now training to be a teacher and work as a medical esthetician and colonic therapist!
Experience is a life skill, anyone can pass a test and forget,
you can do it x

elove263 in Leicester, United Kingdom

86 months ago

Aesthetician in Reykjavík, Iceland said: If you have a CIDESCO certification you should have no problem, if not, you will most likely need much more training. It also depends I think on how many years of experience you have and if you have other training such as nails and makeup artistry. The training in the U.S is hardly comparable with what they are learning in Europe.

I am trying to find the answers as well but I would like to say that living in the UK now and as wonderful as it is , i have had several facials and massage and sorry they are crap! the training in the US is far better for both those professions

elove263 in Leicester, United Kingdom

86 months ago

cjbskin in Seaside, California said: Hello,
I am also trying to relocate from the US to the UK as an esthetician . I have been trying for 6 months now and have had no luck. But this is what I have found out...estheticians dont exist in the UK. They are called beauty therapists and they have to know nails, massage, etc. They dont just specialize in skincare. Even if you did get an equivalent qualification like the CIDESCO, you then have to get your visa in order to work over there which is a whole other story. I have done extensive research on this and pretty much know the immigration laws backward and forward now. You will have to find a company willing to sponsor you which is not easy. Then they have to prove that they are bringing you over from the US because nobody there can so the job. It is a crazy process and the chances are pretty slim. I would know. Anyway, if you have found out anymore information please let me know. For, I am not giving up!
Christina

This was really helpful thanks , As far as I have been able to tell , living here already , is that they offer a 2 day course and you can get a certificate , it's all very strange as they don't seem to have the same level of training here as I have in massage and facials , it seems very basic here with massage especially , Swedish primarily , .. it is hard for me to believe that i can go on a 2 day course but I will keep looking and see what the laws are and see if tht only applies to me because I have an associates in medical massage already. If I find anything I will post it

Amely in Romania

86 months ago

It looks like there is not more extensive training. Our Esthetician training in the US is 1 year and massage therapy and nails tech over 1 year so together are over 2 years. I am also trying to relocate to UK from the US, i am a Licensed Esthetician but i am from Romania so being from the EU i don't think i would have a problem in working in the UK the problem is finding a job with my qualifications. How do you get a CIDESCO certification?

Amely in Romania

86 months ago

I looks to me like in the UK there are not licenses for beauty therapists, each school has it's own time of study for each level and each work place has it's own requirements of training. Right? In the US each state has it's own required no of training contact hours (in school) and a required license exam and after that continuing education hours that we need for each year

Linda in Santa Ana, California

84 months ago

Hi Nicola,
I am in California and half way through the Esthetician program here...My husband is from the UK and we are moving there next year...I will have a visa to work so no problem there...would you mind giving me a step by step way to become a medical esthetician? I would really appreciate any advice from you. Many thanks, Linda

nicola qualified in us works in uk in Orpington, United Kingdom said: hi hillary and anyone else who this helps.....
Im from the UK and trained to be an esthetician in the state of Hawaii 6 years ago and got a job as soon as i moved back home. Obviously the legality of me being a british citizen makes it easy but from a qualification POV it is perfectly acceptable.

When you arrive in the UK, it may be worth enrolling on a massage course and nail course which would allow you to work whilst training. Thats what I did!
I have a VTCT in nails, massage, electro epilation, health and safety at work and many others.

You can, although not ideal, do day courses in the above treatments which allow you to work in new treatments immediately, i would suggest googling carlton beauty courses in the UK, they are a well known academy.

Theres no big test, dont worry, and far too many qualifications just to confuse you, im now training to be a teacher and work as a medical esthetician and colonic therapist!
Experience is a life skill, anyone can pass a test and forget,
you can do it x

htalbi in Doha, Qatar

67 months ago

Louise in Atlanta, Georgia said: Does anyone know anything regarding estheticians from the U.S. transferring to the U.K. and if transferring is possible? Does anyone know what the governing body/association is that I need to contact? Any information you may have is helpful. Thanks!

Hi louise
I am the owner of a beauty salon in Qatar , are you interested to work in Qatar if yes you can email me on
hudatalbi@yahoo.fr

htalbi in Doha, Qatar

67 months ago

cjbskin in Monterey, California said: Hi Rachael. Thank you for the helpful information on those trying to go from the US to the UK. I have been trying for a year and a half now but have had no luck :( As for you, you might want to start by contacting the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (at least thats what it is called here in Cali). They should be able to provide you with more information. It varies from state to state. I dont think you would, or should, have to go back to school seeing as though your training in the UK is way more extensive than ours. It looks like your training there would be similiar to what a Cosmetologist is here. However, if you're wanting to do just skincare, you might have to go through the Esthetician program. Hope this helps.

Hi Rachael , I am the owner of a beauty salon in Qatar are you interested to work in qatar you can sent me your CV on my email
hudatalbi@yahoo.fr
Thanks

67 months ago

Louise in Atlanta, Georgia said: Does anyone know anything regarding estheticians from the U.S. transferring to the U.K. and if transferring is possible? Does anyone know what the governing body/association is that I need to contact? Any information you may have is helpful. Thanks!

Hi, Try calling Lynne Archer who is the Director of The Guild of Professional Beauty Therapists Ltd. You can email me at ssvelez@cfl.rr.com if you would like the phone number.

nicolajonesaesth in London, United Kingdom

67 months ago

Louise in Orlando, Florida said: Hi, Try calling Lynne Archer who is the Director of The Guild of Professional Beauty Therapists Ltd. You can email me at ssvelez@cfl.rr.com if you would like the phone number.

hi louise my qual is from usa im a lecturer, examiner and aesthetic practitioner, you can email me at nicolasnowball@destinationskin.com
send me your CV :)

nicolajonesaesth in London, United Kingdom

67 months ago

Linda in Santa Ana, California said: Hi Nicola,
I am in California and half way through the Esthetician program here...My husband is from the UK and we are moving there next year...I will have a visa to work so no problem there...would you mind giving me a step by step way to become a medical esthetician? I would really appreciate any advice from you. Many thanks, Linda

did you get anyhwere with this? you can email me o nicolasnowball@destinationskin.com , are you here and ready to work?

Rachel Estho in Everett, Washington

60 months ago

Linda in Santa Ana, California said: Hi Nicola,

Hi Linda. I have visa questions (since I've learned basically everything else about transferring my esthetic license due to this forum). My fiancé lives in England right now. We are going to get married (no date set yet) but I was curious how you went about getting your uk visa from the states and about how much it costs total? Also which direction of visas I should go with, like the spousal visa (but that limits us to get married in 6months), the tiers visa the work visa? I'm just confused how the work visa actually works, since you have to have a job lined up already to even be accepted for that visa!? And how long since your husband is already a British citizen, will it take you to finally get British citizenship? Maybe you can help with one more thing... I would like to open my own spa. I currently have mine in Seattle Washington and would like to reopen in England. But I believe there are a whole bunch of hurdles with that to even happen for me. Please help! Anyone!
Kindly,
Rachel

vince in Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom

54 months ago

Hi Rachel ,My fiance is from USA and looking for her to relocate to the UK she is an estitician in the USA, we will get married next year. Is it true that if you go for the spousal visa you have to marry in 6 months. Also do you know if CIDESCO works in the UK, she says that she can do the CIDESCO in california and the exam as long as its recognized in Uk. Any help would be great

Rachel Estho in Everett, Washington said: Hi Linda. I have visa questions (since I've learned basically everything else about transferring my esthetic license due to this forum). My fiancé lives in England right now. We are going to get married (no date set yet) but I was curious how you went about getting your uk visa from the states and about how much it costs total? Also which direction of visas I should go with, like the spousal visa (but that limits us to get married in 6months), the tiers visa the work visa? I'm just confused how the work visa actually works, since you have to have a job lined up already to even be accepted for that visa!? And how long since your husband is already a British citizen, will it take you to finally get British citizenship? Maybe you can help with one more thing... I would like to open my own spa. I currently have mine in Seattle Washington and would like to reopen in England. But I believe there are a whole bunch of hurdles with that to even happen for me. Please help! Anyone!
Kindly,
Rachel

Kim in Glendale, Arizona

51 months ago

Amely in Romania said: It looks like there is not more extensive training. Our Esthetician training in the US is 1 year and massage therapy and nails tech over 1 year so together are over 2 years. I am also trying to relocate to UK from the US, i am a Licensed Esthetician but i am from Romania so being from the EU i don't think i would have a problem in working in the UK the problem is finding a job with my qualifications. How do you get a CIDESCO certification?

Hi Amely, I was hoping you might be able to help me with some information, or a website I could use. I am currently studying Massage therapy here in the USA (In Arizona) and I would LOVE to take my career to Romania some day. Would you have any advice on how I could make this happen? I would really appreciate your help a great deal. Thank you! I hope to hear from you soon!!

Natasha Hargreaves in London, United Kingdom

36 months ago

I am setting up a skin clinic and I am looking for Estheticians to be located in suffolk, when and where are you looking to relocate in the UK

36 months ago

Hi Natasha, i am relocating to the UK from Florida this summer, can you send me your email

36 months ago

Natasha Hargreaves in London, United Kingdom said: I am setting up a skin clinic and I am looking for Estheticians to be located in suffolk, when and where are you looking to relocate in the UK

Hi Natasha, i am relocating to the UK from Florida this summer, can you send me your email address so we can be in touch

Soraya in Lilburn, Georgia

35 months ago

I have my esthetician license in the state of GA AND would like to move back to the UK. I was born in the UK so visa isn't a problem. I want to learn laser with IPL can anyone tell me the best schools for this course and will I have to start over with schooling once I go to the UK

soraya.skintherapy@gmail.com

Soraya in Lilburn, Georgia

35 months ago

nicolajonesaesth in London, United Kingdom said: hi louise my qual is from usa im a lecturer, examiner and aesthetic practitioner, you can email me at nicolasnowball@destinationskin.com
send me your CV :)

YOUR EMAIL KEEPS BOUNCING BACK

Nicola

20 months ago

Hey Rachel I know this is a super old post but just wondered how you got on transferring your U.K. Qualifications to the us?? I'm in the same boat and the Illinois license department wants me to take the state board exam or re study !!!!! Many thanks, Nicola.

Rachel2727 in South Amboy, New Jersey said: Hi there, I'm actually trying to do things the other way around. I moved from the UK to New Jersey in the US last may and I'm still trying to figure out how I can work here without having to re-study all over again. Cjbskin is correct, there's no such thing as an Esthetician in the UK. We're called Beauty Therapists and are qualified to carry out Swedish and aromatherapy massage, waxing, facials, eye treatments (tinting, eyebrow shaping etc), manicures, pedicures, make up and body treatments. I'm qualified in NVQ levels 2 & 3 beauty therapy which is a 2 year full time course but here no one seems to know what that means. I'm also qualified in hot stones, Hopi ear candling and have been working at my job back home at the Hyatt spa for 6 years so I'm a bit upset that apparently that means nothing anymore here.

On another note though, I don't know about work visas to the UK unfortunately but would suggest you sort out
a way to get situated before looking into a career. However, I'd recommend you contact EDEXCEL or VTCT - they're the awarding bodies I obtained my qualifications from. Best of luck everyone. If anyone can help my situation too, I'd be very grateful for some advice!

Nicola in United Kingdom

20 months ago

Im super suprised thus post is still here. I recently left the beauty therapy profession to pursue a medical degree but worked in education prior and qualified in the USA originally.
I did NOT re take any exams, it is an unregulated profession in the UK and getting a position will depend on the discretion of your employer. As i also worked as a VTCT verifier and assessor this is what we call in the uk, straight from the horses mouth info. If you wanted to convert, which i stress you dont have to, you will put a portfolio together of your completed aesthetician work and reference it to UK guidelines as set in VTCT record of achievement and providing it fits you will be likely to be asked to do a practical observation. May i stress....a good employer will take stock of what you have already done and therefore it is completely unnecessay. I worked in the UK for 12 years with a diploma obtained in Maui. Some councils in the UK require you to apply for a licence yet again if they do...its at their discretion to consider your USA qual. Best of luck.

Nicola

20 months ago

Hey thanks for the reply. It's actually the opposite way for me. I'm qualified in the U.K. But living in the USA so looking for help obtaining an Illinois state license ?

Nicola in United Kingdom said: Im super suprised thus post is still here. I recently left the beauty therapy profession to pursue a medical degree but worked in education prior and qualified in the USA originally.
I did NOT re take any exams, it is an unregulated profession in the UK and getting a position will depend on the discretion of your employer. As i also worked as a VTCT verifier and assessor this is what we call in the uk, straight from the horses mouth info. If you wanted to convert, which i stress you dont have to, you will put a portfolio together of your completed aesthetician work and reference it to UK guidelines as set in VTCT record of achievement and providing it fits you will be likely to be asked to do a practical observation. May i stress....a good employer will take stock of what you have already done and therefore it is completely unnecessay. I worked in the UK for 12 years with a diploma obtained in Maui. Some councils in the UK require you to apply for a licence yet again if they do...its at their discretion to consider your USA qual. Best of luck.

Chanel in Des Moines, Iowa

15 months ago

Hello Rachel, I realize this post was made a very long time ago but I am in a similar situation as you were in and I would love to know what you did and how it worked out? I am a massage therapist and currently going to esthetician school and attending laser school immediately after. My boyfriend lives in England and I plan on moving within the next couple years. I would love any advice you have on license transfer, getting a visa, getting a job etc. Thank you, Chanel

Rachel Estho in Everett, Washington said: Hi Linda. I have visa questions (since I've learned basically everything else about transferring my esthetic license due to this forum). My fiancé lives in England right now. We are going to get married (no date set yet) but I was curious how you went about getting your uk visa from the states and about how much it costs total? Also which direction of visas I should go with, like the spousal visa (but that limits us to get married in 6months), the tiers visa the work visa? I'm just confused how the work visa actually works, since you have to have a job lined up already to even be accepted for that visa!? And how long since your husband is already a British citizen, will it take you to finally get British citizenship? Maybe you can help with one more thing... I would like to open my own spa. I currently have mine in Seattle Washington and would like to reopen in England. But I believe there are a whole bunch of hurdles with that to even happen for me. Please help! Anyone!
Kindly,
Rachel

Rachel in Bloomfield, New Jersey

14 months ago

Nicola said: Hey Rachel I know this is a super old post but just wondered how you got on transferring your U.K. Qualifications to the us?? I'm in the same boat and the Illinois license department wants me to take the state board exam or re study !!!!! Many thanks, Nicola.

Hi Nicola,

I haven’t been on this site in a very long time. Im so sorry! I’m the Rachel you replied to above but have since changed my email address and everything. I just happened to end up back on this site today and saw your reply. Yes, I ended up getting a license in Esthetics for the state of NY (not NJ where I actually live though). Even with 8 years prior experience back in the UK, they refused to help me obtain the license. The NY board however, allowed me to submit affidavits from all of my previous employers, and the UK college that I studied at in order to obtain the Esthetics license. I think I had to have had 5 years minimum experience in another country so luckily, I met that requirement. It was very difficult having to chase old employers down though. A lot of people have moved on and such. I will say though, that despite having my NY license now, and renewing it since I last wrote on this board, I haven’t even used it. I’ve become quite frustrated at the system here in the spa and beauty industry in the US. It’s just not the same. I really miss doing my full scope of treatments so while I’ll continue to renew, I’ve taken work in another completely different direction. I’m really sad about it in all honesty, but comparing esthetics to beauty therapy, really is like comparing apples to oranges. The methods, the approach etc are all very different to what I fell in love with in the first place. How have you got on? What ended up happening for you?

Helen in Aliso Viejo, California

13 months ago

Rachel in South Amboy, New Jersey said: Thank you Louise and cjbskin! I have since looked into it further and as I have over 5 years experience in another country, the NY department of licensing are going to honor my qualifications, without the need for the license exam at all. I just have to fill out the form and pay the license fee! Yay! NJ don't do the same though so I will have to get a job in NYC (about 30 mins away from us).

Hi there Hilary,

Hello, Please can you help me? I just recently moved from UK to California, Laguna Hill. I am a experienced Beauty Therapist and thought L2 and L3 Beauty qualification in UK. I am trying to get my CA license so I can start working but, I am going around circle. I've contacted CA board of cosmetologist and I was told that I need to send my qualifications to AQUEO International to be Evaluated first. Which I have and paid $150 for (Professional/Trade School Education). Now, not only AQUEO International took my money they are not responding to any of my emails. I need to work and I don't now what else can I do????

Brandee Gire in Newmarket, United Kingdom

13 months ago

Helen in Aliso Viejo, California said: Hello, Please can you help me? I just recently moved from UK to California, Laguna Hill. I am a experienced Beauty Therapist and thought L2 and L3 Beauty qualification in UK. I am trying to get my CA license so I can start working but, I am going around circle. I've contacted CA board of cosmetologist and I was told that I need to send my qualifications to AQUEO International to be Evaluated first. Which I have and paid $150 for (Professional/Trade School Education ). Now, not only AQUEO International took my money they are not responding to any of my emails. I need to work and I don't now what else can I do????

Hello! I am in the same boat as you. I recently just received my CIDESCO qualification in the UK and I am from Mission Viejo CA ! There seems to be no solid info on how to get a California aesthetician license with international qualifications. If you have any luck please let me know what you did to get your license! And good luck!

Rachel in Nutley, New Jersey

11 months ago

Helen in Aliso Viejo, California said: Hello, Please can you help me? I just recently moved from UK to California, Laguna Hill. I am a experienced Beauty Therapist and thought L2 and L3 Beauty qualification in UK. I am trying to get my CA license so I can start working but, I am going around circle. I've contacted CA board of cosmetologist and I was told that I need to send my qualifications to AQUEO International to be Evaluated first. Which I have and paid $150 for (Professional/Trade School Education ). Now, not only AQUEO International took my money they are not responding to any of my emails. I need to work and I don't now what else can I do????

Hi there, I'm the Rachel you replied to. Indeed keeps changing my location. If you or anyone would like to contact me directly, I'd be happy to help. Just send me an email to Rachel_blackwell@ymail.com. It has taken me many years to realize, unfortunately, that the same job, just doesn't exist in the US. The training, the requirements and such are so far apart between the two countries, that I changed my career in a different direction. Trying to get the 'powers that be' in the US to honor the full scope of my experience and qualifications has been extremely frustrating and depressing to be honest. I was a beauty therapist in hotel spas for 8 years in the UK and to have that mean nothing now, came as quite a shock for a while. I'm just being honest with you. Its a very hard road, especially if you loved your job in the UK. Another point to make is that legislation regarding this is entirely dependent on your state or the state where you want to work. As I mentioned above, the NY board of esthetics were a lot more 'with it' when trying to communicate with them about my situation. The whole process of applying was far far easier than in NJ (which is where I actually live). So, California will be completely different too. I'm sure that given the size, they must be more ahead with the times than NJ though.

Rachel in Nutley, New Jersey

11 months ago

brandeegire in Newmarket, United Kingdom said: Hello! I am in the same boat as you. I recently just received my CIDESCO qualification in the UK and I am from Mission Viejo CA ! There seems to be no solid info on how to get a California aesthetician license with international qualifications. If you have any luck please let me know what you did to get your license! And good luck!

Hey there,

I also replied to this lady you quoted. I'd be happy to try and help you too. Please send me an email to Rachel_blackwell@ymail.com as indeed will only let you type a certain amount of characters. All of this stuff is largely dependent on your state and with me, it involved my past experience (in NY you must have at least 5 years in another country). Send me an email.

Rachel

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.