Grace period to massge without a license??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Holly in Decatur, Illinois

114 months ago

I am about to graduate a massage therapy school in Illinois the first week of February. I have already been sending my resume out stating that I will be a graduate in February '09 and will be taking the National Certification Exam within the same month. Today I received a response to my resume from a spa here in Illinois asking me if I am allowed to practice even though I don't have my license yet and told me that there is usually a grace period in which you can do so? This is a very reputable salon, so I assumed maybe they just knew something that I didn't, because I was never under the impression that I could begin practicing massage until I had my license. I am just wanted to find out if there is such thing as a "grace period" in which you can begin practicing massage before you have your license??

TTF in Chicago, Illinois

114 months ago

No, I don't think there is, especially if you havn't passed the National test.

Alexa in Beloit, Wisconsin

106 months ago

No, Holly............you cannot work anywhere without a certificate or license (in some states). If anyone is allowing you to, they would be risking their license if anything were to happen while under their employ. I have been in practice for 20yrs and am licensed in Washington State and Wisconsin and it is the same everywhere. Laws are getting tougher too and that is a good thing for the sake of being sued for Malpractice.

Sally in West Palm Beach, Florida

105 months ago

Holly in Decatur, Illinois said: I am about to graduate a massage therapy school in Illinois the first week of February. I have already been sending my resume out stating that I will be a graduate in February '09 and will be taking the National Certification Exam within the same month. Today I received a response to my resume from a spa here in Illinois asking me if I am allowed to practice even though I don't have my license yet and told me that there is usually a grace period in which you can do so? This is a very reputable salon, so I assumed maybe they just knew something that I didn't, because I was never under the impression that I could begin practicing massage until I had my license. I am just wanted to find out if there is such thing as a "grace period" in which you can begin practicing massage before you have your license??

Never assume that an employer or a potential employer know more about your license than you. As it will be yours, it is
your repsonsibility to know wether you can practice or if there is a limbo period. Trust me they don't care if you get nailed!!

Cia in Seattle, Washington

75 months ago

Alexa in Beloit, Wisconsin said: No, Holly............you cannot work anywhere without a certificate or license (in some states). If anyone is allowing you to, they would be risking their license if anything were to happen while under their employ. I have been in practice for 20yrs and am licensed in Washington State and Wisconsin and it is the same everywhere. Laws are getting tougher too and that is a good thing for the sake of being sued for Malpractice.

Hi Alexa, I have a question,].. If I get licensed in WA state, will I be able to use that certificate to work in Chicago, IL or am I going to have to start from square one again with new classes? Do you know any of this info.. if so, your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Monica in Chicago, Illinois

16 months ago

So what I am see is that if you're certified, can practice.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.