Trouble finding jobs

Comments (3)

Will in Syracuse, New York

38 months ago

I went to a six month program for hvac and got osha certified and universal epa also. After I graduated over 8 months ago im still unable to find a job right now. Almost everyone in the class was picked up by a company right away and im here working at a coffee shop. It doesnt help that i was the only one in the class that didnt have any mechanical experience at all, ive only really worked in food service. I also had so much trouble in class to understanding everything and didnt very good grades no matter how many hours i spent after class studying and reading. Ive applying to nearly every company in a 30 mile radius, and only have gotten three interviews. needless to say I didnt get hired because i was told it was my lack of experience. after reading other posts on here im starting to wonder if i made a mistake? nobody wants to hire me until i have 3-5 years experience, and im really starting to get worried and want to give up. Ive been going in and out of severe depression because of this decision. any help someone can give me will be appriciated.

Dave in Saratoga, California

38 months ago

Move to Boston. Syracuse will be tough because there are only a few companies hiring. In Boston area there are many companies hiring HVAC. Find one with an entry level opening. In case you are worried about cost of living... there are some areas of Mass. that are less expensive than Syracuse.

BKNY in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

March- april is hiring season. Try for those months and keep applying. Look for hvac helper, maintenance helper (might have you do lights and painting too, but its a job) or other similar jobs. Dont worry about pay, just get your foot in there. Go in person to apply, HVAC companies dont like lazy people... lazy people can get techs killed, unmotivated techs are everywhere... especially the young ones- so apply in person, and show up again in a few months, talk to service managers, let them know you are serious- joke with them and tell them you will clean the floors if you have to- break out of your comfort zone, do everything you can to break the 4th wall.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.