chair rental vs. commision

Comments (12)

true colors/karen hahnel in Rochester, New York

132 months ago

If you have a reasonable clientel it is worth about $600 extra a month . The initial costs are aprox. as follows renters licence $30 per year, insurance about $150,dba about $50. you buy supplies colors,perms etc for your customers. towels are supplied but you may have to wash etc. Taxes are easy using the schedule c (basicaly you deduct your suplies, rent other costs from your gross) ( You keep a weekly journal of cost versus daily income) Remember your income is 50% higher do to no more commision so you are paying the same percentage on a higher gross income. (It apears that you are paying more however you are taking in more.) You make the rules and set the prices, offer specials as you see fit.You are basicaly running you own business without the major overhead of the building,rge etc.

The disadvatages are: You are responsible for growing or enticeing new clientel. You will have to send out letters initialy as well as periodicaly advertise to get more clientel. Walk ins are usualy few No medical hmo plans are offered. Feel free to contact Karen Hahnel @ 272 8820 ( True colors hair design) or home 334 5130 We rent @ $25 per day, give 2 weeks free to offset your start up costs. We will answer your questions no strings attached.

Michelle in Rochester, New York

130 months ago

I guess it depends on the area, I live in Rochester,NY the most I would pay is 150-200$ a week. If you were in a upity area you could probally charge more. Its so hard to tell because changing to renting sounds scary to me because there is so many other pay outs the stylist has to figure out. Taxes, insuance and so on.

I hope this can help, good luck I'm going to check out your product I've never heard f it before.

Thanks,
Michelle

travel hair dresser in Bronx, New York

86 months ago

Michelle in Rochester, New York said: I have been doing hair for 5 years and have a pretty steady clintel. I have been wondering if renting a chair will bring in more income? Is there any one who rents a chair who could give me first hand information? I know I would have to get my own product and pay my own taxes but is it worth it???

Would you give up renting and offer to go into your clients home? look between the pros and cons.Travel hair dressers being going into clients since 2010 and its worth it 100%,with about $20 per day you can make about $500 or more depending on what you are doing,much more convenient than sitting in a salon all day.travelhairdresser@yahoo.com for more info.

FANNY Kelechian in Richmond Hill, Ontario

30 months ago

My renter wants to put a sign just for him in the front of the salon offering 50% off his services. He doesn't understand why I don't want to. I don;t want him to do that. What is your opinion?

Fanny K.

Kevin F. in Rosemead, California

29 months ago

Hello. In California, a new law was passed called Bill 1513. Basically any commission based employee needs to also be paid an hourly rate during their down time. Waiting for clients, folding towels, answer calls, etc. This is causing havoc among salon owners where it almost isn't worth it to do commission style compensation any more in California.

My wife is a stylist and her salon is getting around it by having her sign an independent contact where they are "renting a chair" to her but instead of her paying a daily/weekly rental rate to the salon, she pays them via a % of whatever she makes for services rendered.

Getting the word out there.

Geneva Fishman in Washington, District of Columbia

24 months ago

What is the most attractive way to entice stylists to come to your salon? I'm open to sliding commission or renting or whatever creative ideas people have that will bring in stylists and keep them here.

Flor vasquez Vasquez in Greenwich, Connecticut

11 months ago

I have a beautiful Salon in Greenwich Ct it is an amzing location I will love to have a creative talented Hair stilyst, to rent or excelent comission it will be a great opportunity to grow your omw busness.

PilorumSalonandSpa in Morton Grove, Illinois

7 months ago

Here is a great blog post on commission vs. rental. I hope this helps anyone looking for information! <a href="pilorumsalonandspa.com/blog/salon-booth-rental-vs-commission/">here</a>

PilorumSalonandSpa in Morton Grove, Illinois

7 months ago

Here is a great blog post on commission vs. rental. I hope this helps anyone looking for information!pilorumsalonandspa.com/blog/salon-booth-rental-vs-commission/

SalonJules in Parker, Colorado

1 month ago

I think buying a good salon chair is essential part of any home salon. I wrote an article about it.
salonstyling.com/10-best-salon-chairs-in-2019-reviews-and-buyers-guide/

BeautyArtist in Chicago, Illinois

7 hours ago

Flor vasquez Vasquez in Greenwich, Connecticut said: I have a beautiful Salon in Greenwich Ct it is an amzing location I will love to have a creative talented Hair stilyst, to rent or excelent comission it will be a great opportunity to grow your omw busness.

Have you considered looking at and visiting highly talented students in cosmetology schools who are completing their training? Sometimes as salon owners we are looking for stylists with heir own following as opposed to getting a student with talent that can be groomed and trained to become a great stylist. Find the ones that are coachable train them and give them the support they need with building. Give them some tasks inside and outside of the salon to be responsible for when they are not busy. Treat them well and they will be respectful and want to stay with you.

BeautyArtist in Chicago, Illinois

7 hours ago

Geneva Fishman in Washington, District of Columbia said: What is the most attractive way to entice stylists to come to your salon? I'm open to sliding commission or renting or whatever creative ideas people have that will bring in stylists and keep them here.

What does your salon look like? Is it clean organized well lit and fashionable. If you are looking for young 20-30 something stylists they are very keen on detail and salon environment.. Be sure that your salon has that high end look. and you can have that look without the high end price. Start there first and then try visiting some cosmetology schools and speaking getting to know some of the stylists and have a few come visit your salon for a shadow day.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.