HVAC Tech career progression

Comments (4)

mcintoshmc in Glendale, California

35 months ago

Can someone help me understand the career progression of an HVAC Tech in California? This is what I know so far.

1) HS Diploma
2) I know there are other discussions, but for this discussion lets say Attend a trade school, and get a certificate.
3) Take the EPA 608 exam to get type 1,2,3 or universal license.
4) what do you do now??? I know you need 4 years experience to get your C20 contractors license, but what types of jobs can you get before you get the 4 years experience.

Thanks.

35 months ago

mcintoshmc in Glendale, California said: Can someone help me understand the career progression of an HVAC Tech in California? This is what I know so far.

2) I know there are other discussions, but for this discussion lets say Attend a trade school, and get a certificate.

I meant I know there are other options

35 months ago

bump*

BKNY in Brooklyn, New York

29 months ago

You get in as a helper/apprentice. School wont teach you to become a mechanic. On the service side; You will be driving for parts, stocking warehouses or whatever until either a mechanic shows you how to repair and replace when you go to assist him on a job, or you pick up stuff by watching him work. If you are lucky they pair you with a guy who teaches and you wont have to go much grunt work, but that depends on the mechanic and the company culture.

After maybe 2 years or more (depends how much you know and/or are taught) they will throw you out there to the wolves, where you try to figure things out on your own. Could take 5+ years to become decent.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.