FLIGHT ATTENDANT SALARY SCALE

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Kimberly2000 in Birmingham, Alabama

33 months ago

28 per hour is after years and years of service. Search a little bit deeper on the Internet and you'll learn the real truth about pay. Can you survive on 18k-20k a year? I was nieve about this also until I really did my research. It is very very very deceiving.

flo in Hollywood, Florida

33 months ago

raise of how much? $2 an hour?

AA11 in Dallas, Texas

33 months ago

But even 1st year, with per diem, bonus sharing, international fly pay etc., you can easily make above $30,000 if you work for the big 3.

33 months ago

70k? Of course not, but at least 25k-30k to survive. Unless you can live with relatives or someone you will not be eating.

Boone in Columbus, Ohio

33 months ago

Kimberly2000 in Birmingham, Alabama said: I think you misunderstood. your first year you get 80 hours per month, not 80 hours a week. That is $1600 a month? How can you survive on that?

That's the industry. Pay for the first few years is very low. No one gets into this lifestyle for the money. You are guaranteed around 80 hours per month at most airlines, but some allow you to pick up trips on your days off for some extra money. You are correct, there are no 40 hour work weeks. The scheduling for FAs works differently from pretty much any other job. Eventually, the job can pay very well after many years at a mainline company. But again, people get this job because they are drawn to the lifestyle, not the money.

33 months ago

70k, I'm not that nieve. I've just done real research. I know own the real pay. You can't even eat.

AA11 in Dallas, Texas

33 months ago

flo in Hollywood, Florida said: raise of how much? $2 an hour?

$2 to $4 a year. You start wth $27-$29 an hour and after 12 years it is up to $61-$68. Depends on the airline.

I'm only talking about United, American, SouthWest and Delta. The rest pay much less.

33 months ago

ok, after 12 years...what do you do in the 11 1/2 years prior?

AA11 in Dallas, Texas

33 months ago

flo in Hollywood, Florida said: ok, after 12 years...what do you do in the 11 1/2 years prior?

Um, you get increases every single year. After 12 years it is the top pay. You don't go from $29 to $65. You gradually get there so every year you make more money. By your 4th or 5th year you're in the $40s per hour, then 50s, then 60s.

I am sorry but no other job is going to pay you $80,000 right away unless you are a doctor and in that case you have to study and do residency etc for like 12 years before you get your first job and start making money and you'll probably have a $200,000+ student debt.

Luis in Streamwood, Illinois

33 months ago

Kimberly2000 in Birmingham, Alabama said: 28 per hour is after years and years of service. Search a little bit deeper on the Internet and you'll learn the real truth about pay. Can you survive on 18k-20k a year? I was nieve about this also until I really did my research. It is very very very deceiving.[/QUOTE

I did when I was a Marine... You barely make 18k a year..

CONTACREW in New York, New York

33 months ago

Kimberly2000 in Birmingham, Alabama said: 28 per hour is after years and years of service. Search a little bit deeper on the Internet and you'll learn the real truth about pay. Can you survive on 18k-20k a year? I was nieve about this also until I really did my research. It is very very very deceiving.

That is not correct. UA for example starts you off at $26.68 per hour.

Skycap in Youngstown, Ohio

33 months ago

Can anyone give me an example of the UA reserve schedule and how it works? Thank you.

33 months ago

Skycap in Youngstown, Ohio said: Can anyone give me an example of the UA reserve schedule and how it works? Thank you.

What kind of stuff are you wanting to know?

33 months ago

CONTACREW in New York, New York said: What kind of stuff are you wanting to know?

I'd like to know how many days on and off? I'd probably have to communte so I'm wondering if I could schedule 3days on 3days off? Even 3-6 days on then 3days off? wondering if commuting is doable. Thank you

33 months ago

Skycap in Youngstown, Ohio said: I'd like to know how many days on and off? I'd probably have to communte so I'm wondering if I could schedule 3days on 3days off? Even 3-6 days on then 3days off? wondering if commuting is doable. Thank you

It depends on what reserve line you bid really. For example you have 4 days off that are immovable but scheduling can move your other 6 days off for example. You can commute but as new hire you would be at the bottom of virtually every standby list. If you aren't wanting to totally uproot to a new city I would look into getting a crashpad in your base city that you can stay at during your reserve days and just fly home on your days off good luck!

Boone in Wadsworth, Ohio

33 months ago

CONTACREW in New York, New York said: It depends on what reserve line you bid really. For example you have 4 days off that are immovable but scheduling can move your other 6 days off for example. You can commute but as new hire you would be at the bottom of virtually every standby list. If you aren't wanting to totally uproot to a new city I would look into getting a crashpad in your base city that you can stay at during your reserve days and just fly home on your days off good luck!

I know crew scheduling can schedule you into days off, but once you are released into a block of movable days off you are good until your reserve days start again, right?

33 months ago

CONTACREW in New York, New York said: It depends on what reserve line you bid really. For example you have 4 days off that are immovable but scheduling can move your other 6 days off for example. You can commute but as new hire you would be at the bottom of virtually every standby list. If you aren't wanting to totally uproot to a new city I would look into getting a crashpad in your base city that you can stay at during your reserve days and just fly home on your days off good luck!

Thank you and I would definitely get a crash pad and would stay during all my reserve days. Are they easy to find in BOS? Do you know how far away they are from the airport?

33 months ago

Skycap in Youngstown, Ohio said: Thank you and I would definitely get a crash pad and would stay during all my reserve days. Are they easy to find in BOS? Do you know how far away they are from the airport?

Also, I know there's a guarantee of 75hrs? After you get a line is it possible to bid lower hours on occasion ?

33 months ago

Boone in Wadsworth, Ohio said: I know crew scheduling can schedule you into days off, but once you are released into a block of movable days off you are good until your reserve days start again, right?

Boone I'm in Ohio as well. Are you an emploee of B6?

Boone in Wadsworth, Ohio

33 months ago

Skycap in Youngstown, Ohio said: Boone I'm in Ohio as well. Are you an emploee of B6?

No I have a CJO from UA waiting on a training date.

33 months ago

Boone in Wadsworth, Ohio said: I know crew scheduling can schedule you into days off, but once you are released into a block of movable days off you are good until your reserve days start again, right?

Yes.

33 months ago

Skycap in Youngstown, Ohio said: Thank you and I would definitely get a crash pad and would stay during all my reserve days. Are they easy to find in BOS? Do you know how far away they are from the airport?

BOS isn't offered as a base for new hires. Expect Newark, Houston, Chicago, DC & San Fran as base options depending what sub hires you.

33 months ago

Skycap in Youngstown, Ohio said: Also, I know there's a guarantee of 75hrs? After you get a line is it possible to bid lower hours on occasion ?

Sub CO reserve guarantee is 83 hours sub UA reserve guarantee is 78 hours.

33 months ago

CONTACREW in New York, New York said: Sub CO reserve guarantee is 83 hours sub UA reserve guarantee is 78 hours.

Any idea how easy it is to commute from PiT to EWR?

CT_Leo in Dallas, Texas

33 months ago

Hi,

Just completed my VI for American and hoping to get good news back. I had a couple questions as I am coming from an entry level corporate america job.

I am making approx $25k after taxes in this role. Would that be do-able in the first year of being an FA? Judging by the prior responses it doesnt seem so..if there is an 80/hr per month schedule at only $27/hr, that is less than $26k before taxes. Not sure if this career move would be a good idea for me as I am a 23 y/o single woman who lives on a sole income, by herself. I am already based out of dallas so relo would not be necessary.

Just needing feedback from someone who may have been in a similar position. Thanks!

CT_Leo in Dallas, Texas

33 months ago

Hi,

Just completed my VI for American and hoping to get good news back. I had a couple questions as I am coming from an entry level corporate america job.

I am making approx $25k after taxes in this role. Would that be do-able in the first year of being an FA? Judging by the prior responses it doesnt seem so..if there is an 80/hr per month schedule at only $27/hr, that is less than $26k before taxes. Not sure if this career move would be a good idea for me as I am a 23 y/o single woman who lives on a sole income, by herself. I am already based out of dallas so relo would not be necessary.

Buzzard in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

good time of the year for a mini money discussion. (I'm not a FA, I was a pilot but for purposes of per diem it's the same)
So just an FYI for all you "guys" interested in "the salary".
Part of your total pay will include something called "per diem".
Per diem is paid by the hour, each hour, "usually" from the time you depart your home base until you arrive back.
Check with your specific airline for their specifics.
This is separate from and in addition to, your salary.
So if per diem is $1.00 per hour at your airline and you are on a trip and away from your base for 72 hours, you would get $72.00 in per diem.
Now I'm going to talk taxes for a minute here.
Be very aware, I have not done this for quite a few years so anyone here MUST check current tax laws.
Now the best part of this is that, for the most part this money you get for per diem is tax free.
Although if I remember right; if you are away from base for less than 24 hours; it is NOT tax free.
Sorry but you know how complicated taxes are.
Also another FYI; there are other things that are able to be "excluded" from your taxes, such as uniform cleaning and union dues, etc.
But I have been in discussions with FA's before about some things they swear they can exclude which are NOT excludable.
Their justification went something like this; "well i heard from another FA that "blank" was excludable and I'v been claiming it for several years now and it has been acceptable.
Just because you claim something and it "goes through" doesn't mean its "OK". It just means they have not caught up to you yet.(with an audit)
There is a lot of bogus info floated by "tax preparers". Be careful.
If you get audited; your "tax preparer" may argue for you but I guarantee you they will "NOT" pay the bill.

33 months ago

and you will need those $72 to eat for 72 hours correct? $24 a day. 3 meals of $8 or 4 meals of $6...um...

Buzzard in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

flo in Hollywood, Florida said: and you will need those $72 to eat for 72 hours correct? $24 a day. 3 meals of $8 or 4 meals of $6...um...

Duh

TheSkyIsHome in Middleburg, Florida

33 months ago

I work for Delta as an FA. As a new hire, I get 3k a month after tax. That's working 100 hours a month.

Flybaby in Orlando, Florida

33 months ago

Just curious if you fly out of JAX to get to your base.

FA NJ in Mount Holly, New Jersey

33 months ago

TheSkyIsHome in Middleburg, Florida said: I work for Delta as an FA. As a new hire, I get 3k a month after tax. That's working 100 hours a month.

I applied for delta I finished the online interview, but haven't heard anything back. Do they call you or send you an email for the f2f interview or they send you an email to let you know you weren't selected? Also is it true that they paY you 1,860 for training and is about 7 to 8 weeks intern Atlanta? And how's the payment that you get 3K for first year? Thanks for the info!

Judy in Daly City, California

32 months ago

FA NJ in Mount Holly, New Jersey said: I applied for delta I finished the online interview, but haven't heard anything back. Do they call you or send you an email for the f2f interview or they send you an email to let you know you weren't selected? Also is it true that they paY you 1,860 for training and is about 7 to 8 weeks intern Atlanta? And how's the payment that you get 3K for first year? Thanks for the info!
the training pay at delta is $18xx/monthly. So you got $2xxx for seven weeks training.
Delta junior FAs got paid really well as compared to a lot of other carriers. And no cleaning the aircraft like Southwest FAs do. I fly around 100 hours too and manage to have 15 days off each month. Making about $4000 before tax. It's my second year of flying.

jencanfly in Roberta, Georgia

32 months ago

i also am waiting for my f2f invite..my vi was jan 11

32 months ago

Judy in Daly City, California said: the training pay at delta is $18xx/monthly. So you got $2xxx for seven weeks training.
Delta junior FAs got paid really well as compared to a lot of other carriers. And no cleaning the aircraft like Southwest FAs do. I fly around 100 hours too and manage to have 15 days off each month. Making about $4000 before tax. It's my second year of flying.

Well that's what I need! Specially the schedule! How can you manage to work only 2 weeks at month? Won't they assign you a route?

32 months ago

Judy in Daly City, California said: the training pay at delta is $18xx/monthly. So you got $2xxx for seven weeks training.

Well that's what I need! Specially the schedule! How can you manage to work only 2 weeks at month? Won't they assign you a route? Thanks for info

32 months ago

Well that's what I need! Specially the schedule! How can you manage to work only 2 weeks at month? Won't they assign you a route? Thanks for your reply! :)

32 months ago

jencanfly in Roberta, Georgia said: i also am waiting for my f2f invite..my vi was jan 11

I'm still waiting too...you gave me a hope, maybe I haven't hear back because they will send my invitation to F2F? :) I've worked for United Airlines before. I o now they take long time to hire, the process is too long, they're not in rush....

PVPV in Palm Bay, Florida

31 months ago

Whats the least hours a flight attendant can work? Can someone become a flight attendant and work very little? I like the idea of being able to travel for free. I have always wanted to become a flight attendant so I can travel for free. When I traveled over seas before I talked with this flight attendant guy who said he works this job, because he enjoys traveling. He mentioned he worked for the military before and had retired from the military. He had a pension from that, so he had some steady money coming in. He just worked as a flight attendant, because he enjoyed traveling. Can someone please advise me? I believe i explained my situation. In a few years I believe I will have some income coming in from other sources to not totally rely on the flight attendant pay. However, I would like to work this job because I like to travel. Thanks, Much appreciated. I look forward to hearing some comments.

Jessica in Clermont, Florida

25 months ago

Can anyone tell me how much my salary as a new Spirit FA would be? I know we are guaranteed 72 hours a month. I'm having difficulty calculating this. Does spirit offer a pension plan? I'm curious if this job will pay me a livable wage? I am able to accept the my duty hours will not be equal to my flight pay hours, but only if I can live comfortably. Please help.

MyDestination2018 in Los Angeles, California

19 months ago

Kimberly2000 in Birmingham, Alabama said: 28 per hour is after years and years of service. Search a little bit deeper on the Internet and you'll learn the real truth about pay. Can you survive on 18k-20k a year? I was nieve about this also until I really did my research. It is very very very deceiving.

I agree with you 100%.
I was naive and double stupid for paying to an Airline Academy in Florida and losing money, time, and empty promises. What a waist!
I learned a very bad life lesson. No one can live on that yearly salary. Max flight hours 70-75 per month times $17- or - $22 (after some years of experience ) makes below 25k a year, which qualifies you for the poverty line in USA.
No wander people leave after training or later on.

MyDestination2018 in Los Angeles, California

19 months ago

Jessica in Clermont, Florida said: Can anyone tell me how much my salary as a new Spirit FA would be? I know we are guaranteed 72 hours a month. I'm having difficulty calculating this. Does spirit offer a pension plan? I'm curious if this job will pay me a livable wage? I am able to accept the my duty hours will not be equal to my flight pay hours, but only if I can live comfortably. Please help.

Very simple. Most of the regional airlines pay the same, that is $16 or $17 per flight hour. So, do the math $16 times 72 makes $1152 a month, times 12 makes less than $14,000 a year. To answer your question, this is clearly considered poverty line in USA which makes you qualified for food stamps, so, in short, "No" you can't live with that kind of money.

LINNY in Lake Grove, New York

14 months ago

[QUOTE who="Buzzard in Los Angeles, California

Also another FYI; there are other things that are able to be "excluded" from your taxes, such as uniform cleaning and union dues, etc.
But I have been in discussions with FA's before about some things they swear they can exclude which are NOT excludable.
Just because you claim something and it "goes through" doesn't mean its "OK". It just means they have not caught up to you yet.(with an audit )
There is a lot of bogus info floated by "tax preparers". Be careful.
If you get audited; your "tax preparer" may argue for you but I guarantee you they will "NOT" pay the bill.

I was a flight attendant for over a decade but have been working for the IRS for several years now. You are right when it comes to people claiming deductions on the tax returns for various things, and may not have gotten rejected (yet), but that does not mean those deductions are allowed. They just haven’t gotten caught or audited (yet), and if the do, they will need to pay back with interest and penalties which may be larger than the amount of deductions they tried to claim, because IRS will charge penalties & interest computed from the original due date of that tax return, which may be several years ago! Also may get charged additional/special penalties if deemed to have claimed no-no’s on the return intentionally or knowingly(and YOU become liable, not the preparer). Once audited, it may increase your chances of future audits or reviews, so it’s better avoided for those few dollars of sneaky deductions not worth the risk. For FAs, most deductions, even stretched, seldom add up to surpass the standard deduction amount; albeit exceptions exist.Preparers charge extra for filing Schedule A (itemized deductions), even if they know IRS will correct it to standard deductions if rejected.

Nayajan in Des Plaines, Illinois

3 months ago

Hello i need at least $3000 per month right now to get stabilized my financial.As a new or reserve flight attendant how can reach my goal .i have upcoming f2f interview with UA and 78 hrs per month not enough for me until people get their line holding. Can you please explain how can Make 100 hr per month? Thank you

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.